User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 30 Dec 2009, 11:13   #51
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Planetarion the game we love to hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post
Of course thats not the best or most efficient answer, but it seriously highlights how simple the work around is. And why most reasons or excuses to not have graphics are inadequate.
The main reason why we don't have graphics is we have no one to make them. It's a pretty fundamental flaw in most pro-graphics arguments. If Pete wants to pay, he can. We've had discussions about graphics for ages, from battle scenes (even generated based on sizes of battles) and 3d galaxy statuses to little icons for research/construction and a planet overview. One day we might get them, then we can look at adding them into the game!
Unread 30 Dec 2009, 12:11   #52
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

Didn't mrlobster give some graphics like a year ago?

http://classicplanetarion.blogspot.com/

I could find that quickly, but i'm sure i also saw some construction related gfx etc.
Unread 30 Dec 2009, 12:57   #53
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by berten View Post
Didn't mrlobster give some graphics like a year ago?

http://classicplanetarion.blogspot.com/

I could find that quickly, but i'm sure i also saw some construction related gfx etc.
Sounds like Mr Lobster is getting drafted :P
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2009, 15:42   #54
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

3 cheers for Mr Lobster \o/

p.s. appoco go back to earlier in the thread, the question was raised whether paying somebody to develop a facebook app is a waste of resources... could be used for gfx... etc etc.
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2010, 18:37   #55
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

When it comes to full GUI / Mobile GUI, uhm..We did have this even back in the days of Planetarion...Is it no longer there?
In ManagerLeague, if you go to www.managerleague.com you get the web-version with sugar-coating, but if you go to mob.managerleague.com you get an interface for handheld devices (black text on a white background, works with pretty much all mobile-phones made the past 6 years). Such an extra interface is pretty easily made, and it should not stand in the way of improving the main GUI of the game.
Make the game free and then charge a credit for access to stuff like the mobile interface? Maybe some sms-warnings of attacks and whatnot as added value?
I'd love to give it a chance if I could afford to buy it back though, who knows what could happen (-:

Just my 2 cents...
Unread 5 Jan 2010, 21:34   #56
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

spinner <3
i hope life has been treating you well
Unread 6 Jan 2010, 08:48   #57
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Thanks, Aryn! Up and down, AS with most of us :-)
Unread 6 Jan 2010, 12:40   #58
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
Sounds like Mr Lobster is getting drafted :P
Tbh, there's always been plenty of people in the PA community who can code, and plenty of people in the PA community that can do graphics design. "Not having the right people" is a bollocks excuse given the resources that are available to them.

And while Mr Lobster has done some graphics specifically for PA, I know of at least one other graphics designer that'd literally blow you away with what he can do.

Seriously, if it's a case of not having the right people, you'd have thought you'd have seen "Wanted: People who know what the **** they're doing" Announcements YEARS ago.
Unread 6 Jan 2010, 12:47   #59
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Tbh, there's always been plenty of people in the PA community who can code, and plenty of people in the PA community that can do graphics design. "Not having the right people" is a bollocks excuse given the resources that are available to them.

And while Mr Lobster has done some graphics specifically for PA, I know of at least one other graphics designer that'd literally blow you away with what he can do.

Seriously, if it's a case of not having the right people, you'd have thought you'd have seen "Wanted: People who know what the **** they're doing" Announcements YEARS ago.
Just out of curiosity, is there a 3D-modeller here then, who can design , texture and render ships etc? With a high level of quality?
Unread 6 Jan 2010, 13:00   #60
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing a 3D modelling module at uni starting this semmester

Not an immediate solution, right enough - but if a talentless drab such as myself could do it, I'm sure there'll be others who're capable.
Unread 6 Jan 2010, 13:30   #61
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Now Kenny gets offered a Job @ ManaguerLeague

Bye bye, Kenny...

@Spinner: Making this game be a "well" known game with 3k Players online at the same time like in ManagerLeague, woulnt that be a challenge for you?

Does anyone know what Pete payed for "Planetarion"?

Why not make a "new" game, similar but with a new name?

There are a lot of ppl that would actually help you, my dearest Spinner.

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2010, 13:38   #62
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post

We have put several of these out (including one of me looking for a depty, who I wanted to take over from me). We've trialled around 10 'community coders' in the last 3 or so years both from public requests and more private invitations to code. We've had 3 attempts at a passport (one of which got past starting), the now-unused disband code, alliance limit counted code and half of the bot code from it. A few of those people even got full access to the code in return, and, despite having been NDAed, that's still slightly worrying.
Anyway, it's left the PA team slightly cynical when asking for coding help.
Also, the more coders, the more members required for a development team to find things to code, the more work required to run the team, and give it direction, etc.
Unread 6 Jan 2010, 13:54   #63
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
... half of the bot code from it. A few of those people even got full access to the code in return, and, despite having been NDAed, that's still slightly worrying.
Anyway, it's left the PA team slightly cynical when asking for coding help.
Also, the more coders, the more members required for a development team to find things to code, the more work required to run the team, and give it direction, etc.
One of them beeing me, and, sorry for that, I didn't manage enough to help.

It's hard if you dont have the time for it and don't get nothing from it.

What PA needs is someone beeing as dedicated as Spinner,fudge, etc were...
Not you, you have other things "irl" to do.

I don't know about Cin, but PA definately needs more commitment from everyone that is involved to succeed...

I dont blame you, as I know that you cannot do more then you are doing.

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2010, 05:18   #64
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

did spinner just hint he wants to rebuy planetarion jsut then ?

edit; ERGHH the shocked smiley is vile. change it from blue. deary me... !
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2010, 16:09   #65
t3k
The Video Guy

He's tried on a few occassions afaik, Caj.

atm it's owned by zPeti who's using it as a platform to build/market another game/use it as a source of income. he has zero interest in the game, in advancing Planetarion or even ironing out the flaws the game has at the moment.

I'd rather Spinner make a new game to rival Planetarion though, and go on to mop the floor with it. A large portion of PA would leave to play Spinner's new game, with some staying behind to take advantage of a smaller playerbase in search of a victory (irrespective of how hollow said victory would be) but would come around eventually.

Being a new product, and having somebody in charge that ACTUALLY knows how to market a game (and the means to do so) would give a far superior playerbase to anything PA is ever going to see again.