User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Mar 2003, 09:59   #1
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
History of the word Leet?

Who claims to invented it?
Is it exclusive to PA?
Whats the definition?
whats the proper spelling?
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:03   #2
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
dunno
no
leet or l33t stands for elite basically (well thats what i have been told from day 0)
in which case the proper spelling is probably elite. but the spelling of leet could be most things.

oi and what happened to your eclipse?
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:04   #3
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Definition:

leet

Pollack \Pol"lack\, n. [Cf. G. & D. pollack, and Gael. pollag a little pool, a sort of fish.] (Zo["o]l.) (a) A marine gadoid food fish of Europe (Pollachius virens). Called also greenfish, greenling, lait, leet, lob, lythe, and whiting pollack. (b) The American pollock; the coalfish.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:10   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
It's been around for a very very long time, far longer than PA has existed. I first encountered it back in the days of gaming online in QuakeWorld, and I think you'll find it entered PA culture because many of the players came from a FPS background. Who invented it and how it came into FPS culture however I haven't got a clue.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:11   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
1. No idea.

2. No, afaik also used in CS/Quake-clan type circles. Unlikely it's unique since the term is wide spread on google (with the spelling of l33t tho). There are numerous domains registered involving the word to.

3. (i) Someone of the "elite" - best of the best, player with skillz. The opposite of a n00b.

(ii) Something very good or cool, having attributes that are highly desirable, etc. "The new Radeon Ultra Bollox is leet", etc.

(iii) leet-speek - a dialect used by on-line communities. Originally probably partially derived from phreaker and hacker speak. On some warez BBSs (back in the day) eVeRY oNe TYPeD LiKE THiS or some variation (I think that was warez speak, I forget, I only tried it once to get onto the 4th Reich (pro-NAZI warez bbs for some reason...) when 13 and the bloke said "Ah bollocks to it", in the middle of the conversation and started typing normally).

Basically l33t speak was used by the warez types to differentiate themselves from n00bs. Unlike nowdays there were no Peer-to-peer networks, you needed to be given access to someones BBS site. So everything depended on how leet you were. This community still exists to a certain extent until recently with news from www.isonews.com. I've no idea how many of the groups still exist (Razor 1911, etc, etc) and if they still type like morons.

I believe the original point to a lot of this nonsense was that Sysadmins would search for "Software" but not "warez". Possibly.

"Modern" leet speak seems to have dropped most of the cap-deforming actions but still pisses about with everyone second word. There are numerous leet translators on the web.

4. l33t or leet I'd say.

All my humble opinion, mostly wrong, etc, etc.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:13   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
http://www.angelfire.com/on3/slavia/leethistory.html
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:15   #7
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
thats quite amusing
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:32   #8
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
I first heard it back in 95-96 or something in the QuakeWorld community.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 12:58   #9
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
That's funny.

The word also has connections with the first great computer game, Elite, which was the first computer game to have a world-wide competition (how many kills you could get in 2 hours, starting from scratch). The winner alledgedly scored 1337, and so the "word" grew from connotations with that event.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 13:00   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by ELeeming
The word also has connections with the first great computer game, Elite, which was the first computer game to have a world-wide competition (how many kills you could get in 2 hours, starting from scratch). The winner alledgedly scored 1337, and so the "word" grew from connotations with that event.
I forgot about the Elite link, but yes it's definitely relevent.

The 1337 score is almost certainly fantasy, but it's an amusing story.
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 13:07   #11
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
I doubt its possible to kill 1337 ships in two hours in Elite

hm maybe in a anarchistic sytem but you still have to kill about 167 ships each 15 minutes..
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 13:10   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
hm maybe in a anarchistic sytem but you still have to kill about 167 ships each 15 minutes..
Even if it is possible (in Frontier it is, in Riedquat or Lave with a **** load of shield generators and the Shift-F5 buttons jammed down) it's too much of a coincidence.
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 13:26   #13
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
I forgot about the Elite link, but yes it's definitely relevent.

The 1337 score is almost certainly fantasy, but it's an amusing story.
That's why I said alledgedly. Killing over 11 ships a minute would be pretty hard.

Although, now I think about it, I think money counted towards the final score, so you never know.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 00:14   #14
SpecialK

SpecialK is an unknown quantity at this point
Not really a look into the history of l33tspeak, but quite amusing:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030110.html
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote