User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:26   #1
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
The sun revolves around the Earth

And I will believe this until someone proves me wrong.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:27   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Re: The sun revolves around the Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
You are stupid
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:27   #3
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
You are correct.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:27   #4
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Is this the same Sub that was with WST last night?

And how did you get 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' into your rank? I didn't think the field was that large.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:29   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It does, if you define the earth as the rest frame. You then have to have all sorts of silly maths to explain the orbit of the sun though.

This is where Occam's Razor comes into play.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:29   #6
Sub
Banned

Re: Re: The sun revolves around the Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
You are stupid
If you're so smart, disprove my point!

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED

And how did you get 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' into your rank? I didn't think the field was that large.
No, I'm the good one.
And look carefully at the letters
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:29   #7
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
I reckon that the earth is round and the Sun isnt the same star every day. A new one is launched into the sky each day which goes across the diameter of the flat earth.

CLEARLY.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:30   #8
Sub
Banned

There are no such things as stars (other than the sun). They are just lights a few hundred km away from the Earths surface.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:31   #9
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
It does, if you define the earth as the rest frame. You then have to have all sorts of silly maths to explain the orbit of the sun though.

This is where Occam's Razor comes into play.
wouldn't this 'silly maths' make newton/kepler a tad upset?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:32   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Occam's Razor you goon
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:33   #11
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
So far this thread isnt enough of a paradox to warrant the collapse of the known universe
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:35   #12
Idi

Quote:
Occam's Razor you goon
when all things are equal, the simplest solution is most likely the correct one

i watched contact yesterday.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:43   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
when all things are equal, the simplest solution is most likely the correct one

i watched contact yesterday.
That's a really terrible wording of it.

Bloody Jodie Foster.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:45   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
That's a really terrible wording of it.

Bloody Jodie Foster.
Proper one, complete with a comic strip
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:47   #15
Sub
Banned

I feel we are moving offtopic somewhat.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:48   #16
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
I reckon that the earth is round and the Sun isnt the same star every day. A new one is launched into the sky each day which goes across the diameter of the flat earth.

CLEARLY.
lo Xenophanes of Colophon.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:54   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

The Earth revolves around Pavarotti.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:54   #18
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
Everything is relative...
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:01   #19
Ragnarak

Quote:
Occam's Razor you goon
start off with the assumption that i'm stupid

doesn't the sun rotates around the earth "theory" disagree with newton/kepler?

is it actually possible to 'complicate' matters so that it obeys them and still works?

if you can't complicate them enough with the 'silly maths' to obey them then doesn't that mean Occams Razor is irrelevant

or is the fact that we believe the basis of newtons/keplers equations the 'simple solution' itself?

i'm rambling but you always pull occams razor out of the bag and i still don't think i understand it properly :/

enlighten

ta
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:03   #20
Sub
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Everything is relative...
Relativity isn't.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:04   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
or is the fact that we believe the basis of newtons/keplers equations the 'simple solution' itself?
Well, we don't actually (General Relativity and all), but at the time they were the simplest explanation.

Physics is, and always will be, an approximation. That's the nature of empiricism.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:08   #22
Ragnarak

Quote:
Well, we don't actually
i didn't say we agreed with them in their entirety but the basis of them

replace where i said "newton/kepler" with "relativistically compensated newton/kepler" if that's any better

or if not whichever theory you consider to be the accepted one that currently models celestial mechanics

anyway back to you explaining how Occam's Razor is relevant here.... :)
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:09   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
NEWTON ISNT RIGHT

EINSTEIN ISNT RIGHT

THEY WERE JUST THE 'SIMPLEST' APPROXIMATIONS
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:15   #24
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
NEWTON ISNT RIGHT

EINSTEIN ISNT RIGHT

Is it not the case that the persons you refer to i.e Newton and Einstien are ever so slightly dead? Therefore your statement should say.

NEWTON WASN'T RIGHT

EINSTEIN WASN'T RIGHT

Or have they been cloned, reincarnated or otherwise brought back to life?
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:20   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Newton, etc being shorthand for 'Newtonian Theory'
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:34   #26
Ragnarak

Quote:
NEWTON ISNT RIGHT

EINSTEIN ISNT RIGHT

yes

i thought we had established that

what i'm asking is what exactly is this 'silly maths' that makes a geo-centric solar system work?

and mustn't it at least 'almost' agree with newton/kepler as they were as you said, simple approximations

ie. it can't completely disagree with newton/kepler

or can it?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:52   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
or can it?
Given a geocentric solar system has to use 'epicycles' (an orbit which looks kind of like a spirograph), I think it does disagree somewhat.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 19:58   #28
Ragnarak

Quote:
Given a geocentric solar system has to use 'epicycles' (an orbit which looks kind of like a spirograph), I think it does disagree somewhat.
that is kinda my point

when i said "it can't completely disagree with newton/kepler" i meant "it's not allowed to completely disagree with newton/kepler as for all their innaccuracies they are still valid approximations"

we have one theory we know is 'roughly' correct

can another theory that disagrees with the first still be a valid approximation to what is observed?

i don't see how but maybe you do
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:06   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
can another theory that disagrees with the first still be a valid approximation to what is observed?
It disagrees in metaphysical reality rather than prediction; as long as it gets the same result out in terms of orbits, it can be as complicated as you like. Hence Occam's Razor.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:09   #30
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Occam's Razor you goon
"When the truth is too hard to handle, take the easiest option".

Sub is correct, you are all just victims of a communist plot dating back several centuries.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:15   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
"When the truth is too hard to handle, take the easiest option".

Sub is correct, you are all just victims of a communist plot dating back several centuries.
I thought it was the illuminated ones
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:16   #32
Ragnarak

Quote:
It disagrees in metaphysical reality rather than prediction; as long as it gets the same result out in terms of orbits, it can be as complicated as you like. Hence Occam's Razor.
does a geocentric solar system give the same results regarding orbits though?

does it actually 'work'? is it possible to come up with a working (albeit extremely complicated) model that agrees in prediction with a helio-centric solar system?

does making it work involve inventing a whole new system of celestial mechanics to go along with it? or will it work in conjucture with what we accept at the moment?

i understand why you said 'occams razor' now and i know using the word 'impossible' is stupid (so won't) but doesn't a theory have to at least exist before occam's razor discounts it?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:26   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
does it actually 'work'? is it possible to come up with a working (albeit extremely complicated) model that agrees in prediction with a helio-centric solar system?
I mentioned this earlier... 'epicycles'. You won't get an elliptical orbit, or anything like it, but if you expect it you're just PREJUDICED.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:28   #34
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED

Used to be possible to get it longer, after improving the html a little. Just checked, seems they changed it...
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:31   #35
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
does a geocentric solar system give the same results regarding orbits though?

does making it work involve inventing a whole new system of celestial mechanics to go along with it? or will it work in conjucture with what we accept at the moment?

i understand why you said 'occams razor' now and i know using the word 'impossible' is stupid (so won't) but doesn't a theory have to at least exist before occam's razor discounts it?
without gravity (and newton's three laws of motion), there is no reason why celestial objects can't take whatever damn route they want through the heavens.

So yes, geocentric works. It's just that with geocentric you get all kinds of crazy curlicues and so on.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:31   #36
Ragnarak

Quote:
I mentioned this earlier... 'epicycles'. You won't get an elliptical orbit, or anything like it, but if you expect it you're just PREJUDICED.
ok

the orbit shape is irrelevant isn't it?

the predictions we're concerned with are more along the lines of "if i look at this piece of sky here at this time i will see this" aren't they?

do both theories 'work' in the sense that they agree with each other on this prediction?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:33   #37
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
without gravity (and newton's three laws of motion), there is no reason why celestial objects can't take whatever damn route they want through the heavens.

So yes, geocentric works. It's just that with geocentric you get all kinds of crazy curlicues and so on.
that's why i said, "does making it work involve inventing a whole new system of celestial mechanics to go along with it?"

so you're saying we'd forget about newton and come up with a new theory that gives the same predictions as newton but allows the orbit path to be different?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:33   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
do both theories 'work' in the sense that they agree with each other on this prediction?
I believe that the Moon is being pulled through the sky by a giant beetle, which gradually eats and regurgitates it in a cycle lasting about 30 days.

That agrees with predictions, doesn't it?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:38   #39
Ragnarak

Quote:
I believe that the Moon is being pulled through the sky by a giant beetle, which gradually eats and regurgitates it in a cycle lasting about 30 days.

That agrees with predictions, doesn't it?
yes

so a geocentric system would still give the same predictions as a kepler/newton based system?

the position of the sun in the epicycle system relative to the earth at a certain time would be the same as that in the kepler system?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:45   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
so a geocentric system would still give the same predictions as a kepler/newton based system?

the position of the sun in the epicycle system relative to the earth at a certain time would be the same as that in the kepler system?
Theres no inherent predictions of a geocentric or helioentric model. It all depends on the numbers you put in.

If you want to make it reach the same predictions, you can.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:50   #41
Sub
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Do you know what's rich? They managed to convince these people that light is both a particle, and a wave! And they call me stupid.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:52   #42
Ragnarak

Quote:
Theres no inherent predictions of a geocentric or helioentric model. It all depends on the numbers you put in.

If you want to make it reach the same predictions, you can.
that feels like cheating tho :/

by 'numbers' i'm assuming you mean things such as G, g, Mass of Earth, Mass of Sun, radius of orbit, etc

aren't some (all?) of those numbers required to be a specific value so that other phenomena work as we predict eg. radiation from sun, throwing a javelin, etc

wouldn't making the numbers what you needed to be also require you altering just about everything in physics?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:54   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
wouldn't making the numbers what you needed to be also require you altering just about everything in physics?
Different model, sweety.

You might as well say that our current model involved altering all the numbers from the old model.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:58   #44
Ragnarak

Quote:
Different model, sweety.
a heliocentric model has a set of accepted values that gives a prediction close to what is observed

a geocentric model has a set of values that gives a prediction close to what is observed

the 'set of values' are not the same for both models
so a geocentric model would also involve everything else being different or working by a different model?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 20:59   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Probably only a differing understanding of gravity, although it's hard to see how they would hold such inconsistent views about the gravitational force and, say, electrostatics.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:04   #46
Sub
Banned

What is gravity?
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:06   #47
Ragnarak

Quote:
Probably only a differing understanding of gravity, although it's hard to see how they would hold such inconsistent views about the gravitational force and, say, electrostatics.
think we've reached the same conclusion now

probably
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:11   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
What is gravity?
The effect that we derive from the action of one property of a material, which we measure and refer to as mass, on the 'mass' of another object.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:32   #49
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Another way to put it is the effect mass has on other mass.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:33   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunga
Another way to put it is the effect mass has on other mass.
That's imprecise.