User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 13 May 2005, 09:24   #1
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
New computer causing problems

Hello. I built a new computer. All is good, except for when i try and install windows. Everytime i have to reformat the drive before windows will install it gets to 4% and the picture disappears but the computer keeps running. I suspected it was a problem with the graphics card, so i changed that for another one to see if it would make any difference, it doesnt

Im really stuck for ideas on this. Any suggestions (or a solution) would be brilliant.

Comp specs
- Gigabyte GV-3D1 with GA-K8NXP-SLI. Geforce Dual 6600GT Chip 256MB Graphics Accelerator bundled with GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard
- AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor
- Maxtor 6B200M0 Diamondmax 10 200GB 7200rpm Serial ATA150 8mb Cache - Oem
- Corsair (VS1GBKIT400C3) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL3, Memory Modules

Many thanks

Madina
Unread 13 May 2005, 12:36   #2
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: New computer causing problems

You tried formatting the HDD without windows? From external tools?

Or recreated the partition using Partition Magic maybe?

Hm, use another boot cd? User another windows CD?
Is it Windows Server 2003? Someone told me something similar...

Also make sure, the boot sector isn't occupied by some linux.
No other ideas for now....
Unread 13 May 2005, 17:47   #3
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: New computer causing problems

This is a brand new hdd and im installing windows onto it. Windows requires you to format it before you can install the OS. So basically all i can do is look at the bios and watch the windows setup start. That is all that happens.
Unread 14 May 2005, 12:23   #4
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Tried a diff version of Windows (I'm guessing your trying with XP there)

Other suggestion, try booting the machine from something like a Knoppix Linux LiveCD - see if it actually boots all the way and if its a problem with Windows or the machine.

Likelyhood is its Windows being a nuciance. Is it a SATA based drive? Could it be windows unable to work out how to use the controller? (was there a driver disk with the board - to insert when windows setup starts and says "Press F6 to add extra drivers".

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2005, 19:36   #5
Madina
TashTastic

Yes it is a SATA drive. I have been pressing F6 each time and installing the controller. I cant try with any other OS as i dont have any

I hadnt thought that it could be the controller casuing the problem. I shall look for an alternative controller for the hdd (if pos)
Unread 15 May 2005, 20:11   #6
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

I've seen issues with installing WinXP onto a SATA controller.

If you have a working machine, you can try "slipstreaming" service pack 2 and producing a new bootable CD with SP2 pre installed. This might help with the install.

Other than that, it could prove fun.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 08:27   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have an 3 SATA drives in my new pc, and I installed windows fine.
However, I used the latest version of XP Pro setup which has SP2 integrated into the install which may well have been why it worked. I also did not need to do the F6 thing as it detected my drives fine without it - have you tried to see if yours are?

If it helps, the SATA controller I'm using for all three harddisks is the nVidia one (out of nVidia and Silicon Image controllers available) on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe.
Unread 16 May 2005, 10:55   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I have two SATA drives, and my Windows install would stop too saying it couldn't find a disk it could install too.
Turning off SATA RAID in the BIOS did the trick.
However, since you only have one disk, and you install actually detects the disk, I doubt that would be it.
Unread 16 May 2005, 14:17   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

On an unrelated note, I've noticed odd behaviour while installing XP in the past. My HDD's are running from onboard RAID controllers. My original pre-SP1 cd will detect the controller & HDDs just fine, but I made a copy of my install cd with SP2 slipstreamed and it refuses to see the controller or drives, odd.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 17:56   #10
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

What about updating the bios? from aa floppy? can be done... bit complicated though..
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 12:42   #11
Madina
TashTastic

Its ok its all sorted now. Also i dont plan on flashing the bios