User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Oct 2004, 09:12   #1
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point
WLAN Routing

OK this is an idea that im trying to work out how to implement..

i have a wireless router that connects all my various machines to the internet.....

i have a pc in my bedroom along with my XBOX and tv.......

I want to route data from my XBOX, through my PC and out to 'tinternet.

HMMMMMM now I've set up my PC as a proxy, with a DCHP server so that the hub connecting my XBOX and pc can be serviced with a domain name (ie i can plug my Ethernet Cable from my PC into the WAN connection on the hub) and then i connected my XBOX to the LAN1 connection.....

now i can't see where there should be a problem with this, apart from the DCHP server on the PC dosen't seem to be working......

Anyone got any suggestions of some replacement software, any ideas what's wrong?

Anyone tried out the wireless network card for the XBOX? does it work?
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:10   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: WLAN Routing

Presuming your using XP it would seem youve 'done it the hard way'

Why not simply run the 'windows networking tool' thingy. Tell it you want to share the wireless network with the lan and itll be hunkey dorey.

it may seem overly simplistic to allow windows to do anything but ive never had a problem with it.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:45   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

if you have a wireless router, what do you need the pc for? cant the xbox just connect to the wireless router, get an ip from there and connect to the internet?

note: i have no real idea what im talking about. i only got 2 pcs and a notebook, all of them wired with good old-style 100MBit cables.

btw, talking about the subject: how safe is this whole wireless stuff? i mean could everyone listen to what im transfering over my network?
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 14:16   #4
melandron
Brain Overload

the reason I havent used the whole "click on this button to share your network" is that i've got a gatway box between the XBOX and the pc not a router so the PC has to act as a DCHP server as if it is the internet, not a LAN. As for just connecting the XBOX you the router.. I don't have the wireless card for the XBOX... i'm just seeing if it is possible though my current equipment!

Wireless lan can use Wireless Encription Protocols (WEP) to encript the data being sent over it making it "safe" ie as safe as anthing can be, a number of people don't turn WEP on allowing for open connections... hence were warchalking came from (people marking places where there's an open network with a chalk sign) I know a few people who live in flats and don't pay for their internet access due to someone in the block having an non WEP network!
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:30   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

please note, with my 2.4ghz mobile P4 laptop, I can undo your 128bit WEP code in a few hour.

So for your own safety, use WPA instead, a good 128bit WPA code will takes weeks, rather then hours, to crack.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:52   #6
melandron
Brain Overload

well if you'r gonna sit on my wall outside and spend two hours "hacking" into my wireless network to get an intermittent connection (quite a lot of lead piping on the ouside of my house) then good on ya... i don't really want to go building a Faraday Cage round my house!

Not when there's an open connection accross the road
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 21:27   #7
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

actaully, in case of a 64bit WEP, I'd give your Wlan 15 minutes, at most.

Ofcourse if there's an open Wlan across the road, well, they probably won't be trying to crack yours then :P

Oh and I assume this is a normal double brick walled house? If so I'm pretty certain I can sit across the street and still get around 2mbit, though it probably won't be like here, where I can sit 500 meters and quite a lot of buildings away and still get 11mbit/s (with my good antenna though, the smaller antenna won't pull that)

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 23:09   #8
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

- I've not heard of 64bit WEP, I'm pretty sure that anyone who enables WEP will chose 128bit anyway, now?

- Don't you need a couple of 100 Megs traffic logged to crack WEP? How long does the pure calculation take you say?