User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 27 Sep 2004, 12:59   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
[linux] email server performance

its more discussion than tech support :P

ok, heres a situation

we have an email server which serves the 50+ staff here plus some client websites etc.
its basically just sendmail, but it runs MailScanner which in turns calls sophos(anti virus) and spamassassin on the mail.
now those 3 (in particular spamassassin) are really hitting the performance, but i cant really disable them either.

what i was wondering is what ways are there to improve the speed of mail handling (preferably without upgrading the hardware), are there better versions of sendmail , spam assassin etc ?

server specs
duron 850
256 ram
some raid hd array (dual 60gigs i think)

kernel is 2.2.18 but i cant determine which distro it is.
probably suse (or openBSD, but only the really old boxes here have that)

edit : also, what ways are there to monitor mail queues, program's etc ?
(im aware of mrtg but its seems scary and complex)
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 14:45   #2
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: [linux] email server performance

hmm, does it really matter much if the mail takes 1 or 3 seconds to be handled?? After all, it's going to take a lot more time travelling across the internet.

On the other hand, if it's really critical it runs as fast as possible... Well, I'd suggest you'd start looking for newer/better (versions of) anti-virus software and anti-spam software. They're probably the biggest hit on system performance and newer version might reduce the load a little (or increase it, but hey, the only sure way to increase performance is to upgrade the hardware :P)

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 15:02   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

well the server is currently not processing mail before new one comes in (and hence a neverending queue forms)
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 20:47   #4
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: [linux] email server performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
hmm, does it really matter much if the mail takes 1 or 3 seconds to be handled?? After all, it's going to take a lot more time travelling across the internet.

On the other hand, if it's really critical it runs as fast as possible... Well, I'd suggest you'd start looking for newer/better (versions of) anti-virus software and anti-spam software. They're probably the biggest hit on system performance and newer version might reduce the load a little (or increase it, but hey, the only sure way to increase performance is to upgrade the hardware :P)
1) It might not make a difference for a single user, if his mail takes 1 or 3 seconds, but if the mail-server has 2 arriving mails per second, you might notice the problem...

2) Software updates will probably not solve the problem, as the scanner still needs to do its work (i.e. scanning / analyzing), which takes some cpu load by definition...

NB3, you might wanna look at a method called GreyListing. Go4google ofc.
It drastically reduces the number of mails that the server accepts, hence the actual amount of mails to scan will decrease.

It uses the fact that usually spammers send a spam-mail and forget about it, while real mail-servers will retry to deliver a message properly.

So the mailserver checks, if it has seen the combination of sender's address, sender's IP and recipients address before. If not, the mail will get rejected, with a reply like "try again in 5minutes". "Good" mail servers will, while spammers won't (not atm at least). If the mail comes in again (the server HAS seen the sender's details before now), it gets passed through, and the sender-data will be added to the database (i.e. whitelist) for 30 days or so.

As long as spammers don't adapt to this blocking-method, it's great. There's only one problem:
Big mail-provider might use multiple mail-servers. If one sends the mail, and another one later retries, the sender's-details-information-triple won't match - the mail gets rejected again. This can cause severe delay or even a bounce.
So you'd have to whitelist big mail-providers manually. Or as they usually tend to be in the same subnet, accept xxx.xxx.xxx.* or something.

My uni uses it, and I think they know their business...
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 22:28   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

hmm, excellent, thanks, i'll do a google at work tomorrow.

i was thinking abotu doing some things to stop them ever reaching the mail server, like removing dud addresses from the domains etc , but thats a huge job