User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Aug 2004, 01:18   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Win XP SP2

is it worth me downloading Service Pack 2 for XP, if i remember rightly, didn't some of you guys say that it made things worse?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2004, 01:23   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Win XP SP2

since i downloaded it explorer (my computer type thingy) has been a little bitchy, other than that it seems to have been ok for me. worth it for the security upgrades imo, although getting a decent firewall rather than the built in thingy is still worthwhile

-mist
Unread 20 Aug 2004, 01:25   #3
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Win XP SP2

Wrong forum...

Well, it does enhance security, but at the cost of some "legitimate programs" running oddly.
Rule of thumb: The more a program interacts with your system (like a virus would do), the higher is the chance it won't run like expected.

There is a "blacklist" from Microsoft somewhere, with programs that might not work properly. It doesn't say WHAT is wrong, if it's just appearance or whatever, but there are LOTS of programs on it. An Adobe app, MS Office even, ICQ, my firewall, and StarCraft. Enough reasons to be careful ^^.

So, the "network installation version" is out, 265mb download, which is clearly designated for admins. The "free for all" windows update version isn't out yet.
I decided to wait 3 weeks or so after the final public open version for the masses has come out. If there are no know problems then, fine.
Sure, sooner or later all of us will have to give it a shot.

But I don't wanne be MS's beta-tester (well, I want, but getting paid and with innovative products )
Unread 20 Aug 2004, 08:03   #4
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I fresh installed XP with SP2 right off and it zips along great. No problems.
Unread 20 Aug 2004, 08:58   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

been using the beta for a a while, my only problem was that it stopped eve-online from working - but running that in windows 2000 compatibility mode solved that.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2004, 09:12   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
I fresh installed XP with SP2 right off and it zips along great. No problems.
I find this to be the best way to have service packs run properly, I've seen so many machines go funny after installing a service pack on a machine that has been in use for a couple of months.

Probably the best way is the DL the full network install and slipstream it.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2004, 09:20   #7
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

So what's XP SP2 and how do I got about winning it?

Am I doing this rite?
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote