User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Aug 2004, 10:44   #1
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
So I bought this new dual layer dvd burner

I think it rocks, beccause it can burn a flipping 8 GIGS to a little silver disky.

Roxor.

Now I want to make DVD movies from my AVIs, anyone here who can tell me how to do that?
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 12:07   #2
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Re: So I bought this new dual layer dvd burner

im considering buying one - but my single is serving me well atm.

i find that dual layer dvd r/tw are too expensive at the moment - prob best to wait till there is a downward spiraling price dorp
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 13:35   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
my single layered writer can burn dual layered with a firmware upgrade which i will do when dual layered media become more available \o/
Which brand & model is that one?

In my experience of converting AVI's over avoid some of these all-in-one jobs as they do a poor job in both quality and in blowing movies out to a stupid size.

The first step is in getting the clip converted into a suitable MPEG-2 format for DVD. The easiest and quickest program I've found so far has been TMPGEnc. However it does not support MP3 audio which seems to be the most common encoding method so you'll result in a movie with no sound.

To get the audio I just run the movie through Winamp with the disk writer plugin to produce a suitable WAV file.

The next step depends on how fancy you want to get, if you just want a straight DVD movie that plays when you insert the disc you can add the two files to Nero or simular program that supports burning DVD's and call it done.

However if you want to make custom menus DVD-Lab hands down is the win cause it's easy yet very flexible. Then you can either use the same program to burn directly to DVD or export it to Nero like I do.

There are also plenty of articles on the subject over at http://www.videohelp.com/
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:05   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

id also recommend tmpgenc. for the audio you can use besweet.
btw, you can also use mpeg1 for dvds, which would safe you some space. i got about 10 hours or something on a normal single layer dvd (and its perfectly valid and will play in any dvd-player)

i gave up that hole stuff though, just rent the dvd, decrypt it and burn it. it costs a little, but safes you a few hours of time.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:31   #5
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

tmpgenc seems to be doing audio for me, although it only understands about half my avi files - which i know work 'cus they play on vlc. evil thing :/

-mist
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:57   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
tmpgenc seems to be doing audio for me, although it only understands about half my avi files - which i know work 'cus they play on vlc. evil thing :/

-mist
It handles audio just fine, except for MP3 because it does not support the codec for some reason. I've never had a problem with the video side of things, just make sure you have all the appropriate video codecs installed. The most common problem is when a simular but different encoding standard is used between encoder/decoder, like using the DivX codec to play a XVid file which in most cases will work but may cause problems, also using old version of a codec can cause problems.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:06   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

so, if i install the latest divx it'll probably sort things out?

i've never quite figured the whole codec thing out, as media player and divx player complain about lacking codecs for a load of stuff, but vlc plays everything i've got quite happily. would be nice to find out how to tell everything else to use wherever vl gets its codecs from

-mist
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 20:54   #8
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

pffft give me a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive anyday
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 23:51   #9
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: So I bought this new dual layer dvd burner

What do you pay for an empty double layer dvd?
Unread 19 Aug 2004, 11:20   #10
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Great, guys, thanks for the info.

Here in spain I'm afraid a virgin DL DVD (yeah well they call them 'virgines' here, maiden discs) costs a whopping 18 euro's a piece. I however think that it's worth it buying one or two to test how far I can go... A mp3 disc that runs for the better part of two weeks without playing the same track twice, a dvd disk that runs 10-15 hours of video, etc.
Unread 19 Aug 2004, 11:32   #11
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
Great, guys, thanks for the info.

Here in spain I'm afraid a virgin DL DVD (yeah well they call them 'virgines' here, maiden discs) costs a whopping 18 euro's a piece. I however think that it's worth it buying one or two to test how far I can go... A mp3 disc that runs for the better part of two weeks without playing the same track twice, a dvd disk that runs 10-15 hours of video, etc.

are they cheaper here?
want me to post some to you?

m
xx
Unread 19 Aug 2004, 11:45   #12
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

18€? for single layer dvds i pay about 30-40 cent, thats 60-80 cent for the same amount of data
(i order here btw., the site looks like crap but they are cheap )
Unread 19 Aug 2004, 11:50   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

how the hell are you paying that little for dvd's?
Unread 19 Aug 2004, 12:04   #14
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Single layer -r 4x cost me the same here, more or less 45 cents.

It's the dual layer +r 8x that are the $$.

Thanks for offering to ship me some but I think in the end they would be more expensive.