User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jul 2003, 17:34   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
UK in the euro

title about explains it really, what do you lot of lerned (lol) folk think about it, should we or shouldn't we join the euro.
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 17:38   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: UK in the euro

Quote:
Originally posted by vampire_lestat
title about explains it really, what do you lot of lerned (lol) folk think about it, should we or shouldn't we join the euro.
You should, so we can point and laugh
W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 17:58   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I don't think it is a good idea

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 20:13   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i dont think i should express my opinion on this once again.
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 20:16   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
If/when the UK joins the Euro, all the evhul Europeans will invade our country, sink our ships, rape our women and burn our babies.
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 20:26   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I think we should welcome this unique opportunity to form closer bonds of friendship with our munificent european brethren.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 20:38   #7
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
yeah sure sounds :cool:
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 21:12   #8
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
join.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 21:13   #9
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
I think we should welcome this unique opportunity to form closer bonds of friendship with our munificent european brethren.
surely a weekend in amsterdam would suffice, not to mention be a whole lot more interesting
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 21:15   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I really don't care. If there were a referendum, I'd vote against just as an anti-centralist vote, but it matters not.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 21:46   #11
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
surely a weekend in amsterdam would suffice, not to mention be a whole lot more interesting
Alternatively, you could round up some ships with excessive horsepowers to come and take it away.

I suspect few would care.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 22:24   #12
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
join the euro? over my dead body! not in a million years! never ever ever. in a nutshell: no

KEEP THE POUND DOWN WITH THE EURO

you ask anyone in the euro, they'll tell you they hate it, i guarantee
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 22:30   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
does it matter? we are going to end up joining the euro eventually anyway, so our views make not a jot of difference
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 03:11   #14
Red
Reborn

Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Demon Dave
You lose.

Ignorance is a bliss unless you die of it
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 07:59   #15
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Where did you get that from?

It wouldn't be bad if this was a Britian only forum. But you are retarded.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 08:04   #16
Insane Badger

I think my views on this issue are fairly well known
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 10:38   #17
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC

It might not be true that everyone hates the Euro but the Irish definately are not happy, everything is more expensive for them since the introduction of the Euro. Sounds similar to when the UK went decimal, I think that is what will happen.

Plus - in the UK our economy is so different that we would suddenly become the most expensive place to live in the Eurozone (Which is probably the case already) - our housing market is also very different and I guess this is what will be most hit - along with probably an increase in base rate inflation.

Basically we'll be worse off when it happens, as always.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 10:43   #18
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC

The BBC went around France and Germany and asked a load of people what they thought of the Euro. Everyone they asked hated it and wanted their Francs/Marks back

and i'm not retarded, i'm just special. and i am from England, hence "KEEP THE POUND" f00l
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 10:51   #19
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
The BBC went around France and Germany and asked a load of people what they thought of the Euro. Everyone they asked hated it and wanted their Francs/Marks back

and i'm not retarded, i'm just special. and i am from England, hence "KEEP THE POUND" f00l
you are just wrong, on both things you said .
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:23   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: UK in the euro

Quote:
lerned
learnéd
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:28   #21
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
and i am from England, hence "KEEP THE POUND" f00l
Quote where I questioned where you were from please.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:28   #22
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
I like the Euro. the Eurozone is also dirt cheap compared to the uk aha!

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:29   #23
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
I don't like the Euro.

The notes look ridiculous and the coins are boring.

Oh, and it's bad for the economy or something.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:30   #24
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

At least we'd have some nice clean coins that didnt stink too bad for a couple of years.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:31   #25
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
I don't like the Euro.

The notes look ridiculous and the coins are boring.

Oh, and it's bad for the economy or something.
The standard British Viewpoint. also there is the thing about Europeans eating babies.

Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:33   #26
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
The standard British Viewpoint.

Quote:
also there is the thing about Europeans eating babies.
That too.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:36   #27
Radical Edward

alot of the arguments I hear against the euro are really retarded though, like "if we were in the euro, what would we be able to compare our prices to?"* I mean fs, it's not as if anyone ever went into a supermarket to buy a pint of milk and then commented on the price of the Deutschmark.

*this was a genuine comment that made me shout at the TV

Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:40   #28
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
alot of the arguments I hear against the euro are really retarded though, like "if we were in the euro, what would we be able to compare our prices to?"* I mean fs, it's not as if anyone ever went into a supermarket to buy a pint of milk and then commented on the price of the Deutschmark.

My particular favourite is the "it would make it easier to go on holiday" argument.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 11:47   #29
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
It might not be true that everyone hates the Euro but the Irish definately are not happy, everything is more expensive for them since the introduction of the Euro. Sounds similar to when the UK went decimal, I think that is what will happen.

Plus - in the UK our economy is so different that we would suddenly become the most expensive place to live in the Eurozone (Which is probably the case already) - our housing market is also very different and I guess this is what will be most hit - along with probably an increase in base rate inflation.

Basically we'll be worse off when it happens, as always.
I think that is the reason why we haven't joined yet.
It is inevitable but I think the government have done it entirely right so far, see how it goes and join when the time is right for us.
If you look at the 5 tests Gordon Brown set out, they cover every aspect of the economy. We won't join until those tests are met.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 12:19   #30
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

As if he actually ran the tests
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 12:22   #31
Proteus
Lord Denning

Gordon Brown seems to be anti-Euro, and so it seems highly unlikely that we will join in the near future.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 12:24   #32
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i dont know enough to comment on it, but my austrian aunt and cousins say everything is more expensive there now, and people still "think" in schillings.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 12:43   #33
wu_trax

i dont know about ireland or austria, but here a lot of things are cheaper now in the whole retail-sector. we are even close to deflation.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 14:51   #34
Insane Badger

Quote:

Be fair, it's not as if only the anti-euro's have their retards.

Lest we forget the 'they have better weather than us' brigade.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:05   #35
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Gordon Brown seems to be anti-Euro, and so it seems highly unlikely that we will join in the near future.
I suspect he doesn't give two hoots about anything other than the economic case for it. Which is the only case there is, really.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:07   #36
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Its a terrible idea imo.

Both Germany and Italy adopted it, and now the majority of each population wants their original currency back.

Then theres the issue of each countries econamy. There are many differences between the British econamy, and say the German one. A single interest rate cannot benefit both countries, and as such a single currency cannot. Because of this, a commen currency and interest rate for all of Europe is a quite unfeasable idea, unless the economies of each countries are forced to become similar, which according to a recent study, would decimate the British econamy.

If its bad with highly developed countries in western Europe, just imagine the situation if former eastern bloc countries were to join the Euro. As their econamies cant even be compared to their western counterparts, whatever the interest rate was, either the eastern or western Europeon countries would suffer.

Just my £0.02.

(Note I may be totaly incorrect, but this is what I have been able to glean from the news/papers)

[Edit]
Just take the 5 economic tests for example, almost all of them failed to meet the standards required for Euro conformation.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:08   #37
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
i dont know about ireland or austria, but here a lot of things are cheaper now in the whole retail-sector. we are even close to deflation.

Our prices are sky-rocketing, inflation has taken off, wage increases are down, rate of GDP growth has fallen and unemployment has significantly risen since we joined the euro.

Of course none of that is related to it in any way whatsoever but as long as you're able to produce big lists of things that sound good for your argument you're always alright.

PS Most people in Europe actually prefer the euro to their old currencies according to every single survey i've seen. However I couldn't care less if they all said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread to be honest.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:16   #38
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
basically what you said is right, the jist of it is that, instead of london being the economic capital of europe some crappy german city will be, and the huns will control the intrest rates etc rather than the bank etc.
it all ammounts to a loss of control, meaning that what is best for most europians will be done rather than what is best for the UK, and, most importantly, me.
the worst thing is i wont be able to vote on it, the bastards.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:21   #39
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
basically what you said is right, the jist of it is that, instead of london being the economic capital of europe some crappy german city will be, and the huns will control the intrest rates etc rather than the bank etc.
it all ammounts to a loss of control, meaning that what is best for most europians will be done rather than what is best for the UK, and, most importantly, me.

It's incredible how people can come up with an argument like this and still support a national government.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:21   #40
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
london being the economic capital of europe some crappy german city will be,
London was once a big contender to be home of The ECB, believe it or not.

Jonny M sank that, though, when he signified he was unwilling to bother with The Euro via his 'opt outs' and the idea was a lost cause when Blair came up.

So the world progresses.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:22   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
It's incredible how people can come up with an argument like this and still support a national government.
Hey, people are stupid.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:22   #42
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Sure you will.

If Tony attempts to make us join the Euro (or make us sign the new EU Constitution for that matter) without a referendum he will be publicly lynched.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:23   #43
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
This is why Northumbria will declare independance in 4 hours and I will be proclaimed it's leader.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:23   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
This is why Northumbria will declare indepedance in 4 hours and I will be proclaimed it's leader.
Soon I shall be in Country Durham.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:24   #45
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
(or make us sign the new EU Constitution for that matter)
The Euro definetley, The Consitution, probably not. It'll just be a Maastricht job. Tony has learnt from The Euro business and other adventures that promising to involve the peons in the great matters of state is a bad idea.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:26   #46
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
This is why Northumbria will declare indepedance in 4 hours and I will be proclaimed it's leader.
I would do this in Surrey but it's not really worth it.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:26   #47
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Soon I shall be in Country Durham.
And? Do you want us to lay on a few blueberry pies and glasses of soda?
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:28   #48
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Quote:
is it undemocratic (is that even a word?) to want my country to have power over itself, rather than another group of individuals who were not voted on, sounds even more Fachist than what i was saying really.

and MM, really? thats quite a bizarre turn of events, i never know that (all my knowlage of the subject has been learned over the past two years of doing economics).
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:30   #49
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The Euro definetley, The Consitution, probably not. It'll just be a Maastricht job. Tony has learnt from The Euro business and other adventures that promising to involve the peons in the great matters of state is a bad idea.
I can see the Tories next election 'promise' being to withdraw us from this constitution at all cost.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 15:32   #50
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
is it undemocratic (is that even a word?) to want my country to have power over itself, rather than another group of individuals who were not voted on, sounds even more Fachist than what i was saying really.
In 1997, after huge inflation under John Major, control of interest rates was given to the Bank of England. The only difference between a national currency controlled by an unelected organisation and an international currency controlled by an unelected organisation is things like risk. Economic factors, like MM said.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote