User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 May 2003, 16:58   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Fire union sets strike deadline

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3029547.stm

Is it just me or does everybody think these guys are bunch of losers?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 16:59   #2
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Re: Fire union sets strike deadline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3029547.stm

SET FIRE TO THEIR HOMES
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:00   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
That wouldn't work, they're trained to put them out.

Unless they're striking of course....
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:01   #4
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Unless they're striking of course....
That´s what I meant my man.
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:02   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

I think whatever public receptiveness there was to them originally will have just about dried up by now.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:04   #6
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Fire union sets strike deadline

Quote:

they're more important to society than you are, or ever will be.
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:05   #7
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Re: Re: Fire union sets strike deadline

Quote:
Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
they're more important to society than you are, or ever will be.
What an utterly stupid thing to say.
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:06   #8
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Fire union sets strike deadline

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
What an utterly stupid thing to say.
indeed, but then so was the original comment.
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:19   #9
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
aren't the fire folk already on strike in the UK?
Unread 15 May 2003, 17:24   #10
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

They've been striking on and off for months now.

The government has actually offered them a pretty good deal already but since they are losers they haven't accepted it so will continue to strike until the government changes the law to make them agree to a worse deal than what they have actually already been offered.

losers
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:03   #11
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
The government should fire (ho ho ho) them all, change the law to make firemen striking illegal, and hire new ones.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:08   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The emergency services should never be allowed to go on strike.

I await flaming for my inconsistent policies.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:13   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
The government should fire (ho ho ho) them all, change the law to make firemen striking illegal, and hire new ones.
Why would you need to make striking illegal if they're all sacked?

Obviously I support the firemen in their efforts, as an aside.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:15   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I think the army should be trained to be the firefighting force, like in France.

The whole FBU argument fell flat on its greedy face when the stats from france came out.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:17   #15
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Why would you need to make striking illegal if they're all sacked?

Obviously I support the firemen in their efforts, as an aside.
Because they put people's lives at risk, that's why.

We hired them and paid them to put out fires, which can kill us, and they refused.

As an aside, I don't like strikes. Or unions. Or Andy Gilchrist.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:18   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
The whole FBU argument fell flat on its greedy face when the stats from france came out.
I don't see how that works, tbh. So, the firefighters in France get paid less...so what? Are we holding France to be some kind of ultimate example of what's right in the world, and if so, why?
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:20   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Because they put people's lives at risk, that's why.
I'm still not getting this. You're saying we should sack all the firefighters. Fair enough. But why would you need to ban striking after they've all been sacked. What are they going to do, strike after they've been sacked?

Plus, I'd put it as a human right to withdraw your labour on a temporary basis if you feel the desire. There is an argument that their employers should be able to terminate their contract immediately if they strike, which I would listen to if other state restrictions on picketing (etc.) were withdrawn.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:22   #18
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
I'm still not getting this. You're saying we should sack all the firefighters. Fair enough. But why would you need to ban striking after they've all been sacked. What are they going to do, strike after they've been sacked?
So the new ones can't strike.

I thought that was obvious. Sorry.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:25   #19
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Andy Gilchrist was interviewed on 5 Live last Sunday and he was complaining that the Labour party 'owed them' (his words) for all the support from the unions and now they 'expect something back' (his words again). No political party ever owes anyone anything for their support, that's basic to the democratic ideal and he just doesn't seem to get it.

I thought he was a tosser anyway but this just confirmed it.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:30   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
No political party ever owes anyone anything for their support, that's basic to the democratic ideal and he just doesn't seem to get it.
One of the key points about democracy is that people can put pressure on their representatives either at the ballot box or through supporting a political party.

"Owing" is a stupid term yes, and Mr Gilchrist was wrong to use it, but the general principal holds. If a constituency supports (either by voting or whatever) a political party and this political party then goes against the original spirit which they were embued with, then it's hardly surprising said constitutency is annoyed.

Having said that, anyone who supported the Labour Party for the last eighty years or so deserves everything they get.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:35   #21
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
One of the key points about democracy is that people can put pressure on their representatives either at the ballot box or through supporting a political party.

"Owing" is a stupid term yes, and Mr Gilchrist was wrong to use it, but the general principal holds. If a constituency supports (either by voting or whatever) a political party and this political party then goes against the original spirit which they were embued with, then it's hardly surprising said constitutency is annoyed.

Having said that, anyone who supported the Labour Party for the last eighty years or so deserves everything they get.
Surely government should be "for the people", rather than "for the people who elected us"?

The idea that the government could be acting in a particular way because one of their donors (which is essentially what the TUC is) wants them to act that way is disgusting.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:38   #22
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

We don't 'owe' the FBU anything. If they want to to support the party, fine, but if they think that we're going to hand them a big bag with 'SWAG' on it to them, then they're mistaken.

I hate this notion that we should pander to every piddly little sectional intrest going. When you start to do that, you start to lose elections.

Does the party 'owe' me anything personally because I support it, and also pay the membership fee?

No. I wouldn't expect that anything, anyway. I support the party because I believe in it to deliver for everybody, not just for people that think they can donate their way to a chushy deal.

If The FBU can't see over their own conks and aren't willing to support a group effort then they can bugger off to Socialist Labour or some other monkey of a party for all I care.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:45   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Most Communists in the west have merely spent the last eighty years arguing.

At least The Labour Movement got off it's arse and did something.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:51   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Surely government should be "for the people", rather than "for the people who elected us"?
Why? There are inevitably going to be disagreements over distribution of resources (and other matters) - why wouldn't supporters support the party that best suits their interests?

If for example, you voted for a party thinking you would get low taxes, and they increased them (without extentuating circumstances), wouldn't you be annoyed to an extent?
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:52   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
At least The Labour Movement got off it's arse and did something.
The Labour Party != Labour Movement.

Which is kinda the point here.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:54   #26
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:

If The FBU can't see over their own conks and aren't willing to support a group effort then they can bugger off to Socialist Labour or some other monkey of a party for all I care.
I looked up conk in a dictionary and it said nose, but what's this group effort you speak of? The union wants a fair deal. What they are "owed" is to be treated fairly and not screwed around by politicians. They are not asking for "swag", they have been let down by a political party that's given up its tradition and integrity etc.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:55   #27
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Why? There are inevitably going to be disagreements over distribution of resources (and other matters) - why wouldn't supporters support the party that best suits their interests?
There's a difference between a party that suits your intrests, and then also expecting said party to hand over large quantities of cash to you when it gets in power, simply because you gave it some funds.

Considering some of these unions try to paint themselves as the ultimate uphoalders of Socialism, they have a bizzare and mean little attitude.
Unread 15 May 2003, 19:58   #28
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
There is a difference between supporting a party that you think will do the best things for you and expecting that party to take your views into account more than anyone else's just because you supported them.

Quote:
If for example, you voted for a party thinking you would get low taxes, and they increased them (without extentuating circumstances), wouldn't you be annoyed to an extent?
Annoyed, maybe, but to think that the party "owes you" anything, or should have acted for your benefit rather than the country's benefit is stupid.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:00   #29
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
The union wants a fair deal.
Fair on their terms, apparently.

Quote:
What they are "owed" is to be treated fairly and not screwed around by politicians.
Why are they owed any more, than say, what, say Bernie Eccelston was 'owed' when he gave the party a million?

You can't have it both ways.

I doubt half of these people have even done any bloody campaigning for the party, let alone anything else, either. Often the affiliation to the party is in name only.

Quote:
They are not asking for "swag", they have been let down by a political party that's given up its tradition and integrity etc.
Or, alternatively, it's gone for a more universal approach, instead of pandering to a ever decreasing and unrepresentative constituency.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:01   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Annoyed, maybe, but to think that the party "owes you" anything, or should have acted for your benefit rather than the country's benefit is stupid.
Well, I think perhaps the difference here is that the fireman don't actually think they are making outrageous demands, and don't think that by getting their pay rise it will bankrupt the country. You know, they're insane like that...
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:04   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I think this could be said about any request ever. If I ask by boss for something, I'm quite obviously going to think it's fair "on my terms". This is fairly obvious.

MP's are paid a hell of a lot more than a fireman. I'm sure this is fair in their mind, and probably in yours too. But it ain't necessarily so....
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:06   #32
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Surely they know what they are going to get paid before they start the job.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:06   #33
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Well, I think perhaps the difference here is that the fireman don't actually think they are making outrageous demands, and don't think that by getting their pay rise it will bankrupt the country. You know, they're insane like that...
Oh, so their demands are acceptable because they think they're acceptable? Of course they do - they involve them getting more money.

The firemen appear to be greedy public workers who demand a massive pay increase (just compare their pay with soldiers, for instance) simply because they can bring the country into chaos when they strike.

Maybe they are just being fooled into thinking they do actually deserve such a massive increase by Andy Gilchrist and his chums, and aren't actually malevolent, but I certainly don't think we should give them it.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:10   #34
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Right, it tends to come down to what level of pay you think is appropriate. I'm not sure whether you are taking the "I believe the FBU's demands are ridiculous" line or the "the FBU shouldn't argue with the wise politicans" line.
Quote:

Why are they owed any more, than say, what, say Bernie Eccelston was 'owed' when he gave the party a million?

You can't have it both ways.

I doubt half of these people have even done any bloody campaigning for the party, let alone anything else, either.
You keep making this sound like backscratching. It isn't.
The FBU represents the interests of firefighters. If New Labour circumvent the union, they are saying that they know better than the union. It's painfully obvious they don't, but if you think the FBU are just trying to get their "swag", then maybe you don't see this.
Quote:

Or, alternatively, it's gone for a more universal approach, instead of pandering to a ever decreasing and unrepresentative constituency.
Both descriptions seem accurate.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:12   #35
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
I think this could be said about any request ever. If I ask by boss for something, I'm quite obviously going to think it's fair "on my terms". This is fairly obvious.
Actually, no. I suppose it depends on definitions, really.

What I was alluding to, was their apparent inflexibility in the whole matter.

There's a difference between "your terms" and "your terms reconciled with reality and a bit of a willingness to be flexible."

Quote:
MP's are paid a hell of a lot more than a fireman. I'm sure this is fair in their mind, and probably in yours too. But it ain't necessarily so....
Actually, the irony is that if their original pay demands had been met, then their incomes would actually have been only £26,000 behind MP's.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:17   #36
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Right, it tends to come down to what level of pay you think is appropriate. I'm not sure whether you are taking the "I believe the FBU's demands are ridiculous" line or the "the FBU shouldn't argue with the wise politicans" line.
Neither, really.

Quote:
You keep making this sound like backscratching. It isn't.

The FBU represents the interests of firefighters. If New Labour circumvent the union, they are saying that they know better than the union.
So what? The Union is an interest group.

Are you suggesting that the government should acceed to the demands of every intrest group going, whenever they want something?

Quote:
It's painfully obvious they don't, but if you think the FBU are just trying to get their "swag", then maybe you don't see this.
If their basis is that Labour 'owes' them something, then yes, they are.

If their basis is that they feel that they are being genuinely underpaid, then that's perfectly legitimate.

Although Mr Gilchrist apparently agrees with the former over the latter, if we are to go by his earlier statements.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:18   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Actually, the irony is that if their original pay demands had been met, then their incomes would actually have been only £26,000 behind MP's.
Only £26,000 huh?

(btw : I'm not sure why this is ironic)

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "reconciled with reality". The government quite clearly could pay the firefighters original demand. They chose not to. The Firefighters wish to withdraw their labour because of this.

OMG, they're evil bastards...
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:19   #38
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
They could pay for a car for me too. Doesn't mean I deserve it.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:21   #39
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
They could pay for a car for me too. Doesn't mean I deserve it.
What does deserving mean?
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:22   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I told you those union things would only bring trouble, but did you listen? Nooooooo, you were all caught up in the big equality of opportunity thing. Be a patriot, oppose choice!
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:23   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
What does deserving mean?

Justice.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:23   #42
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
(btw : I'm not sure why this is ironic)
You think you're underpaid, so you attempt to push you're salaries through the roof?

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "reconciled with reality". The government quite clearly could pay the firefighters original demand. They chose not to.
Reconciled with the reality that such an extortionate demand would not be agreed to by any government with sense, perhaps?

Sure, it could have paid them the money. But we're not living in a Socialist Workers state, however much The FBU would like one. This is my point.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:24   #43
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Justice.
OK, in this context, with regards to pay, what does justice mean?
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:26   #44
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
OK, in this context, with regards to pay, what does justice mean?
They are paid according to the value of their work to others.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:28   #45
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
You think you're underpaid, so you attempt to push you're salaries through the roof?
Erm...what?

How is £26,000 less than an MP through the roof? Also, how the hell is asking for more money when you think you're underpaid ironic? Blood obvious behaviour I'd have thought...

Yes, we're not living in a Socialist Workers state. But what's that got to do with it? Various other people are paid that amount (there are numerous non-qualified, non-technical people in my office who earn approximately £40,000). If your point that manual labourers (whatever that means) could only earn that much in a Socialist state, then sure let's bring on socialism.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:29   #46
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
In state monopolies, how is this directly assessed?
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:29   #47
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Who decides?
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:31   #48
queball
Ball

Quote:
So what? The Union is an interest group.

Are you suggesting that the government should acceed to the demands of every intrest group going, whenever they want something?
That's rather general. If the interest group are experts on the service needed, and the government are experts on the budget, then they should negotiate accordingly. If the government can't meet the union's demands they should clearly state that. They should not tell the firefighters "hey guys, this is how much you're worth ". The problem is when the government go to war against their own people just because they want to look good or cut tax.

Quote:

If their basis is that Labour 'owes' them something, then yes, they are.

If their basis is that they feel that they are being genuinely underpaid, then that's perfectly legitimate.

Although Mr Gilchrist apparently agrees with the former over the latter, if we are to go by his earlier statements.
Did you watch the show Gayle mentioned? I didn't, but Gayle quotes seem rather selective, and hardly a basis for a discussion. I'd like to know exactly what he meant.
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:32   #49
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
How is £26,000 less than an MP through the roof?
What, a thrirty percent increase in one go isn't just a slight attempt to throw caution to the wind?

Quote:
Also, how the hell is asking for more money when you think you're underpaid ironic? Blood obvious behaviour I'd have thought...
It's the amount that's important.

Quote:
Yes, we're not living in a Socialist Workers state. But what's that got to do with it?
That you're not going to likely recieve extortinate pay rises from government?
Unread 15 May 2003, 20:32   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
In state monopolies, how is this directly assessed?

By the government and by the people if necessary. Of course I'm relying on people making relatively intelligent judgements rather than mindlessly pursuing short-term gain. If they don't want to work they don't have to though. If the government doesn't want to pay them they don't have to work. In the end the individual decides.