User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Mar 2003, 23:58   #1
SPQR

SPQR is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you ever...

changed your opinion on an important political question because of a debate on an Internet Discussion board like this?
And could you imagine that you could vote for some1 else in an election, because you got convinced in an Internet Forum?

Would be interesting to know if all the long discussions actually have some impact on people's mind or if everyone just insists on his own opinion no matter what arguments the opposite site has.
SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:02   #2
Reck
b0rked!

Reck is an unknown quantity at this point
(I almost never post here, but anyway)

yus, Vermillion made me realize the atomic bomb on Hiroshima was justified
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:03   #3
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Have you ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by SPQR
Would be interesting to know if all the long discussions actually have some impact on people's mind or if everyone just insists on his own opinion no matter what arguments the opposite site has.
Generally speaking, I'm either impressed by someone or think they are a complete boner. Either way, it's an impact.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:07   #4
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
my views have been changed on several issues by a variety of posters.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:25   #5
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
mine have never changed and i know of noone i ever conviced of anything, did that answer your question?
discussions on forums are pretty much pointless.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:27   #6
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
on a side note, why do i recognise 'SPQR'?

is it a reference to something i've forgotten?

(vaguely reminds me of legions old banners for some reason...?)
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:32   #7
SPQR

SPQR is an unknown quantity at this point
It was written on the roman war banners. Has nothing to do with the alliance Legion actually, except them having it from the same source.
SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:33   #8
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
It was written on the roman war banners. Has nothing to do with the alliance Legion actually, except them having it from the same source.
knew i remembered it being on some of their alliance banners
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:36   #9
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Have you, ever tasted skin?
Sink your teeth into it,
Have you, EVEEEEEEER?
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:42   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Yes.

You should see my FINGERS
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:46   #11
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
Have you, ever tasted skin?
Sink your teeth into it,
Have you, EVEEEEEEER?
SHUT UP YOU THIRDWORLDER
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:47   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
SHUT UP YOU THIRDWORLDER
I take it 'Todd' from your sig isn't 'Todd from Neighbours who died after being hit by a car and having his spleen ruptured' then?
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:49   #13
Christian
Attitude

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
I take it 'Todd' from your sig isn't 'Todd from Neighbours who died after being hit by a car and having his spleen ruptured' then?
No.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:50   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Shame. I rather enjoyed his being impaled on a truck to be honest. And more so his 'death' sequence. And furthermore his 'memories' sequence shortly after his death.

It was like Madge dying. But with less breasts.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:56   #15
Christian
Attitude

That would have been ace, No, seriously, what are you on about ?
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 00:57   #16
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

You're being too Harold now.

Pick one or the other, you can't be both.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 01:00   #17
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Shame. I rather enjoyed his being impaled on a truck to be honest. And more so his 'death' sequence. And furthermore his 'memories' sequence shortly after his death.

It was like Madge dying. But with less breasts.

I must have missed that :(

However as I recall, the Todd/Cody/Josh/Melissa 'love square' was quite an interesting storyline for a while.

The fact that I remember this makes me want to weep :/
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 01:00   #18
Christian
Attitude

I'll choose 'British kings 500' please.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 13:58   #19
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Have you ever...

Quote:
changed your opinion on an important political question because of a debate on an Internet Discussion board like this?
And could you imagine that you could vote for some1 else in an election, because you got convinced in an Internet Forum?

Other people's input have rarely convinced me their view is the right one, but has often got me thinking and researching enough to change my own.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 14:15   #20
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why look down on the internet as "inferior" ?

If anything, internet discussions are superior to those in real life. You get a chance to mull over whatever anyone else says as its stored on screen. You can view peoples sources. And its easy to tell who doesnt know what they are talking about.

And besides, who says it has to "change" my opinion on anything? Sometimes it does, but i dont neccesarily HAVE an opinion yet on certain topics, and the internet can help me form one.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 14:34   #21
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
A lot of my opinions have changed because of the debates on here. I used to be quite left wing, but I'm now centre-ish libertarian.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 20:00   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
A lot of my opinions have changed because of the debates on here. I used to be quite left wing, but I'm now centre-ish libertarian.
Implying that being left-wing is somehow the opposite of being libertarian show's you've obviously listened too much to Nod*.

* Or Tacticus. Or Warfalcon. Or Gayle. Or W. Or anyone one of the other of "those types" who frequent these parts.

As to the original question : Possibly in general, and certainly on minor issues. I used to subscribe to a fairly academic Marxist mailing list which was quite informative and indeed assisted some of my views (often in the opposite direction with some of the posters though).

However, I've had broadly the same views since I was about 15, although I've gradually become more libertarian as time has gone on, and realised what awful statist-bourgeois nonsense school attempts to fill our minds with.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 20:07   #23
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
I'm now more left-wing than I once was, all thanks to you wonderful people.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 20:08   #24
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Also:

SPQR = SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUS = Senate and People of Rome
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 20:25   #25
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Actually, sometimes, this forum has changed my views on things. Not my overall moral, but single things.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 14:07   #26
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Implying that being left-wing is somehow the opposite of being libertarian show's you've obviously listened too much to Nod*.

* Or Tacticus. Or Warfalcon. Or Gayle. Or W. Or anyone one of the other of "those types" who frequent these parts.
I was implying that when I was left, I wasn't authoritarian or libertarian.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 14:10   #27
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
yes, on many things.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 14:13   #28
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future
probably, although my memory is fading considering that i've hardly been online the past year.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 14:13   #29
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Implying that being left-wing is somehow the opposite of being libertarian show's you've obviously listened too much to Nod
Economically it is. I doubt youve ever heard me say anything involving 'left wing' though, because its not a term I generally use outside of my own head.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 14:23   #30
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

I object to you mentioning me. I've always been of the position that left-right is a silly division, and that there are several different issues, economic, form of government, general freedom etc. that are ambiguously refered to by "left" and "right". I'm usually also quick to point people at http://politicalcompass.org/