User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 21 Sep 2017, 10:35   #1
Alezzar
Bibliophile

Alezzar is infamous around these parts
Post The Ash'taari

“An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.”
― Oscar Wilde

The Beginning

Two years ago I woke up and I knew I had enough. I gazed through the small window of our Scarab ship as we slowly moved towards another battle. At that point, I was already a fleet commander with some experience. I wasn't one of the loved ones for my ideas for our future were different. I was tired of fighting battles we couldn't win. I was tired of glancing at the fleets of our enemies, immobile thanks to our EMP devices, yet unable to get the job finished. The Cathaar commanders weren't interested in my ideas, they didn't share my point of view. Our enemies were engaging in battles they could not possibly win just to make fun of our inability to do any harm. We were slowly becoming the laughing stock of the entire universe.

In that precise moment, I knew I had enough. I took a deep breath and walked out of the room, finally embracing the decision I've made long ago yet hesitated to admit. Now I knew. I wouldn't send my crew on another risky mission without the possibility to actually fight back. If our EMP devices missed just a handful of ships...

That was the day I turned my back on Cathaar. That was the day I started following my own path, accompanied only by my trusted crew. That was the day I was not under the command of anyone else but myself. That was the day the Ash'taari were born. And we do fight back.

“No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come.”
― Victor Hugo

Summary: The Ash'taari are a humanoid race that was once part of the Cathaar. The Ash'taari share an entirely different war approach compared to the Cathaar, which eventually lead to the separation. They are not as technologically advanced as the Cathaar and couldn't get their famous EMP devices to work but eventually, they created something new entirety - the reflective ship mechanism.

Race Characteristics:
Max Stealth: 80
Stealth Growth/Tick: 8
Base Construction Units: 100
Base Research Points: 115
Salvage bonus: 15%
Universe Trade Tax: 25%

New ship type - REFLECTIVE

The reflective type of ships work just like any normal killer ship out there, it has its own init, although they don't deal as much damage as for example the Xandrithii or Terran. However, they do have another technology attached to them - the reflective shield.

What is a reflective shield? It's simple! When an enemy ship targets one of the reflective types, some of the damage it deals is reflected back to it. The technology the Ash'taari developed is far from perfect and only allows them to reflect 20% of the incoming damage and even less on the smaller ship classes.

Here's an example and I'll use the current stats for it.

100,000 Phantoms are defending against, let's say, 180,000 Harpies - https://game.planetarion.com/bcalc.p...eyupzcgq0zrhmk

It's a clear outcome, the Phantoms deal as much as 900,000 damage, which is just enough to destroy 180,000 Harpies.

But imagine it's not harpies, but instead it's the same kind of ship with an added reflective shield. Let's call it Cuckoo and give it a 10% RE(reflective efficiency).

Phantoms will still deal 900,000 damage to the Cuckoos, but will immediately suffer 10% of that damage back, same init. So, 90,0000 damage is reflected back and 10,000 of the Phantoms are destroyed.

Key things here are - there's no preventing the reflected damage. The reflected damage is different from the ordinary damage the Ash'taari ships deal and it's returned the same init it is received. Oh, and one more thing - it returns to any class that targets it. If there are several classes attacking the certain reflective ship, the first one to shoot suffers the reflected damage, the following classes don't.

The reflective shield mechanism is race-exclusive for the Ash'taari.

Some extra information for stat makers: The Ash'taari would never attack with the Cathaar. Their attacking fleets shouldn't match. The Ash'taari have decided to use bird names for their new ships as a symbolism and message to the Cathaar. The Ash'taari might have developed the new reflective shield mechanism, but they are new at destroying ships. The ordinary damage their ships deal should be low.

If we take, for example, Locust from the current set of stats and turn it into Ash'taari type of ship - let's call it Owl, the damage it deals should be decreased by something around 40-50% to avoid overpowering the reflective ships. So, the Owl should deal something between 25-30 damage and receive an RE of around 13-16%.

The reflective shield is working much better on bigger ships, as stated above. So, for stats making purposes, I propose we stick to certain RE amounts, to keep it all balanced.

FI class reflective ships - 7-10% RE
CO class reflective ships - 9-12% RE
FR class reflective ships - 11-14% RE
DE class reflective ships - 13-16% RE
CR class reflective ships - 15-18% RE
BS class reflective ships - 17-20% RE

I've created an example of stats if the Ash'taari were set to join the fight next round.

I've been shaping this idea for quite some time. I think the possibility of adding another race and another ship type would make the game more dynamic and provide with even more tactical possibilities. And, yeah, 6 races x 2 type of attack fleets sound much better than always ditching one of the classes or removing a race.

Looking forward to opinions and any feedback.

Thanks for reading
r24-r26 Vengeance
r27-r29 - Ascendancy
r30 - r35 - New Dawn
r36 -r37 - Euphoria
r43 - r46 - New Dawn
r47 - r51 - Ultores
r67 - - New Dawn
Alezzar is offline   Reply With Quote