User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 29 May 2009, 01:59   #1
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all
Running and recalling fleet during pre-launched - during multi-wave incommings.

Has this been suggested before?

Basically when you're being multi-waved attack, there's one/some wave "in-between" that you "don't want" to pre-launch or run - because you want to defend that wave or you're covered with your ships (but other waves you want to run). Currently, for you to do this, you have to be online at that particular tick - to stop pre-launch then pre-launch again after it tick. For casual players that's not good - if they have somewhere else to go (i.e. pub), then there's a wave they can cover but sandwiched to the waves they want to run, they'll end up running or pre-launch it to +11, sacrificing the sandwiched wave they would have preferred not to run.

Since Pax has dramatically decrease the need for being online all the time, this is one of the things left-out.

I suggest in "Fleet" page, when a fleet is pre-launched. The rollover can give particular tick/ETAs you don't want to pre-launch. Currently the rollover shows tranferring of ships from here to here, maybe put my suggested rollover instead when it's pre-launched.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 05:45   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Running and recalling fleet during pre-launched - during multi-wave incommings.

This would be useful for idle n00bs like myself, I would like a feature like this, but I suspect it would be just another excuse to only check in on the game once a day.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 09:45   #3
Buly

Buly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the rough
Re: Running and recalling fleet during pre-launched - during multi-wave incommings.

Should still be about the more active ones doing better. When you're being multiwaved and can't be on to fight it, well shit happenes.

The phone is awesome to do this with, as long as you know which to stay and which to run from.
Unread 29 May 2009, 10:15   #4
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Nah makes it to easy, if you cant get on you lose the middle wave and have to deal with it.

This really is just another thing that screws over anyone whos actually active heh
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 10:53   #5
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Benneh here. I think as long as you're given the option to save your fleet, things are fine. There should be some rewards for activity.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 12:29   #6
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Juggling fleets during incs has become second nature to me (mainly because of all my incs) and I kind of expect to have to be online to move them around. Just don't go the pub when you have lots of incs?

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 17:11   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree with Benneh as well. It should definitely be possible for casual players to survive in this game, but juggling fleets around like this is a sufficiently advanced tactic that it should be reserved for people who are a bit more dedicated.

Also, this usually happens during the morning, a time at which most players can be around. I know, I know, it's very Europe-centered of me to use this argument, but let's not forget where the vast majority of players have always come from. Should this change then I'm totally willing to give it a go.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 20:35   #8
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

I take it its good on other hand if people can go thrue by sending between big fleets. Helps the smallers well enough!

I dont mind if this comes, but doesnt see it as really nessesary either.
Unread 29 May 2009, 21:48   #9
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all

So active / experienced players isn't getting some rewards. heh.

Last i checked, it's still the same players around after 2 years off - 1k playerbase. The game is having a hard time making a new player stay or play the whole round - due to being bashed to the ground for playing casual. We wouldn't expect them to play hardcore when they're just trying the game right?

I'd like to think that this game is tactical rather than activity based. I mean, after seeing your 5 waves. Go and analyze what it is, get scans, get calc, get defense, calc some more, get more defense. By then you should have identified what wave is run, what wave is covered. Then, Ooops it's 8am - have to go to work or school.

It's called "value in spending time" for the game, rather than being glued online, waiting for ticks - that's counter-productive.

*Somewhere else to go isn't necessarilty pub. Maybe school, work, bed.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Unread 29 May 2009, 21:48   #10
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Maybe a limit of between 1 to 3 within the pre-launch window is enough. This way, the casual players wouldn't hurt the experienced/active ones as much, when he got 5 or so waves from them. heh.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine

Last edited by Cocteau; 29 May 2009 at 21:59.
Unread 29 May 2009, 22:08   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Activity is what forges the community though, which has always been PA's strongest point, despite the not entirely friendly attitude that prevails on these boards.

If, as you propose, we move this game in a direction where tactics are emphasised more than activity, then something else needs to take the place of addicting people to the game. Since we disqualified the meta-game (which because of reduced activity has become much less effective at it), the only thing that remains is something ingame.

I am not opposed to what you're saying, but the logicai conclusion of taking the game in that direction is that a lot of time (and thus money) needs to put into the game to make it fun to play of its own behalf. I don't think that kind of investment is available.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2009, 22:21   #12
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

I agree with every single word you said there.

The suggestion is not like the target planet is not gonna loose roids. Heck, the attacker should have taken taken into account the target's own ships, plus it's not a guarantee he wont be roided if he doesn't run on the wave/s he chose not to. I mean, to me it's not really screwing the acitve ones, it just give a "little" more tactical value - not in a greater extent.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Unread 30 May 2009, 06:32   #13
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocteau View Post
So active / experienced players isn't getting some rewards. heh.

Last i checked, it's still the same players around after 2 years off - 1k playerbase. The game is having a hard time making a new player stay or play the whole round - due to being bashed to the ground for playing casual. We wouldn't expect them to play hardcore when they're just trying the game right?

I'd like to think that this game is tactical rather than activity based. I mean, after seeing your 5 waves. Go and analyze what it is, get scans, get calc, get defense, calc some more, get more defense. By then you should have identified what wave is run, what wave is covered. Then, Ooops it's 8am - have to go to work or school.

It's called "value in spending time" for the game, rather than being glued online, waiting for ticks - that's counter-productive.

*Somewhere else to go isn't necessarilty pub. Maybe school, work, bed.
Yeah this is something I can agree with. It will allways be helpfull to be online to catch your inc on peak times and so on...