User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Jun 2005, 15:24   #1
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Chen Yonglin

Quote:
CHINA says it won't punish a former diplomat now in hiding after claiming Beijing has up to 1000 spies keeping tabs on dissident groups in Australia.

Chen Yonglin, 37, is seeking asylum in Australia, saying he fears for his life after walking out of the Chinese consulate-general in Sydney 11 days ago.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15524288-2,00.html

I'm not sure how much coverage this has had overseas, but there's been a shitload of it on the news recently here.

Whether he's telling the truth or not, I've no doubt he wouldn't be popular if he were to return to China. I'd be curious to hear what the take is from someone over there, but as far as I'm aware we don't have any chinese residents on GD?
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 15:35   #2
Nantoz

Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Chen Yonglin

My 12 year old cousin is adopted from China. Do you want me to find out what her take is on it?
Nantoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 20:09   #3
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

with the views expressed on this forum, i would imagine that the censors over there have banned it
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 20:59   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

That would not surprise me either. Actually I welcome any sort of input or oppinion as I'm not really up with the political views and structure of other nations. My knowledge of China only extends as far as what I've read from 20 year old history books detailing things such as the Tiananmen square incident which would place my views as being a little biased.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 22:00   #5
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Old news for some of us.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 22:01   #6
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Chen Yonglin

We should cut off his head and serve it on a silver platter to the Chinese ambassador.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 22:11   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
with the views expressed on this forum, i would imagine that the censors over there have banned it
This site probably would be banned but probably for "adult content" rather than some sort of political motivation (as I understand it).

It would be highly surprising if the Chinese didn't have various people inside dissident groups. Obviously they have to play the game of denying it in either case.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 23:07   #8
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

whlle it's possible that the Chinese version of google returns different results to Chinese residents, when I used it to search for Planetarion forums, I got normal results

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...p/chinese1.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...p/chinese2.gif

(I'm only really posting them for novelty value, and it's pics rather than links as many won't have the font installed)
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 10:49   #9
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
whlle it's possible that the Chinese version of google returns different results to Chinese residents, when I used it to search for Planetarion forums, I got normal results

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...p/chinese1.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...p/chinese2.gif

(I'm only really posting them for novelty value, and it's pics rather than links as many won't have the font installed)

try searching for falung gong or something like that then.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 13:17   #10
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

I seriously wonder what the chinese spies are telling their government. "OMG humphrey the bear isn't a real bear ^^;;;;; kawaii!"
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 13:22   #11
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
try searching for falung gong or something like that then.
obviously the Chinese have restricted internet freedom. My post was intended only to show that PA forums didn't appear to be included in this, as had been suggested.

This bbc item today shows how it sucks to be them
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4088702.stm
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 13:50   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
obviously the Chinese have restricted internet freedom. My post was intended only to show that PA forums didn't appear to be included in this, as had been suggested.
I'm not really sure what version of Google you used, but I'm not really sure that what you showed proves anything. If I do :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=zh-CN&q=falung+gong&lr=

I get various sites which one might think would be blocked.

As I understood it the Chinese government (and others) are effectively blocking sites through the use of what is basically a huge proxy server. So, at my work I can Google for "William Hill" and it will show me various links including, of course, the William Hill site. If I try to visit the site then it tells me that the site has been blocked for inappropriate content ("Category : Gambling"). I thought the Chinese were using a similar model (although tbh I've absolutley no idea what I'm basing this on).

The Chinese government probably also can request Google removes from their indexes various sites, and I know Google has complied with this in the past, but it strikes me as a fairly tedious process to go to.

Having said all that, you're probably right and I retract my previous comments. The PA Forums would not be blocked, not because the Chinese government are libertarians but simply we're too small to bother with. We probably slip under the radar. This is why the internet is pretty effective even in the face of paranoid dictatorships.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 14:05   #13
1-X
overtired

I assumed any blocks would be on the Chinese ISPs, so it wouldn't be possible to judge what is and isn't blocked from here without going through a Chinese proxy. I agree that they probably do have keyword filtering like our web-blocking software. That link about microsoft blogs shows they can't upload text that uses phrases like "human rights" and "taiwan independence" so their government wants to prevent discussion of ideas as much as access to knowledge.

My images weren't meant to be taken seriously : it was more a childish "here's what GD looks like in chinese writing" than anything else.
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 18:33   #14
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X

sorry to stick up for microsoft but i do think that that article shows them in an unneccisarily harsh light... if you read their T&C it does actually say that you must adhere to all 'locally applicably laws' or something to that effect, and it isn't their fault that the chinese govt. are so harsh