User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 9 Feb 2006, 13:01   #1
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light
AI? or a strange problem

I have a really strange problem,

pc here ( win 2k server, nf2 mainboard, 1,8ghz Xp 512 mb ddr ram ... )
everything is fine if the pc is near me actually on my desktop.
there it is running fine.

well i only need it as a server. so no need to access is directly ( it is also makes a lot of noise)
so i carry the server into the server room, a small room where all the cable are, etc.
and now the funneh part beginns.
the pc is booting till the windows is loading screen, then a sudden reboot.
i tried it a few times always the same...

"ok" lets start all over
to my desktop.... etc. etc etc. ( 4 hours of checking reinstalling etc. )
the pc is running ( for now )
carring into to server room start *plonk* reboot
and thats my point
i tried it 3 times now.
removed the wlan ( interference? ),
have choosen another power connector, even pluged in another room
etc. etc. etc.
the funneh thing there are other pc running, just fine...

has anybody a idea? ( i have tried a lot of things )
the pc is running fine at my desktop and always rebooting in the server room.
and no it is not my aura :P
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2006, 13:10   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: AI? or a strange problem

overheating? in the server room the airflow may be somewhat less.
Unread 9 Feb 2006, 13:14   #3
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

there is a cooling system, but i dont think it overheats in about 15 seconds, it happens every boot...
Unread 9 Feb 2006, 22:49   #4
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Dodgy power supply? (as in the supply of power to the computer via a different socket rather than the internal PSU)
Unread 9 Feb 2006, 23:11   #5
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

we have also tried another psu :/
i hate that server.
mhm
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 01:06   #6
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sale
we have also tried another psu :/
i hate that server.
mhm
I think SYMM means a dodgey supply from the plug in the wall where you have it plugged in
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 01:10   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I even anticipated the misunderstanding and clarified
A friend's PC used to sporadically shut down when I was in halls at uni, and the solution seemed to be plugging it in via a surge-protected strip rather than a standard one, guess small power fluctuations must have been doing something...
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 09:47   #8
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

Quote:
have choosen another power connector, even pluged in another room
that was the port near my desktop

i think this is ai, and this pc dont want into this loud, cold and dark room
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 13:37   #9
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

I assume you are not connecting the machine onto any network via cable? Otherwise that behaviour can easily happen.

Its hard to say something without more detailed specification of the phenomena like if the crash happens at the same time during the bootup procedure, whats in the systemlog at that time, how the case of the machine is or what else is in the server room (big magnetic storage machines?), but did you try to shield the machine with some kind of simple cage at both places? Did you try booting a completely different OS from a CD/DVD like KNOPPIX for example or at least tried to boot Windows in safe mode?

What changed about the monitor connection? Did you use the same in the server room? Or none? Cheap/unshielded monitor cables can work like a receiver in some circumstances.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 13:54   #10
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

rmihyn it seems you have solved my problem
when i connect another monitor cable the server boots fine...
hmm the other server have no problem with the old cable, so i never have thought of this.

THX! for all the help