User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Jun 2006, 11:38   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Computer playing up

Rather than use the backup, reinstall method I want to know if there is another way [/natwest].

Whenever I try installing iTunes to the latest version the installer green bar goes to the end which normally signals the installation is about to begin then it just shuts down and the popup "unxpectedly closed" etc. popup appears.

That's not the only thing. More frequently now whenever I go to shutdown the machine, all the processes in my systray close apart from the net connection and all my icons from the desktop disappear as normally is the case before the "Saving settings.. Logging out" etc. screen appears but in this case, it just stays on the desktop with my wallpaper and it never shuts down. Even if I repeatedly do shutdown etc.

Sometimes when I click on an image, explorer crashes. You know you can have a panel that shows a preview of the picture/video file in the left-hand side in explorer - as soon as that is 'about' to appear, explorer just crashes. It happens randomly when selecting an image/video.

Sometimes I have very high CPU usage and my computer becomes sluggish even although I have 1GB of RAM and I'll have 450MB free. I check the task manager and it'll say System 60% etc. I don't get why the 'system' (NOT system idle process) would be like that.

Sometimes the internet comes up with page cannot be displayed. I try Internet Explorer 7 and same sort of message appears. I go through to check my DNS settings on my router, I check the 'connection' status on the router to which it'll say it's connected, I'll try going to the command and doing ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /flushdns - both of those will not work. I go to the LAN icon thingy in the systray and do repair connection. That doesn't solve it. Then magically a few minutes later, everything is working again...?!

Win XP Home Edition w/ SP2. Latest patches applied.

Thanks for any help guys.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2006, 12:10   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Computer playing up

ok, your computer appears to be posessed or something

the itunes installer problem, nfi whats precisely causing it but a google search came up with a similar sounding error for a different program installer - in the faq for it they blamed it on corrupted fonts that were installed by hp printer software. If thats the case for you i have nfi.

the computer not shutting down is probably related to the cpu usage on system, its waiting for something to terminate which never does.

Not entirely sure why the image preview is broken, but it may be some system files are borked.
try a "sfc /scannow" from a run prompt to verify system files are intact.

when the internet drops for you, can you still resolve names to ip addresses? try a tracert on google or something the next time it happens.
Any other computers connected to your router, test it with those as well so you can narrow it down to either a computer problem ( most likely ), or a router problem.

check theres nothing running which shouldnt be, spyware/rootkit/etc which might be messing things up.

personally i would do the reformat/reinstall route, theres a lot of problems which may or may not be related to each other and its likely just easier to wipe and start again
Unread 11 Jun 2006, 13:07   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Cheers Phil!

[1] The iTunes installer problem. Yeah I have a HP Printer installed. You have 'nfi' for me?!

[2] I've tried the sfc /scannow and it comes up with a message saying I need to replace the files into the DLL Cache from the Windows cd etc. - thing is though the only files I've replaced in my system32 and dllcache folder is a logonui.exe (changes my logon screen) and the uxtheme patcher by Neowin. I'll try replacing them and let you know the results.

[3] The internet dropping I've found out just now after a long phonecall is Tiscali's fault. So I'm going to change ISP's the wankers. They've said other people in my area with them have had the same thing and they don't know why so screw that.

Cheers once again
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2006, 15:50   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
[1] The iTunes installer problem. Yeah I have a HP Printer installed. You have 'nfi' for me?!
O_o that seemed rather lucky
i was flailing around and that was the 'best' sounding one i saw on google. now ive gotta go see how to fix it for you ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by site i spotted etc
Q: When I try to install Cinematize or the Cinematize Demo, the Installer seems to always "quit unexpectedly." Why is this?
A: This problem is related to corrupted fonts installed on your system by some HP printer software. This will affect programs such as Mail and Safari also. Here are some links from Apple and HP describing the problem and how to get around it.
  1. Apple article 25725 about Installer problems
  2. Apple article 25717 about Mail problems
  3. HP document 44592 recommending to trash the offending font
all of those links are useless as it deals with mac os :/

Last edited by Phil^; 11 Jun 2006 at 15:56.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote