User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 11:57   #1
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why I don't use the train

I would like to think of myself as "caring" about the Environment.

However, evidence would suggest I'm not as caring as I think...

I drive about 10,000 miles a year.
Mainly with just me in the car, sometimes with a bag.
Some of the miles are for work and some are justifiable.
I also took 10 flights in 2005 and another 10 (including 4 internal flights) in 2006.

If I really cared about the environment maybe I should use the train? Especially between major cities...
Sometimes I do - but only when work are paying (I actually get paid to drive but when going to London it's not practical).
This is mainly because of the outrageous cost of travelling by train.

Getting a return train to London (if I want to get there before midday) costs approximately £200.
To fly costs £60.
To drive maybe £80.
It's a no-brainer really.

This is all assuming trains are on-time (which they seem to be better than before but still can be irritatingly cancelled or delayed for seemingly no reason).

Now train prices have just gone up again.
No doubt this will be followed by the cost of driving and flying going up again.
Followed by train prices going up again.
Why are we being fleeced so much just to travel round our beautiful country?

Anyway, this is sparked by reading this article that tells you how to save money on your train journeys.
Ideas are:
Get a year railcard for the Isle of Wight which gives you discount on all other rail journeys in the UK.
Get a train further than you want to go and get off early (although if an inspector catches you doing this you can still get charged the full whack apparently)
Split tickets at a station on route (but you still don't need to get off the train)

I thought I would share it with any train users here so you can save a bit of money travelling to the next GD meet

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote