User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 05:39   #1
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice
Time of Defiance

you guys playing it? its planetarion based, does that mean we're having the same alliances? races? ships + a variety of more? anymore helpful inputs than the announcement? thanks!

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 06:00   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Time of Defiance

exactly how is it planetarion based? i don't see anything about mining roids or covert operations and i've no idea how a 4000km square playing area can relate to the multitude of galaxies in which planetarion resides.

does planetarion based mean hosted by jolt, rather than anything to do with planetarion?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 09:25   #3
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

Means hosted by Jolt and looks like they wish to absorb some of the Planetarion Community
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 13:34   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Maybe they have Vsharrack fighters there?
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 13:35   #5
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i've no idea how a 4000km square playing area can relate to the multitude of galaxies in which planetarion resides.
its like everybody in time square with guns and cannons and tanks, and everyone's about 3 feet away from each other, might last 2 days for everybody to kill everybody else

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 13:43   #6
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
you guys playing it? its planetarion based, does that mean we're having the same alliances? races? ships + a variety of more? anymore helpful inputs than the announcement? thanks!

this is a ****ing GD thread
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 13:57   #7
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
this is a ****ing GD thread
planetarion based though, so i dont know..

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 13:59   #8
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
planetarion based though, so i dont know..
No it's not
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 14:01   #9
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
No it's not
ok

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 14:02   #10
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Seeing as Jolt want to advertise it on PA forums and are onviously aiming to attract PA players i'll leave this thread here despite it not being a PA thread.

By the sounds of it the thread will die pretty soon whether or not its here or on GD tbh.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 14:32   #11
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

i think honestly, its advertised poorly =/ just need more info on it on a forum based discussion and not just looking at an ad i.e. on Pa announcements is all - hopefully this thread will help on more and maybe get the community to even think about participating

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 14:40   #12
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

It's not hosted by us nor is it using Planetarion ship names as far as I know. When it says Planetarion-based it means that there has been a special client coded for Planetarion players and there is a round with prizes being run that is open to Planetarion players only.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 16:54   #13
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at it and giggled then hit the cross button and did'nt look back tbh
Hope Jolt advertise PA around like they do this Time of Defiance.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 17:22   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

so zeus was right. it has nothing to do with planetarion and jolt are... bending the truth to their needs again.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 17:31   #15
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I played it for 1.5 hours and I must say... its like Homeworld but then alot worse.... I wish I could say I liked it... but I didnt

and yes I hope noah is right with supporting PA like supporting Time of Defiance

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 17:36   #16
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Played the game for an hour or so... I've had a computer since 1998 and have also played tons of games since that.. but this is the first time I actually wanna kill myself after playing a game because it sucked so god damn much

Question: How could you make this game? Is it some crazy idea you put together while sitting on the loo or what? :| and the graphics.. looks like the game is from the 1990's fs
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 17:59   #17
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

Its a very old game, which explains the graphics.

It does infact have many similarities with Planetarion. It is massively multiplayer, runs non-stop and you mine asteroids(islands in the game). It is like Planetarion in an Real Time Strategy game.

While I played it many many moons ago it, like Planetarion, requires teamwork and the community to make the game fun.

Over all, with playing with friends, it would probably be a great game. Sadly I dont have the time or the friends anymore

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 19:47   #18
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

is it worth downloading then? sounds like its not.. and yea, i agree with noah also, we should get more advertising and support for planetarion

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 20:10   #19
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

Personally I've played it for two days....you have to give these types of games a chance dont you?

I rememeber it from ages ago, think back in beta. Had protencial back then, but after two days of play, Im not so sure. I'll not go on what my likes and dis-likes are, so I'll just say if you got few hours to spare, why not give it a go.

I'd also put a callout to the creators of this game, who have kindly created a game for Planertarion community, to make yourself know on the forums. You obviously value our custom, so perhaps you may value our opinions on the game?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:15   #20
cisco
B0B's m8

cisco will become famous soon enoughcisco will become famous soon enough
Time of Defiance

Gotta say guyz it is a damn good game, i have been playing most of this week and have got right into it, wot do you guyz think, cos i noticed while i was playing there were only about 16 other people online on the server that i was playing on. Unfortunately got to a stage now where i seem not to be able to mine anywhere near enough resources that i need but i am slowly overcomming this situation!!!
WELL DONE JOLT!!!

O btw what are the plans on charging for the game when proper 'rounds' start?
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 23:03   #21
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

It's not a rival to Planetarion, it's an interactive game you play in a client like X2 or something.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 23:10   #22
mist
Jolt's best friend

planetarion and time of defiance both compete for internet gamers. from their overview, i'd say that it's vaguley like eve, and therefore likely to draw people away from planetarion as they're busy with something else.

in this respect it's a bigger rival than plannetia, spac eminers etc as they're relativly simple to play alongside planeration.

furthermore, the 'rivals', who's names you even ban from your boards don't require that users pay, whereas this game is directly competing for pa's cash income.

overall, you're talking bollocks.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 23:13   #23
Zeus
True Gamer

Oh! and concidering, Jolt where kind enough to the makers off Time Of Defiance, by advertising free to the thousands of Planetarion Community. Will they be as kind to Planetarion, by advertising Planetarion to the whole Time of Defiance community for free?

Only right ya know
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:28   #24
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus
Oh! and concidering, Jolt where kind enough to the makers off Time Of Defiance, by advertising free to the thousands of Planetarion Community. Will they be as kind to Planetarion, by advertising Planetarion to the whole Time of Defiance community for free?

Only right ya know

Tiz what I said specially since there was just a free speed round that would have been a perfect time to advertise planetarion for everyone to have a quick weekend fix but i bet they advertised it on planetarion boards and forum only

Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:59   #25
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I tried Time of Defiance back when jolt spoke to us about the possibility of this event, i'll be honest here and say I couln;t work out what the hell I was meant to do in it... but I would like to try again... so if someone wants to tell me...

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 16:14   #26
cisco
B0B's m8

Quote:
I am playing it, and as far as i can see there is absolutely no similarity to pa at all, but it is a damn good and very addictive game and there is always something to do on it. There is a game that i used to play on the old sega megadrive which is strikingly similar although i cannot think of the name of it!
My suggestion is to download the file and play it yourself to see what you think, but i would certainly give it a go! :P
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 16:21   #27
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
I am playing it, and as far as i can see there is absolutely no similarity to pa at all, but it is a damn good and very addictive game and there is always something to do on it. There is a game that i used to play on the old sega megadrive which is strikingly similar although i cannot think of the name of it!
My suggestion is to download the file and play it yourself to see what you think, but i would certainly give it a go! :P
tell me what to do in it please!

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 17:11   #28
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past

im playing it also a bit though but now I found another guy ingame and I cant even attack him
but kal first you build a shitload of mining transporters and some silo's and they just mine the resources from your "astroid" wich means you can build more and more

there is also a way to improve your technology with that gate and some kind of resource you can mine with a special ship

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 17:57   #29
noah02
The Original Terran

Ah resources
There lies the similarity

Unread 29 Jan 2005, 01:07   #30
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

lol funny stuff;o i downloaded it 2 give it ago... but it runs off 1 of the evil ports that my uni blocked bastards! well thankfully from the sounds of things doesnt look like im missing alot

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2005, 07:14   #31
cisco
B0B's m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waku
im playing it also a bit though but now I found another guy ingame and I cant even attack him
but kal first you build a shitload of mining transporters and some silo's and they just mine the resources from your "astroid" wich means you can build more and more

there is also a way to improve your technology with that gate and some kind of resource you can mine with a special ship
Well i must admit that i found it difficult to attack people effectively to start with, when an island is defended by defence turrets etc it is pointless sending ships to attack them because you tend to get mullered before you even manage to get a shot off, but yesterday i bought a libm system (from the eighth house) which is basically a mobile icbm system which you can move from island to island, it uses shitloads of metal resource but 2 of these missiles fired at an enemy island pretty much wiped it out so that i could send my ships in!!!

Must say though i dont think i will be playing it now because it is damn expensive imo, £5 per month, cant afford that i am afraid, not for a game!
Unread 31 Jan 2005, 19:59   #32
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

hmm i think im sticking with Pa.. sorry jolt

Unread 1 Feb 2005, 02:29   #33
exblade
that one dude

exblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura about

another i must agree ToD seems to be a bit too much for me - too lazy to Dl it..and i cant afford another game
ROCK - DC [ROCK]
The Galactic Vikings - DC [TGV]
Vengeance - DC [VGN]
CareBears - DC [CB]

Rounds 9.5,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,19,26,27,28,38
exblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 12:23   #34
Thrud
Old User

Thrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to behold

I've been playing it for the last week, I think it has some potential, but considering that it is a real time strategy game, play is very slow, it takes a long time to travel around. Resources are slow to accumulate and seem to be very limited. I mined out my home planet in a day. This forces travel to other islands which all takes time and getting there you may find its not worth mining (about 60% of the time for me), you can also be stuck tring to build something and run out of a resource and not realise that nothing is happening (this side gets better as you get used to the controls). Ships run out of fuel very quickly, this leaves the universe littered with stranded ships.

It is a little like PA in that it involves ships, mining and hours of nothing happening. As someone said already the graphics engine is very similar to Homeworld.

I'll play it for a little longer but can't really see me being a regular player and certainly wont be paying to play it. Game play is just to slow.
Thrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2005, 14:49   #35
cisco
B0B's m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrud
I'll play it for a little longer but can't really see me being a regular player and certainly wont be paying to play it. Game play is just to slow.
I agree that it is slow, however there are several game servers all running different types of game, some of these games have faster mining times than others so if this bothers you you can try a different game.
The good thing about it is that if you dont have time to play a 2 month campaign you dont have to you can just play a shorter game, and there are always games running.
They also have different divisions so you can join servers with less experienced or with more experienced players in!

I like it, it wont be as good as pa, but is still worth looking into as a time filler when pa is down