User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 16 Dec 2002, 20:28   #1
Androme

Laptop to PC

Is it possible to transfer data from my sister's laptop to my hard-drive? (both have WinXP so that's no problem)

Would taking my modem wire and connecting my pc to her laptop work ?

Thanks
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 20:33   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
borrow a lan pc card.
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 20:48   #3
Androme

thanks - got any suggestions (ie: errors when transfering due to the hardware device) or are they all sound? (miracle!)
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 23:38   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I assume the laptop has an ethernet port. Then all you need, as has been said, is an ethernet card in your PC (about £15 for one capable of 100mbit transfer) and a crossover network cable (various prices depending on length).
It must be crossover or the connection will fail.

WinXP *should* see the cards and automatically configure them. Running the home network wizardy thing should be sufficient to get you up and running for this simple task.

Unread 17 Dec 2002, 01:22   #5
Androme

I already got an ethernet card

I just thought Ethernet cards were used for high speed internet browsing - not for this task

Now all I need is a "crossover" cable

Thanks Megla!