User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 2 Oct 2006, 22:58   #1
Zoro

Zoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura about
A new way to play PA!!!

How about each player when signing up gets 4 planets one for each race - these planets reside in the same galaxy and you can still BP with 2 other players - making 12 friendly planets in the same galaxy. Galaxies may consist of 28 planets initially - maybe 2 random paid and 2 free players.

Tactically this would open the game wide open - everyone would benefit from having all races to call on for attack and defence AND there would be less people leaving mid round as their favourite race had been underpowered.

Instead of thinking of the game as one person one planet - think of a player having a colony.
So how do you play?
Do you make 3 planets support 1 super planet?
Do you strive to make all 4 planets work?

In the last round I felt the race I picked (terran) had a raw deal - attacked from all angles.

One of the most important things that this idea would introduce is MORE planets (maybe 10k) - this would mean MORE galaxies and thus MORE targets

Anyway I'm just throwing this idea out there - I haven't really thought it through much BUT I think there is something in it.

P.S Oh and exiling probably wouldn't be a good idea - as you would split ur colony
Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 23:11   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: A new way to play PA!!!

legalised multi-ing. Bad idea imo
It wouldnt serve any purpose other then to artificially inflate the planet numbers to look better then they really are.
also another aspect to consider is that with more planets , the longer the tick will take to complete. essentially it would quadruple in length. This would probably rule it out being used in speedgames
although exiling wouldnt be a good idea if you wanted to keep all 4 planets 'good' , it would serve a purpose if you wanted to have the three planets supporting the fourth - as farms.
It would also mean 'round-robin' style stats are useless, since you would always have at least one planets whos strength is to defend against the attacking race.

Last edited by Phil^; 2 Oct 2006 at 23:27.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 23:55   #3
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

This brings the benefit of building all ships, with the hassle of 3 more constructions research etc to manage, and an extra 9(12) fleets.

Has it ever been suggested that a planet can build all 4 races (or maybe excluding zik) with a penalty on firepower or cost ?
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 00:10   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Has it ever been suggested that a planet can build all 4 races (or maybe excluding zik) with a penalty on firepower or cost ?
Kind of. Appoco's (et al) love affair with branching tech trees may potentially result in players being able to build multiple types of ship; eg sacrificing the Waves branch in order to get EMP and Cloaking, for example.

I've expressed concerns that this might result in playering being able to achieve the "optimal fleet" - eg, the best from four worlds - thus making their fleet extremely difficult to destroy, however there are ways of overcoming this (plus the obvious cost of forgoing branches of research, like planetary mining is pretty useless to top players anyway).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 00:35   #5
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
It wouldnt serve any purpose other then to artificially inflate the planet numbers to look better then they really are.
One of the most interesting rounds i had playwise was round4 where i multied madly. With 5 or 6 planets in the same gal you have a lot more tactical options for defence. Beeing able to use cross-defence, late-pulling, fake defence, counter-attacks etc. in a coordinated group gave PA a much deeper gameplay then playing with just one measly planet.

In another galaxy i did setup a "spidertrap" planet (it was obviously "easy" to roid with a common fleet combo) and had two other planets setup to catch this specific fleet combo. Thanks to constant incoming and salvage, the gal ran very well

With just one planet you cant try a lot things and things like beeing able to plan more complex tactics is "legally" only available for a small group of players in PA. Not to talk about the busted plans because people dont show up, cant be bothered to log-in at 02:30am, dont agree with a plan or simply refuse to take a hit for the group if necessary.

Otherwise most of the new players just play a peon in an established alliance. Dont forget the advantage that if the inevitable happens and one of your planets is bashed, you can still play with remaining planets and dont lose a new player right away.

Quote:
also another aspect to consider is that with more planets , the longer the tick will take to complete. essentially it would quadruple in length.
Then its about time to fix the ticker
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 03:20   #6
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Yes, why not having 4 planets for everyone, if the score and ranking is based on the 4 planets average.
That's an idea worth thinking about.
An option could be to start with 1 planet (so new players can get used to the game mechanics), then at a given tick, everybody get another one, and so on until we reach 4.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 03:31   #7
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
Yes, why not having 4 planets for everyone, if the score and ranking is based on the 4 planets average.
That's an idea worth thinking about.
An option could be to start with 1 planet (so new players can get used to the game mechanics), then at a given tick, everybody get another one, and so on until we reach 4.
While were at it why dont we let all the multihunters go home and allow everyone to cheat.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 08:28   #8
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

but I dont want to login 4 times, I want to login 1 time and then have my 4 planets to select...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 14:24   #9
Zoro

Zoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura about

I am not suggesting that this idea is well thought through
BUT calling it legalised multying is wrong - Because the title of my thread is about a new way to play. We have to throw out all our past experiences in the game to understand and appreciate the new idea.
This new way would solve certain problems (to an extent)
1) Stat balancing - so fustrating when the stats are so unbalanced - with everyone having each race
2) Exiling - people will be more reluctant to jump ship and leave their colony - maybe this would lead to more encouragement for newer players learning the game in a more stable galaxy.

I too played round 4 and I had about 6 accounts and my friend had another 4 between us we ran a galaxy and with about another 4 or 5 semi / active players we had our own little community. We had our own little gal wars and I occasionally got some big planets in the game to help me beat on people that had picked on me - I basically messaged all the big planets in the top 100 and told them how I was being picked on - it was great
BUT
A real big challenge to run that many accounts

I'm sure there are other benefits and maybe it could be coded to make it easier to manage - maybe queing constructions etc

3)
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 16:57   #10
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

quite interesting :/
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 17:54   #11
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

i kinda like this
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 20:18   #12
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

sounds good, I have been advocating the legalised multiing for some time (much to the disgust of my peers) I believe that diversity and choice should be a large part of this game. Let the user have more control.
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 20:10   #13
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

bright idea, imho.

Its just few things i wouuld like to make clear.

A) What will happen to Zik (speculations plz. I think due to the need of stealing(coz u can just build ships of any type) they could be useless... or combined with EMP uberpowerfull)

B) would the resource pile be the same, or separated between planets. as such, would planets share construction/research or would it beb fully separated ?

C) that will further increase the difference between stronger and weaker alliances. would alliancesize be balanced based on standings ?

D) would there be any way to actually choose races for your planets ? or will it be mandatory to have one of each ? The higher customization to your planet system will provide so many more ways to alter your tactics, that it might be something to be put into consideration.
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 21:07   #14
crazypyro
Sir WhoDaNanny

crazypyro can only hope to improve

4 planets + 1 of each race = 3 ship farms for your Zik planet

but then you say, "make it so you can't attack your own planets"
ok then you might as well make it so you can't defend your own planets, and you can't share resources with your own planets.

you kill one aspect you have to cancel the others as there just as beneficiary
crazypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 21:36   #15
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of having multiple planets to micro-manage, just allow for the extended tech tree--or some variation thereof.

It's a fairly old idea that has some merit.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 01:09   #16
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

no, let people shipfarm and stuff if they want with their 4 planets, will it make them stronger than if they just cultivate them all properly and coordinate their fleets together though? this will all be up for thought and of strategical foresight!
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 14:46   #17
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, read the post.

One colony.

Four planets.

On a constructive note, this idea would be much better implemented if the rules were deconstructed and properly put in place first, much diluted.

The game's developers would probably want to speak to the multihunters about how the game they've made *should* be interpreted (before they might misinterpret it and change it for the worse).
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 20:21   #18
Zoro

Just trying to order my thoughts a bit

sorry it's in note form

So each player has 4 planets (colony).
The planets are controlled from one account BUT each planet can attack or be attacked. So each planet grows at a different rate depending on success.
The total value/xp of the 4 planets make the players score.
Each planet has different attributes - a bit like they are now - one may steal freeze (maybe scan)
The planets can defend each other or other players in the universe (ally, BP, galmates).
Resources can be passed around the 4 planets to either repair planets/fleets that have been attacked. Or to make one uber planet if u so wish.
The 4 planets cannot attack each other BUT the can attack together.
Individual planets can exile but there is still the random element so it would be very unlikely any of ur planets would end in the same galaxy.

I will add more when I think of them
P.S it would certainly nice to look at a universe with 10k targets than just the 2.5k we currently have
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 20:56   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think it would be a good idea that your Colonies cannot land in the same galaxy.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 01:10   #20
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Maybe there should be a level below the galaxy... call it Solar System
Each player leads his solar system.
- There is a first planet (first choice) with all the current features.
- There are 3 colony planets with different levels of development possible.
A bit like the engineers, you set the priority of development of the 3 colonies, it opens some features.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 10:08   #21
exblade
that one dude

exblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura about

you realize you just decided to take PA and make it a completely different game right?
code it if u wanna try it.
or ask like netwars to try it or something
ROCK - DC [ROCK]
The Galactic Vikings - DC [TGV]
Vengeance - DC [VGN]
CareBears - DC [CB]

Rounds 9.5,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,19,26,27,28,38
exblade is offline   Reply With Quote