User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 19 Mar 2008, 20:38   #1
s7n
7ish

s7n is an unknown quantity at this point
8800gt

There are so many different versions of this card and I'm not sure which one to get, or which other graphics card I should get, I'm looking to spend around 350, but as I said the 8800GT looks fairly decent but which one is the best?

I heard the XFX "Alpha Dog" Edition is fairly good, anyone have this card or know of it?
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 00:12   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: 8800gt

What's '350' translate to in dollars or pounds stirling?
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 01:16   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As far as I know, the exact model gfx card is not really important.

pablissimo, USD 324, assuming s7n meant australian dollars.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 03:43   #4
s7n
7ish

350 Australian/US (exchange rate is so close now)
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 09:08   #5
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Or choose an ATI card :-) Not much difference

I would simply check google for your card type plus the word 'review', or 'compared'.
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 10:08   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

See I'm actually curious about this one too, because in the past I've not really given a crap who made the card so long as it had the core I was after. Where's MrL when you need him?

I was looking at getting something like this for my next box which fits snugly into your top-end price bracket, at least at UK prices. It's clocked to 600MHz since I can't get round the idea that short of water-cooling the damned things the 650-700MHz cards are going to need some pretty effective air-flow which in turn means noise. For a gaming rig that's not too much of an issue, but it's still a bit of a pain to have a light aircraft take off by your crotch every time you fire up CoD4
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 10:38   #7
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

as i allways had problems to tell what gfx card is good and what is bad i want to share this:
though it is only for nvidia cards

lets see we have a card named 8800 gt,
the first 8 is describing the chip usually the higher the better
the second 8 is the power of the card here is a higher number always good.
the next two numbers are describing the accessory of the card.
(like tv out of special software package etc.)
the letter addition is the following gs -> gt -> gts -> gtx -> ultra
(slow -> fast)
i am not sure if this also fits with mobility chips.

but perhaps somebody finds this useful...

Last edited by sale; 20 Mar 2008 at 12:00.
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 10:50   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Untrue for the 8800 series. The 8800 GTX is based on a different chip than the 8800 GT.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 11:21   #9
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

nah thats the same chip, it is just manufactured with a different process that it is getting smaller

but you are right thats why i have written usually
as the 9600 is the same chip as the 8xxx series have
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 21:54   #10
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Lets make this better: dont look how much you want to spend, look what you wanna DO with it, and then see what it costs. If it is over your budget, cut down on what you want to do or live with the higher price. Anything else then looking at what you actually NEED is moronic.

So, wqhat do you want to DO. After you answer, ppl might give some better advice
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2008, 22:19   #11
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

These may help:

The Best Gaming Graphics Cards for the Money: March 2008

GFX card chart

To compare different 8800GT cards just compare their clock rates, ram speed, bus width etc.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2008, 00:17   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

from what i hear, the XFX alpha dog is the best of the 8800GT's, but not by much

personally, at the moment, i wouldnt reccomend spending any more than the price of an 8800GT (or one of the newer process GTS's) as the price premium for anything better than that is a lot of money for not a lot of performance boost
Unread 22 Mar 2008, 01:26   #13
s7n
7ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
from what i hear, the XFX alpha dog is the best of the 8800GT's, but not by much

personally, at the moment, i wouldnt reccomend spending any more than the price of an 8800GT (or one of the newer process GTS's) as the price premium for anything better than that is a lot of money for not a lot of performance boost
I have been paying particular attention to the alpha dog, but I hear its short in stock so I'm going to take a look around if I can find it. If I do find it I will probably buy it. Thanks for everyones input!
Unread 22 Mar 2008, 01:37   #14
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

stock shortages is the reason i didnt buy one when i got my new computer at the start of the year
Unread 10 Apr 2008, 02:34   #15
willjo

willjo is on a distinguished road

BFG 8800GT OC2 is a very good card
willjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2008, 19:27   #16
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Tom's Hardware got a monthly comparrison.

www.tomshardware.com
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote