User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Jan 2008, 21:13   #1
Kenny

New PC

Ok guys, I'm getting my student loan in sometime over the next two weeks. Because it's being backdated to the start of the university year, and I haven't had any loan payments to date, I'm expecting in the region of £2750. For a student, that's a lot.

So, having sold my old PC to make some money 1 month ago... and doing a web design course at university... I figured I'd go hog wild and splash out on a new PC. One that'll last me at least until I finish my course.

Here's what I came up with:

Processor: Premium Chassis - Intel® 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)
Monitor: Dell™ 19" Silver Wide Flat Panel (SE198WFP) - UK/Irish
Memory: 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
Hard Drive: 1TB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x500GB - 7200rpm)
Graphics Card: 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX
Optical Drive: 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
Keyboard: Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
Mouse: Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse
Soundcard: Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI Soundcard

All this for £1139.01 (including VAT/Delivery).

A) Thoughts?
B) Can you top the specs for equal or less £££?

And yes, it is a Dell. But an XPS gaming machine at that.
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 21:16   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: New PC

The problem I have with buying complete computers is that they often contain parts I don't need. I have a monitor, I have a mouse, I have a HDD.

That said, the one you picked seems fine for its price, although I'm not exactly up-to-date on these things. (I only ever am when I need to upgrade my own pc)
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 21:33   #3
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do you really need all that? If youve got £1200 to spend then why not get a normal desktop for £500-600, a cheap second-hand laptop for college, and then spend the rest on a Wii if youre that desperate to play games.

Are new PC games really that much better than new console games to the extent that you can justify the £400+ price difference to play them? You could almost buy a Wii and an Xbox 360 for the cost of that graphics card.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 21:38   #4
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Do you really need all that? If youve got £1200 to spend then why not get a normal desktop for £500-600, a cheap second-hand laptop for college, and then a Wii if youre that desperate to play games.

Are new PC games really that much better than new console games that you can justify the £400+ price difference?

Well, firstly, you can't play Crysis on a Wii. Second, I have a crappy laptop already - that's what I'm using now.

I need a decent PC that's gonna be a top-notch machine for a while. I think the 1Tb HDD (or two 500Gb) is gonna last me... forever. The graphics card is the best (or near as damnit) out at the moment, so will last me also last me ages. And what else am I gonna spend the money on? I don't 'do' console gaming; never have.
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 21:44   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the plane would take off
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 21:47   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

All the girls in your hall are going to be hanging out playing Mario Party with the cool kids while youre locked in your room playing PC games and eating monster munch.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 21:52   #7
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You could spend half as much money on a decent PC without all the 'OMG IT'S SO CUTTING EDGE & LEET I COULD CARVE RAW STEAK ON IT ROFLOMGOLOLEGGSANDCHIPSALOLOLMFG" and keep the rest of the money to live on without sponging off your parents or whining here in three months time about how expensive it is being a student without a job and why-oh-why did I spend so much on a graphics card when I can't afford to eat cabbage soup.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 22:06   #8
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

if your doing it for web design you may want to get a cheap 2nd monitor and a graphics card and do some dual monitoring - trust me from experience, coding on one monitor and firefox for testing on the other one saves alt tabbing
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 22:17   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd go with that - if you're a developer or will in the near future be doing any extensive dev work then I'd rather have a second monitor than a top-of-the-range graphics card. However, web development isn't exactly the most hardware-taxing thing to do so I'd go with Nod's suggestion.

Also Crysis isn't that good.
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 22:21   #10
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Save it :O
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 22:31   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The graphics card's price:performance is terrible, buy an 8800GT and by the time it starts getting stressed by much (other than Crysis, but it's not a great game and noone will use the engine) you can get another, much better than the GTX, graphics card with the money you saved.

Also, unless you're using Vista 64 bit (which you probably aren't) you can only use 3 gigs of those 4 gigs of RAM.

Processor choice is ok, but if you're doing web design you really should be able to make your own PC and get something of similar specs at a few hundred pounds less. Hell, you could get two 21" widescreen TFTs and still come out £200 or so ahead.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 23:40   #12
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The graphics card's priceerformance is terrible, buy an 8800GT and by the time it starts getting stressed by much (other than Crysis, but it's not a great game and noone will use the engine) you can get another, much better than the GTX, graphics card with the money you saved.

Also, unless you're using Vista 64 bit (which you probably aren't) you can only use 3 gigs of those 4 gigs of RAM.

Processor choice is ok, but if you're doing web design you really should be able to make your own PC and get something of similar specs at a few hundred pounds less. Hell, you could get two 21" widescreen TFTs and still come out £200 or so ahead.

I've not been keeping up with the hardware side of computing for about 3 years... which is a long time to be 'out of the game'. As such, I'd struggle to put my own rig together. I searched for all the components listed above on ebuyer.co.uk and with the extra parts I needed to buy (case, motherboard, PSU etc...) it came in at slightly more expensive than listed above. I wouldn't know the first thing about compatability anymore.

I always used to think ebuyer was a good site with cheap products - I built my first pc out of parts from ebuyer, so to have the price come in at slightly more expensive than the Dell equivelent; that's what prompted me to favour the XPS.

However, you're not the first person who's told me I could put something together for cheaper; yet nobody's advised me as to how (help?). The advice about having 1Gb of idle ram is appreciated though, can knock £70 off the price by taking it down to 3Gb. Also if I downgraded the card from a 768Mb 8800 GTX, from what I can make out you're suggesting that I opt for the 512Mb 8800 GT instead due to performance issues of the 'faster' card? If I downgraded the graphics card on that rig I'd need a different (+ marginally cheaper) variation of the processor. Ie the non-premium chasis variety.

However - if I wanted to opt for dual sli graphics cards and thus dual monitors, I can't find anything online that could touch the price of the rig I've chosen above (high though it is).

Suggestions?
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 00:10   #13
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Don't play games. Or do what Nodrog said.

Find the most resource intensive program you're likely to use in college. Buy a computer that will run that.

Spend the rest on Acid.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 00:13   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

5 minutes gave me ~£691 including VAT (but excluding monitors and control devices) for a PC of similar specs from Ebuyer, albeit with my second choice of motherboard because they didn't have the Abit IP35.

(Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 6400, 2x500GB Western Digital sata HDD, some 8800GT (they're all pretty much the same), Antec Sonata III with 500W (and decent) PSU)

Just realised I forgot the optical drive as well, but if you pay more than £30 for one you've gone mad.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13660 is from a while ago, but their advice is still basically sound where it comes to the "sweet spot", which is what you're after.

Note that Dell monitors, while good, are disproportionately expensive in the UK compared to others of similar performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
The advice about having 1Gb of idle ram is appreciated though, can knock £70 off the price by taking it down to 3Gb.
You can get 4 gigs of RAM for £70 nowadays.

Quote:
Also if I downgraded the card from a 768Mb 8800 GTX, from what I can make out you're suggesting that I opt for the 512Mb 8800 GT instead due to performance issues of the 'faster' card?
It's not a performance issue, you just always pay a huge premium for the fastest available card.

Quote:
However - if I wanted to opt for dual sli graphics cards and thus dual monitors, I can't find anything online that could touch the price of the rig I've chosen above (high though it is).
You don't need SLI for dual monitors, and it's not really useful at all right now.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 18 Jan 2008 at 00:21.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 00:55   #15
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
I think the 1Tb HDD (or two 500Gb) is gonna last me... forever.
If you use the 2 500GB drives to store 1TB of data instead of using something like a mirror set and you dont buy a backup device, you truly dont seem to need your data for long

667Mhz DDR-2 ram sucks - 1066mhz is standard in fast machines at current prices. Anybody buying less then 800mhz nowadays, has no clue. Overall i think you are wasting your money and will probably regret it in some months.

Oh and about monitors - instead of a 19" monitor you may want to check the 20" or 22" 16:10 monitors with 1680x1050 resolution which dropped a lot in price and are the choice of many people nowadays.

Last edited by Ramihyn; 18 Jan 2008 at 01:02.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 01:31   #16
Recon
Notice Me!!! Notice Me!!!

Recon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to all

Quote:
Ok guys, I'm getting my student loan in sometime over the next two weeks. Because it's being backdated to the start of the university year, and I haven't had any loan payments to date, I'm expecting in the region of £2750. For a student, that's a lot.

So, having sold my old PC to make some money 1 month ago... and doing a web design course at university... I figured I'd go hog wild and splash out on a new PC. One that'll last me at least until I finish my course.

Here's what I came up with:

Processor: Premium Chassis - Intel® 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)
Monitor: Dell™ 19" Silver Wide Flat Panel (SE198WFP) - UK/Irish
Memory: 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
Hard Drive: 1TB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x500GB - 7200rpm)
Graphics Card: 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX
Optical Drive: 16x DVD +/- RW Drive

All this for £1139.01 (including VAT/Delivery).

A) Thoughts?
B) Can you top the specs for equal or less £££?

And yes, it is a Dell. But an XPS gaming machine at that.
Having just come in the money aswell(a substantial amount) i thought i'd upgrade too, i've never had a good pc so to speak so this is the first time ever i've had a really awesome one -> I have no idea what pretty much any of it is, my flatmate is really into pc's and helped me order all this but yeah as i say the pc i've got now is ****in a!

Qty Product Description QuickFind Status Delivery Cost (ex VAT) Line cost
1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor 131823 Warehouse Invoiced Track £129.35 £129.35
1 x Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler 105994 Warehouse Invoiced Track £12.75 £12.75
1 x Liteon LH-20A1H-487C 20xDVD±RW/DL LightScribe Beige, Black & Silver Bezels - Retail With Nero 125078 Warehouse Invoiced Track £21.26 £21.26
1 x MSI P35 Platinum Socket 775 FSB1333 onboard 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard 128048 Warehouse Invoiced Track £83.79 £83.79
1 x Corsair HX Series 620W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC 114941 Warehouse Invoiced Track £75.68 £75.68
1 x Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) E.P.P.DHX Technology Lifetime Warranty 119738 Warehouse Invoiced Track £52.01 £52.01
1 x Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard - Retail Boxed 127553 Warehouse Invoiced Track £48.73 £48.73
1 x Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM 130454 Warehouse Invoiced Track £50.97 £50.97
1 x Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Optical Mouse - PS2/USB 72943 Warehouse Invoiced Track £31.73 £31.73
1 x Aspire X-Cruiser Black ATX Windowed Gaming Case - No PSU 101679 Warehouse Invoiced Track £51.05 £51.05
1 x Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard - USB - UK 119595 Warehouse Invoiced Track £44.20 £44.20
1 x Hyundai W240D 24" Full HD TFT Widescreen 1920x1200 3000:1 400cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI/HDMI FullHD 1080p Speakers 3 Years Warranty 133517 Warehouse Invoiced Track £299.99 £299.99

Order Total £1077.31

That's just copied from ebuyer sorry if it appears crap oh and the gfx card i had to get from dabs as ebuyer were sold out but i think it was your one, flatmate said just get that until the 9series or something comes out(once again i have no idea what he's talking about)

But yeah that's my new pc and it ****ing rocks ^ hope this helps in someway/anyway

[Edit[ Crysis kicks ass aswell btw!

Also if you were interested the games i'm running atm are

Crysis
Unreal Tournament
Call of Duty 4
Supreme Commander: Forge Alliance
and not so much anymore now but warcraft

All games being run in 1900x1200 and the graphics look awesome and don't experience any lag at all!

[/edit]
He isn't what I would call a menace but he is like a child trapped in a fat child with cerebal palsy's body which is wrapped in denim.He seemed to always bitch at everything that ever happened ever even if it was a post that read "SUNDAY8PM IS THE KING OF THE SOCIAL SCENE!" he would still bitch about it. Oh and it's a well known fact that if you mash Sunday8pm's face into a keyboard, the words "More Hula Hoops Please" will mysteriously appear on screen every time.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 01:43   #17
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

anyone who buys a gtx over a gt at the moment needs to be shot for wasting money

oh, and MrL, it can actually detect and use 3.52Gb of the 4gig RAM, which sounds a bit stupid i know, but there you go.

either go Q6600 or dual core 6750 depending on the money you have available - as long as you get the energy efficieny 6750's and you know what you are doing you can get some pretty nice performance out of them

oh and im using a thermaltake soprano case - which has bags of space inside and is all easy access - which is nice
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 03:53   #18
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
oh, and MrL, it can actually detect and use 3.52Gb of the 4gig RAM, which sounds a bit stupid i know, but there you go.
Actually, the exact maximum amount of RAM 32-bit windows can use will vary between computers. While Windows can address 4GB of memory, some of this addressing space is used for other devices connected to the mobo such as graphics cards and PCI devices and not just RAM
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 03:56   #19
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
wait for penryn and the 9800GX2. get the evga card and then step up to a proper 9 series card in the preceeding 3 months. that's what i'm doing anyway.

edit: wait for the penryn quads that is
Er, no idea what you're talking about. Is the penryn a type of processor?

I'm so lost
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 04:56   #20
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor - £129.35
Cooling: Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler - £12.75
Optical: Liteon LH-20A1H-487C 20xDVD±RW/DL LightScribe Beige, Black & Silver Bezels - Retail With Nero - £21.26
Motherboard: MSI P35 Platinum Socket 775 FSB1333 onboard 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - £83.79
PSU: Corsair HX Series 620W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC - £75.685
RAM: Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory £52.01
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard - Retail Boxed - £48.73
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM - £50.97
Mouse: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Optical Mouse - PS2/USB - £31.73
Case: Aspire X-Cruiser Black ATX Windowed Gaming Case - No PSU - £51.05
Keyboard: Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard - USB - UK - £44.20
Monitor: Hyundai W240D 24" Full HD TFT Widescreen 1920x1200 3000:1 400cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI/HDMI FullHD 1080p Speakers 3 Years Warranty - £299.99
I'm bored, so I edited your post so that I could make sense of it.

Also, the card in my setup is listed on dabs for £292.98 (see here)

Taking your total to £1370.29 (assuming you didn't include the price of the card originally).

For what I'm getting I have 2Gb more RAM (slower ram though it may be, there's still more memory power there) and 0.5Tb more HDD space.

Your monitor definately pwns mine though... I've decided I'm gonna exclude the Dell monitor from my order and spend the extra £££ on getting a better deal elsewhere if one's available.

I can save £140 on the 19" Dell monitor and I'm being talked into getting a 32" Samsung for £299 instead.

My overall cost would still be £70 less, with all the above advantages and a kick-ass monitor, plus I wouldn't have to put it together when it got delivered.

I think I'm sold.

Last edited by Kenny; 18 Jan 2008 at 05:04.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 05:19   #21
Kenny

Quote:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=160108

yeah, it's intels new line up. they should be out next month.
Had a look at that site, interesting stuff. Shame AMD's getting it's proverbial posterior handed to it by Intel, I was always an AMD fanboy over Intel.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 07:48   #22
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
For what I'm getting I have 2Gb more RAM (slower ram though it may be, there's still more memory power there) and 0.5Tb more HDD space.
Speed > Size - unless you actually _require_ more then 2gb. The faster your CPU is, the more the main memory bandwidth is limiting it. Personally i am a bit surprised that selling 667Mhz ram is still common (beside for compatibility) as 800mhz is the same or lower price and delivers ~20% higher bandwidth.

For the decent CPU you selected, i would buy 1066Mhz DDR-2 currently. 2 GB 1066Mhz DDR-2 in a Kit cost 66 € here and its ~60% faster then your 667Mhz Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
The really stupid thing is that the 4gb limit in some 32bit windows versions is just for compatibility/marketing reasons. Technically PAE allows to address 64GB since the Intel Pentium Pro for 32bit software.

Memory limits for windows versions

If you really NEED to access more then 3.5 GB Ram is a completely different question and depends on what you use your machine for. Personally i would prefer 2 GB of 1200 MHz RAM over 8 GB of 667Mhz RAM anytime.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 09:27   #23
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I can save £140 on the 19" Dell monitor and I'm being talked into getting a 32" Samsung for £299 instead.
You don't need anything bigger than 25", if you really need the space then go for dual monitors.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 09:40   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
If you use the 2 500GB drives to store 1TB of data instead of using something like a mirror set and you dont buy a backup device, you truly dont seem to need your data for long
Raid 1 is pointless for the kind of thing he'll be using it for. He can just back up work he wants to save to a USB memory stick, doesn't exactly matter if his Crysis install goes down (or similar) and that's assuming it will - hard drives generally don't fall over without warning past the first couple of weeks of operation.

Quote:
Oh and about monitors - instead of a 19" monitor you may want to check the 20" or 22" 16:10 monitors with 1680x1050 resolution which dropped a lot in price and are the choice of many people nowadays.
If you want to play Alpha Centauri, get a widescreen and a "normal" TFT, because Alpha crashes for me when I try to run it on the widescreen. But that's probably my issue alone, AC is a bizarre game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon
All games being run in 1900x1200 and the graphics look awesome and don't experience any lag at all!
Crysis must look (comparatively) ugly as hell, because the fastest configuration you can currently get flakes out with everything turned on. (~30 fps at DX10 v high with triple SLI 8800GTX's, no FSAA or AF).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
4 gigs in total, it depends what other devices you have.

eg: http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1...exampleir0.png
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 10:19   #25
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Raid 1 is pointless for the kind of thing he'll be using it for. He can just back up work he wants to save to a USB memory stick, doesn't exactly matter if his Crysis install goes down (or similar) and that's assuming it will - hard drives generally don't fall over without warning past the first couple of weeks of operation.
Depends on what he uses his 1TB storage for. I just keep seeing people spending much money for PC hardware which often doesnt make much sense (spending the last 30% of the money for increases they either wont notice or cant even use), but they keep completely ignoring the backup/data safety problem.

Great for me as i make money with recovering data and i see a lot of those "new" and large IDE hard disks lately. Manufacturing quality really got much worse the last years due the price competition in the consumer market.

Regarding USB sticks - there is a wave of manipulated USB sticks beeing sold right now which lead to severe data loss after a while. Multiple brands are affected here in the german market. I would definately verify any USB stick i buy before using it for backup purpose.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 13:25   #26
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Also, the card in my setup is listed on dabs for £292.98 (see here)

i would still say go for the 8800gt rather than the gtx and save yourself about £150 for no real performance hit and a cooler running card
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 13:55   #27
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How do you plan to eat?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 13:56   #28
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
The problem I have with buying complete computers is that they often contain parts I don't need. I have a monitor, I have a mouse, I have a HDD.

That said, the one you picked seems fine for its price, although I'm not exactly up-to-date on these things. (I only ever am when I need to upgrade my own pc)
I find that PCs don't come with these things nowadays and monitors and the such are classed as 'additional extras'.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 13:58   #29
All Systems Go

Quote:
And what else am I gonna spend the money on? I don't 'do' console gaming; never have.
Alocohol, drugs and hookers?

The fact you asked this question makes me sad.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 14:12   #30
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You should go wild and invest this money into a high interest investment account.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 15:09   #31
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
You should go wild and invest this money into a high interest investment account.
Yeah. I think Northern Rock have some pretty good deals atm.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 15:18   #32
Kenny

Ok, take 2:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
Memory: 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x1024]
HDD: 640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)
Graphics: 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card
TV: Integrated Hybrid TV Tuner card with Dell Media Remote control
Optical1: 16x DVD+/-RW
Optical2: 48x CDRW/DVD Combo Drive

This comes in at £988.99.

Key differences:

Non-premium chasis processor
Ram: 4Gb 800Mhz (as opposed to 4Gb 667Mhz)
No monitor (to be bought seperately)
640Gb HDD (as opposed to 1Tb)
GeForce 8800 GT (512Mb as opposed to 768Mb GTX)
TV Card (If I'm getting a 32" monitor, might as well use it as a tv too)

So... thoughts? :P

Last edited by Kenny; 18 Jan 2008 at 15:36.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 15:41   #33
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Alocohol, drugs and hookers?

The fact you asked this question makes me sad.
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Yeah. I think Northern Rock have some pretty good deals atm.
lol
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 15:53   #34
Kenny

Quote:
sounds good. once you've built it maybe you could replace your current sig with the stats.
I was struggling for inspiration for a new sig.

Thanks.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 16:16   #35
All Systems Go

Quote:
Sorry
Don't apologise to me. Apologise to all the hookers who spend all night freezing their tits off standing on the street whilst you're in a snug and cozy bedroom wanking over porn you've downloaded on your new PC.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 16:35   #36
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Don't apologise to me. Apologise to all the hookers who spend all night freezing their tits off standing on the street whilst you're in a snug and cozy bedroom wanking over porn you've downloaded on your new PC.
You have any contact numbers for them? Instead of taking to the streets looking for then speaking to them all individually; all the while getting soaking wet and having to avoid being mugged - I could just phone them because I get 1000 minutes to any mobile in the UK because I'm also spending a shitload of money on a contract telephone.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 16:51   #37
All Systems Go

Wow, it's true! You really can steal some really good stuff in Dundee.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 17:32   #38
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do you have any example webpages we can look at to see the difference pre- and post-PC?

Unread 18 Jan 2008, 18:09   #39
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Do you have any example webpages we can look at to see the difference pre- and post-PC?
They're both from the Dell website... I could give you the links to the two different systems but I customized them myself and the links dont save any changes the user's made to the default specs.

Last edited by Kenny; 18 Jan 2008 at 18:17.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 18:21   #40
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't know how student loans work in the UK. What does back dating the loan do? Is the 2750 the entire loan? Is it for an entire year or is this just the installment total due to back dating with more to come?

The cost of the computer is 41% of your total 2750. That seems rather extravagant.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 18:43   #41
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
I don't know how student loans work in the UK. What does back dating the loan do? Is the 2750 the entire loan? Is it for an entire year or is this just the installment total due to back dating with more to come?

The cost of the computer is 41% of your total 2750. That seems rather extravagant.
I'm entitled to £4400 for the year in student loans, it gets paid to me in 8 monthly installments; because I've had no installments yet I get the ones I've missed out on included in my next installment. I'll have 3 to go after that.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 18:49   #42
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Just out of curiosity - why the second optical drive?
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 18:58   #43
Kenny

I was just looking at the specs of the GTX versus the GT...

Discrete Memory: 768Mb vs 512Mb
Controller Speed: 575Mhz vs 600Mhz
OBMemory Speed: 900Mhz vs 900Mhz
OMB Data Width: 384-bit vs 256-bit

It seems to me that the GTX really is a far better card... but then that's just looking at the numbers; I don't know what they mean in the real world.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 19:06   #44
Kenny

Quote:
Just out of curiosity - why the second optical drive?
Convenience more than anything else. I always used to have two optical drives. Originally I wanted them for copying CDs, but it became a thing of lazyness swapping discs from the one drive over all the time.

It's something that I genuinely missed in my last PC which only had the one optical drive.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 19:47   #45
Kenny

Ok, take three:

Memory: 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x1024]
HDD: 1TB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x500GB - 7200rpm)
Graphics: 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX
TV: Integrated Hybrid TV Tuner card with Dell Media Remote control

Total Cost: £1124.01 (inc VAT/del)

Differences:

Back to the GTX, 1Tb HDD and premium chasis processor.
Kept dual optical drives / 800Mhz RAM

Leaving me £170 for a monitor, which should be more than enough for a decent 22"...

Unread 18 Jan 2008, 19:47   #46
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Convenience more than anything else. I always used to have two optical drives. Originally I wanted them for copying CDs, but it became a thing of lazyness swapping discs from the one drive over all the time.

It's something that I genuinely missed in my last PC which only had the one optical drive.
There are several cheap software solutions which allow you to rip a CD/DVD to your hard disk and mount the images in a virtual CD/DVD drive. Daemon tools also have a free ad-supported version.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 19:53   #47
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
They're both from the Dell website... I could give you the links to the two different systems but I customized them myself and the links dont save any changes the user's made to the default specs.
Ah, no, I meant example webpages you've made yourself.

If you're going to spend $2000 on a PC to make webpages, they'd better be pretty special, so I was looking to see how the new stuff stakcs up with the old.

You can update this thread later when you've sone some new stuff, I won't ban you for bumping an old thread.

Again, probably.

Unread 18 Jan 2008, 20:08   #48
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Ah, no, I meant example webpages you've made yourself.

If you're going to spend $2000 on a PC to make webpages, they'd better be pretty special, so I was looking to see how the new stuff stakcs up with the old.

You can update this thread later when you've sone some new stuff, I won't ban you for bumping an old thread.

Again, probably.
Most of the money I'm investing into the PC is for gaming and picture/video editing. I'm first year web design and have nothing in my portfolio yet so there's not a lot of chance of a before/after demonstration.

And again, I'm spending as much as I am as to make this PC a long-term investment, not something I'm gonna have to update every few months. I started the thread to get as much feedback as possible as to the components inside the pc, and the overall value-for-money, and am pleased with the (majority of*) responses.

* read: "some"
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 20:25   #49
Kenny

Quote:
and yeah, going by numbers in terms of "this looks bigger than that" is pointless. there are many different bottlenecks on graphics cards. to give you an example, there's a new GS model coming out with over 700mb of VRAM, and guess what... it's still slower than the GT (which has 512).
that's not to say the GTX isn't faster than the GT, it is. it just isn't that much faster.
If you don't mind spending an extra £30 or so the new 512MB GTS is a tad faster than the GT. blah blah, basically do what i said in my first post if you don't mind waiting a month.
Personally, I'd rather not wait; though the 9x series does look tempting.

Selection choice also comes down to the components available through Dell, as that's where I'm buying the system from. The reason I'm doing it this way is to save the hassle of construct the PC myself (though I could do it if I REALLY REALLY wanted!) and it works out cheaper from Dell than building up from scratch.
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 23:07   #50
roadrunner_0
cynic

i wouldnt even take the gs over the gt, it still runs hotter for a slight performance gain