User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Aug 2007, 11:59   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Student Accommodation

I shall shortly be moving to London to go to university only I forgot to apply for student accommidation and now I'm on a waiting list. I think I should start looking for a plsce to live. What I'm looking for is something cheap. Where shall I begin?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 12:12   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: Student Accommidation

Houseboats!

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 12:16   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.gumtree.com/
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 12:26   #4
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What pab said,

why are you going to uni?
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 12:30   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Something to do, innit?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 12:31   #6
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I thought you were poor and had no money, surely a job would be more sensible?
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 12:33   #7
All Systems Go

*sigh*
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 12:46   #8
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
*sigh*
What?

If I could afford to bum around and go to uni for another year or three I would, but I can't. So resigned myself to getting a job.
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 13:07   #9
All Systems Go

I didn't ask for your opinion, much less your blessing. All I want is advice to prevent me living on the street*, nothing else. If you want to have the 'why don't you get a job?' stop again then there are plenty of fully-formed threads for you to have a wank over.

*murdering Midge5 and taking his home
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 13:09   #10
pig
1up on you

I want to know why you are going to university.

I asked you first time. You ignored the question. So I commented on the job the second time. You ignored the jibe, third time I just didn't care and gave my opinion.

You see theres only so much internet cool you can have, how about you tell us why you are going back to uni. I was actually genuinelly interested. Where are you going, studying etc.
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 13:17   #11
All Systems Go

It's something to do. My job acquiring issues have been rather well-publicised so I'm going back to uni. I'm going to study for an MRes in Politics at Goldsmiths.

I'm looking to study something I enjoy and gain some research-based skills. I am also looking for a paid part-time internship, but apparantly these don't actually exist, so I'm looking for a part-time job and a rather limited internship. I'm well aware this may actually cause me to work myself to death, but so will stayign at home being an unemployed.
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 13:34   #12
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Wouldn't it be sensible to study something that actually got you a job?
Studying politics is about as useful for the average student on the job marked as polishing your knob at regular intervals.

Unread 15 Aug 2007, 13:39   #13
All Systems Go

Christ!

*deep breath*

OK!

I want to move into the field of politics. I would like to work for a think tank or some such organisation. I would like go develop my research skills (see this thread) and use the oppertunity to to boost my CV and gain some intern experiance which is rather scarce outside of London (practically unheard of in Cardiff).

What do you suggest?
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 13:54   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

David Beckham Studies?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 14:07   #15
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

For future reference, it's accommodation.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 14:10   #16
All Systems Go

A woman on the phone asked me to spell it and I got it wrong and ever since I've lost confidence in the word!
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 14:17   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Confedence. It's true!
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 15:14   #18
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hey man don't go trying to take the "i'll be a student for the rest of my life" internet niche, nod's got that one firmly sewn up
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 15:42   #19
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Yes you should definitely not do it because nod has done it and it's something most other people do no do (except nod) and this is the reason that you should not do it unless it's something you've thought about thoroughly but it's probably just nodrog making you do it because he's one of your peers and so you should definitely not do it.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 19:48   #20
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Good luck ASG ! Gumtree is your best bet.

There's a few internships usually floating around the assembly or Cardiff council also you might want to think about applying for the Civil Service, I think their Fast Stream applications open in September and they only want a 2:2.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 20:00   #21
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
Good luck ASG ! Gumtree is your best bet.

There's a few internships usually floating around the assembly or Cardiff council also you might want to think about applying for the Civil Service, I think their Fast Stream applications open in September and they only want a 2:2.

Civil Service Fast Stream. 10,000 plus applicants. 300 places. Good luck.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 20:09   #22
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It's not that bad, they get a lot of dire applications because of the entry requirements plus it's more like 500 spots, it's easier to get into than a lot of other jobs for example investment banking. The great thing about it is that they'll consider you with a 2:2 which opens it to a lot more people who can make up for worse academics with other skills. The assessments can be quite intense though I'll give you that.
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 20:23   #23
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
It's not that bad, they get a lot of dire applications because of the entry requirements plus it's more like 500 spots, it's easier to get into than a lot of other jobs for example investment banking. The great thing about it is that they'll consider you with a 2:2 which opens it to a lot more people who can make up for worse academics with other skills. The assessments can be quite intense though I'll give you that.

Please see the PDF link for figures

In short if you're not an Economist or a Statitician you are competing for one of 219 places with 9,500 other graduates. I was also including in house applicants first time round (i forgot to weed them out from the figures i'd heard).

Not that i'm necessarily trying to be down on ASG, i'm just informing him (and you) of the stats.
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 20:39   #24
You Are Gay

ALSO if you're not from Cambridge (58/563 successful applicants) or Oxford (69/734 successful applicants) you're chances are again reduced quite significantly (92 places for 8,200ish applicants).

STATS ARE FUN!
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 21:19   #25
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

So 1 job per 89 applicants. There was an article in the London Paper recently where they carried stats on the average number of graduate applications for different industries, banking and insurance were both over 100 appications per role. FMCG had like 250 applications for job, I don’t even know what FMCG is !

I felt the Fast Stream application process was unbiased in terms of institution attended, even though in the final round there were a lot of Oxbridge people the assessors don't know which university you've attended they make their recommendation blind. That brings it all the way down to 43 applicants per job, it sounds a lot but welcome to the world of graduate recruitment.
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 11:18   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Wouldn't it be sensible to study something that actually got you a job?
Studying politics is about as useful for the average student on the job marked as polishing your knob at regular intervals.
In a lot of jobs (a depressing amount, actually) there's almost no interest shown in what your degree is in - you just need to have one. Having a Masters (in literally anything) will aid job prospects and in some cases automatically lead to more pay.

edit : Those x applicants for y jobs figures need to take into account that some people seem to apply for ten thousand schemes each.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 16:35   #27
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
In a lot of jobs (a depressing amount, actually) there's almost no interest shown in what your degree is in - you just need to have one.
Why is this depressing?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 16:39   #28
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
In a lot of jobs (a depressing amount, actually) there's almost no interest shown in what your degree is in - you just need to have one.
I think its ideal, because no matter what your degree is in, you can still go for any job that tickles your fancy.
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 16:42   #29
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Why is this depressing?

"See that thing you spent 3 or 4 years doing. We don't care about your motivations or interests in that at all."
Unread 18 Aug 2007, 13:07   #30
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

Gumtree is definitely a good option for you. You could also try http://housing.london.ac.uk as they have a database of properties which you can search through.

Other than that I would try and find out if your university has an online noticeboard. When I was at uni there were always people posting on ours searching for an extra housemate, as well as people in your situation searching for a house.

Good luck.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 11:25   #31
All Systems Go

Re: Student Accommodation

Thanks, there have been some very good suggestions here and whilst I would love to live on a houseboat by the Isle of Dogs I don't think travelling to uni will be quite as easy as it could be.

Having no desire to walk long distances or rely on public transport to make it to lectures on time (I'll be late for my funeral, honestly) I'm looking to live in New Cross or the immediate area.

Is this a nice area or will I get stabbed?
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 15:33   #32
Sardaukar
Shallow

Sardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of light

Have you ever been to new cross?!

8 Arrakiss 1:2:2 1869 26.837.330

Planetarion -> Psytrance Cmon guys its easy
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 15:39   #33
All Systems Go

Well clearly I havn't, which is why I#m asking what it's like.

But the '?!' has me worried about the conditions in New Cross.
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 19:26   #34
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

It's a bit of a dive but you could do worse ! Maybe you should pop up on a weekend and take a look around some of these areas. Singles from Cardiff are only like £6 on the weekend if you book early enough.
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 19:37   #35
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't know anything about New Cross except that it'll probably take you ages to get into central London from there (from looking at the tube map). Although the buses are probably quite good.

Which uni are you going to, and where is it based in London?
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 19:41   #36
All Systems Go

I'm going to Goldsmiths. It's in New Cross.
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 20:01   #37
Tomkat

Oh, then ignore the comment about transport taking ages!
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 21:06   #38
All Systems Go

Well I don't want to live miles out of the city, especially if it means living in a dive.
Unread 24 Aug 2007, 03:03   #39
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

New Cross is definitely a dive, although you're not that likely to be stabbed there (compared to some). There's a reasonably large student population in the area, and a fair selection of places to drink in. It's also not "miles out" from anywhere, unless you're defining London as a ten foot box in Trafalgar Square.

The train from their to London Bridge is pretty quick and the East London Line although not as useful as the central lines takes you to bunch of trendyish places in Shoreditch, etc.

Having said that, I commuted through that area for three years and have been going through it occassionally for close to a decade now and I always find it a vaguely depressing place. It's got some of the same social problems as Brixton or Peckham but without the same charm/vibe. That's just personal bias though, outside my own self-defined parish I tend to see South London for what it is.
Unread 24 Aug 2007, 09:08   #40
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

what charm has peckham got exactly?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2007, 19:10   #41
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point

New Cross is ****ing shit.

Yes, Goldsmiths is there, but if you wish to leave the area, and you will, you've got a job on your hands.

That said, it's got some alright pubs and I've never been mugged there whenever I've actually ventured to the area.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2007, 19:14   #42
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
what charm has peckham got exactly?
I'm not really sure. Perhaps it's just vaguely more culturally significant than other similar areas.
Unread 28 Sep 2007, 18:46   #43
All Systems Go

If those of you who are interested* I was offered a place at the very last moment and I am now living in student halls.

Once again, this proves that leaving things to the very last moment does work!

*ie no-one, this is really for my own benefit
Unread 29 Sep 2007, 20:42   #44
pig
1up on you

Wheres your halls?

I'm living the dream in Elephant & Castle (East Street Market to be exact...it's zone 1!)
Unread 29 Sep 2007, 22:01   #45
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm living the nightmare at home in Chelmsford
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 10:37   #46
All Systems Go

The Halls are in Brockley, about a half hour walk from my uni. This is good as it allows me to get some exercise, but not too much.

It's in Zone 2 I think and is only a hort bus ride into Lewisham Town Centre, which I was surprised to find doesn't have a record store (Woolworths and WH Smiths don't really count) so I'm going to have to find one, not having the internet or my computer or my CD collection.
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 10:39   #47
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

ASG: Are you actually studying something useful to get a job, or is this another waste of money like your last stab at higher education?

|edit| And by this post i hope you have come to your sences and found something decent

Dante:
Well, to a certain degree (no pun intended) that is true.
But if I had a application on my table and all i see if some 30 year old chap with politics studies and other useless crap in the normal world and no real world experience, I would use it as toilet paper.

Last edited by Allfather; 30 Sep 2007 at 10:45.
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 10:52   #48
All Systems Go

Wow, you really are a thoroughly unlikable human being aren't you?
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 11:42   #49
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

I have my moments yes