User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Jul 2007, 01:14   #1
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Broadband

Well, Tiscali are shit. Wondering if you lot have any suggestions as to the most reliable/good value broadband ISPs. I want to be gaming, so I don't want lag. I'd preferably like to pay under £20 per month. I live in Manchester, if that makes any difference, and I'm assuming that I should be near enough the exchange, but Tiscali keep insisting that I might not be.

Basically just trawling for anyone with bad/good experiences. Ta.
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 03:33   #2
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Broadband

I use Pipex. I get a ping of <50 on most UK servers i game on, not sure how much they charge these days because i'm still on an old package for ~£23/month - it's supposed to be a 1Mb/s connection, but it's 2Mb/s for some reason.

I've heard their customer support is rubbish, but i've never had a problem with my connection so i wouldn't know for sure.
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 09:47   #3
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

depends where you live in manc, and whether you're willing to spend another four quid http://www.bethere.co.uk
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 19:21   #4
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I'm with Be and they've been pretty good, I don't get anywhere near 24mb (4-6) but the customer-service is decent enough, and the lead-time on setup was quite short.
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 19:27   #5
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use Newnet and although they charge for connection and stuff I've never been unable to connect in 16 months.

They also show what your usage is on an hourly basis which is useful...

EDIT oh and it's a 2mb line (although they do do 8) and I pay £12 a month but that's with a 3GB of usage - then it's a fiver for every 5GB after that or something.
I was on a 20GB usage for £20 a month but I found I rarely used more than 3...

EDIT 2 www.newnet.co.uk

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 19:28   #6
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

pipex used to have excellent customer support... until they expanded, when it wernt a bit shit for some reason, im on the old £23 a month serviece as well, everyone got upgraded to 2mb/s on it and even then it isnt the greatest value, although its very rare i have any problems
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 19:51   #7
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't really say a bad word about BT.

Although I don't really know what pings and stuff are, I pay £18 a month for an 8mb line. I haven't had an iota of trouble. It is reliable, a name you can trust and not a bad price.

Go with what you know imo, not some company you have never heard of...
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 14:06   #8
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

i'm on virgin in exeter 'cause we don't want to have to pay for a telephone line (we already had a cable line for some reason), and bt at my parents house. Although we don't get the speed we're paying for in exeter (pretty much everyone in exeter is under the same provider it seems), it's still pretty good, no download limit etc.
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 14:33   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Best ISP I've been with in the past five years has undoubtedly been Nildram. On Pipex this year with no discernible issues, though as a result I've not had to contact their customer services. One of the few with a reasonable FUP. Nilly's isn't bad too, or at least last I checked it was a 50gig/mo peak-time cap, with no cap between midnight and 8am. Plenty for some CS and overnight leeching of House.
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 16:55   #10
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
i'm on virgin in exeter 'cause we don't want to have to pay for a telephone line (we already had a cable line for some reason), and bt at my parents house. Although we don't get the speed we're paying for in exeter (pretty much everyone in exeter is under the same provider it seems), it's still pretty good, no download limit etc.
Virgin have been capping their cable for a while now, something they introduced very quietly. During peak times (which they define as 4pm till midnight) if you download more than the limit for your connection (350mb on 2mbps, 750mb on 4mbps, 3gb on 10mbps), they restrict your speed to 50% for 4 hours, even if those hours go into the off-peak zone.

They still advertise "With Virgin broadband you get unlimited downloads as a basic right", and don't see any hypocrisy in having smallprint to an "acceptable usage policy" underneath it.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 14:25   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Phang said Finland sounds like a stupid place, but to actually cap the amount of download? Never heard of. I'm paying a bitchload (some 50e or something) for a "10mb", but at least there's no download caps.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 16:40   #12
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
1-x, which one is the best in terms of cost/performance that allows for a wireless connection and doesn't involve drilling holes in your house?
I use AOL broadband wireless which goes through the phoneline, if that's of any help.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2007, 16:47   #13
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I`m with Virgin Media (ex-Telewest). I pay £35 a month now. I`m suposed to be on 10 Mb/s (soon to be up graded to 20 Mb/s for free) , but it`s nowhere near that. Customer service is OK, but now virgin Media are charging quite alot to phone up their broadband support service.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2007, 09:59   #14
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I use sky which if you have sky tv and are in the right area is a pretty good deal. I pay £10 a month for unlimited with speeds upto 16Mbs (its adsl so what speed you actually get can vary dramatically depending on how far from exchange you are).

The router they supply is a bit buggy and your not technically allowed to use anything but their router but its easy to rip the details out of the router (the Skyuser forums make it easy) so you can use any router you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
Virgin have been capping their cable for a while now, something they introduced very quietly. During peak times (which they define as 4pm till midnight) if you download more than the limit for your connection (350mb on 2mbps, 750mb on 4mbps, 3gb on 10mbps), they restrict your speed to 50% for 4 hours, even if those hours go into the off-peak zone.

They still advertise "With Virgin broadband you get unlimited downloads as a basic right", and don't see any hypocrisy in having smallprint to an "acceptable usage policy" underneath it.
Your find pretty much every ISP has some kind of traffic shaping going on though, even those that advertise unlimited downloads and tbh heavy downloaders only have themselves to blame.There is really very little need for anyone downloading gigabytes of data to be doing it in peak time, its not like we are back in the dialup age where connection time costs you money so theres nothing stopping downloads to done outside peak or taking advantage of the p2p apps schedulers to throttle speeds back at peak time and speed up outside them

And if your not a frequent high bandwidth user then the odd large download isnt going to do much to effect you. Your use your allowance up, be cut to half the speed but even on the lowest package its more than quick enough to do normal web surfing and email
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2007, 13:43   #15
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pipex will soon have WiMAX in Manchester (link), which will mean no wires, no cables and roaming capability.

Later in the year/early next year, it'll be Mobile, so you can surf porn while driving your car!

Yay!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2007, 19:42   #16
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone had any dealings with Orange broadband? If so what are they like?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2007, 19:49   #17
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
I dunno, but i'm tempted by the free laptop deal they've got going on atm
Unread 19 Jul 2007, 22:54   #18
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Orange broadband are incredibly shit, that laptop had better be worth it.
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 01:47   #19
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
I'm on them ( used to be freeserve who were bought by wanadoo who rebranded to orange etc etc )
Not had any major issues with them, speed seems reasonable although im supposed to be on 8mbit but have 2 since the exchange hasnt been upgraded yet.
No traffic shaping that i can detect, although they do route all connections to smtp servers through their own ( something thats both good and bad ) on the default port.
30 gb/month usage limit though, and upload speed is a trifle slow - but you'll find that with most providers
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 02:05   #20
Thrud
Old User

Thrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to beholdThrud is a splendid one to behold

I use Zen, pretty costly but very good. Second choice would be Nildram cheaper only reason I'm not with them is that you have to pay extra for a fixed IP, never had any problems with them, we use them at work I permanently max out the 8M line with no issues (that is a business line though, so home may have caps). Nildram are related to Jolt, gaming was always very good via them, very good pings. Think you can actually sign up with them via Jolt web site.
Thrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 11:57   #21
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
No traffic shaping that i can detect, although they do route all connections to smtp servers through their own ( something thats both good and bad ) on the default port.
30 gb/month usage limit though, and upload speed is a trifle slow - but you'll find that with most providers
They do traffic shape - I read it recently.
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 12:20   #22
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

50 in ping in your own country?, UK isps must suck donkeyballs

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 11:21   #23
Maladoni
Infrequent

Maladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud of

Tesco. Don't know how good the support is as I've never had to call them in 28 months since I got it in.