User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 May 2007, 23:33   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Who Wants to Be Second Best?

As democracy* was not an issue for the next Prime Minister, all of the focus is now on the Deputy race. From this rag tag bunch of awful human beings one will gain quite a lot of power and a platform to do something.

Being very bored (and filled with hate) I shall now give my run down on those who would rape their own mother to start a rumour that they might win the race.

1) Hilary Benn

I am quite disappointed with him. Being the son of tony Benn I was hoping for more. He is pro-trident, pro-Iraq War and I'm not keen on what he had to say regarding progressive taxation.

2) Hazel Blears

What a ****ing bitch. Really sohrt as well. Keeps playing the 'I have a vagina' card. Reminds me of Reese Withespoon in Election, but without the redeeming features (i.e. being a 16 year od school girl). She knows she's done well and is smug as ****, will willinging do anything the PM asks. Literally, anything. She knows how to get ahead. I think she will win.

3) Jon Cuddas

No previous experiance. It shows but he has done respectibly. He won't win at all but it's nice to have someone to be indifferent about.

4) Peter Hain

MP for Neath, make of that what you will. He has a decent history on social issues (South Africa, something against Nazis). Aginst progressive taxation, pro-trident. Will be able to make a strong campaign as he has the history to win back a lot of the disaffected Left-wing Labour voters.

5) Harriot Harman

Nothing really to say about her. Seems rather bland. No idea what her policies are on anything. Last but one, finishing ahead of the newbie.

6) Alan Johnson

Another one who only really seems there to make up the numbers. Doesn't really impress at all and has no charisma. Not sure of his policies either.

So in summary Hazel Blears to win, with Peter Hain finishing a close second, Hilary Benn at third, Alan johnson fourth and Harriet Harman fifth, with Jon Cuddas finishing sixth thus being declared the least shit person in the race.

Personally, I would like to see them all being put in the new Big Brother house** and being voted out with the last person in there becoming the new Deputy PM. At least the people would have a say.

*or whatever you would like to call it
**tk, get ready for that thread
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2007, 00:05   #2
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who Wants to Be Second Best?

there is no progressive tax in the uk?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2007, 00:09   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh sorry, that's my mistake. they are against the very rich paying more taxes than they already do.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 30 May 2007, 00:44   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
5) Harriot Harman

Nothing really to say about her. Seems rather bland. No idea what her policies are on anything. Last but one, finishing ahead of the newbie.
She's been Solicitor-General etc for the last 6 years, has done precisely **** all while in office apart from having a vagina and being there, to use your wonderful turn of phrase. Hasn't offended anyone but doesn't seem to be running on her actual qualities as opposed to notional qualities (i.e. she's a woman and is experienced in government....yeah, thanks for that).

She's close to Brown so they'd probably work quite well together, and since she does nothing at present she may as well have the Deputy Leader's job which doesn't really do much either.

Quote:
6) Alan Johnson

Another one who only really seems there to make up the numbers. Doesn't really impress at all and has no charisma. Not sure of his policies either.
Errrr what? He's probably the one that's impressed me the most - went on the offensive against Margaret Hodge's BNP shite, is Education Secretary, etc. Rising star, in fact, from humble routes. Might be a good temper to the Establishmentised Brown.
Unread 30 May 2007, 01:10   #5
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

who wants to be second best? a lot of planetarion alliances by the looks of it.
Unread 30 May 2007, 01:52   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
there is no progressive tax in the uk?
Well, only just. The UK tax system is split - the average tax payer pays 22% (or whatever it is now) in Income Tax and 11% to National Insurance contributions. There are allowances for both which doesn't make calculations straight-forward, but because there is a ceiling on NI Contributions (after which you only pay 1%) it's not as progressive as it might seem. So I could receive a 20k raise tomorrow (unlikely, admittedly) and while I'd be paying quite a bit more tax, I'd only end up paying £500 extra NI a year or so. Since if I was earning more money I'd probably be part of a private pension scheme I'm not even sure what would happen to my NI contributions.

To look at another way, people on
£11k (crap wage) - 15% of total salary goes to deductions (ish)
£16k (still crap wage) - 20% of total
£26k (below median wage I think) - 25% of total
£40k (start of higher rate) - 28% of total
£60k - 31% of total
£100k - 35% of total
£300k - 39% of total

So as you can see, the % of total salary rises quite quickly at the lower end but the acceleration slows - 5% at the bottom is only £5k where 5% at the top is £40k or more. Of course, if you analyse household income then you get different results because if you were on 11k in the real world there's a good chance your family income would be supplemented by benefits, especially if you had children.

Obviously this is all PAYE stuff, there's probably not that many people earning over £300k who aren't either self-employed or have slightly more complex finances which allow them to (at the very least) be flexible when they pay the taxman.

That's the direct taxation bit, which is obviously the most progressive part of the tax system. Indirect taxes for a variety of reasons are probably regressive in their effect, although it depends on your lifestyle. If you drive, smoke or drink you obviously pay quite a bit.

There are other effects of the tax system like the effect on owner occupation versus private renting (overall) but as the UK's had high rates of owner occupation generally, this probably isn't as noticable as it could be. As rates of owner occupation drop it might have more of an impact.

edit : They're all shite, but Alan Johnson drove past me the other day and didn't smile, Harriet Harman didn't reply to my letter so they're immediately discounted. Peter Hain probably get's my notional support, but only just.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 30 May 2007 at 02:00.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2007, 07:54   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Well, only just. The UK tax system is split - the average tax payer pays 22% (or whatever it is now) in Income Tax and 11% to National Insurance contributions. There are allowances for both which doesn't make calculations straight-forward, but because there is a ceiling on NI Contributions (after which you only pay 1%) it's not as progressive as it might seem. So I could receive a 20k raise tomorrow (unlikely, admittedly) and while I'd be paying quite a bit more tax, I'd only end up paying £500 extra NI a year or so. Since if I was earning more money I'd probably be part of a private pension scheme I'm not even sure what would happen to my NI contributions.

To look at another way, people on
£11k (crap wage) - 15% of total salary goes to deductions (ish)
£16k (still crap wage) - 20% of total
£26k (below median wage I think) - 25% of total
£40k (start of higher rate) - 28% of total
£60k - 31% of total
£100k - 35% of total
£300k - 39% of total

So as you can see, the % of total salary rises quite quickly at the lower end but the acceleration slows - 5% at the bottom is only £5k where 5% at the top is £40k or more. Of course, if you analyse household income then you get different results because if you were on 11k in the real world there's a good chance your family income would be supplemented by benefits, especially if you had children.

Obviously this is all PAYE stuff, there's probably not that many people earning over £300k who aren't either self-employed or have slightly more complex finances which allow them to (at the very least) be flexible when they pay the taxman.

That's the direct taxation bit, which is obviously the most progressive part of the tax system. Indirect taxes for a variety of reasons are probably regressive in their effect, although it depends on your lifestyle. If you drive, smoke or drink you obviously pay quite a bit.

There are other effects of the tax system like the effect on owner occupation versus private renting (overall) but as the UK's had high rates of owner occupation generally, this probably isn't as noticable as it could be. As rates of owner occupation drop it might have more of an impact.
no offense but I find this quite useful:

http://www.pru.co.uk/home/calculator/income_tax/
Unread 30 May 2007, 08:03   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
no offense but I find this quite useful:

http://www.pru.co.uk/home/calculator/income_tax/
That gives roughly the same figures...

(although admittedly I was using 06/07's calculator elsewhere, not 07/08, but meh)
Unread 30 May 2007, 10:59   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think we've reached the point where anyone who votes Labour in the next election can genuinelly be considered either evil or ignorant beyond words, so I cant imagine what frame of mind youd have to be in to care about who the deputy was going to be.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2007, 12:46   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Never underestimate the powerful block vote of the masochists.
Unread 30 May 2007, 13:27   #11
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
She's been Solicitor-General etc for the last 6 years, has done precisely **** all while in office apart from having a vagina and being there, to use your wonderful turn of phrase.
Honestly, have you ever heard Hazel Blears talk about the deputy position? Every (and I mean every) time she does she always has to point out how appointing a woman to the position would be very progressive and that the Labour Party is the party of equality.

Last night I'm sure she managed to use the same phrase to push her case
forward whilst degrading Harriet Harman. 'I would vote for' Jon for his determination, Peter for his policies and Harriet because she's a woman.'

What a ****ing bitch.

Quote:
Errrr what? He's probably the one that's impressed me the most - went on the offensive against Margaret Hodge's BNP shite, is Education Secretary, etc. Rising star, in fact, from humble routes. Might be a good temper to the Establishmentised Brown.
Oh yes, I forgot that was him. that was pretty decent though words don't really mean anything. He seems not to read the tabloids which would make a nice change. But still, I don't know too much about him. He won't win.
Unread 30 May 2007, 18:36   #12
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Alan Johnson uses Twitter. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
He seems to have been doing so for quite a while, so someone on his team seems to be fairly on-the-ball with regards to the wonderful socially-networked future.
http://twitter.com/johnson4deputy
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 15:55   #13
Woman with Kid
Welcome to New York

Woman with Kid is on a distinguished road

I have an anti-preference. A negative preference if you will. It is that woman I am talking about, of course. You know her; a smug dwarf, possibly from a pantomime or something darker. She is a cow and a shit and I hope she is raped to death. I am entirely serious here. I don't throw these sorts of things around lightly, but I hope she is actually penetrated until she expires, preferably anally. And, yes, I shall say go so far as to say that I have a prefernce for it happening on the floor of the House of Commons. I hope she is set on, with teeth and hair and all the rubbing and stuff, and mounted by George Galloway in an act of desperate Celtic frenzy purely out of the Middle Ages.

She is what a lot of Labour women are about - an arse-licker extraorindaire, completely empty of all original ideas or even of anything resembling proper thought. But, as I have already stated, she is a shit. This is primarily her occupation. A rounded one, mainly focused on being actively bad. Her arrogance and smugness actually now seep from my television, in some fat, disgustingly lardy stream whenever she is featured, as if out of some nasty film. In the end I called the Ghostbusters and they eventually said it was nothing paranormal, they couldn't do a damn thing with it and that I would have to buy a new one, and whilst still charging me a £30 callout fee as they robbed me blind with a smile from Egon and a nod from Venkman. (Weekend rate.) But let's just set that aside for the moment.

I hope she bleeds howwibly on the inside when she dies and that nobody helps her. This is my most solemn and sacred wish, and it is all I can do each night but pray to God I shall see it come to pass in my own lifetime.
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 16:20   #14
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I think we've reached the point where anyone who votes Labour in the next election can genuinelly be considered either evil or ignorant beyond words, so I cant imagine what frame of mind youd have to be in to care about who the deputy was going to be.
I consider all people who vote in pretty much the same way. I think that people who go to vote should automatically be denied it on account of being deluded enough to think that the politicians they vote for actually stand any chance of doing what they said they would. If Cameron and his lot get in, they'll only be as bad as Labour. New face, same old shit.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 16:26   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
I consider all people who vote in pretty much the same way. I think that people who go to vote should automatically be denied it on account of being deluded enough to think that the politicians they vote for actually stand any chance of doing what they said they would. If Cameron and his lot get in, they'll only be as bad as Labour. New face, same old shit.
I'm generally very solid in the "voting doesnt mean anything, its a sham"/"every vote is also an implicit vote for the current system" camp, but I think we've reached a stage where its just silly to claim that theres no meaningful difference between Labour and anyone else (see also: the current Republican administration in the US).

Its not even a case of political ideology; theres pretty much nowhere on the political spectrum you can be where Bush/Blair havent been complete disasters for their respective countries.
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 19:05   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
but I think we've reached a stage where its just silly to claim that theres no meaningful difference between Labour and anyone else
I'd say the only place there is a meaningful difference is on civil liberties stuff like ID cards. Although the Conservatives are certainly better on that particular issue, they cannot exactly be said to have had a glowing track record. When it comes to things like proposed new stop and quiz powers the Conservatives hardly gave a principled defence of liberty. There might have been issues where the Tories have been much better but no instances come to mind. On the anti-terror over-reaction they have generally accused the government of mismanagement and bungling rather than saying their policies are morally wrong.
Quote:
Bush/Blair [...] complete disasters for their respective countries.
Most of this is down to Iraq though, which there's no real evidence that a Conservative government would have done anything much different (and they were the only realistic alternative at the time of the last election). I don't see any big gap between Labour and the Tories on any fundamental issues. The Labour Party seem worse collectively on some libertarian issues (like smoking in pubs, which I doubt the Tories would bother reversing) but the Conservatives are collectively much worse on social policy. There are random little things (like Cameron's downgrading of ecstacy proposal - which even the ****ing police support, and Osborne's proposal to develop open source stuff in government) which are a plus in the Tories column, but they wouldn't have that much of an impact (if they were even implemented, I suspect an ecstacy downgrade would herald such faggotry from the press that they'd not bother).

To take my own area a Tory government wouldn't mean that much - they might extend the right-to-buy a bit but that's about it. Since Brown's rhetoric on becoming leader was about improving people's route to home ownership. So what's the big difference?
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 20:18   #17
Nodrog

Quote:
I'd say the only place there is a meaningful difference is on civil liberties stuff like ID cards.
Well yeah, I was talking about human rights stuff ('civil liberties' is a horrible piece of newspeak and whichever publicist was responsible for getting that term into popular discourse must have been paid a fortune). I agree that the Conservative 'opposition' has been laughable and their reaction to a lot of the more ridiculous legislation has been obvious jealousy that they didnt think it up first. However like most things in politics, its about creating a situation where the government is in a position to do the least harm possible - if the Conservatives win the election then you have a Labour opposition, which I imagine would mean theres more likely to be serious opposition to the more obscene human rights breaches. It would probably even be justifiable voting LibDem to be honest despite their fundamental evilness, since theyre pretty much the only mainstream party that isnt insanely authoritarian at the moment.

Quote:
Most of this is down to Iraq though, which there's no real evidence that a Conservative government would have done anything much different
Nah, Id say that even based on their domestic stuff, theres no realistic position from which either Bush or Blair has been anything short of diasterous. The reasons why those who lean to the left tend to hate Bush are obvious, but from a conservative/libertarian standpoint hes even worse when you take into account the massive increase in government spending hes presided over which dwarfs that of most 'liberal' presidents (including a large increase in the funding of many of typically left-wing areas such as education and healthcare), and noone sane is going to be a fan of his domestic human rights breaches or the general aura of corruption which surrounds his administration. The situation is similar with Blair - its obvious why the traditional left will dislike him, and the significant amount of increase taxation that has occurred under Labour is going to alienate anyone with even slight free-market leanings . And far more importantly, stuff like the Terrorism Act and RIPA has effectively turned the UK into a police state which isnt in anyone's best interest regardless of political ideology.

It really goes beyond the traditional mundane centre-left vs centre-right conspiracy to maintain the status quo - stuff like this comes from the mind of a zealous lunatic and is terrifying to read. Theres no possible justification for voting for a party which has managed to produce and a support a leader who would make a statement like this.
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 21:19   #18
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Well yeah, I was talking about human rights stuff ('civil liberties' is a horrible piece of newspeak
this is an absurd statement
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 23:02   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
It really goes beyond the traditional mundane centre-left vs centre-right conspiracy to maintain the status quo - stuff like this comes from the mind of a zealous lunatic and is terrifying to read. Theres no possible justification for voting for a party which has managed to produce and a support a leader who would make a statement like this.
I agree with you on the last sentence, but that wouldn't push me in the direction of hoping a Conservative would improve the situation. Blair's statement is utterly ridiculous on a number of levels, but it is internally logically consistent on a certain level. I'm sure you will reject the comparison, but it's Cold War hoopla all over again. If you think the Reds/Muslims are about to destroy the world and/or enslave the west then a different type of politics becomes possible/justified.

I see no reason to assume if Cameron got in that he'd be free of this collecitve insanity and the Labour Party don't have the intellectual honesty/independence/capacity to criticise hypothetical Tory horrors from any other perspective but "We could be managing this so much more efficiently!"
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 00:33   #20
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I will vote Labour.

Coming from a family which all vote Labour it feels as though I will be betraying them somewhat.

That's just a small part of it though. With the voting system being first past the post, it effectively is a two horse race. I view the Liberal Democrats (whilst a viable alternative to Labour for me) to be a wasted vote.

Sure people will go if everyone thought like you they will never get into power. Well that's the problem. Everyone does think like me. Or at least a fair majority.

What do the conservatives offer us that Labour doesn't? The only thing that I can see happening is the conservatives getting into power shaking things up. However will it be good if they get in? I would rather a Labour government than a Conservative government, especially because what the tories did in the 80s.

Going back to Labour. They haven't done that bad a job. Take away Iraq, look at the positives (ignoring the fact they have moved into the centre etc). Northern Ireland has been a roaring sucess. I remember as I am sure many of you do the bombings the IRA used to do, the bomb warnings and in general the whole ****ed up situation in Northern Ireland. I went to NI in the mid 90s and it was a hostile place. Belfast is a changed city now (sure it has issues, but what city doesn't). The people of Northern Ireland are voting in their government and for the first time power sharing is occuring between the two parties (ie Catholics and Protestants coming together to work for one goal, although we will see if this works).

As well as that there is devolution. It has given the Scottish people (and to a certain extent the Welsh and the people of London) more of a say in how they run the country/area. It has allowed them to be more part of politics and bring it back to a local scale. I think devolution is a fantastic idea, and if the idea wasn't rejected by the North East I could see it being pushed out across the rest of the country. I am certainly jealous of the Greater London Authority, as I believe they do a good job. Love him or Loath him, Ken Livingston fights for Londons cause. The West Midlands needs someone like him, the West Midlands needs more control over its money, better integration of transport etc.

It is my belief that politics works best when people who are running it are doing so on a local level. If I was elected say to the West Midlands Authority, and thus as a collective we had more control over a budget than say Whitehall/Westminster, then we as local people are going to give a toss about how we spend it and in turn do the best we can with it. It's a tough cookie, but I believe Devolution is fantastic and allows people to work best at a local level, whilst still giving them a voice nationally.

Lets face it the current local council system can be fairly ineffective (partly down to the restrictions put in place by National Government, ring fenced grants etc) but ironically devolution gives that power back to the localities.

I know this is a bizarre point, and statistics lie, but in general more people are working, less people are unemployed and the country has been enjoying a period of boom for the last ten years. Downside is we are all knee high in debt, and how well the country is doing is down to interpretation.

If we look at Africa, whilst it is not a perfect solution, Blair did a decent job in Sierra Leone and I feel as though the British Government has been fairly proactive and shown interest.

The environment is something that is also encouraging. The UK hasn't been scared to sign agreements and it is moving in the right direction with Europe.

The main problem with the Labour government has been the USA. For me the relationship with the USA has been one which has prevented us from becoming more integrated with Europe and has led us down a bad path towards Iraq. Iraq was a mistake.

BUT. At the end of the day an evil dictator who killed thousands a year was ousted. Now I am not saying that justifies the killing of Iraqis etc to get to that point, but there is a slight silver lining. Not only that some say the Iraq war has been a disaster, I say the price of petrol has gone down. You do the math.

In general I have been pleased to vote for Labour in 2005 and I will vote for them again in 3 years time.

Like T&F says, this whole idea it is undemocratic is bizarre. The Labour MPs were elected. They chose their Leader. First Tony Blair, now Gordon Brown. Also he is right, how many of us choose our boss. We voted in the MPs they are representatives of us.

I believe under Labour we will see a few more decent years.

For the future what I would like to see is more of a challenge by the Lib Dems to the point that they can challenge to become the second party. But ultimately I believe the voting system should change. At the moment it doesn't allow true democracy. We should perhaps have a system like Proportional Representation or another system. Many a review has said that we need to change our electoral system, but of course I doubt it will happen as the government who are elected on the old one are hardly going to hinder their chances of reelection by bringing in a new form of elections.

In the future it would be brilliant if there were more than three parties (I still believe there is only two at the moment, with the Lib Dems being weak) and a vote will really represent the general public. This in turn will hopefully allow more people to vote, as they will feel their vote counts. It would be great in my opinion to have coalitions of say the Green Party, Labour Party etc.

You probably haven't read all of the above, if you have well done. I know there are a lot of flaws in what I have written but it is how I feel on the current state of British Politics.
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 15:14   #21
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I guess this is a problem with GD.

When someone writes something long, people don't take the time to read it or form a reply. Then what could potentially run into a decent thread with argument and debate dies on its arse.

Of course you could place the blame on the person who writes the long post that discourages people from replying.
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 20:05   #22
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I will vote Labour.

Coming from a family which all vote Labour it feels as though I will be betraying them somewhat.

That's just a small part of it though. With the voting system being first past the post, it effectively is a two horse race. I view the Liberal Democrats (whilst a viable alternative to Labour for me) to be a wasted vote.

Sure people will go if everyone thought like you they will never get into power. Well that's the problem. Everyone does think like me. Or at least a fair majority.

What do the conservatives offer us that Labour doesn't? The only thing that I can see happening is the conservatives getting into power shaking things up. However will it be good if they get in? I would rather a Labour government than a Conservative government, especially because what the tories did in the 80s.

Going back to Labour. They haven't done that bad a job.

In general I have been pleased to vote for Labour in 2005 and I will vote for them again in 3 years time.

I believe under Labour we will see a few more decent years.
o rly?
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 22:32   #23
pig
1up on you

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is?

I disagree with that, as I am sure many others do. I also can't see the 90 day rule getting through the Lords and the Commons. With 28 days we already have the longest detention in the west, so I doubt 90 days will come into place.

Personally I think its a terrible idea, but the average joe may think along the lines of "I'm not a terrorist, it doesn't affect me." etc. Also he is putting in place safeguards. If you read this, it gives you the gist of them. Such as Judicial review every 7 days.

Obviously this is a terrible idea.

But my main point still stands. Please try and ignore the fact that Labour is slightly anal about Iraq and Terrorism, I guess you get that way after your allies were attacked and you were attacked.

But instead look at what Labour has done, and will continue to do. Terrorism, Foreign Policy etc aside, Labour in my opinion will do a better job than the Tories. Don't forget what happened under the Tories, it's easy to do. But certainly not a good idea.

Not sure why there is so much anti Labour blood around here and such a "I Vote Green, I Vote Blue" and a "I vote a party that won't ever get into power" mentality.
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 23:53   #24
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
But instead look at what Labour has done, and will continue to do. Terrorism, Foreign Policy etc aside, Labour in my opinion will do a better job than the Tories. Don't forget what happened under the Tories, it's easy to do. But certainly not a good idea.
Errrr ...

Like what?
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 00:05   #25
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Never underestimate the powerful block vote of the masochists.

i think a more accurate assertion would be never to underestimate the block vote of the former mining communities...
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 11:20   #26
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I'm not sure what your point is?

I disagree with that, as I am sure many others do. I also can't see the 90 day rule getting through the Lords and the Commons. With 28 days we already have the longest detention in the west, so I doubt 90 days will come into place.

Personally I think its a terrible idea, but the average joe may think along the lines of "I'm not a terrorist, it doesn't affect me." etc. Also he is putting in place safeguards. If you read this, it gives you the gist of them. Such as Judicial review every 7 days.

these safeguards have not appeased me, no would I expect them to. this is just another in a very llong line of repressive (oppressive?) mesurements passed by this government. Whether of not the tories would have been less shit is debatale, but it's probably just a matter of degrees.

Quote:
But my main point still stands. Please try and ignore the fact that Labour is slightly anal about Iraq and Terrorism, I guess you get that way after your allies were attacked and you were attacked.
Slightly anal? Slighty? these are elected officials, supposedly professionals who have vast powers over the rights of the entire country. It cannot just be dismissed as the PM throwing a tantrum. this isn't like the West was minding it's own business and then got attacked for no reason. the US and the UK have a prologed and bloody history of interference in the Middle East, always with the aim of strengthening their own position.

Quote:
these are massive issues which will (no, I'm not exagerating) damage the freedoms of people in the UK for generations to come and will continue to kill thousands of people in the Middle East for just as long, whilst not actually making anyone safer.

Labour have made a sharp move to the right and the policies which they discuss are pretty much the same, many of which seem to be pushing for privitisation.

You also have to keep in mind that New Labour would not exist without thatcher and the partial adoption by New Labour of that ideology. Most of what thatcher did was not reversed under this government, not even the anti-union measures. there has been a methodical effort made to isolate the left-wing of the party, and to a rather large extent it has worked. this is the same issue Cameron is currently facing with the Conservative right-wing. the Age of Extreme Politics is over and all we are left with is a great steaming pile of mediocrity.

Quote:
Not sure why there is so much anti Labour blood around here and such a "I Vote Green, I Vote Blue" and a "I vote a party that won't ever get into power" mentality.
Parties rise and parties fall. Parties have to be built from the ground up. It's challenging for council seats and working your way up, maybe getting some MPs, then you have some momentum.

Personally, I don't see why it's any worse than 'I vote for a shit Party which has betrayed it's original intent, supressed human rights and adopted thatcherite policies, because my family does.'

I have only voted once (and that was a debacle) and I doubt I will ever vote again, unless we are faced with a particularly shit candidate. Even saying that, I am in the Valleys which is a Labour strong-hold so it doesn't really matter.

the entire system is a shambles, both politically and economically and I'm not sure you can have proper reform of the one without the other. Other countries have proportional repesentation and they are hardly bastions of equality and fe dom so it's not really going to make any difference.

Parties will move to the centre to get votes and seats, others will stay ideologically true and recieve neither. this will cotinue the status quo until there is some kind of economic collapse and people start voting for whichever nutjob can shout the loudest about immigrants/Muslims/Jews etc and gain some votes.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 11:53   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Some of us aren't happy with the lesser of two evils.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 12:04   #28
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I always think it would be nice if in discussions about the Labour party the achievements were played up a little more, such as to avoid unneccessary voting for the Tories. I hate to resort to stereotype here, but it's entirely thanks to the Blair government that Britain has probably the most relaxed and progressive gay rights legislation anywhere in the world, whereas it's entirely thanks to the Tories that Section 28 existed or that equalisation of consent took as long as it did. I'm not happy with Labour's suddent shunt to the right nor their increasingly anti-liberty stance, but it's not pattern behaviour.

I vote Green, by the way.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 19:59   #29
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Some of us aren't happy with the lesser of two evils.
I am with you in this camp.

But it's the British Political system (first past the post, that isn't for you Dante, for others reading this) that means that we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Until the voting system is changed it will be the way for a long time. The only way the 3rd party lib dems can force its way into the big two is by becoming like Labour and Conservative.

Even now I doubt the lib dems actually offer a decent alternative.

To All Systems Go. I am aware it damages our liberties and freedoms etc hence this little snippet:

Quote:
As this forum seems to be fairly leftist, I am surprised that people appear to be triumphing the tories simply because. History is not there to just be put down in books and read at school. If History has taught me one thing, the tories are in no way a better alternative than Labour. In my eyes, the tories are basically New Labour just slightly more to the right. Now if that isn't worrying I don't know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
I always think it would be nice if in discussions about the Labour party the achievements were played up a little more, such as to avoid unneccessary voting for the Tories. I hate to resort to stereotype here, but it's entirely thanks to the Blair government that Britain has probably the most relaxed and progressive gay rights legislation anywhere in the world, whereas it's entirely thanks to the Tories that Section 28 existed or that equalisation of consent took as long as it did. I'm not happy with Labour's suddent shunt to the right nor their increasingly anti-liberty stance, but it's not pattern behaviour.
I completly agree. It is far to easy to slag something/someone off without looking at the good sides. This has been my point in my past few posts. Of course Labour has screwed up, but what government hasn't? There are also advantages with them being in power, yet people let these slip to the back of their mind.

Tomkat was saying in #forums a few days ago that you shouldn't really trust sites reviewing bars/clubs as people who have had a good time aren't exactly going to take a moment out of there life to tell the internet they had a good time. They will simply go back and have another good time.

Conversely if you had a bad time in a Club, say the bouncers kicked you out. You are more likely to kick and scream and tell the whole world what a shit club it is, the bouncers are heavy handed and the sound system is shit. Simply because you are bitter.

Oh Phang, you are completely right on the gay rights, it is fantastic that we are so relaxed in this country towards gay rights. I am fairly positive you wouldn't see a tory government being that liberal.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 20:35   #30
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I would rather a Labour government than a Conservative government, especially because what the tories did in the 80s.

What the tories did? Free market reform? The type of reform that leaves the country better able to respond to Globalisation (unlike the countries of Italy and Germany who are quite ****ed at the moment) leading to better standard of living for those in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I know this is a bizarre point, and statistics lie, but in general more people are working, less people are unemployed and the country has been enjoying a period of boom for the last ten years. Downside is we are all knee high in debt, and how well the country is doing is down to interpretation.

Wait a second i'm pretty sure this is the result of the work the tories did in the 80's that you just lambasted them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Going back to Labour. They haven't done that bad a job. Take away Iraq, look at the positives (ignoring the fact they have moved into the centre etc). Northern Ireland has been a roaring sucess. I remember as I am sure many of you do the bombings the IRA used to do, the bomb warnings and in general the whole ****ed up situation in Northern Ireland. I went to NI in the mid 90s and it was a hostile place. Belfast is a changed city now (sure it has issues, but what city doesn't). The people of Northern Ireland are voting in their government and for the first time power sharing is occuring between the two parties (ie Catholics and Protestants coming together to work for one goal, although we will see if this works).

You're correct, Northern Ireland was all down to Labour! Alternatively it took some brave work by the tories to open discussion (some background info for you).

In short Pig please stop being so ****ing ignorant.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 20:54   #31
Nodrog

Quote:
The gay rights issues you discussed are incredibly minor compared to pretty much turning Britain into a police state. Yeah, sexual equality is a good thing but single-issue voting is stupid especialy when the issues involved are so petty.

Hey guys labour are rumoured to be supporting 24 hour drinking laws so theyve got my vote!
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:02   #32
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Gay
In short Pig please stop being so ****ing ignorant.
Forgive me. Members of my family lost jobs in the 80s and found it hard to get work again. My family are still a little bit bitter. Ya know. Being on the bread line and all.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:11   #33
All Systems Go

that's exactly what voters need, more emotional responses and less rational thought!
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:20   #34
pig
1up on you

What voters need is more choice.

They probably also need a more responsive democracy in terms of votes cast and seats given.

Until then emotional responses will tend to overide rational thought when the two major parties are so similar to each other and not really representing a stance. Both being essentially middle ground albeit to the right or left of that middle ground.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:24   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
But it's the British Political system (first past the post, that isn't for you Dante, for others reading this) that means that we have to choose the lesser of two evils.
No. You don't have to accept the lesser of two evils. I understand what you are saying, but you do not have to just accept it. If the choice available is being kicked in the chest or the head then meekly accepting one or the other is not an attractive choice. Better to say "**** you." Even if it results in the worst option for you I'd prefer that then go through life knowing you cheerfully endorsed someone who promised to hurt you.
Quote:
As this forum seems to be fairly leftist
Hmmmm....not sure about this. It's been a while since we did that stupid Political Compass thing, but I'd say the majority of the regular politics posters are not particularly left-wing, especially if you're defining that as any association with labourite politics.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:38   #36
pig
1up on you

Quote:
No. You don't have to accept the lesser of two evils. I understand what you are saying, but you do not have to just accept it. If the choice available is being kicked in the chest or the head then meekly accepting one or the other is not an attractive choice. Better to say "**** you." Even if it results in the worst option for you I'd prefer that then go through life knowing you cheerfully endorsed someone who promised to hurt you.
I see where you are coming from. But I want my vote to count.

We could argue that if turnout was low and people say voted with their feet, i.e. not turn up then a political party would emerge that would engage the masses and challenge the big two. In effect people believe the Liberal Democrats will do this. Yet when Labour and Conservative were weak, the Liberal Democrats hardly made a dent in the overall percentage of seats in the commons.

Liberal Democrats are the third way (not anthony giddons third way, I mean offering another choice.) But unforunately they don't seem to have the vision or leadership to offer this path.

Even if they did offer it, which some people believe they do (I think Yahwe triumphs the Liberals) they stand little chance of making a signifcant impact. Which is why if I had to choose between getting shot or getting stabbed. Well **** me both would hurt, but stab me any day.

I see it like this. If I don't vote, or rather if I voted for say the Liberals (or the Green party, the party I would like to vote for) and then the Conservatives got in. By me not voting for Labour I have just put myself in a worse position for making some kind of ideological gesture that no one other than myself can see.

Instead I would prefer to ensure that primarilly I protect my immediate interests. It's a weird flip side. I am very much in belief that every vote counts. Yet I am unwiling for a number of reasons to vote for another party, for the fear that the Tories will come into power.

Quote:
Hmmmm....not sure about this. It's been a while since we did that stupid Political Compass thing, but I'd say the majority of the regular politics posters are not particularly left-wing, especially if you're defining that as any association with labourite politics.
I'm not defining the left with Labour, because the left no longer sits with Labour. But many of Labours supporters are still left in their orientation.

I always thought this forum to be somewhat liberal and leftist. But I am probably in agreement with you when you say that posters on GD now aren't particularly left wing.

It probably has something to do with not actually experiencing any real hardship or issues to motivate you to go to the left (I don't think that made sense, but I hope you understand) and also moving from being students to becoming a worker , albeit well paid graduate workers who don't like to see their money pissed up the wall because of high taxes and a war.

It is my belief taxes are to low though so I shall be quiet.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:51   #37
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
It is my belief taxes are to low though so I shall be quiet.

I don't have time to discuss the rest of your points but i'll make an exception for your above point.

YOU'RE A ****ING IDIOT!

Too low? Do you have any idea what tax burden we're under at the moment.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TRY AND ENLIGHTEN YOURSELF!
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:53   #38
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The gay rights issues you discussed are incredibly minor compared to pretty much turning Britain into a police state. Yeah, sexual equality is a good thing but single-issue voting is stupid especialy when the issues involved are so petty.

Hey guys labour are rumoured to be supporting 24 hour drinking laws so theyve got my vote!
it was an example, actually. I could also cite the introduction of, and continual above-inflation rises in the minimum wage, or the vast ensemble of tax credits, or how money has actually been spent on regenerating poor areas outside of London for once, but I picked the starkest example for me. If I was the age I am now in the year I was born, I would not be permitted to have sex, I would have no right to job protection, my choice of partners would be mandatorily condemned by schools and local government, and if I was beaten up in the street my attackers would get a reduced sentence. I could be barred from shops, bars and hotels without cause, my partner would have no hospital visiting rights, I would not be allowed to get married or adopt a child. Frankly, in my shoes that's nowhere ****ing near petty, and **** you for even considering it to be so.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées

Last edited by Phang; 4 Jun 2007 at 21:58. Reason: typo
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:54   #39
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Troll
I don't have time to discuss the rest of your points but i'll make an exception for your above point.

YOU'RE A ****ING IDIOT!

Too low? Do you have any idea what tax burden we're under at the moment.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TRY AND ENLIGHTEN YOURSELF!
Well the NHS and Education need more funding in my opinion. Where is that going to come from? Thin air? People earning over £100,000 should certainly be taxed more. I have read some of the works of Voltaire and Montesquieu they helped me on the road of understanding the enlightenment.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 22:06   #40
You Are Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Well the NHS and Education need more funding in my opinion. Where is that going to come from? Thin air? People earning over £100,000 should certainly be taxed more. I have read some of the works of Voltaire and Montesquieu they helped me on the road of understanding the enlightenment.

Point 1 - The NHS is getting BILLIONS wasted on it (see £11 billion for a wasted IT project that still isn't up and running long after it was supposed to).

Point 2 - I wasn't talking about the tax burden of those exceptional folk who earn over £100k. I was talking about "Ordinary Joes". Do you know what your tax burden is? Say you're earning £30k a year you're paying AT LEAST 60% of your earnings in tax (at an absolute minimum). I think it's more (i.e. 70%) but i dont have figures to hand.

Point 3 - More funding? Say no to trident.

I cant be arsed arguing about how Labour have ****ed up on Education.
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 22:29   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Do you have any idea what tax burden we're under at the moment.
Are tax burden figures meaningful though? Whichever way you're looking at it (personal deductions from your pay or as % of GDP taken up by government spending) I'm not really sure any sensible observations can be made. If I look at my payslip and fantasise about what I'd do with the extra 25% (or whatever) if there was no taxes but the economy would be so radically different that I almost certainly wouldn't be in the same type of employment I am in anyway. Even if I was, then I'd have to make some kind of social contribution to roads, I might have to have health insurance of some description, etc, etc.
Quote:
Say you're earning £30k a year you're paying AT LEAST 60% of your earnings in tax (at an absolute minimum). I think it's more (i.e. 70%) but i dont have figures to hand.
I don't think this is accurate, depending on what you're talking about. Someone on £30k will pay about £8k in tax/NI, or about 26% of their earnings. If we say that they spend their remaining £22k on normal VAT rated goods that'd be another £5k in tax. So that'd bring them up to 43% of their pay. Maybe if they spent most of their money on cigarettes and fuel it might hit that rate (cigarettes are about 60% tax, I think).

Of course, you can start factoring in the cost of the food they eat and what % of that is the tax on the fuel that it required to transport, but that's a bit dodgy.
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 07:27   #42
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
If I was the age I am now in the year I was born, I would not be permitted to have sex, I would have no right to job protection, my choice of partners would be mandatorily condemned by schools and local government, and if I was beaten up in the street my attackers would get a reduced sentence. I could be barred from shops, bars and hotels without cause, my partner would have no hospital visiting rights, I would not be allowed to get married or adopt a child.
good god you can tell that you aren't a lawyer ...
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 10:43   #43
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
But it's the British Political system (first past the post, that isn't for you Dante, for others reading this) that means that we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Until the voting system is changed it will be the way for a long time.
What are the possible alternatives for the UK? Yes FPP is fairly unrepresentative, but you might find that the same centrist forces will dictate the political process even under a system like MMP (Mixed Member Proportional).

I'll say this though, it does offer more potential for different political viewpoints and representation. I suppose that can't be a bad thing. The Dutch managed to elect two members of the Party for the Animals into their Parliament. There is a limit to how far I would advocate for political representation, and when you find your country is starting to elect single issue interest groups to Parliament, I'd start to worry a bit.
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 11:10   #44
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Say you're earning £30k a year you're paying AT LEAST 60% of your earnings in tax (at an absolute minimum). I think it's more (i.e. 70%) but i dont have figures to hand.
Are you retarded?
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 11:39   #45
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Are you retarded?
Its impossible to calculate how much of your income is taxed indirectly, but 60% doesnt sound that unreasonable. Taxation as a %ge of GDP is 46%, but that doesnt include the myriad of subtle forms of taxation we have including things like inflation, the minimum wage, and expensive state trains/tube systems. Then you have the indirect role that government policy plays in driving up prices in areas it subsidises. 60% may be slightly too high, but probably not by much.

It really depends how you want to slice things up though, and theres probably no objective way of doing it or calculating the monetary effects that policies have. Should the criminalisation of marijuana be counted as an indirect subsidy of the alcohol industry for instance? How much does that cost the average person each year?

Last edited by Nodrog; 5 Jun 2007 at 11:53.
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 12:46   #46
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Its impossible to calculate how much of your income is taxed indirectly, but 60% doesnt sound that unreasonable. Taxation as a %ge of GDP is 46%, but that doesnt include the myriad of subtle forms of taxation we have including things like inflation, the minimum wage, and expensive state trains/tube systems. Then you have the indirect role that government policy plays in driving up prices in areas it subsidises. 60% may be slightly too high, but probably not by much.
Unless I remember completely wrong, Belgium peaked the tables with 65% total tax, and most European Union countries float fairly above 50%. In addition to "subtle" taxes, some income are taxed twice (ie. first you earn the wage, pay taxes, use it to buy goods, pay value added taxes), depending on the tax regime used. I'm not sure how political suicide opposing progressional taxation in the UK would be, but at least in Finland (taking to account we're "notorious" for our very progressive income tax; VATs and such are then partially defined by the union) it'd definately be so. The tax regime we use is already almost regressional at large, and the main progressive bit of it is the income tax. Now that they're about to remove some taxes related to private ownership, and heritages, the regressive scheme will excarberate even futher.

Remember, next time you go grocery shopping, that the VAT you pay for your food is very regressive at large. (And in a VAT system in general, the store will push the taxes on you, making you pay double tax for the same "income" whereas you're basically paying large transaction costs for first exchanging your work to money and then exchanging your money to consumerables).

Quote:
It really depends how you want to slice things up though, and theres probably no objective way of doing it or calculating the monetary effects that policies have.
I'm not quite sure how the ECB standards are defined, but I'd guess they're using some fairly global system. SNA or whatever they use will probably include some form of total tax calculations per GDP. A direct way of calculating it is just adding up the taxes a government receives. Rather simple and gives solid results. Defining externalities as taxes (the effect of criminalization of marihuana on the demand of alcohol thus relating to alcohol taxation perhaps) are impossible to calculate at any reasonable level, also it's worth to notice that a lot of worthy "work" (the infamous grey sector, including the black market employees, household work, and so on) goes unnoticed for applicable reasons. Nevertheless, for a Western country, 60% isn't exaggerating (according to commonly accepted schemes of calculating the taxes).

Being an ignorant moron I'm struggling to avoid a moan on the median voter system, so I'll first ask someone to briefly explain or link me to something that describes how this election of yours works.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 12:46   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Its impossible to calculate how much of your income is taxed indirectly, but 60% doesnt sound that unreasonable. Taxation as a %ge of GDP is 46%
Where are you getting 46% from? The figures I've seen for taxation as share of UK GDP is closer to 41-43%. The treasury figures forecast government revenue at something like £516bn. GDP would have to be lower than the value for 3-4 years ago for that to represent 46%.

But looking at national figures isn't terribly meaningful when talking about an individual person who earns £30k anyway. It's not as likely to be as high for someone on £30k than someone on £100k, and the 41-46% range includes things like taxes on North Sea Oil, surpluses from public corporations, etc.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 5 Jun 2007 at 16:27.
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 13:17   #48
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Remember, next time you go grocery shopping, that the VAT you pay for your food is very regressive at large. (And in a VAT system in general, the store will push the taxes on you, making you pay double tax for the same "income" whereas you're basically paying large transaction costs for first exchanging your work to money and then exchanging your money to consumerables).
I was under the impression that most foodstuffs were VAT-exempt, at least in the UK.
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 13:18   #49
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Roger that.

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/8/4/37504406.pdf

Oddly enough, OECD shows rather low figures. Some ECB statistics will show higher, and the Statistics Finland will at least give higher numbers (on Finland's case). I guess it'll give some hint, though.

edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I was under the impression that most foodstuffs were VAT-exempt, at least in the UK.
No idea. I think EU only allows a limited number of tax categories, which somewhat reduce the variability you can have on taxing. I'd be brave enough to claim at least a majority of what you'd buy from the local grocery store (I'm not sure how it works in the UK) would automatically include a tax (it'll probably read in the receipt). Even if groceries were extempt, you'll still have the vast majority of other consumer products and services.

edit.

Makes me tempted to find statistics on consumption. Argh. Yes, it seems in UK "most groceries" are exempt. In Finland, there's a 17% VAT on majority of them. Quite a bit of a difference between the two, then. UK seems to be the exception here, though, most other EU countries (Belgium, Germany, France, Netherlands, so on) do have VATs for groceries too.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 5 Jun 2007 at 13:26.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 13:30   #50
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:

It really depends how you want to slice things up though, and theres probably no objective way of doing it or calculating the monetary effects that policies have. Should the criminalisation of marijuana be counted as an indirect subsidy of the alcohol industry for instance? How much does that cost the average person each year?
I believe that when the minimum wage was introduced, around 5% of UK workers would actually have be affected by its introduction (that is to say that they did not already earn more than the minimum wage level of £3/3.60). That 5% doesn't include people who weren't entitled to the minimum wage anyway. In addition, it seems reasonable to suggest that those 5% of people were responsible for less than 5% of total GDP at the time, though that's speculative on my part. As such its effect on a person's everyday life in terms of increased prices is probably minimal.

I think calling inflation a form of tax is a bit of a push. Wages tend to minimally rise with inflation, especially if we're considering this ficticious £30k a year person who is more likely to be eligible for bonuses, more likely to own his own home and the like. This almost factors-out the transport-system question as well, although obviously the cost of running a car is probably pretty inefficient in duty/tax terms.

I agree entirely though that there are a never-ending multitude of minor costs that will add-up, but this 70% number that was pulled from the air seems excessive without some kind of plausible explanation.