User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Feb 2007, 16:56   #1
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Mitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to behold
Quiting smoking

Having realised that I can't go on smoking ( or rather shouldn't ) I paid a visit to the doctors Smoking Cessation clinic today. I was expecting an onslaught of 'Smoking is bad. Mkay?'. In fact I met a very nice chap who gave me the low down on my options and how to beat the cravings. Better still this guy had quit himself so he knew what was what from first hand experience.

So I'm now armed with a months supply of patches and an iron will to dump the evil weed.

Have any of you guys quit recently? I feel I may need some words of support.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 16:59   #2
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Quiting smoking

I quit killing prostitutes a few months back. It was difficult to resist, but they's already found someone to blame so I thought I should quit while I was ahead.

In the area of smoking I'm afraid I cannot help you. I've always practiced a 'prevention is better than cure' mentality towards cigerettes as I've never seen what is so attractive about them.

But good luck anyway!
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:02   #3
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

tell me that goes. i am 24 and been trying to quit for the better part of last 6 years ;/ i need some inspiration. ALL of my friends who try quitting end up buckling under pressure and not going though with it.

Deep from the heart tho, i wish you would quit. It does take much more then just determination at some point of your life that u WANT to quit. ;( I hear first 4 weeks are the worst. then its easier so dont look back on that 1 miserable month of your life and keep going forward. and i sure hope you will be one of those select few who have enough strength in them to quit
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:04   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Remember kids, addiction is stronger than love. Even self love.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:35   #5
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I quit killing prostitutes a few months back. It was difficult to resist, but they's already found someone to blame so I thought I should quit while I was ahead.
Thought you were too lazy to go about being a mass murder/serial killer.
Quote:
In the area of smoking I'm afraid I cannot help you. I've always practiced a 'prevention is better than cure' mentality towards cigerettes as I've never seen what is so attractive about them.
Same here, I never saw the 'coolness' that people think smoking will bring them, I only always saw it as a disgusting habit that I never wanted to partake of.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:38   #6
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
Thought you were too lazy to go about being a mass murder/serial killer.
that was more of a hobby rather some kind of specific strategy to wipe out a particular group of individuals. Work doesn't feel like work when you're having fun.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:44   #7
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Work doesn't feel like work when you're having fun.
Was it hard work?
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:47   #8
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
Was it hard work?
By the end I was as stiff as a corpse.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:54   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitc
how to beat the cravings.
"Cravings" ?
Is that what they call having a weak will nowadays?
Bloody political correctness is everywhere isn't it?
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 18:07   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I gave up at New Year and whilst I've admittedly had a couple of slip-ups once the first couple of weeks are out of the way it's all pretty smooth sailing. No patches or anything, and I didn't used to associate drinnk with a desire to smoke so going out isnt' really an issue. Still, I certainly miss the 'after work, sat on the step with a cuppa' fag that was my favourite.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 19:34   #11
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I miss my morning cigarette.

But yeah, after the first 2-3 weeks, you should be alright. If you really want to quit that is. I have a feeling that those who "quit" smoking often (Like I do) are those who don't really want to quit, they just don't have the motivation. If you do, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 19:51   #12
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Once when I was younger I had to have a coke* each day. But I realised it was rather shit to feel the need to have atleast half a litre each day, so I stopped drinking that much.

coke* and coffe is the strongest stuff I ever tried**.

Good luck!

*coke as in coca cola ofc.
** expect for some drinking one evning in belgium.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 19:55   #13
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I'm in my third serious try to quit smoking, didn't smoke for 6 weeks now. Actually it's not really hard, just tell yourself you're stronger then this unrational addiction. The difficult part to me is on the long run, the moment I'm not thinking about smoking at all anymore I need to take care because I start to believe I can take that single cigarette while drinking at a party because you know you're already cured or something like that ( ). The day after I buy my pack of cigarettes, happend two times before after a period of no smoking of respectively 6 and 9 months.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 19:56   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Once when I was younger I had to have a coke* each day. But I realised it was rather shit to feel the need to have atleast half a litre each day, so I stopped drinking that much.
I had that as well when I was around 16/17. I was drinking 1,5/2 litres a day easily. But only coca cola ofcourse
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 20:07   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah, me too. I used to drink absolutely nothing but Soft drinks, found i was ****ing wired all the time. It doesnt help that most diluting juice tastes like ****ing ass and you need to put so much water through your system.

I now exclusively drink Ocean Spray Cranberry and Raspberry squash, its about £1.80 a bottle but economically it works out cheaper than buying the cartons at 90p a pop.

As to smoking, im glad i quit, but sometimes i do miss some things about it. It was a great way to meet girls, for example.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 21:10   #16
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitc
Having realised that I can't go on smoking ( or rather shouldn't ) I paid a visit to the doctors Smoking Cessation clinic today. I was expecting an onslaught of 'Smoking is bad. Mkay?'. In fact I met a very nice chap who gave me the low down on my options and how to beat the cravings. Better still this guy had quit himself so he knew what was what from first hand experience.

So I'm now armed with a months supply of patches and an iron will to dump the evil weed.

Have any of you guys quit recently? I feel I may need some words of support.
The problem with cigarettes is that once a smoker always a smoker. I know people who've quit for 15 years and then suddenly started smoking 10 a day again. I also know people who quit 10 years ago but still get the ocassional craving. I myself once stopped smoking for a year and then for no particularly good reason started smoking again. So what I'm saying is you'll always have the desire to smoke. It might not be every day and it might be when you least expect it, but it will appear, tempting you back to that hot, sweet embrace of the beautiful cigarette...

I'm currently trying to quit again myself, haven't had a cigarette in just over 4 weeks. To be honest I miss it more now than I did 3 weeks ago. Never mind ey, at least I might get to live longer. That'll be a great consolation when I'm lying in an old people's home pissing through a cathater.

So to sum up, good luck with quitting
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 21:16   #17
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Mitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to beholdMitc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
The problem with cigarettes is that once a smoker always a smoker. I know people who've quit for 15 years and then suddenly started smoking 10 a day again. I also know people who quit 10 years ago but still get the ocassional craving. I myself once stopped smoking for a year and then for no particularly good reason started smoking again. So what I'm saying is you'll always have the desire to smoke. It might not be every day and it might be when you least expect it, but it will appear, tempting you back to that hot, sweet embrace of the beautiful cigarette...

I'm currently trying to quit again myself, haven't had a cigarette in just over 4 weeks. To be honest I miss it more now than I did 3 weeks ago. Never mind ey, at least I might get to live longer. That'll be a great consolation when I'm lying in an old people's home pissing through a cathater.

So to sum up, good luck with quitting
I gave up for five years and started again two years ago. When I quit first time it was easy. Trying cold turkey this time resulted in a damaged laptop and a bruised hand. Hence the patches.

08:00 hours on Friday 9th Feb will be the moment my patch goes on. Until then I've got a pack to smoke ..... Mmmmmm burning poison leaves .....
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 19:03   #18
Keger
My God!!! The Horror!!!

Keger has a spectacular aura aboutKeger has a spectacular aura aboutKeger has a spectacular aura about

I have been trying to quit smoking for a very long time...

I tryed the patch...i ended up smoking while wearing it making me smoke more...

I tryed Zyban... It gave me the strangest mood swings, I spilt water on the floor and seriously almost started to cry!!!

I even tryed chewing tobacco figuring it is nasty and I would quit that easily... nope it again caused me to smoke more...

I had been smoking for 15 years, I hated being a slave to the cigarette so finally i just said no more...no more will i be a slave to it, i had to give myself the perspective to look at those who needed a smoke as being pitiful and a slave to the evil cig! It was a power structure and I quit cold turkey and never had a slip up.... try it really works!!!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 21:34   #19
Maladoni
Infrequent

Maladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
I've always practiced a 'prevention is better than cure' mentality towards cigerettes as I've never seen what is so attractive about them.
It's a chemical addition. In much the same way my brain tells me to drink wine when thirsty, it tells me to smoke when;

stressed at work.
when I have a drink in my hand.
straight after a nice meal, or a rubbish one.
when I don’t have a drink in my hand.
before, during and after sexual intercourse.
the second I wake.
on the motorway.
after my mornings initial bowel movements.
lying round the pool with the sun of my face.
when I’m at my mothers.
watching the Newcastle defense.
recalling Borstal.

Basically any scenario that involves being remotely conscious, the will of your ejit brain never stops imposing upon you..

I don’t think unless you have ever smoked you’ll understand ASG which means you are in a better place.

Good luck MITC.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 22:52   #20
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I'm in my third serious try to quit smoking, didn't smoke for 6 weeks now. Actually it's not really hard, just tell yourself you're stronger then this unrational addiction. The difficult part to me is on the long run, the moment I'm not thinking about smoking at all anymore I need to take care because I start to believe I can take that single cigarette while drinking at a party because you know you're already cured or something like that ( ). The day after I buy my pack of cigarettes, happend two times before after a period of no smoking of respectively 6 and 9 months.

Still not smoking!
Unread 21 Feb 2007, 00:44   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't want to preach.

Spending any decent length of time in the chemo wards at a hospital really is enough to put anyone off the idea of smoking for life. I never smoked anyway, but that really was the ultimate deterrent.

The chemo wards had lymphoma and lung cancer patients in on the same day (Friday). I felt rough enough on mine - I was only hooked up for an hour and then felt hungover/sick (when I say hungover - imagine not being able to move from a lying position for 24 hours without HAVING to vomit for 5 minutes straight) for a day. There's no way you can put that kind of feeling into words.

The people receiving chemo for lung cancer brought about by smoking were hooked up for half a day - 4-5 hours. They would often vomit spontaneously whilst receiving the chemicals through the IV. Add to this the coughing, looking ill, needing a cigarette and the cramped conditions in the ward and you have an idea of how shit these people must feel.

When people start to get anticipatory-nausea though, that really is an indication of how utterly shit chemo is. The clue is in the name. People vomitting, sweating and feeling faint just from the IDEA of the chemotherapy - this is before they've even been hooked up.

I've done my best to describe how absolutely soul-destroying and depressing a chemo-ward is, but unless you've experienced it you really have no idea. Seeing that is enough to deter me from smoking for life though.

I was unlucky - I had lymphoma and the causes of that are still more-or-less unknown. Smoking and lung cancer are linked though. Don't **** your life up and get it.

In conclusion - well done on giving up, or trying to. You're doing the right thing.
Unread 21 Feb 2007, 07:32   #22
Jonny05

Jonny05 is infamous around these parts

to quit smoking you need to do 3 things
1- quit work
2- quit pa
3- lock yourself up for about 6 months

let me know how that turns out
Unread 21 Feb 2007, 08:07   #23
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny05
to quit smoking you need to do 3 things
1- quit work
2- quit pa
3- lock yourself up for about 6 months

let me know how that turns out

I quitted after over 12 years of smoking (about a pack a day) and I didn't do these things you're summing up. (Well ofcourse I quitted pa long time ago but that's because I'm not a faggot, has nothing to do with smoking)
Unread 22 Feb 2007, 11:12   #24
Mitc
NASA Health & Safety

Well, I'm still off the ciggies. Two weeks almost and the patches are working really well.

The one cloud on the horizon is I'm going to be working away for the next three months and I'll loose the 'support' my wife gives me when I get an urge to smoke.