User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Feb 2007, 09:44   #1
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
open source search

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6335793.stm

now theres a man who believes there is good in everyone :-(

Quote:
"If you have a web environment where the software assumes everyone's going to do something bad, and where the community isn't given the tools to make corrections... you actually encourage hostile behaviours."

do we applaud him for his faith .. or laugh at his niavitey ? (ok i cant spell it )
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 10:40   #2
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: open source search

I'd not bet against him in a big way after what he managed with wikipedia. I think it'd be interesting to see how it worked
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 12:00   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
do we applaud him for his faith .. or laugh at his niavitey ? (ok i cant spell it )
I don't think he's showing an unreasonable level of faith. He's not saying that everyone will behave themselves, he's saying that not everyone will be a vandal either. What's wrong with that?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 17:57   #4
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I hope it succeeds. If it's truly open source someone can take Jimmy Wales out of the loop anyway. I only say this because I've read some things that question his managerial techniques. (deleting of wikipedia entries without reasons on command of (paid) external interests).

Anyone who obtained my credit card transactions for the last year would already have a pretty full picture of my life. But search engines are even more personal. If anyone got hold of my search history for the last couple of years they'd have my entire thought process displayed in front of them. That information in the hands of anyone in authority would be very, very dangerous. I'd definitely support something that took the control of that data off google/msn/whoever.

I'm not sure if I agree with the quote, but if this is truly open source anyone wanting to improve the engine for their own benefit would subsequently improve it for everyone else too, which makes the community's actions good in terms of helping others. But there's nothing stopping people improving the engine to ease socially inappropriate actions. It's great in terms of improvement of a socially shared commodity and privacy, but I doubt it will suddenly turn everyone into benevolent deities. There's also nothing stopping someone adding in code to take advantage of others, but at least that can be peer checked by those who do not want that to happen; it all depends on whether the majority want it to benefit themselves and others, or whether they want to use it to harm others for their own benefit.

Last edited by Hebdomad; 7 Feb 2007 at 18:02.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 18:04   #5
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I didn't research into it that much.
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 18:07   #6
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

It's more because I like to be wary. Please don't troll
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 18:46   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For an Ayn Rand fanboy, Jimmy Wales seems to be a top bloke.
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 20:45   #8
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
I don't think he's bein naive.
Up until the age of 10 or so, I thought that there were people who were "Bad" (such as thugs, criminals etc) and the rest were "good" (pretty much everyone who I hadn't seen doing bad things)
I then went to a Secondary School which was full of the black "gangsta" dudes who terrorise London. These people weren't all that bad, I tried not to interact with them too much but saw that they weren't really bad/evil people, they DID do good things; most of the guys in my class/year would help an elderly person to pick something up or help them with something quick if they were asked, but they are also very scummy most of the time.

They go around the streets being "gangstas" and showing their attitudes, mugging people etc, but were fairly nice to people who were polite towards them.
Half of the cases of assault you see nowadays are because adults always act so hostile towards these idiots, who all have attitude problems and will retaliate. If they were to ask them to do something politely, most of the time they wouldn't get a hostile reaction.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 15:27   #9
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

They didn't mug me because I was "safe" with them, which meant that, even though I wasn't exactly classed as their friend (in many cases I was), I was on good terms with them!
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 15:31   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
They didn't mug me because I gave them oral/ anal sex on a weekly basis!
?
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 15:46   #11
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
or... they knew you'd be able to identify them if they mugged you!
Would they just stab him or shoot him to death? Isn't that what muggers* do these days?

*blacks
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 15:46   #12
_Kila_
break it down!

They could easily have gotten their "crew" from outside school who I didn't know to mug me.
They would have stopped a friend of theirs trying to mug me if they saw it in the street.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 16:08   #13
_Kila_
break it down!

no

If you see them making noise/bein antisocial on the bus, instead of shouting "oi keep it down" etc, acknowledge the fact that they are retarded and have an attitude problem and ask them to quiet down a little as you've got a headache/whatever politely with a "please" and "thanks" if they do it.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 16:13   #14
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
no

If you see them making noise/bein antisocial on the bus, instead of shouting "oi keep it down" etc, acknowledge the fact that they are retarded and have an attitude problem and ask them to quiet down a little as you've got a headache/whatever politely with a "please" and "thanks" if they do it.
'Excuse me please gents. I'm sure you're probably aware that you're behaving like retards. I have a headache and I'm afraid that I'm going to have to ask you young gentlemen to stop behaving like spastics and be quiet. thank you.'

So that combination of words is how to stop a bastard in its tracks. Shouldn't this advice be given in the form of a laminated credit-card sized slip to all people through some sort of nationwide mail operation?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 16:37   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
So that combination of words is how to stop a bastard in its tracks. Shouldn't this advice be given in the form of a laminated credit-card sized slip to all people through some sort of nationwide mail operation?
His advice seems perfectly valid. From the little I've read on the subject, a lot of pointless confrontations seem to stem from people thinking they're not getting "respect" or something equally stupid.

There's a book by an ex-bouncer who said that he would always try and say to someone who was getting a bit rowdy "Hey mate, do me this favour and leave it for tonight - the boss is watching" or something like that. That way the potential troublemaker could calm down and walk away with his dignity intact and not lose face. If the bouncer had threatened him, or abused him, the guy would have felt obliged to kick off.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 16:46   #16
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
His advice seems perfectly valid. From the little I've read on the subject, a lot of pointless confrontations seem to stem from people thinking they're not getting "respect" or something equally stupid.

There's a book by an ex-bouncer who said that he would always try and say to someone who was getting a bit rowdy "Hey mate, do me this favour and leave it for tonight - the boss is watching" or something like that. That way the potential troublemaker could calm down and walk away with his dignity intact and not lose face. If the bouncer had threatened him, or abused him, the guy would have felt obliged to kick off.
Not being a dick to someone who would quite happily kick your head in is sound advice but I doubt it would do much good against people who 'go around the streets being "gangstas" and showing their attitudes, mugging people etc'. You're more likely to become the subject of abuse by drawing attention to yourself.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 17:37   #17
_Kila_
break it down!

You're likely to become the subject of abuse if you talk to them without showing "respect" - the ones I know wouldn't throw abuse at you if you ask them to calm down a little politely, they might say "no" or something, which just shows that they're trying to be argumentative in which case a "fair enough" or just no reaction would do.
Dante's example is pretty good.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 18:45   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You're likely to become the subject of abuse if you talk to them without showing "respect" - the ones I know wouldn't throw abuse at you if you ask them to calm down a little politely, they might say "no" or something, which just shows that they're trying to be argumentative in which case a "fair enough" or just no reaction would do.
Dante's example is pretty good.
I said "I carry a very large stick".
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 11:00   #19
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

From open source search we ventured onto the definition of good and bad people and then set forth on the oh so very subversive terrain of being racist. When the revolution comes you'll all be... I don't know... killed?
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 12:53   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Only ASG and horn were being racist, and the latter of those will be dead well before the revolution comes to pass.
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 14:36   #21
All Systems Go

Don't call me racist for speaking the truth* man! You're all the same, persecuting us natives in favour of Johnny Foreigner. there's a campaign of hate and I accuse you all of being involved with the same groups that are actively persecuting** Nick Griffin and other modern day visionaries, much like the Romans did to Jesus Christ!*** Open you're eyes man, it's all one big lie!****

*usual garbage
**failing to prosecute
***much like Nuremburg did to the Nazis
****Well isn't everything?
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 14:38   #22
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When you start playing Wii Boxing, the first fight you get's against a guy who looks like Jesus who I repeatedly punched in the balls instead of reading the instructions.