User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Jan 2007, 16:04   #1
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
People thinking American's are stupid.

They may have a point.

*Not meant as racism, just slightly shocking*

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 16:14   #2
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: People thinking American's are stupid.

I'm sure if you walked around London or Sydney and asked the same question you'd get just as many people giving stupid answers. I wonder how many hours of correct answers they have to cut for each wrong answer ?
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 16:19   #3
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

"I'm a little mixed up between the Palestinians and Israelis, which ones are the ones throwing the rocks ?" is brilliant though.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 16:34   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

that is really long and doesn't really show anything except some people in America are ignorant. If you did it in any other country it would probably be the same. It would be cool if a proper survey was carried out arcross the world (highly improbable and impracticle) to see which country had the highest and lowest marks. though this still probably wouldn't mean very much.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 17:07   #5
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

It was slightly amusing though heh.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 17:43   #6
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

it truly was amusing.
As an American, myself, I do know that ignorance is present, and as much as it appauls me, i have to deal with it.

But u have to realize that these people WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY to get as much bullshit on this vid as possible... i mean, common... who goes to texas to get american oppinion !? Not to be messed up, but they still hit people over the head with a brick for Death Penalty. (and yes, texas does still have death penalty)

They should have done it in my town.

lol @ australia's prime minister
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 17:56   #7
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Clearly they didn't edit out the correct answers people gave.

But yeah, a lot of Americans are stupid.
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 18:23   #8
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really shocking.

Most americans doesnt read books. In fact, a tiny minority read books (I think it's 8% or something).
Most americans doesnt even score well on test on american history.
When they have asked americans about where Iraq and Afghanistan is, after several years of war, a majority has not been able to correctly identify it on a map.

You will find plenty of ignorent people in europe too, but probably a smaller percentage.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 18:32   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Most americans doesnt read books. In fact, a tiny minority read books (I think it's 8% or something).
Ten seconds of googling would have shown you that estimate is wildly inaccurate. You make yourself appear ignorant with such nonsense.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 18:38   #10
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Not really shocking.

Most americans doesnt read books.
I know English isn't your first language, but this kind of statement always makes me smile.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 18:45   #11
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

The figure was used by participents at a debate on americans and book reading (the participents were all americans themselfs).
The point isnt the number, but that its quite few who read books.
(what is the definition off a book for instance)
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 18:55   #12
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
From dictionary.com

"a written or printed work of fiction or nonfiction, usually on sheets of paper fastened or bound together within covers."

A story perhaps? Begining, middle & end?

Or does that 8% consider an instruction manual to a deep fat fryer a "book"? It is probably bound with covers and provides information to the reader.

However, I believe it is just a matter of scale. Take the UK & the USA. The UK mostly likely has relatively the same ammount of thick people in proportion to it's population. However you then have to factor in quality of education, living etc.. Thus getting to the more user friendly conclusion that the world is full of thick people.

I found it ammusing that the American's made a news artical calling themselves stupid and setting out to prove it, or was that the point in some irronic twist?

Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:05   #13
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
I found it ammusing that the American's made a news artical calling themselves stupid and setting out to prove it, or was that the point in some irronic twist?
I think it was made by Austrailians or it is satire similar to the day today because afaik there is no American newsstavion called CNNN.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:09   #14
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I think it was made by Austrailians or it is satire similar to the day today because afaik there is no American newsstavion called CNNN.
I see, fair doos then.

Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:16   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The point isnt the number, but that its quite few who read books.
Well, the number does matter quite a bit since that was your entire point. A study by the National Endowment for the Arts* gives a figure of 46.7% of Americans as literary readers in 2002. Is this lower than many would want? Probably, but it's not a tiny minority either. When you consider there is something like a billion books sold in the States every year, it's unlikely that the number of readers would have fallen below 10% of the population. Now, maybe a good proportion of those books aren't "worthy" books, I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of Tom Clancy, J.K. Rowling or John Grisham in there. But that's an entirely different argument.

Besides, I don't read many books these days either. Does that automatically make me ignorant?

* source : http://www.nea.gov/pub/ReadingAtRisk.pdf
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:37   #16
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There are always individuals and groups in the US who set out to have "man on the street interviews" and to ask average people questions on current events, geography, etc. Sometimes, there are legitimate ends to the poll, interviews, whatever. However, what always ruffles my feathers are the smug bastards who set out to entertain us by making other people look stupid.

Most people, in any country, are primarily interested in their own little lives rather than the big picture issues. Most people are not well informed on issues for a variety of reasons.

I would like Jakiri to make up a quiz to give those assholes and see how well they do.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:43   #17
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
There are always individuals and groups in the US who set out to have "man on the street interviews" and to ask average people questions on current events, geography, etc. Sometimes, there are legitimate ends to the poll, interviews, whatever. However, what always ruffles my feathers are the smug bastards who set out to entertain us by making other people look stupid.
Isn't that the point of 'reality' tv?

Quote:
I would like Jakiri to make up a quiz to give those assholes and see how well they do.
I think that would be considered a crime againt humanity. So I'm all for it.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:59   #18
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
If you had Mark make a quiz, he'd be the only one to get the answers right and probably would debate himself on multiple answers anyway.

However, you can make this type of video in any country in the world and portray their inhabitants as stupid without any trouble at all, so it's not representative for anything. It's still amusing, however.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 20:01   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Recently I've taken to asking people who state gravity is an unquestionable law to derive the formula on the spot. It's proved fairly successful so far.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 20:20   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not convinced that's a common discussion topic amongst drunken Irishmen down the pub.

Or do you live in some sort of Irish scientists alchoholic utopia where every important discovery made is rewarded, not with grants and funding, but with crates of beer?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 20:58   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's like person X says random thing Y is a fact. I say facts don't exist, they say what about gravity and we're onto the above. It's only happened twice but **** you that's often enough.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:13   #22
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I found it ammusing that the Americans(*) made a news artical calling themselves stupid and setting out to prove it, or was that the point in some irronic twist?

*slaps forehead*

i also find it amusing that some people in that OBVIOUS COMEDY SHOW speak with english accents... in Texas.

Someone bring on the smarting pills !
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:23   #23
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Pointing out American ignorance in most subjects is not really a new concept. Jay Leno has been doing 'Jay Walking' where he goes out and asks these sorts of questions to people on the street for the past 10 years or so and basically you get the same results. Although he does occassionally show people actually answering the question right.

I particularly liked the pointing to countries on the 'map' where they had different names over Australia, and the one guy saying he didn't realize that North Korea was so much bigger than South Korea.

Edit: Changed Vietnam to Korea after being corrected.

Last edited by jt25man; 11 Jan 2007 at 21:46.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:25   #24
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Now, maybe a good proportion of those books aren't "worthy" books, I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of Tom Clancy, J.K. Rowling or John Grisham in there. But that's an entirely different argument.
What do you have against Tom Clancy, J.K. Rowling, and John Grisham?
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:27   #25
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
Pointing out American ignorance in most subjects is not really a new concept. Jay Leno has been doing 'Jay Walking' where he goes out and asks these sorts of questions to people on the street for the past 10 years or so and basically you get the same results. Although he does occassionally show people actually answering the question right.

I particularly liked the pointing to countries on the 'map' where they had different names over Australia, and the one guy saying he didn't realize that North Vietnam was so much bigger than South Vietnam.
Ah, you are American!

It was North vs. South Korea.
Actually someone should said 'Wow, I always thougth the 38th grade was somewhere else!'
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:28   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
What do you have against Tom Clancy, J.K. Rowling, and John Grisham?
They all used to bully me at school.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:29   #27
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
It's like person X says random thing Y is a fact. I say facts don't exist, they say what about gravity and we're onto the above. It's only happened twice but **** you that's often enough.
Maybe you should advise them on using some real facts. Maybe we can shift this off-topic discussion to what are real facts before MrL gets here and discounts all facts as being mere suggestions of facts that are backed by inherently unfounded assumptions and that there's no real reason to suspect that we're not all the figment of some sort of twisted mind, ergo, all facts are meaningless as if the twisted mind's been eating a lot of cheese lately, there's no reason why it shouldn't start raining tutu-wearing Chinese men playing violins and singing the Marseillaise.

I'll start with a real fact:
All Americans are stupid.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:33   #28
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
They all used to bully me at school.
I wouldn't blame anyone for not reading Tom Clancy though, I've been reading 'The Bear and The Dragon' on and off for like 6 years now because I get so easily bored with it.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:36   #29
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh come, Tom Clancy couldn't have been that great a foe. In the time it took him to describe in exacting detail how and by whom the symbols on the handle of the exquisite blade were carved, the shape, colour and heft of the fingers by which the handle was grasped, the sinewy tissue that made up the arm to which the hand of the fingers was attached, the numerous acronyms that made up the militia groups that had trained him to use all of the above to full effect with minimal energy expenditure and the social security numbers of each of the trainers who taught him in each of those organisations, he still wouldn't have gotten around to telling you he was going to cut you.

Seriously you could just set up a deck chair and watch for half an hour then walk away bored before he even started to describe the neural process by which he would assess with his eyes your position to stab you.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:41   #30
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Most americans doesnt read books. In fact, a tiny minority read books (I think it's 8% or something). .
quoting for irony

Also not being able to find countries on a map isnt really that important - it would be quite possible to get political knowledge about a place from books/news agencies without bothering to look for its geographic location. All you need to know about the geography of Iran is that its 'somewhere near Iraq and Israel'. I assume you could finish a degree in nuclear energy without having any idea what a lump of uranium actually looks like.

Last edited by Nodrog; 11 Jan 2007 at 21:57.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 21:43   #31
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Grisham is a different story though, I read through the first 16 of his books after picking one of them up in about a 5 month spread, that's including the time it took me to track down all of them. At least he knows how to use humor and doesn't take 3 chapters say something that a paragraph or two would suffice.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 23:07   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
They may have a point.

*Not meant as racism, just slightly shocking*
Considering you can't even pluralise the word "American" correctly, I don't think you should really throw stones, especially not ones based upon clips from Australian comedy shows.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 00:52   #33
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

To Dante:

The survey you linked to seems to be off good quality, so I accept your 46.7% number. However, since it is a survey, the number isnt in reality that high, since people know that the "good" answer is that they have read a book.

The people I watched must clearly have gotten it wrong.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 01:32   #34
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
To Dante:

The survey you linked to seems to be off good quality, so I accept your 46.7% number. However, since it is a survey, the number isnt in reality that high, since people know that the "good" answer is that they have read a book.

The people I watched must clearly have gotten it wrong.
So what did the other people do? Spy on people with secret video cameras for a year or two to see if they read books?
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 01:59   #35
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

I'm merely pointing out the problems with surveys in general.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:03   #36
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I'm merely pointing out the problems with surveys in general.
You made a point earlier in the thread which relied on a survey.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:06   #37
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
You have a point there.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:17   #38
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i remember watching show like this on an out-takes program once where they were doing the whole 'man in the street' thing asking people about sun-tanning and causing skin cancer.

the reason it was on this out takes thing is cos they go up to one guy and reel of the question and his reply was just
'of course i do i advise on policy about this to *some hospital or other*'

i laughed anyway
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 03:35   #39
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i can't view it here but i'm going to bet part of my spinal column...
I'll take that part of your spinal column and raise you a sphincter.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 04:40   #40
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
YOUR INABILITY TO READ AMUSES ME TO NOW END.

When a survey states that 47,6% reads litterture, then you basicly substract a few percent becouse of what I wrote. It doesnt mean the survey is bad, it just means that there the result should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Surveys have a few problems, and for further reading on the subject I can recommend "Citizen Politics" by Russel J. Dalton.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 04:48   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Well, inherent flaws with surveys aren't really that important here as any use of statistics (e.g. 46% of Americans read) would generally be to compare with other countries or the past. As such, if we had a statistic which said (say) 46% of American's read and 56% of Swiss people read then we wouldn't need to worry about people lying (unless we had reason to believe one country was more likely to lie). Similarly, the big story in the study I quoted was that the figures in 2002 were 10% down on a few years back.

Generally though, while people do lie to people who conduct surveys I'm not sure how strong that trend would be. The thesis about the United States seems to be that an anti-intellectual culture is developing and people are "proud to be dumb" (well, that's sort of what Moore hints at). In such an atmosphere would a lot of people really pretend to read?

(It depends on how the interview was conducted - if the interviewer was a sophisticated North-Eastern Ivy League chick then I guess more people would say whatever would impress her.)
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 09:06   #42
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm still trying to make sense of the thread topic. Who or what is 'American' and what does he/she/it possess that people think is stupid?
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 10:09   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:

When a survey states that 47,6% reads litterture, then you basicly substract a few percent becouse of what I wrote.
That's a fairly meaningless and pedantic point. I doubt if someone told me 43.6% read books I'd actually remember that as being specifically 43.6% the next day but rather something in the 40s with a number after the decimal point. Surely these things come with explicit margins of error designed precisely to avoid these questions anyways?

PS T&F, I think he was referring to the confusion arising over the unnecessary apostrophe which appears in the thread title.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 12:17   #44
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

When a survey states that 47,6% reads litterture, then you basicly substract a few percent becouse of what I wrote. It doesnt mean the survey is bad, it just means that there the result should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Surveys have a few problems, and for further reading on the subject I can recommend "Citizen Politics" by Russel J. Dalton.
Dear G.K.Zhukov,

I'm one of the 52.4% who doesn't read so could you perhaps recommend another way of extending my knowledge on this area. Perhaps a nice documentary, or audio CD with information on.

Many thanks,

Tom
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:02   #45
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Considering you can't even pluralise the word "American" correctly, I don't think you should really throw stones, especially not ones based upon clips from Australian comedy shows.
Congratulations on being possibly the only person in this thread to realise the stupidity of arguing the topic.

For those (pretty much all of you) that do not know the clip is from an Australian comedy show called CNNNN which is a piss-take on real news shows and should not be taken seriously.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:02   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
i remember watching show like this on an out-takes program once where they were doing the whole 'man in the street' thing asking people about sun-tanning and causing skin cancer.

the reason it was on this out takes thing is cos they go up to one guy and reel of the question and his reply was just
'of course i do i advise on policy about this to *some hospital or other*'

i laughed anyway
I remember seeing something similar. A clip from the Australian news, where they go up to a man lying with just shorts on, sunbathing in the middle of a patch of grass.

"Do you know what the Ozone Layer is?" they asked.
The reply, in a thick australian accent, came back "Of course I do, I'm a particle physicist."
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:28   #47
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I think its fair to say that that video is within Americans recognised borders and that the people they talk to can fairly assumed to be be Americans. Those people have failed to answer some questions and so by some standard that lack of knowledges could be considered to be evidence of an uninquisitive mind or someone who isn't capable of understanding some types of information.

This attitude is made even more prevalent by the fact that most people's experience of America is through its media. So people see Cops and Jerry Springer and the stupid insane war against the Middle East and on that evidence they ask themselves "what is wrong with this country? It appears to be full of morons.

But I don't agree.
i think you missed his point there somewhat
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:50   #48
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
For those (pretty much all of you) that do not know the clip is from an Australian comedy show called CNNNN which is a piss-take on real news shows and should not be taken seriously.
I do fail to see how the fact that the clip is from a comedy show means that it's results - that there are a reasonable amount of people who lack common knowledge about the world we live in, or are willing to believe any ludricous claim based on an accent and a camera, is not to be taken seriously.

It's not as if the videoclip pretends to be a scientific study.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:52   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I do fail to see how the fact that the clip is from a comedy show means that it's results - that there are a reasonable amount of people who lack common knowledge about the world we live in, or are willing to believe any ludricous claim based on an accent and a camera, is not to be taken seriously.
On the flip side, it gives us no reason to believe that the selection is not incredibly biased, or even scripted.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 14:21   #50
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
On the flip side, it gives us no reason to believe that the selection is not incredibly biased, or even scripted.
I'd reckon the former to be highly probable, the latter slightly less so.