User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Nov 2006, 17:22   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's time to talk about games you're waiting for!

Here's the ones I'm interested in...

Yet to be released:
Spore (if you haven't heard of this, you're living in a hole)
Alan Wake (cool-sounding psychological thriller type thing)
World In Conflict (more on this in a minute)
C&C: Tiberium Wars
Supreme Commander

Out but not yet got:
Anno 1701

Firstly, you might have noticed these are all PC games as I don't own a console. Some will probably be on consoles too though (Alan Wake definately will be on X360). Secondly, these games all have some element of strategy to them. I'm kind of bored of FPS games at the moment (except HL2) and there don't seem to be any interesting racers about.

So, a few details on a couple of the games:

Anno 1701...
...is quite a cool colonial america age RTS where you get sent off by an unnamed European country to colonise your own little patch of the new world. The map is made up of (randomly generated) islands, and may have other people against you as well as natives and pirates etc, depending on how you set it up. It has a few innovative features, looks pretty good, and from the demo I've played is quite enjoyable in a relaxing kind of way. More here, on the official website.

World in Conflict...
...is stunning, if the prerelease material is anything to go by. The idea is that instead of the Cold War ending in 1989, all the scaremongering used to keep the public in line actually came true - Russia invades the United States.
Now this is a bit of an odd game, as it's an RTS, but focused on action with no "dirt farming" as the developers term it. In other words, you get to call up your troops and send them straight in to battle, without having to spend a few million years building up resources and fortifying a base first. It's all about battle tactics. Oh yeah, and the completely destructible environment. Oh yeah, and the RPGs, mortars, shells, airstrikes, and nukes you get to destroy it with.
It's hard to really describe it without seeing the trailers. Strangely, the official website only has one gameplay footage trailer. Not to worry! Gametrailers has all of them.

So, what are you guys looking at these days?
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 17:26   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: It's time to talk about games you're waiting for!

like you, spore.
in addition hl2 - episode 2, FFXII but not much other then that really.
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 17:36   #3
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Spore is a game Im looking forward too.

Bioshock looked interesting for the XB360.

The Wii in general as from the sounds of it, it's looking pretty good.

And who can forget Gears of War.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 17:55   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fallout 3.

Still.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 18:10   #5
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Phoneix Wright 2

none others that I can think of right now
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 18:46   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh! I nearly forgot, in the "already out" category is Defcon.

It's a recreation of the screen in Norad in that awful 80s film War Games. Comedy genius
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 18:56   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bioshock looks decent (BUT FOR THE PC DAMN YOU). Spore, Alan Wake, Half Life Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament 2007.

Supreme Commander is very good, in that it's exactly like TA but BIGGER.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 19:01   #8
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Fallout 3.

Still.
I funnily enough had someone come into my store the other day and ask where Fallout 3 was as it was supposed to be out yesterday apparently.

He was rather adamant to the extent that I felt sorry for him that denial kept him from accepting Fallout 3's fate.

As for RTS titles, I've been wowed by Company of Heroes lately where I think Dark Crusade feels clunky in comparison.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 19:11   #9
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Zelda; Twilight Princess

Not a single game even close. Gonna be the best game ever
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 19:24   #10
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Fallout 3.

Still.
I feel your pain man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
I funnily enough had someone come into my store the other day and ask where Fallout 3 was as it was supposed to be out yesterday apparently.

He was rather adamant to the extent that I felt sorry for him that denial kept him from accepting Fallout 3's fate.
Fate? Fate??!?!?!! It's coming dude, Bethesda are making it! Though I'd be very surprised if we saw anything about it before E3.

Also I'm waiting for Neverwinter Nights 2, the single player game looks way better than the original. Though considering the big pile of rpg's I currently have to get through it'll probably be a while before I get it.
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 20:07   #11
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: It's time to talk about games you're waiting for!

Medieval II: Total War.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 20:07   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Fate? Fate??!?!?!! It's coming dude, Bethesda are making it! Though I'd be very surprised if we saw anything about it before E3.
The Van Buren one isn't, however. It remains to be seen what Bethesda do with the license, stylistically.
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 20:47   #13
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Medival 2: Total War, and Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The latter one means I will have to buy a Wii as a gift to someone who won't play it though. Going to be tricky

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 20:56   #14
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
Medival 2: Total War, and Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The latter one means I will have to buy a Wii as a gift to someone who won't play it though. Going to be tricky
There's cube version of TP coming you know
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 21:00   #15
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
There's cube version of TP coming you know
I don't got a Gamecube either, and they are difficult to come by in Norway.

Unread 4 Nov 2006, 23:02   #16
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I've been mucking about with the Supreme Commander Beta, and thus far I quite like it.

It feels sufficiently similar to TA to keep me happy, though I have a number of issues with the game as it is now. I just hope they will iron them all out before the game goes to the stores.

It could probably use a few more units, and I'd have liked to have seen a lot more differentiation in the sides (they only really diverge when you reach the superunits). Those two issues are unlikely to be 'resolved' by the time it is out.

Other than that, I think its pretty reasonable overall. I'm not blown away, but I never expected to be. TA will probably always be the ultimate RTS for me.

Summing the game up, I would say it is TA-Lite with a Zoom function and Superunits. Which is fine with me, and will be fine for most people.

Ps. if you want to look for yourselves, use google.
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 23:18   #17
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

World in Conflict looks pretty neat, although I think I'll to upgrade my PC bigtime if I decide to try/buy it.
Unread 4 Nov 2006, 23:59   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
I've been mucking about with the Supreme Commander Beta, and thus far I quite like it.
You can officially colour me green.
I heard from somewhere (I think maybe Gamespot?) that it was going to impliment dual screen support - tactical map on one, action on the other. Can you confirm/deny that?

Nadar, yeah I know
Today's post was inspired because I was looking around for DX10 games to see what fancy stuff they did. I will upgrade when Vista comes out, probably to the nVidia 8600GT (assuming they stick to the same naming convention and call it that). I'm also toying with whether to move to the Core2 Duo platform as I've built a few of them now for other people and they're pretty impressive.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 00:10   #19
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
You can officially colour me green.
I heard from somewhere (I think maybe Gamespot?) that it was going to impliment dual screen support - tactical map on one, action on the other. Can you confirm/deny that?
The game supports Dual Screen. Not in the current Beta mind you, but some folks have burrowed into the code (it is incredibly simple to mod) and enabled dual screen. It will definitely have this as a feature in the final release.

It would give you a huge advantage in the game to use one screen as a tactical map, and the other zoomed in on the action. Because the scale of the game is so immense, you really need to be able to see the big picture.

You can see an example of the dualscreen mode in this e3 preview.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 13:08   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
It could probably use a few more units, and I'd have liked to have seen a lot more differentiation in the sides (they only really diverge when you reach the superunits). Those two issues are unlikely to be 'resolved' by the time it is out.
Very unlikely. Vanilla TA is in much the same boat, or perhaps even worse off - Superunits and Radar Cloaking and Nuclear Bombers weren't in the game, for example.

However, it is apparantly much easier to create units for SupCom than it is for TA.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 14:41   #21
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The differentiation isn't that much of a problem, in TA the sides were similar but it was well balanced and you could pick up and play Arm or Core without needing to learn a whole new play style, I like the fact that all the sides have similar units. I am however a bit disappointed in the lack of difference between the looks of the units. GPG suggested that for example Aeon would concentrate mostly on hovering units but in the game they have 2 or 3 hover units for flavour and the rest are tracked or walking.

Also the number of units available is far lower than Vanilla TA. For example Vanilla TA ARM Top Tier land units:
Zeus (Heavy Kbot)
Fido (Artillery Kbot)
Invader (Bomb Kbot)
Eraser (Radar Jammer Kbot)
Zipper (Scout Kbot)
Triton (Amphibious Tank)
Bulldog (Heavy Tank)
Jammer (Jamming Truck)
Luger (Artillery Platform)
Spider (Paralyser All Terrain Unit)
Seer (Mobile Radar)
Merl (Missile Platform)

That's 12 units compared to Supreme Commanders UEF 3 units at Tier 3 (Siege Bot, Mobile Shield and Artillery) and 4 Tier 2 units (Medium Tank, Heavy Tank, Amphibious Tank, Mobile Anti Air) even when you include super units TA vanilla still had more units. At the moment I think the lack of units is quite a large problem and from the beta FAQ all units that will be included in release are already in the game. Tier 3 Siege Bots tear through whole armies of Tier 2 units, I got out teched in one of my first games and 8 Tier 3 bots killed about 30 Tier 2 tanks and 10 Tier 2 artillery, the only real reason to build Tier 2 units seems to be as flak or specialist units, this leaves you with only 2 good damage units per side. If they do release it in this state I hope they'll be releasing a unit a week like they did when TA first came out.

I'm in the same boat as Cooling, the game is great fun bit I’m not as impressed as I expected to be. There are a good few months of improvement ahead of it and I expect it to be a lot better when it's released but it has a lot of flaws to iron out at the moment.

I like the look of World in Conflict, I'd not heard of that before, it looks very good. I'm waiting for MTWII, Supreme Commander and Half Life 2 Episode 2/TF2.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 15:09   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The number of units in TA is somewhat inflated by the fact that you'd have KBot and Vehicular versions of everything.

The number of units is disappointing, but having played a fair amount of it I don't think it's a problem. Having 3 units with the same tactical use is pretty pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
GPG suggested that for example Aeon would concentrate mostly on hovering units but in the game they have 2 or 3 hover units for flavour and the rest are tracked or walking.
Apart from the ability of floating units to skim over water, the way things move is almost entirely cosmetic. The way things fire is very important; lasers vs projectiles is something of a significant difference.

Quote:
the only real reason to build Tier 2 units seems to be as flak or specialist units
Or because they rip through tier 1? Not every game lasts until everyone has 8 monkeylords and a swarm of loyalists, you know.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 17:24   #23
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Medival 2: Total War
Europa Universalis III
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 18:13   #24
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Yes an no, the only units that fill the same role in that list are the radar jamming Kbot and Vehicle. The Kbots and Vehicles are differentiated by the way they fire which as you say later makes a large difference, for example a Zeus and Bulldog are both heavy units but the Zeus fires an electric bolt while the Bulldog has an arch cannon. The Fido is quicker but less powerful while the Lurger is slow and more powerful.

I did say it was a cosmetic (looks) change and while it doesn't have an impact on game play it was one that was quite hyped up in the press. I'm quite disappointed that the units for the sides look the same, the way I understood it most say Aeon units would float with only a few tracked units and walkers but at the moment it feels like they're mostly tracked units and walkers with only a few floating units. I also don't understand why the Aeon Tier 3 bot is a spider but the Cyberan Tier 3 bot is a walker surely an easy switch. This is something that has been picked up on the beta boards and on Somethingawful despite being just cosmetic people do care.

You have to be pretty inexperienced to not be able to check Tier 1 rushes or get rolled over by Tier 2 units. I've mostly been playing against the same people I've been played TA with for years so I don't think I've had any games where it's been over that quickly. Usually both both parties have Tier 1 harrying forces in about ~7 minutes-10 minutes which check each other and tech up to Tier 2 at a similar time (~15 minutes maybe, I've not really timed many games).

Tier 1 and 2 units are my favorite time of the game since there's far more options involved. My big concern is there's very little variety past the ~25/30 minute mark where most players are pumping out Tier 3 units. It's something that has been echoed a lot on the beta boards.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 18:40   #25
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

the new conan game, which is out in march i think
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 19:31   #26
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

FFXII (even if all I've heard about it has been pretty negative for people who liked the strategy of the previous ones), and Portal looks pretty neat. C&C3 as well but the release date for that's some time after I'm dead.

I was really looking forward to BF2142 but after playing the demo I canceled my order of it forthwith. Diabolical doesn't come close to describing it. It's the future, how have guns become less accurate?
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 20:23   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Also, in game advertising! Also, all the bugs that were in the first edition of BF2 and more! Also, it's a crappy mod of a game that was badly made in the first place made only to get out the door before ET:QW.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 20:53   #28
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Very unlikely. Vanilla TA is in much the same boat, or perhaps even worse off - Superunits and Radar Cloaking and Nuclear Bombers weren't in the game, for example.

However, it is apparantly much easier to create units for SupCom than it is for TA.
The divergence in the sides for TA is far more subtle than in this game. The three sides in supcom are essentially identical right up to tier 3 in almost every respect. That may well be easier for newer players, and easier to balance overall, but it just does not and cannot compare to the overall strategic complexity of TA.

The Superunits essentially feel like a marketing gimmick to me. They are cool and great to look at, but end up unbalancing the game. Whether this will be the case once the game is released remains to be seen. Some of them seem fairly useless to me.

Back when I played TA we used to utterly despise third party units, and superunits for that matter. The thing I loved about the game was that almost every unit had a purpose. There were several that were mindbogglingly shit, sure. But it was pretty impressive to have a selection of over 100 land, air and sea units that were individually useful and (relatively) unique.

Supcom won't come anywhere near TA in that respect.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 21:18   #29
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
It's the future, how have guns become less accurate?
America rule the world, american right winged nutcases (ie evangelics) controlls all education. They have forbidded the teaching of anything that might, just might not be according to the faith, starting with darwinism, math, history, etc.

It's a scary scenario, but just look to Kansas..
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 21:47   #30
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
America rule the world, american right winged nutcases (ie evangelics) controlls all education. They have forbidded the teaching of anything that might, just might not be according to the faith, starting with darwinism, math, history, etc.

It's a scary scenario, but just look to Kansas..
Too much communism rots brain cells.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 23:12   #31
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Wii + Zelda.

C'mon 8th December !
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 10:22   #32
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

A couple of games im looking forward to our Resistance: Fall of Man +
Assassins Creed both on PS3.

Fall of Man is a game where Aliens have taken over Western Europe. America decide to help and contact the alien resistance in Britain. The whole game is set in Britain and you get to kill aliens in such picturesque places as Cheddar Gorge and Grimbsy.

Assassin's Creed is sorta like Prince Of Persia but completely free roaming. Where you play the role of an Assassin fighting for some rebels.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 10:33   #33
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Medieval Total War 2 - I hope it's more like Medieval Total War than Rome Total War, tbh.

I have Defcon, megla. It's not that hard to obtain - download it, and spend a bit of money if you want to upgrade. It's not too difficult to learn, just remember your subs can be shot in the 3 minutes before they launch nukes
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 12:03   #34
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I'm awaiting HL Episode 2. I just hope its longer and harder than Episode 1 was. Was slightly disapointed with how easily and quickly Ep 1 was completed on Hard mode

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 14:08   #35
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

We should get a PA forums Defcon game up and running.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 14:09   #36
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Also, in game advertising! Also, all the bugs that were in the first edition of BF2 and more! Also, it's a crappy mod of a game that was badly made in the first place made only to get out the door before ET:QW.
From a gameplay point of view I love BF2, it's just painful how often/severe the patches are.

In fact scratch that, I like that a game is constantly updated but for
  • The patches are generally about a quarter-gig for the incremental version
  • They almost invariably **** something else up more severely than the sum badness that the patch was trying to fix

Thought that counts.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 17:46   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Yes.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 18:39   #38
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
I played it a fair bit as well. Diplomacy games are very entertaining.

Unread 6 Nov 2006, 20:17   #39
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
i agree

I seem to suck so much in defcon (i loose to comp 1 vs 1)...

I could use some practice to see what am I doing wrong. Ace game.

As for games i am waiting to come out... I dont keep track of thems rly... however, here is my list of very good games that already came out.

A) Oblivion
B) Dark messiah of M&M. (probably best graphics game i had seen)
C) W40K: Dark Crusade.
D) DefCon ( )
E) NWN 2 (yet to try it, looks good)
F) Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn (this one will be out next year, and it WILL bring UO back to #1 MMORPG with approximated 1 million subsciptions)
i can go on for quite a bit
G) Madden 2007 looks good
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 20:32   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Comp games are utterly pointless. They launch all their nukes at the same time, as soon as defcon 1 starts.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 20:52   #41
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

my reckord (if u call it that) with comps is like 2-7
and 1-5 with 2 computers FFA.
Maybe its just that that game is a bit too hard for me o.O
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 21:00   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

They're not hard at all, you just have to know how to play them. They don't play anything like humans at all, though, so the skills aren't transferrable.
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 02:44   #43
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
portal - [url]
i will also buy a wii if they make a lightsaber game that makes good use of the controller (i heard the only sword game they have atm is a pile of shit).
Lucasarts saw the Wii at E3 and said they were very interested in it so its a given that something will appear - Id guess in the 6-12 month after release period.

And Red Steel is shit? Where did you hear that? Who from exactly? My store manager has played the Wii and said Red Steel was pretty good.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 14:21   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
also, is there a reason why your store manager got to play it and you haven't?
Store managers get taken off to try out this kind of stuff.
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 14:43   #45
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Med II TW came today, good old Gameplay getting it here a day early !
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 14:47   #46
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
They're not hard at all, you just have to know how to play them. They don't play anything like humans at all, though, so the skills aren't transferrable.
Indeed, they don't seem to be coded very well. I played as Russia once, and saw North America launch half their nukes over Europe to try to take me out. Needless to say most of them got shot down before they even came to my territory...

Playing humans is a completely different thing.

Unread 9 Nov 2006, 14:57   #47
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

so what's the tactics for playing computers then?
and is it unarguable that Africa is the most sucky place to be?
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 15:24   #48
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Africa is pretty tough to play, I usually tend to abandon Cairo and defend the South which puts you at a large disadvantage in survival games. Europe is the easiest especially if you're allied to Russia.
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 15:24   #49
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
a i was kind of hoping some developers might take up the challenge of making an mmorpg with this kind of technology forming the backbone of it's combat system i.e. actual sword fighting instead of clicking an attack button....

There's a reason for mmorpg's not having real time combat, it's not like the wii will make internet datatransfers between thousands of people on a server thousands times faster.
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 16:42   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Africa is pretty tough to play, I usually tend to abandon Cairo and defend the South which puts you at a large disadvantage in survival games. Europe is the easiest especially if you're allied to Russia.
Any sensible russian won't ally with you, though; Europe is all well protected, Russia is not, so even if any attack on Moscow and Leningrad fails, the outlying regions will still take a pounding.

Africa HAS to abandon Cairo, South America should abandon Mexico. Leave a radar station or something up there so they still think it's guarded.

Assuming Russia and Europe don't ally, South America have a very strong position. Their major population centers are well protected by a ring of SAMs, their ships have access to both seas and only Russia has to have you travelling over other territories to reach by bomber and nuke. The loss of mexico early on will also convince people that you're not a threat.