User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:51   #1
pwjones

pwjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I notice a lot of the anti bot log in questions have been changed to ask things like "What race ship is the buccaneer?". Its great to see these changed as it ws difficult to read many of the old ones.

However, I believe questions like this new type make it difficult for new players to the game. Great for the more experienced players as we know where to find the answer. But for a new player to the game, I should imagine finding the answers would be difficult, maybe to the point where the player may decide not to bother playing at all!

Just my thoughts.
pwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 22:43   #2
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold
Re: Log In Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjones
But for a new player to the game, I should imagine finding the answers would be difficult, maybe to the point where the player may decide not to bother playing at all!
I was going to point out the helpful link to the shipstats just below the question - but having looked again, I realised that it may not be clear enough to new players that this is where the answers are located....

notsure
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 23:17   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Perhaps the helpful link and text description etc need to be bigger - in fact maybe all of the info around the bot stopepr needs to be made cleaer so people know what it is etc.?

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 01:15   #4
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

as long as we can read it.. :-)

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 21:27   #5
St33l

St33l is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, many times last round i just had to refresh screen to get a new question cause it was totally unreadable, or some of the text was even outside the "text" box.... Make it atleast to it's possible to read, and make the questions easy
St33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 09:24   #6
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

Fr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Perhaps the helpful link and text description etc need to be bigger - in fact maybe all of the info around the bot stopepr needs to be made cleaer so people know what it is etc.?
Also there should be a simple "I dont know" link which then displays a different question?

#Fear on NetGamers

irc://irc.quakenet.org/planetarion
Fr0sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 16:48   #7
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0sten
Also there should be a simple "I dont know" link which then displays a different question?
No.

By doing this it "forces" new users to go look things up, thus directing them to tools such as the manual. Through this they will learn abotu the game faster and thus get into it faster.

By having questions like "What race is a Thief from?" It allows new users to develope their knowledge of the game in a more indirect approach.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 17:06   #8
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Timeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really nice

besides there is already a 'i dont know button' its called f5 on your keyboard...or the refresh button on your browser

random n00b - r3 & 4
MoE - round 12
Rock - round 13, 14, 15, 16
Pragmatik - round 16
ToF - round 16
Subh - round 17
Pa Team - rounds 16, 17, 18, 19
awol ever since
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 01:29   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeline
besides there is already a 'i dont know button' its called f5 on your keyboard...or the refresh button on your browser
mind you, people dont know about that untill they submit a support ticket or drop by #support, and/or worry whether the refresh page counts towards their failed login attempts (which it doesnt).

Perhaps its worth mentioning on the page that F5 is your friend?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 02:06   #10
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Questions about ship classes are a bit nasty even for regular players. New stats every round... at least they knowwhere to look for the answer... noobs won't.
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 18:51   #11
xontas

xontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
whats wrong with 5X6 or "write the following text" kinda questions
xontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 12:29   #12
Jackie

Jackie has a spectacular aura aboutJackie has a spectacular aura aboutJackie has a spectacular aura about

Just do easy calculation questions only. If it is to prevent bots logging in, I dont see why these wouldnt be good enough
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 12:35   #13
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I agree, the bot stoppers there NOT to improve players game or general knowledge OR to be an announce its there to reduce the impact that bots have on the game.

The questions should be as simple as possible so that its a minor inconviance
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 13:12   #14
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Agreed. Simple questions only, questions that any newbie who has never played before should be able to answer.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 13:43   #15
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
No.

By doing this it "forces" new users to go look things up, thus directing them to tools such as the manual. Through this they will learn abotu the game faster and thus get into it faster.

By having questions like "What race is a Thief from?" It allows new users to develope their knowledge of the game in a more indirect approach.
Then a link should be displayed to said tool on the question screen (to my knowledge there isnt already...am i right?), insetad of prospective customer/noob trawling through the portal thinking "i paid £5 for this?!"

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 13:45   #16
Furious
SpamBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I agree, the bot stoppers there NOT to improve players game or general knowledge OR to be an announce its there to reduce the impact that bots have on the game.

The questions should be as simple as possible so that its a minor inconviance
Its an entry point into the game...ofc the original purpose is to stop bots, but certainly it could be used in a different way, e.g. to influenece the newer players to explore PA a bit more. I see nothing detrimental about that.

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 16:24   #17
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about

If they want to learn more then they can do it off their own back surely? All the links to manual/stats etc are clearly defined, it doesn't take too long to have a read through - especially if they plan on going p2p.

I lost a tick or 2 on the speedgame with the "write this backwards: 9" questions, or the ones that mix numeric digits and words and then don't tell you what to write the answer as. Surely a "repeat the text" one would be easier for all concerned?
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 17:33   #18
Furious
SpamBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy
If they want to learn more then they can do it off their own back surely?
Thats assuming that they want to. If they dont then we have to make them want to, or guide them a little bit.

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 21:43   #19
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Surely anyone who bothers to sign up for a game wants to do well? And maybe they don't want to spend hours reading the manual anyway?

The proper incentive to read the manual is in the top right corner of the screen - the player's rank in the universe. Forcing newbies to spend several minutes looking at the manual every time they want to log in is likely to annoy them more than it helps them, and may even put them off playing permanently.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 22:16   #20
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Any chance of putting all the time and effort spent on the botstopper into the game itself? We might have a half decent game then!

Seriously though, the botstopper should be limited to simple questions, I'd say a simple "read the image" is sufficient. If someone is determined to cheat then they'd use remote desktops to get people to watch their account for them.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 01:01   #21
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie
Just do easy calculation questions only. If it is to prevent bots logging in, I dont see why these wouldnt be good enough

Easy being the operative word. The current calculations need you to think hard or get the calculator out. My maths skills are definately improving through PA.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 15:28   #22
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Easy being the operative word. The current calculations need you to think hard or get the calculator out. My maths skills are definately improving through PA.

Not a bad thing then ?

Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 17:19   #23
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

I feel bad whining about this, since PA team actually listened to the complaints and made the questions readable. I don't see why they changed them though (except the capitals )
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 18:06   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link
I feel bad whining about this, since PA team actually listened to the complaints and made the questions readable. I don't see why they changed them though (except the capitals )
the questions are now randmly generated on the fly rather than having a static list, this means its not posisble to simply generate a list of al the questions and answers for bots to use.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 20:20   #25
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
the questions are now randmly generated on the fly rather than having a static list, this means its not posisble to simply generate a list of al the questions and answers for bots to use.
Yeah, now we have to write OCR-capable calculators instead of failing to solve it automatically at all!
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 21:31   #26
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
No.

Jesus Christ.
Unread 26 Sep 2006, 00:26   #27
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Quote:
No.

Or just force them right away.

sounds like a really stupid idea to me.
Unread 26 Sep 2006, 17:14   #28
myk
PA Team

myk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to behold

The idea of asking sure questions does improve knowledge of the game for new players who wish to learn. There are quick help tips at the bottom of the login page, so should a new player wish to learn they can. Otherwise there is not a problem with it, they can use the ever trusty F5.

-myk-

[email protected]
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2006, 20:06   #29
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

I (as a new player) would just be annoyed and turned off from a game which tries to lecture me with questions like "What race is a Thief from?".

Quests are a good way to make people learn about the game while also rewarding the players for doing them. They can be done in-game when you have time and between ticks and dont work as a fence keeping you from playing or checking out a game.

Bring back an extensive quest system with rewards and drop login questions which new players cant answer without studying manuals.

ps: this could include a quest to join the netgamers irc and maybe even register a nick (verification can be done by a bot). Maybe even a daily quest for small planets on irc or a PA trivia quiz. Or how about a quest which requires cooperation of 2 or 3 planets of approx. the same size if they arent in any alliance? loads of possibilities

Last edited by Ramihyn; 26 Sep 2006 at 20:13.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2006, 23:52   #30
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I found a very easy login system that requires some hand to eye coordination and should be relativly botsafe.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6...checkerng3.jpg

Cant PA use something like this?

It works by seing the number on the screen and then selecting the right box for the number.. It would be alot easier than previous login thingies.
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 00:13   #31
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I found a very easy login system that requires some hand to eye coordination and should be relativly botsafe.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6...checkerng3.jpg

Cant PA use something like this?

It works by seing the number on the screen and then selecting the right box for the number.. It would be alot easier than previous login thingies.
Detecting the text in the upper box isnt any problem.

I fail to see how instead of "enter the char 3" a "click the box with the 3" should make any difference against bots?
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 00:32   #32
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

It could ofc be made abit darker etc. But I think the main thing here is that the current login system is so rediculus (or so i've been told) that its even not showing the right questions in firefox..
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 00:44   #33
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
It could ofc be made abit darker etc.
Making things darker would be as pointless as those silly lines in the background and then giving the chars different colors. Its like proving to everybody that the creator has no clue about image processing.

Those things only annoy humans.

Quote:
But I think the main thing here is that the current login system is so rediculus (or so i've been told) that its even not showing the right questions in firefox..
That would be a bug to fix and no need to change the system.
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 01:17   #34
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i like the current botstopper questions it helps me with my maths!
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 01:56   #35
Solar Lord

Solar Lord is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't had a single non-maths question yet, is something wrong?
Solar Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 05:21   #36
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts

same...all i ever get is the math questions...whats the point in having those hints if there aint no questions on them

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 11:50   #37
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

The math questions (e.g. 67+84) are ridiculous. If a bot can't solve 67+84, it can't solve 2+3 either, so why the hell make them so high? The high numbers only takes about 2x the time to solve, but it's still annoying
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 20:50   #38
WreCkeRer

WreCkeRer can only hope to improve

y not just put something like "type what u see below" its the most common anti bot question....

yes i know its an old thread...(blame Kargool for that ) :P
R19: [Myth] 9:10:14 Planet Rank: 620 || Galaxy Rank: 1 || Alliance Rank: 18
R21: |Lost| 18:4:12 Planet Rank: 861 || Galaxy Rank: 13 || Alliance Rank: 19
R28: [Orbit] 3:10:4 Planet Rank: 467 || Galaxy Rank: 40 || Alliance Rank: 15
R29: [NewDawn] 10:6:2 Planet Rank: 232 || Galaxy Rank: 18 || Alliance Rank: 4
R30: [Orbit] 9:2:21 Planet Rank: 617 || Galaxy Rank: 14 || Alliance Rank: 7
WreCkeRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 22:11   #39
Thex
Average Thex

Thex will become famous soon enoughThex will become famous soon enough

Can we remove the questions during havoc and before the start of tick 1?

My alliance is [BIG]ger than yours

[ex LOST], [ex IF], [ex G-II]
Thex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 22:51   #40
Markb
PA Team

Markb is a jewel in the roughMarkb is a jewel in the roughMarkb is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreCkeRer
y not just put something like "type what u see below" its the most common anti bot question....
It maybe simple, but some bots can "see" text using Optical Character Recognition, whilst this will stop a basic bot, it will not stop a determined coder.

Basic intelligence captchas requiring the user to read and answer a question are needed, and imo the random numbers generated need to be smaller and the operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication etc) symbols made clearer so that you can't confuse + with x.

My two cents
Markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2006, 11:39   #41
WreCkeRer

WreCkeRer can only hope to improve

fair enough then
R19: [Myth] 9:10:14 Planet Rank: 620 || Galaxy Rank: 1 || Alliance Rank: 18
R21: |Lost| 18:4:12 Planet Rank: 861 || Galaxy Rank: 13 || Alliance Rank: 19
R28: [Orbit] 3:10:4 Planet Rank: 467 || Galaxy Rank: 40 || Alliance Rank: 15
R29: [NewDawn] 10:6:2 Planet Rank: 232 || Galaxy Rank: 18 || Alliance Rank: 4
R30: [Orbit] 9:2:21 Planet Rank: 617 || Galaxy Rank: 14 || Alliance Rank: 7