User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 5 Sep 2006, 16:17   #1
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Planetarion Articles & News

Ok im doing a little market research here for a possible project. So bear with me while a waffle a bit to begin with.

After seeing the recent success of the appocomaster interview (well done omen) i think there may be an opportunity to revive something which has been done before.

Many rounds ago there was was a Planetarion Newsletter (for those of you who dont remind), not the uplink, but an actual email based newsletter. it provided interviews, alliance news, game news, strategy columns and pretty much anything you could want that was Planetarion related.

So what im asking is...

a) If such a thing existed and had good content would you read it?

and

b) Do any of you out there have the time to contribute content to such a project?

Please comment below! If you think you might be able to contribute then please come and visit me on irc. My nick is Chef and i can be found in #planetarion. You can also email me at [email protected]

Greetz Chef

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.

Last edited by Chef!; 5 Sep 2006 at 16:45.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 16:20   #2
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planetarion Articles & News

I would definetly read it. Don't know if i can offer much to contribute though

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 16:26   #3
SoulStripper
Bootches be trippin

SoulStripper is an unknown quantity at this point

i think this could be a good idea however ur going to need to narrow down the topics becuase most ppl (PA Players) dont really like to read *nods* i would say

-Top 5 Alliances (whos gone up, whos gone down)
-Anything happening between alliances (Wars / NAPS / etc)
-Interview with top player of the week
-Funny comments found just rambling on IRC
-etc

I would def read it and if u ever need any help with it i could possibly spare sum time to help you guys out.
R14: FCrew -> BC
R15: FCrew -> HC
R16: FCrew -> HC
R17: NewDawn -> Member | Support Team
R18: NewDawn -> Member | Support Team
R19 - R22: ~~ resigned ~~
R:23: xVx -> DC

Name: Soulstrippers
Current Employer: Unknown
Position: Experiment
SoulStripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 16:27   #4
Vikman
F-crew HC

Vikman is on a distinguished road

I think its a good idea and I would def read it. Would give the communtiy a way to stay up to date on pa news as well as other happenings thst arent excatly news.
[email protected]
Vikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 16:34   #5
Saphi
Leo's Pwn :P

Saphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these parts

this is a brilliant idea ....i remember this from the old days and was sad to see it leave.... and its a brilliant way to get newer and older players playing again

and if u need ne help i would lke to offer my services
------------------------------------------------
The answers you seek are not here
Saphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 16:42   #6
Audacious

Audacious is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its a very good idea to show the old players and possibly the newer ones what has been going on in planetarion during the round
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 16:59   #7
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

I like the idea. You could have an interview with an alliance HC for example as well as a top player. Obviously youd have to keep the top players nicks quiet, but just have there co-ords or planet name listed as opposed to IRC nick. I like the idea and would definitely read it.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 17:08   #8
myk
PA Team

myk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to behold

I too like the idea, I believe this could really add to the community that is already well established and also become every PA players dream to be mentioned on it lol

-myk-

[email protected]
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 17:21   #9
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

tbh chef i think it would work better if it was done as a section of the portal with a link to it on the overview ,anyone playing pa always checks the game but not everyone checks email daily especially if they have only used the email to sign up to pa
another option would be to mail everyone ingame with the link to the newsletter section of the portal,
would be interested in reading it

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 17:24   #10
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
tbh chef i think it would work better if it was done as a section of the portal with a link to it on the overview ,anyone playing pa always checks the game but not everyone checks email daily especially if they have only used the email to sign up to pa
another option would be to mail everyone ingame with the link to the newsletter section of the portal,
would be interested in reading it
i think the reason im suggesting the email version is because it will require very little coding as the PA coders are focusing on the game really but i will consider that too.

Also wanted to mention there would most likely be an "opt out" function for people who didnt want to recieve the newsie.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 5 Sep 2006, 17:26   #11
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

well i'm lazy and just want a link ingame on overview to click

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 17:27   #12
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
well i'm lazy and just want a link ingame on overview to click
probably would be a way of storing newsletter issues online too without much of a problem.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 5 Sep 2006, 17:41   #13
myk
PA Team

myk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
i think the reason im suggesting the email version is because it will require very little coding as the PA coders are focusing on the game really but i will consider that too.
Yes, correct, but we could do both, making a game based version in php would not be too much of a hassle for me.

-myk-

[email protected]
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 17:42   #14
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

I would read it, won't have the time to contribute. As some said before though, i think this should definatly be a very big part of the portal, the more lively the game looks to visiters the better. Put the most interesting ones, like current game events and alliance politics, on the main page to finally replace the boring static index page there currently is (with the quotes etc) about how ace PA is, as who cares about that really.

[Edit]Forgot to mention that the e-mail version would probably only reach the existing player base, while a system like this should definatly be used to get new ppl interested in the game (when they hit the homepage etc)[/edit]

Last edited by Wandows; 5 Sep 2006 at 18:27.
Wandows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 18:18   #15
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

I would also read it. Perhaps it would be useful to send out to old players also for them to read it and get back involved with the game. I would also offer things to put into it, perhaps not as interesting but least it would be somthing.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 18:41   #16
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Would read and help write for it too.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 19:01   #17
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Why an email newsletter? I personally find it to be one of the more annoying ways of receiving news. If you're not careful enough with spam filters many people might not even get the newsletter. Sending it to past players who no longer give a shit about the game will only frustrate them, they'll probably end up annoyed instead of making them return to Planetarion as everyone hopes.

Concentrate on creating a main website where all news is posted. Interviews, round updates, interesting alliance wars etc could be posted as news to a main website/portal when they appear. Don't delay all the news to bunch it all together into a newsletter, by the time everyone has reviewed it the latest news will be old and stale.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 19:27   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

From vague recollection the major issues with every newsletter that's been attempted before, either in portal or email form were something along the lines of
  • Most interviews of PA people aren't that interesting, or the interviewers don't ask relevant/interesting questions so you end up with tripe like 'how do you think your alliance is doing' or 'who do you think is going to win round X' which frankly isn't very entertaining at all
  • When the supply of people to interview dried up, it tended towards poor reviews of music or computer games and movies of circa 2003
  • Even during the rest of the crap, inevitably some people would use the thing almost as a blog
  • The editing teams have tended to be either cliquey or poorly directed, the last newsletter attempt was nothing short of horrible
  • The thing was opt-out which pissed people off no-end for just being spammed (I think Jolt harvested all of our email addresses when they took over because I sure as hell didn't sign up for some of the nonsense they used to send me

PA is no longer big enough to justify what I always thought would be cool which was almost a running news channel (Eve has something not dissimilar), and there aren't really any 'stars' left to have interesting interviews with. Another issue was the frequency of the updates. Too many and there's nothing to report which means lots of filler, too few and the updates become longwinded and tiresome to read. I don't think any of the newsletters ever got the mix right.

To be honest, if your heart is set on the idea I'd have a combination of an email update and a website. You use the email to highlight 'this fortnight's big features' with maybe two or three sentences or a snippet describing what they're each about with links back to the site. Some degree of interactivity wouldn't go amiss either.

I've seen this attempted badly too many times in the past to be optimistic but I hope you can at least do something that lasts more than two issues.

Things to avoid from their not having been any good in the past:
  • Columns, unless they're opinion pieces/editorials written by someone with two of 1) some linguistic talent, 2) something interesting to say or connections to get good and entertaining information, 3) a sense of humour
  • Reviews of anything. There are myriad sites devoted to reviews of just about everything and they're almost certainly going to be better equipped
  • Blog-like pieces anywhere, unless it's a well-maintained dev-diary

Things to strive for:
  • Interactivity, some kind of letters page (with editorial responses of wit and merit) or competition or something, anything really
  • Conciseness in the email if not the entire thing
  • Interesting interviewees with interesting interviewers (that doesn't even mean big-names, just a good read)
  • Avoiding having an admin/editorial team that all already know each other, or are all from some similar background, or that want to write just to try and get some e-fame

All just opinion as always but there we go.

Last edited by pablissimo; 5 Sep 2006 at 19:36.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 19:32   #19
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

e-mail with a small site might be interesting.

I love the idea, but I wouldn't want to read too much. Then again, there might be a lot of stuff you want to fit in, in which case links to a site would be better as people can ignore or read as they desire.

An example, using pre round discussion of ship stats might be:
'Terrans look, as ever, to be a strong attacking race with their tough ships allowing the occasional mistake and therefore they remain a good starter race. See the full discussion here!'

A weekly one starting the week before the round (perhaps linking to shipstats discussion, how the round is shaping up etc), and ending with the round would work? I might even be able to help contribute, since I don't play properly any more.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 19:37   #20
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Things to strive for:
  • Interactivity, some kind of letters page (with editorial responses of wit and merit) or competition or something, anything really
  • Conciseness in the email if not the entire thing
  • Interesting interviewees with interesting interviewers (that doesn't even mean big-names, just a good read)
  • Avoiding having an admin/editorial team that all already know each other, or are all from some similar background, or that want to write just to try and get some e-fame

All just opinion as always but there we go.
love some of these ideas and i totally take into consideration everything you have said

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 5 Sep 2006, 19:52   #21
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

"Letters to the editor" sound good... or maybe some anonymous shout-outs too? Those are usually entertaining.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 19:56   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:

Also wanted to mention there would most likely be an "opt out" function for people who didnt want to recieve the newsie.
actually it has to be opt in rather than opt out to comply nicly with anti spam laws etc.

I'll try to find out how many people have actually opted into the current email list to see if an opt in system is feasible.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 19:57   #23
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

The most important thing here is continuity. That things will keep getting out to the masses, or that if not, an explanation as to why things are delayed not coming.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 20:10   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
The most important thing here is continuity. That things will keep getting out to the masses, or that if not, an explanation as to why things are delayed not coming.
I think thats a very important point. With any newsletter it should be regular and hence deadlines have to be met. A portal based columns system is easier from that point of view as they can be posted whenever - however unless they are really really good people won;t regularl check back for updates - the advanatge of a newsletter is that the updates are pushed onto people.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 21:44   #25
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i think there should be 2 different ways of doing it. Constant updates on the portal, whenever something interesting/worth mentioning happens within the game, post interviews with the involved parties and such (speedgames / normal games politics, winners and such). Somewhat like the logbook that JBG/lokken tried to maintain, but instead of set periods, update it whenever something interesting happens (giving a person who can write a good log entry/story is available at that time ofc). Not very long stories, just some small updates about what happened, how and why.

Perhaps some form of developers blog is an option too (its always good to know atleast something is being done), though i know how much Jolt and PaTeam try to keep everything they are developing a secret incase all those gazillion clones keep an eye on the portal an rapidly copy 'new' ideas *lol*.

Then every once in a while (month/2 months?) some mail can be sent out to the mailing list with some headlines of the events since the last news letter.
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 21:47   #26
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My idea would be to have interviews and basic strategy points crossposted on AD and PD, so users could then debate these views on the forum. Or indeed a special forum for these announcements, with perhaps a link from ingame, although that would depend on PA team not cluttering the overview too much.

It would also get newer players more involved on the forum, which I can't think is ever a bad thing.

Quote:
there aren't really any 'stars' left to have interesting interviews with. Another issue was the frequency of the updates.
This pushed jerome over the edge
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 22:36   #27
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

shik is infamous around these partsshik is infamous around these parts

i think theres not happening enough to make up a newsletter?
all the important interesting stuff is checked at least twice a day(tick) by the active player.
all left would be some celeb shit, which i dont like.
and "there arent really any stars left" -> you can make the stars mister journalist!

whatever, i wouldnt read it, thanx
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 23:42   #28
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The email method always was the better method simply because it didn't require people to put any effort into seeing if its been updated. It came into their inbox and they could then read it along with the rest of their email.

However I cant help but think that both the newsletter and the portal are experiments that have continually failed and should be put to bed once and for all. They just don't work as official projects as the official nature stifles them. Such 'community' projects require cant work when you have pateam looking over your shoulder making sure everything is ok by them and jolt. Its certainly no surprise the closest we came to both came under the control of Zeus who gave us a fairly loose lead but even then they were both troubled by the fact everything published at to be impartial and the fact that getting staff who can constantly and regularly write articles for them was nigh on impossible. People don't want to read bland interviews where everyone plays the same kind of bland responses to bland questions or read bland articles on bland and over discussed aspects or read bland reviews on old movies, music, games and tv that. They want entertained and their attention grabbed

Once and for all these flashy but pointless features need dropped and energies need put in the right places such as
  1. A Development Blog. Ive said it on previous portal threads but this is what interests people. Spinner used to do something simerlar using the announcement forum and we would receive almost daily updates of new features, bug fixes and such like
  2. A better manual. The current one is really not that good
  3. Building a background to the game. Pick up any commercial game and the first thing you will get when loading it is a cut scene giving you info on what's going on. PA doesn't have that despite having a real and evolving background to build the canon around. The races should each be better defined with images and bios to add depth to the races and make them more than a label and the real round events should be taken and the elaborated to produce a real history for the game. Its a big task but something PA needs to become a real game and not the glorified spreadsheet that it basically is. Yes its a big and tough job to create the games canon but the longer its put off it just gets harder and the more long term players we lose whom provide the historic knowledge for the creative people to build the canon around
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 07:28   #29
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Did Leshy not a while back write some (pretty good) fiction based on PA's beginnings? Or am I just making shit up now?
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 09:23   #30
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Did Leshy not a while back write some (pretty good) fiction based on PA's beginnings? Or am I just making shit up now?
A few people over the years have, what's needed now though is to get these kind of people together with people who have been long standing members of the community and get an official cannon that ties the actual events into these stories and lays the basic ground work for anyone else wishing to add to it.

What I envision is something along the lines of star wars. This is probably the best example of a cannon being created. We have the original films and around that we have all sorts of books which expand the universe and have become part of the official canon. The problem we have doing that in PA though is no-ones tried to do it sooner. Back in r3 many people were writing stories and if at that time someone had got these people together and talored the stories to fit the real events as well as getting the events prior to the game starting included it would have been alot easier to sort than now where we have 20 rounds worth of action to put into place
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 09:54   #31
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Unfortunately Wakey and Pab are right, this has been attempted time and time again and failed every time. There simply isnt enough interesting things happening to keep putting out a newsletter every fornight or month. The first couple will be ok then you'll run out of interesting interviews or articles to write about. All the top players know what is going on in the universe so they dont really want some kind of review of what they've just been through in the last week or so, especially when they probably know more in depth details about it than the person writing for the newsletter.

Even if you could come up with enough interesting material it is extremely hard to find people that will submit articles regularly and on time. I'm sure you'll get a whole host of people that will put their names forward, it happens every time. They probably want their name on a PA related thing to forward their PA careers or whatever but when push comes to shove they'll not write enough interesting/provocative stuff on time. I've seen it happen before and i've no doubt that any new attempt would have the same fate.

I'm sorry to be so pessimisstic, i guess thats what comes when you've seen something fail repeatedly.

Wakey's idea sounds very interesting though.

Edit: excuse my awful spelling.

Last edited by JC; 6 Sep 2006 at 12:33.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 12:29   #32
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey
However I cant help but think that both the newsletter and the portal are experiments that have continually failed and should be put to bed once and for all. They just don't work as official projects as the official nature stifles them. Such 'community' projects require cant work when you have pateam looking over your shoulder making sure everything is ok by them and jolt. Its certainly no surprise the closest we came to both came under the control of Zeus who gave us a fairly loose lead but even then they were both troubled by the fact everything published at to be impartial and the fact that getting staff who can constantly and regularly write articles for them was nigh on impossible. People don't want to read bland interviews where everyone plays the same kind of bland responses to bland questions or read bland articles on bland and over discussed aspects or read bland reviews on old movies, music, games and tv that. They want entertained and their attention grabbed
Me and you have discussed this before on irc if i recall and yes to a point i agree with you, however it just get the feeling that possibly the reason that some of these things consistantly fail is because they are continually involving the usual suspects, continually re-hashing the same material and never offering anything new. Some of the ideas which pab made further up the thread (and lokken made via irc) could bring new interest. Its got to be worth a try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Even if you could come up with enough interesting material it is extremely hard to find people that will submit articles regularly and on time. I'm sure you'll get a whole host of people that will put their names forward, it happens every time. They probably want their name on a PA related thing to forward their PA careers or whatever but when push comes to shove they'll not write enough interesting/provocative stuff on time. I've seen it happen before and i've no doubt that any new attempt would have the same fate.
I totally understand what you are saying here but i think if a team of people who arent just the usual suspects can be found (which from speaking to people on irc i think can be) there could be continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
All the top players know what is going on in the universe so they dont really want some kind of review of what they've just been through in the last week or so, especially when they probably no more in depth details about it than the person writing for the newsletter.
While the top players may know whats going on the bottom players probably dont so maybe this is exactly what they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm sorry to be so pessimisstic, i guess thats what comes when ytou've seen something fail repeatedly.
I can understand the pessimism as i have been there when the previous attempts have failed to (involved in writing for the first newsletter and writing for the uplink) however just because something has failed once doesnt mean it will fail again. Working out new ways of getting people involved and making these newsletters more interactive is the way to go. After having discussed this idea with quite a few in the community there has been quite a bit of interest and quite a lot of new ideas.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 6 Sep 2006, 12:32   #33
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I cant say that i'm a huge fan of the idea of a newsletter, nor a Portal. I'd prolly not read it if it came out, and contributing is pointless as every idiot can read ship-stats these days. Hell, even Appoco can, so my work is done.

I find myself in strong agreement with Pablissimo, minus the optimism :\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 14:12   #34
wakey
Hamster

Chef its hardly failed just once, especially when we include the portal into the mix (after all both are basically the same thing but presented differently) . Its failed over and over again and with many different groups running it and its about time time we just put the idea to bed and focus on aspects that help the game.

Lets use eve-online as an example of how to do it

The first page we come to when we type the url is a slick professional looking page as opposed to our clunky looking site.

Now the key elements on their site which PA should have and where development should be focused are
- Dev Blog. Theirs is updated multiple times a day and with the many different departments there's no reason a PA dev blog shouldn't have at least 1 new item posted each day. If one of the departments cant post something then they simply arent doing their job correctly
- Backstory. The backstory section has information on the races, the science and the organisations/alliances that play a part in the game. All is pretty indepth. From this information a cannon hs been created which has allowed people to produce 'Chronicles' and 'Short Stories' that expand the universe and makes it feel real. After all there's a reason movies, tv, books and computer games all come with backstories and its something that PA lacks
- FAQ. This basically does what PA's about does but its alot more informative and better structured
- Knowledge base. This is basically the manual but done better. Its fully serchable and seems like it would be easier to add and amend
- Player Guides. These again are well done. They give a step by step guide but are also written in a way that builds introduces the backstory and concepts thus instantly puts you into the universe.

Eve's whole setup seems to be focused on building a world for people to inhabit and to make information on how the game works and whats being done freely available. PA's setup on the other hand seems designed to keep people in the dark and completly ignore the rich sci-fi setting it has to build a world around instead deciding that a gloryfied spreadsheet alone is enough to be attractive (even the best Glorified spreadsheet games, Football Manager for example do something to make you feel that your in a rich vibrabt world when your playing the game. We have a planet that we know nothing about and which is just a line on the galaxy page, we are races who really arent anything but a name and ship type too us ect ect and we are all ultimatly disconnected from the game)
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 14:19   #35
Chef!
Domestic Diva

I must say on the things you have said about the fiction background to the game i completely agree. Im also aware that there are new help features in the pipeline so its not like everything you are saying isnt being worked on.

As for a developer blog, i agree this would also be beneficial to the game. However i still dont think that the idea of a newsletter should be written off just yet.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 6 Sep 2006, 15:56   #36
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

shik is infamous around these partsshik is infamous around these parts

okay then, stop talking and begin.
if you need help with something, just ask
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 16:06   #37
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Quote:
I must say on the things you have said about the fiction background to the game i completely agree. Im also aware that there are new help features in the pipeline so its not like everything you are saying isnt being worked on.

As for a developer blog, i agree this would also be beneficial to the game. However i still dont think that the idea of a newsletter should be written off just yet.
You'll need to find one of them who is willing to contribute every week/two weeks/insert timeframe here.... Writing an article can take a little while, and coders can be busy folks. Harrassing myk or appoco should be fun though
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 16:07   #38
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
You'll need to find one of them who is willing to contribute every week/two weeks/insert timeframe here.... Writing an article can take a little while, and coders can be busy folks. Harrassing myk or appoco should be fun though
lol yes that was my main worry as they are both rather busy

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 6 Sep 2006, 22:30   #39
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

There is about 2k players on the game. many can code as i noticed on IRC, not my case. i would contribute on this aspect if i knew. Prolly there is ppl out there that dont read forums who could do the same. So would be nice thing to convince PA Team to use overview to recruit contributors for this project, maybe there is people who could contribute with coding with free time that dont even have a forum acc who could be reached thru overview page, maybe on Havok/Beta.

in case this idea could be accepted. Please, dont put those shot-non-auto-explainable messages with forum links you used to put on overview many times ppl dont bother to click th forum link if they dont know the exact relevance of the info presented.

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2006, 07:39   #40
Illuvatar
Mastermind

Illuvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the rough

yup, I can just agree here. another really good suggestion - and everyone is up to date in politics via newsletter without having x chats to people about what happened last night. totally support that idea! Also agree to what Wandows said about the Portal: update it! - throw all that pa wiki, history, logbook stuff etc. to the PA-Portal for everyone to read instead of using several urls for it. Makes the players and the community happy \o/ Long Live PA

Community Leader
Illuvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2006, 14:20   #41
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

I think one smart way you could take this is to make a 'blog' rather than a newsletter. Then people can subscribe using RSS and get the updates quickly.

If you make a custom solution rather than using a blog cms, I will be happy to code a script for you to produce the RSS feeds.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2006, 14:31   #42
Chef!
Domestic Diva

We are currently looking at a number of different options for a possible newsletter/portal/blog kind of thing. We've got quite a few different options open to us as it is.

In the mean time i really need to put a team together of people who are willing to write articles for this. Now im not going to be asking for everyone to submit an article every week/two weeks etc but as long as you would be willing to contribute on a fairly regular basis.

Some people have already approached me and i will get in touch with them soon and some people have been approached by me already as i feel they would be good for this. So, if you want to get involved then drop me an email to [email protected] (my @pa.com isnt working at the moment i think as im not recieving anything). Im also going to try and collar appocomaster to send out a mail in-game to all planets before the end of havoc with some information about how to get involved to!

Alternative come find me on irc, i am usually in #planetarion.

- Chef

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 7 Sep 2006, 15:49   #43
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Let me know if you want any software help.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2006, 20:33   #44
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Just to let you know ladies and gentlemen #portal is our new channel for this project so feel free to drop in and see us. If you want more information about the project or if you want to discuss making an article contribution then pop in and see me.

- Chef

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 8 Sep 2006, 22:25   #45
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

I suspect one good game would be preferable by far to most players than yet another newsletter/portal filled with blogs from wannabe nobodies whose sole achievements in life to date are twofold:

1. They can string together words into coherent sentences
2. They beleve other ppl want to read their semi-literate ramblings.

Forget blogs (which is what any such project will end up as) - focus on making a game that's actually blog-worthy.
Unread 8 Sep 2006, 22:43   #46
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

So, are you trying to kill all community iniative here sid?

Edit: I realize this was probably a bit harsh. My apologies there :s Just, the fact chef is putting some effort in to try and do something is a good thing, and we really shouldn't be knocking it? That, and I'm kind of doped up on painkillers right now and probably in a considerably bad mood

Last edited by Squidly; 8 Sep 2006 at 23:20.
Unread 8 Sep 2006, 23:11   #47
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

As an aside, I like to see public discussion on ways to improve the game. If you wouldn't mind making some suggestions forums posts as to how to make a 'blog worthy' game sid, that would be great.

EDIT: I just realised this post sounds cocky/facetious etc. It's genuine interest.

Last edited by Gate; 8 Sep 2006 at 23:18.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2006, 23:14   #48
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
So, are you trying to kill all community iniative here sid?
My mistake - I got the impression Chef was part of PA team. If he's not then good luck to him. If he is, then a newsletter/portal should be the least of his concerns. The strength of a newsletter/portal is that anyone can contribute. That's also it's biggest weakness.
Unread 8 Sep 2006, 23:19   #49
Synthetic_Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
As an aside, I like to see public discussion on ways to improve the game. If you wouldn't mind making some suggestions forums posts as to how to make a 'blog worthy' game sid, that would be great.
I've been making suggestions since about round 3.

Until PA team decide what type of game they want to run (and who the target market is) it's hard to give detailed proposals. Sure, I could give offerings on a new Xp formula, new races, death-stars, a fancy galaxy/alliance trading fund etc etc. But without a properly defined framework in which to fit them all such proposal are counter-productive - as they waste the design team's time in looking at detailed proposals without those proposals having been tailored/designed to fit into a properly structured overall framework.

My complaint since about round 3 has been that the game isn't targetted at a specific audience - and that complaint still remains as valid as ever. Changing ship names, producing a portal and fiddling with stats won't fix that.
Unread 8 Sep 2006, 23:33   #50
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
My complaint since about round 3 has been that the game isn't targetted at a specific audience - and that complaint still remains as valid as ever. Changing ship names, producing a portal and fiddling with stats won't fix that.
I think the main problem is that PA in the good-old-days had little to no competition. It dominated the web browser game niche.

Nowadays there is lots of competition, and they do it for free.

The only ways to "improve the game" (and by "improve the game", I assume you mean "expand the memberbase"?) really are:
-Advertise
-Spread the word via referrals or similar
-Make it free
-Change the market (make it available to buy in shops or similar)

But those really are all Jolt's responsibility and decisions. PA Team can only do so much to improve the game. The portal and PR side of things being one of them.

On topic, I'm not sure people care about interviews with alliance HCs. No offence to any big players or HC out there, but we can see from the End of Round Ceremony most top players/HC seem to have about as much personality and charisma as a cauliflower. JBG's is pretty much the only speech I can remember.

I think the key is to politics (as that is interesting) and scandal (what? tabloids are very popular in the real world! why not PA?). Also a few tongue-in-cheek things like "A Day in the Life of a forums mod" or "An interview with the lowest ranked player we could find and why he sucks so much".

I know Zhil (for example) used to write some excellent fiction based around the Wrath/Fury alliance a while ago. Some sort of politics/PA alliances based fiction might be interesting, if you could get someone like him in on it...?