User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Aug 2006, 22:21   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Weird Question

But does anyone else feel that adverts which show white and non-white people interacting as forced and patronising rather than being a sign of social cohesion?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 22:24   #2
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird Question

Can black people not sell their vegetables to white people?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you saying that black and white people don't actually want to interact and that this is why it is forced?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 22:25   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When you've seen South African public television pretty much everything else looks natural by comparison.

But a lot of the time they're going the international angle which is why on Dell style adverts you always get a nice cross reference of Anglos/East Asians/etc.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 22:58   #4
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

no.

but then i do not look at the skin colour of my friends so little seems 'out of place' or 'forced' to me
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:15   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
no.

but then i do not look at the skin colour of my friends so little seems 'out of place' or 'forced' to me
Funnily enough some people do. Whether it's people campaigning for more ethnic diversity in Eastenders

http://www.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,,1640970,00.html

or specifically looking for people based on factors other than talent

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=338662005

this is the first example I could find but football commentator John Barnes (who is black) probably only has the job because of his skin colour. He most certainly did not get it through his skills as a commentator (he has none) or his footballing credentials (he has none).

I'm not sure that this purposeful effort to get more non-white people on tv is a good thing. Sure it's good in the respect that there is more diversity but it seems to be that skin colour is becoming more important than the quality of the person.

But maybe I'm just a paranoid cynic.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:17   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wasn't John Barnes quite good as a footballer?

I don't remember (or care) but I seem to remember everyone in my school supporting Liverpool (at the end of 80's) and they all said he was good. But they could have been lying ofc.
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:34   #7
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Wasn't John Barnes quite good as a footballer?

I don't remember (or care) but I seem to remember everyone in my school supporting Liverpool (at the end of 80's) and they all said he was good. But they could have been lying ofc.
Yes, my bad. I recall making the same mistake when I first made this argument.

I retract that statement about john Barnes.

I would like to replace it with the following statement:

John Barnes is a shit commentator and does not deserve to have the position. Whilst the colour of his skin was not the predominant factor in his appointment it most certainly did not hinder him.

If I ever see Rio Ferdinand commentating on football professionally shall have to kill someone.

I believe (based on little in the way of actual evidence) that there is a desire to show how multicultural we all are. It's an attempt t address the problems by papering over them.
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:44   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
That's because all your friends are white, probably.
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:44   #9
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
or a fool

he was a hero when I was a boy. Gary Lineaker was as well.

true freedom from racism means freedom from worrying about skin tone.
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:45   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
That's because all your friends are white, probably.
and all of yours are bald and cancerous, probably
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:47   #11
All Systems Go

Quote:
true freedom from racism means freedom from worrying about skin tone.
I agree but I don't believe this exists in society and especially not in tv.
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 23:50   #12
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
I agree but I don't believe this exists in society and especially not in tv.
what you mean is that it does not exist in you.

that is why you have an issue, why you feel uncomfortable, why you even mention the topic.

I am not famous for my patience and you test mine
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 00:04   #13
All Systems Go

Quote:
what you mean is that it does not exist in you.
I never said it did, but I wouldn't let it stop me (or make me, for that matter) from employing someone should I run a business etc...

Quote:
that is why you have an issue, why you feel uncomfortable, why you even mention the topic.
No, I mention the topic as I feel these attempts to show racial diversity are crumbs thrown to the minorities to move focus from the predominance of white people in these media.

Quote:
I am not famous for my patience and you test mine
I really hope I don't upset you. I might end up with a week-long ban.
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 00:21   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most interactions on advertisements seem forced* to me. Racial composition aside.

*unrealistic
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 00:22   #15
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

yeah I do think the adverts are forced, and cleverly focused. I used to worry about it, but then I noticed that Black Entertainment Television (BET) has commercials, with ONLY black people in them, Car commercials, cigars, candy, toothpaste gum, EVERYTHING. Which as sad as it may sound, is nearly impossible to accomplish (all black cast) unless it was focused to be that way.
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 02:29   #16
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think the intentions of the marketing companies is less about subverting you into social cohesion and much more about not accidentally excluding a segment of society that could buy the product/service.

Whats south african television like? Blacks on blondes?!
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 03:13   #17
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I think possibly you read too much into it. I'd say the case presented that it is to grab interest from a broad segment of consumers is most likely.

When ever I have seen these ads what little I do notice of the mixed ethnicity I put down to the cultural quirks of the region that advert was made in. It is probably more forced in some areas to have a single race then simply going with the existing culteral blend.
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 03:24   #18
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

When I see diverse commercials, it seems that they subtly play on racial strereotypes of the different ethnicities.

For instance: (in US) the Washington Mutual commercials have an 'African American' middle class guy in khakis and a blue shirt talking to a 'Bankers Pen' of upper class 'White' men in full suits with white shirts and ties.
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 07:39   #19
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Black people are allowed in commercials these days?!

I never really noticed what you said tho, i'm past that whole taboo thing that you might have
Sometimes they add a bit of cultural flavour to someone's role, nothing more

Last edited by Alessio; 1 Sep 2006 at 08:20.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 09:09   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
I think the intentions of the marketing companies is less about subverting you into social cohesion and much more about not accidentally excluding a segment of society that could buy the product/service.
I don't think he's saying they're doing it so we think we're living in a utopia but for other reasons - which might include desire to sell to the entire market, etc.

Overall though this discussion reminds me of what Michael Moore said in one of his books (I can't remember which) about Friends. A lot of people complained that there were no prominent black characters on Friends but Moore said that this was actually fairly realistic. If you have a group of white middle class friends living in New York then they probably wouldn't have a token black friend, so why bother lying in your TV shows and pretending they do? Same with Seinfeld, although there are a couple of black characters none of them are friends of the main characters in any real sense (I read somewhere that despite being the most popular show in America at one point, Seinfeld wasn't even in the top 50 most popular shows among blacks in the US). So the point is that adverts do try and portray some sort of racial mix (for the reasons you mention, and others) and in doing so often come across as fairly unrealistic.
Quote:
Whats south african television like? Blacks on blondes?!
Africanists are not interested in mixing with European degenerates one would imagine. That seems to be much of a white man fantasy given the market for interracial porn in the US. *shrug*

But no, SA TV shows (especially soaps & adverts) from what I saw seemed to be in complete denial of the economic realities of the country. So a lot of their shows (often with all black casts) don't have any poor people in them whatsoever or even mention their could be poor people. Imagine Dynasty with black actors and where people go from speaking Xhosi to English in every second scene. Where there were white people then there was never any racism (it was a bit like with the white guy in Desmonds).
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 11:33   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can kind of see ASG's point.

I've seen lots of adverts where whites are the only race portrayed (fair enough, seeing as most people in the UK are white).
I've also seen lots of adverts with interaction with whites and other races.
I can't think of any adverts I've seen that portray ONE race (black/asian etc) and no others.

I mean I don't pay much attention to it so I doubt I'd remember it anyway.

A better example of this ludicrous racial equality would be all the exam papers featuring questions now with "Rajdul and Zaaaiiiiiberoo" and noone called any "normal" names, even though most of the UK DO have "normal" names.

Although I do rememeber a Maths question ages ago from when I was doing my GCSEs that featured Mario and Luigi
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 12:03   #22
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

this is the first example I could find but football commentator John Barnes (who is black) probably only has the job because of his skin colour. He most certainly did not get it through his skills as a commentator (he has none) or his footballing credentials (he has none).
Peter Schmeichel was employed as a pundit by the BBC and was truly terrible. David Pleat still commentates and I've never heard him do a decent job, ever. John Barnes is hardly the worst around, so making a race issue out of this seems to be a tad simplistic of you.
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 12:11   #23
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On the other hand, Brad Friedel
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 12:58   #24
All Systems Go

I would like to apologise to any John Barnes fans out there. I was wrong. 100% wrong. I have no idea about the quality of his football punditry and his footballing record is very good. Some of my points regardeing him may be valid but that is pure coincidence.

this was all a simple mix-up.

I was thinking of Robbie Earle. His football career can hardly be said to be dazzling and his punditry is so appaling that it makes me want cut off my ears and douse myself in petrol al-la Resiviour Dogs.
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 16:38   #25
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

I didn't really pay attention to it until this thread. And after thinking about it, I don't think they're forced.

Maybe you never liked people of color that's why it makes you uncomfortable to watch these commercials.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 16:48   #26
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
John Barnes is hardly the worst around
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 18:06   #27
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
"super caley go ballistic celtic are atrocious"?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 18:48   #28
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
"super caley go ballistic celtic are atrocious"?

What's your point?
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 20:59   #29
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
or specifically looking for people based on factors other than talent

In the past the BBC has preferred presenters, announcers and the like with the received pronunciation. Now they're either trying to sell to, serve, or exploit the image of those crazy celts. It's all a load of horseshit really, talent or no talent.

Again I suppose a mediocre programme like EastEnders probably should reflect the mediocrity of life in London's east end, but again the people that are concerned by any lack of correlation here are quite spectacularly missing the point.

Quote:

I'm not sure that this purposeful effort to get more non-white people on tv is a good thing. Sure it's good in the respect that there is more diversity but it seems to be that skin colour is becoming more important than the quality of the person.

What is that the first example of that you could find; a black person with little talent in their chosen field who had denied somebody else the opportunity of filling their position? Speculation that he was 'probably only given the job because of his skin colour' is truly appalling.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 21:02   #30
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ASG is clearly a man who's not heard the Anfield Rap
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 14:52   #31
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephor
What is that the first example of that you could find; a black person with little talent in their chosen field who had denied somebody else the opportunity of filling their position? Speculation that he was 'probably only given the job because of his skin colour' is truly appalling.
I find it very difficult to believe that out of all the retired footballers he (Robbie Earle) was the best one available.

Also, when you have a three man panel (excluding the host) 99.9% of time you have two white guys and a token minority. You don't see all-white panels and you most certainly do not see all-non-white panels.

this is my point. I think that is highly likely that Robbie Earle has his job as to not alienate a large chunk of the population. I would argue that it's more important to appear to be seen as non-racist than have the best man for the job. this can be for reason to do with both the economic and image consequences of having an all-white panel.

Now, this is not some tirade against non-whites coming over here and taknig our jobs or any of that bulshit. I'm not saying I care what colour the panel are, as long as they are competant. I don't think this country will see a entire non-white panel for a very long time and that is a bad thing and demonstrates the unfortunate level that skin colour still permeates British culture today.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 23:18   #32
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Robbie Earle played in an iconic Wimbledon side and the first Jamaican side to qualify for the World Cup, and has since remained in the public eye through a number of media positions. He has the the right CV. It's also worth considering that the talent you're critiqueing is subject to personal taste. Most people don't seem to have a problem with miserable Mark Lawrenson or Ian 'Ingerland' Wright, but they're not my chosen flavour.

Having said that, I can appreciate that it's not inconceivable that Robbie Earle was employed partly because the ITV directors wanted to attract a section of the population that they thought would identify with him. This, however, is the culture we live in and I've no doubt when Robbie is replaced it will be by a man is expected to boost ITV's ratings the most*, whatever that means, rather than the 'best' pundit. It's all part of a greater problem; that we allow our values be defined by, well, everybody. It is unfortunate that everybody has a tendency to be overly concerned by appearance and often finds itself prey to some fairly suspicious beliefs.

Having just re-worded an awful lot of what you have already said, I suppose it's only fair that I should try and pull it all together and explain myself a little. A coherent point is required! Though I think you've hit upon a fairly important topic, I don't think it's fair to corner the race issue independently. If we want to tackle the issue, it'd be best starting afresh rather than trying to fix it within the present system. As is typical of me, I'm not sure I'm able to suggest a suitable approach.

*I've been lead to believe that this is how ITV remains profitable. Beats me.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 01:11   #33
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

and the crims in The Bill are hardly ever black! whatsthatabout?
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote