User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Jan 2008, 14:59   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Computer Network Question

(i thought about putting this in "programming and discussion" but i don't think this fits there)

My girlfriend wants to set up wireless in her home, as she has a laptop but can't get on the net with it.

They've currently got 2 computers (wired) into a router downstairs. The family don't want to mess around with the current router (and frankly, I don't want to - it's piled behind loads of shelves and stuff and it's too much effort).

Is there a way of using a standard wired modem/router, and plugging something into it that then transmits a wireless signal?

I've seen a couple of things that might fit the bill and was wondering if anyone here could give me pointers:
1. This odd thing that plugs into a wall (with a cat5 cable to the router) and then somehow transmits the internet signal around all your plug sockets in the house. Remarkable - is this really what it seems?
2. An access point - so it would just plug into the network socket in the router and then transmit a wireless signal?

Cheers!
(also recommendations on products/prices would be cool if available!)
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 15:55   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Computer Network Question

You will be wanting a wireless access point, if you have a wired router. Throw that into Ebuyer or something and see what comes up - hell, use Amazon, they're all much of a muchness.
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 17:33   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

There are of course many products that will do what you need, but to get you started.

Wireless Routers (Plugs into your existing modem to provide wireless connectivity):
D-Link DI-524
Netgear WG602

Powerline (Allows transmission of data via the household electrical wiring):
D-Link DHP-301
Netgear WGXB102

In my experience though it is often cheaper to buy an all-in-one modem/wireless router.
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 18:53   #4
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Is there a way of using a standard wired modem/router, and plugging something into it that then transmits a wireless signal?

Yes and that's exactly what you need to do. Go buy a wireless router.

I've had no experience with the "powerline" stuff djbass spoke about. That all sounds quite magical.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 00:10   #5
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
1. This odd thing that plugs into a wall (with a cat5 cable to the router) and then somehow transmits the internet signal around all your plug sockets in the house. Remarkable - is this really what it seems?
Yes, it is. I happen to have a router that transmits it's signal through the power sockets of the house. I was also very skeptic about it, but it seems to work, somehow. I didn't want to get a wireless router because I didn't like the idea of sending radiation throughout the house all day and all night. They already warn about cellphones causing cancer, dna-deficits and impotence, so I figured other devices that microwave your house couldn't be that healthy either. It's a good alternative (to ballcancer). As far as I know it's no different from using cables, though I connected it a long time ago and I've always just kept it plugged in, so i'm not entirely sure.

Last edited by Alessio; 7 Jan 2008 at 00:45.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 05:00   #6
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
I didn't like the idea of sending radiation throughout the house all day and all night. They already warn about cellphones causing cancer, dna-deficits and impotence, so I figured other devices that microwave your house couldn't be that healthy either.
Oh for heavens' sake.

Your cellphone puts out anything up to 2W
802.11 routers put out about 1W
You're probably getting more radiation sitting in front of your PC than you will from an 802.11 router, unless you shove it up your arse.

Work with 50kW radars and then start worrying if someone left the power on, but really, don't even start to care about radiation until the Tx power goes above 100W or so.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 05:07   #7
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Keep telling yourself that - if you have a death wish.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 09:54   #8
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Powerline (Allows transmission of data via the household electrical wiring)
Not a great fan of these as they work on the ring networks which are setup in your house so afaik if your modem is plugged in upstairs you cant get a connection downstairs.

I use the WG602 which bass linked above, never had a problem with it. So easy to use my dad could set it up.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 14:42   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
Keep telling yourself that - if you have a death wish.
Yesterday I discovered a lump in my breast so I unplugged my wireless lan. Today it's gone. I'm never using wlan again!
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 15:01   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I had a headache this morning. I thought it was the Guinness from last night punishing my insolence, but now that I know I can blame my wireless LAN I can drink all night, every night and not feel guilty!
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 15:38   #11
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Obviously you have read the answers and any or all of them will work, my concern is more with proliferation of WiFi networks.
I ask myself if WiFi is so safe why have a number of schools in the UK (and elsewhere) had it removed? Why are questions being raised about it's safety if there are no safety issues. No smoke without fire?
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 15:41   #12
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Throw enough mud and some will stick.

Metaphors are fun. They seem to provide evidence when there is none.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:18   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
Obviously you have read the answers and any or all of them will work, my concern is more with proliferation of WiFi networks.
I ask myself if WiFi is so safe why have a number of schools in the UK (and elsewhere) had it removed? Why are questions being raised about it's safety if there are no safety issues. No smoke without fire?
Jews did 9/11.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 18:33   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They probably removed it from schools to stop the little shitheads getting free & easy access to their MSN & myspace.

That aside, the answer to your question is paranoia.

There are endless amounts of electromagnetic radiation bouncing around at any given moment. Light (including that of the sun), magnetic fields, radio/tv, mobile phones, microwaves, infrared, x-rays etc are all examples. Any of these can be potentially harmful with high enough exposure.

The source of some but not all of these are man made, and infact pretty much any metallic object with energy running through it could be considered a source of electromagnetic radiation (including any electrical wiring, lan cables, usb cables, power cords, infact if its metal and has electricity running through it, no matter what voltage, some of that energy is radiated from the metal).

So in short there is no escaping exposure to some kind of radiation. Even if we shut off all electronic devices in the world you would still have natural sources such as the sun and general cosmic radiation.

As I said eariler any of these can be potentially harmful in large enough quantity. Unfortunately electromagnetic radiation from the microwave spectrum tends to get singled out due to its known effects on water molecules at very high energy levels. A microwave oven for example may typically operate at 700 W (700 000 milliwatts), where as your typical WiFi network operates at 0.035 W (35 milliwatts).

That part of the spectrum (2.4Ghz) is not unique to these two technologies, it is also used by bluetooth, some cordless phones, two-way radios, remote controls, wireless video cameras as a few examples. The full microwave spectrum (0-300Ghz) includes services used for some mobile phones and free to air TV reception and in significantly higher power ratings than those used in wireless networking.

The main reason for concerns is purely erring on the side of caution because these are still new technologies and we have not yet had the time to fully access any long term health risks. Consider however that powerful radio transmissions such as FM/AM and TV have existed for a very long time and have demonstrated very little in the way of harmful effects from long term exposure. To date studies done on the short term effects of wireless devices have not yielded evidence to suggest any negative side effects. (WHO Link)

Conclusion? You are far more likely to cook your brain from watching TV or chatting on your mobile than you are from surfing pr0n over a wireless network.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 19:25   #15
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Yes and that's exactly what you need to do. Go buy a wireless router.
I said in my first post that I didnt want to mess around with the existing modem/router setup.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 19:49   #16
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Go get a wireless access point then, like one of these.

Most people will probably prefer an all in one router/switch/wireless/modem thing, but you could always just use a seperate access point and connect it by ethernet to the existing router.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 21:36   #17
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
As djbass said, it's all about paranoia.

"No smoke without fire" is a shit cliche since I could call you mentally ill, then someone else could come along independently and argue for you to be sectioned because "there's no smoke without fire".
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 21:52   #18
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Alessio sounds like the guy who came to work for us straight out of Uni/Masters and was working on a Ph.D

He read a book about Electromagnetic radiation and was concerned with the wide variety of sources. I was discussing it with him one day and mentioned

'Well, even your PC screen is radiating"
"Really?'
"Yes, really"

At this point, a lightbulb went off in my head

"In fact, your monitor looks a little bright, I'd turn in down a bit if I were you"
"OK, Thanks"

I spread the news to the rest of the team, each and every one of them would walk past the guys' desk and comment on the brightness of the monitor.
By the time we got bored of it, the monitor was effectively off and the guy had to squint at the thing with hi snose to the glass in order to read anything.
He probably got more radiation that way than when we started.

Fun days...

Unread 7 Jan 2008, 21:55   #19
Tomkat

Saying "your mobile phone gives out more radiation than your router" doesn't mean much if we still aren't entirely sure of the amount of damage that mobile phones are doing to us...

It's all relative!
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 22:12   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Saying "your mobile phone gives out more radiation than your router" doesn't mean much if we still aren't entirely sure of the amount of damage that mobile phones are doing to us...

It's all relative!
relative to everyone else you are a spastic
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 22:14   #21
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

I cooked a frozen chicken with a RN frigate's radar once. It took about 5seconds.

So, yes, I guess everything's relative, but on a danger scale of one to a hundred, where sitting on top of a radiating AWACS dome is 100, I think a router's emissions come in at around "not much".

Then again, CB radio's are allowed to transmit up to 4Watts, so maybe there's something in it after all...

Unread 7 Jan 2008, 22:16   #22
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
relative to everyone else you are a spastic
Relative to everyone else you are fast becoming (or already have become) the new Sunday8pm.

Desist.

Unread 7 Jan 2008, 22:38   #23
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
So, yes, I guess everything's relative, but on a danger scale of one to a hundred, where sitting on top of a radiating AWACS dome is 100, I think a router's emissions come in at around "not much".
Right, but surely sitting on a radar for 5 seconds can't be compared to sitting next to a router for 8+ hours every day for 5+ years (about 14500 hours) though.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that scoffing at something that we don't have that much information about (in terms of long term effects) is a little silly.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 23:17   #24
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
I said in my first post that I didnt want to mess around with the existing modem/router setup.
i meant plug the access point into your existing setup. thought i didn't mention access point, so my mistake. (incidentally, am i the only one who hates it when people say "my bad"? south park is a tv show, not an english lesson!)
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 06:07   #25
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Right, but surely sitting on a radar for 5 seconds can't be compared to sitting next to a router for 8+ hours every day for 5+ years (about 14500 hours) though.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that scoffing at something that we don't have that much information about (in terms of long term effects) is a little silly.
Aside from the dubious nature of claims of people cooking poultry on radar domes (moreso since the mythbuster guys spent quite a lot of effort attempting just this feat with a frozen turkey, and failed every attempt).

Microwave energy is non-ionising. It does not directly effect the structure or makeup of chemical bonds in molecules. This means that unlike say radioactive materials there is no residual or build up effects from long term exposure, all of the harmful properties come from directly heating water molecules. So if several hours of exposure to minute amounts of microwave energy are unable to have significant heating effects in soft body tissue, on & off exposure over several years is unlikely to result in anything at all.

It should also be noted that when the FCC established the safe allowable levels that devices in this class are allowed to use (anything up to 200mw), they also made sure to allow plenty of legroom for prolonged and excessive exposure.
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 17:17   #26
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

vote for an increase in djbass's post volume.
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 17:20   #27
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Seconded.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 19:24   #28
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Aside from the dubious nature of claims of people cooking poultry on radar domes (moreso since the mythbuster guys spent quite a lot of effort attempting just this feat with a frozen turkey, and failed every attempt).
From looking at the Discovery site and how the Mythbusters tried it, I'm not surprised it didn't work.

Satellites work on receiving energy at tiny levels, which is why you don't need a high power source to get a link with one (Iridium, anyone?) and why the dishes on a truck don't emit anything like the power you'll see on a real radar system.

Anyway, I ate the chicken after it was cooked, and it was lovely. It needed more basting, but switching radars off and on in order to do that was more than the guys I was with were willing to do.

Unread 8 Jan 2008, 19:38   #29
Tomkat

So can we attribute Dead_Meat's unnaturally lengthy life to some sort of super powers he received through radiation...?
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 20:49   #30
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

My unnaturally lengthy life is made possible by the love and respect I feel flowing from GD's users.

Unread 9 Jan 2008, 05:14   #31
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
From looking at the Discovery site and how the Mythbusters tried it, I'm not surprised it didn't work.

Satellites work on receiving energy at tiny levels, which is why you don't need a high power source to get a link with one (Iridium, anyone?) and why the dishes on a truck don't emit anything like the power you'll see on a real radar system.
I'm not that surprised either with most of the tests they did, but one did involve attaching it to the big spinning radar antenna on a navel vessel. I can only assume it is not dissimular to the one you were using.
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 17:04   #32
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

100 ringing mobile phones couldn't fry an egg on brainiac
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 19:58   #33
Tomkat

How many monobrows does it take to fry an egg?

None, but it just takes one to make posts on GD!
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 20:01   #34
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

How mainy hairs does it take to...
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 22:27   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd personally avoid wireless if it's possible.

Not because they'll irradiate your genitalia and lead to your children having the power to-do-anything-a-spider-can, but they just seem to have more problems. Yes, I am aware of wireless connections that never go wrong, but overall there is more scope for connectivity issues which entry level users find difficult to fix. Equipment is no doubt miles better these days, but when I get asked these sorts of questions by colleagues I tend to give them a bit of RJ45 cable. If nothing else, if a cable is five metres long people tend to realise their connection range is about 5m. With wireless connections, people expect them to work between any two points even when said points are several miles apart and divided by lead shielded concrete barriers.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 13:03   #36
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I'd personally avoid wireless if it's possible.

Not because they'll irradiate your genitalia and lead to your children having the power to-do-anything-a-spider-can, but they just seem to have more problems. Yes, I am aware of wireless connections that never go wrong, but overall there is more scope for connectivity issues which entry level users find difficult to fix. Equipment is no doubt miles better these days, but when I get asked these sorts of questions by colleagues I tend to give them a bit of RJ45 cable. If nothing else, if a cable is five metres long people tend to realise their connection range is about 5m. With wireless connections, people expect them to work between any two points even when said points are several miles apart and divided by lead shielded concrete barriers.
I'm working with a customer that expects exactly that.

Different technology, same dumb attitude

"You said it would work with these units within a mile of the basestation"
"Yes, but we're in the cellar"
"So? We're only half a mile away"
"In a lead-lined coffin?"
"Switched off?"
"**** you"

Unread 10 Jan 2008, 13:29   #37
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like wireless because I tend to snap the end of the wire so it never clicks into place.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 14:43   #38
Mzyxptlk
mz.

People who do that need to [strike]die[/strike] be smacked around a bit. This joke would be marginally better if those tags actually existed.