User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Oct 2007, 00:20   #1
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Its things like this that make me wish i was still a student :(

Along with the general halfarsed attitude to everything ofc

Microsoft office for £38.95 (rrp~£600)

academic email address (.ac.uk) and student id required.

Mother****ers!
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 00:22   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Its things like this that make me wish i was still a student :(

MS Office isnt an especially good program imo (Excel excluded) and you could just as easily use one of the older editions which do the exact same stuff only with less bloat and awful user interface design issues (lol ribbon lol).
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 02:25   #3
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

£600 what the ****?

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 03:08   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
£600 what the ****?
I assume they make most of their profits selling it to businesses rather than individuals.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 03:19   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I thought this was going to be a thread about binge drinking or lax sexual morals among female students. But instead it's a good deal on Office? WTF is wrong with you?

Having said that, if you have some retarded views on downloading software but were still a cheap **** then you could probably look at the economics of registering to be a student again. I registered months ago to do some Open University course. Although it's only one module so far, costing £300 or something (which my work paid for) I've been receiving crappy literature on software deals for a while. I think I also get a .ac.uk email address too.

(although if any individual is spending £600 on Office for non-business use they're a ****ing spastic)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 05:14   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

50,25 euro over here in Holland. Including Vista Business it's 83,50 euro.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 06:44   #7
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

hey I could get the student discount
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 10:27   #8
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

i'm missing the MSDNAA more than anything, where Microsoft GIVE you software / os's for free.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 10:39   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I got it back in september. They dont give you a dvd ( despite claiming theres an option for it ) but you can download the thing and they email you the product key for it.
£39 is better then £600 - so thats why i got it, despite the 'ribbon' being nasty. Its a perpetual license too so i can keep on using it after i graduate
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 10:40   #10
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I thought this was going to be a thread about binge drinking or lax sexual morals among female students. But instead it's a good deal on Office? WTF is wrong with you?
As you get older these things matter more and more.

Has anyone tried google docs?
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 10:58   #11
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i realised recently that I don't use Word, Excel or Powerpoint at home at all since finishing Uni.

If I'm doing work then it will be on my work laptop which has everything installed.

I installed openoffice at home just in case I need it but to be honest Wordpad would do the job for most stuff I do.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 11:14   #12
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

Here I was thinking I'd find some kind of site with 'hot college girls' that 'get down on eachother and everybody else' at some college party or something.
I'm dissapointed

Seriously, if a good deal on software is the best reason you can come up with to go back to college you should do your college time over again and do it right this time.

Also, here at my work I get all sorts of software (including office and windows OS) for "free".
No 'hot college girls' or even 'naughty secretary's (if that's the correct word for females that do secretary jobs) around here tho.

*edit* Or just: what dante said.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 12:19   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
hey I could get it free from the internet
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 14:01   #14
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
Me too!
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 14:31   #15
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

People pay for software? :S

I guess Bill Gates needs the money afterall
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 16:01   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can buy the Student/Teacher edition for less than £100 (it has 3 copies) from places like WHSmith, iirc... (you don't need a .ac.uk address or anything like that)
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 22:07   #17
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I got the full version for £17
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 22:52   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
As you get older these things matter more and more.

Has anyone tried google docs?
Assuming this quesiton isn't rhetorical, I have (although not collabaratively, which I'm guessing is half the point). It's all just not quite good enough to use for "serious" use, although I'm not sure what use the office applications have anyway in the longer term.

Word seems best suited for letter writing and doesn't do much else that well -and for a lot of things people use it for people would be better off learning a DTP program in the long run. Powerpoint is responsible for a great deal of pain and suffering, and Access is rapidly approaching the point where I can see no legitimate market for it. It's too unwieldly for a regular user to use without understanding something about databases and if you're doing anything even approaching serious why wouldn't you use some sort of MySQL/PostgreSQL or even SQL Server Express variants?

So you've got Excel and Outlook. Outlook is genuinely useful in terms of email / calendar sharing which integrates reasonably well with itself and the windows shell. In time I can't see a web application not replacing it (even if it's just a better version of Windows Outlook Live). Increasingly I'm unsure whether email is a very good tool for a lot of business use.

Excel I both love and hate, I still use it daily for simple data manipulation tasks or quickly doing some sort of maths doodling for budgets and that sort of thing, but (a bit like Access) it seems to encourage unmanagable messes by reducing the barriers to entry to almost nothing. So you get quasi-systems being built by linking together dozens of excel files together, over different drives with absolutley no discipline in any naming conventions, data formats or...well anything really. It's not Excel's fault that users are shit, but it hardly helps by half-doing a bunch of things they should be doing elsewhere.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 00:10   #19
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

i got the full version for free
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 03:06   #20
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ITT we brag about how cheaply we managed to buy or otherwise acquire software.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 12:19   #21
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It seems a bit of a waste to start a new thread for this, seeing as its software related and all but anyone who claims Macs are better than PCs should be exterminated, along with any offspring they may have produced.

There seems to be an abundance of them here and fa fewer PCs so this post is made from a Mac. If an international monopoly is the price to pay for ridding the world of this eveil then I say Bill Gates should buy the world.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 12:34   #22
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Thought you became a student to get money for food, not software.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 12:44   #23
All Systems Go

You become a student to become poor. Any 'special offers' are simply to ensure your pittance goes to one multinational corporation instead of another.

When a paedo offers children sweets, it isn't for the long-term benefit of the child.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 14:35   #24
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Well.

I still don't get what's so great about Excel. I guess it can be a nice lightweight version of better programs.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 14:36   #25
Nodrog

I used to be sceptical towards Excel but I changed my mind over the summer after seeing what could be efficiently done using it by my workmate who was pretty much a genius at it and used it intensively.

There are few legitimate reasons to use Word or Powerpoint unless youre scared of computers though, and none at all to use Access.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 14:43   #26
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
You become a student to become poor. Any 'special offers' are simply to ensure your pittance goes to one multinational corporation instead of another.

When a paedo offers children sweets, it isn't for the long-term benefit of the child.
What the hell are you babbling on about?

People go to university for three main reasons: to be educated on a specific subject, to help them get a graduate job in the future and/or to involve themselves in university social life.

And guess what Sherlock, it costs money to live. Nothing in this world comes for free.

Companies giving you special offers is a mutually-beneficial arrangement, and I've never seen it suggested otherwise. They want your custom, they want you to spend your money on other things that they sell as well as the good that has the special offer.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 15:01   #27
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I used to be sceptical towards Excel but I changed my mind over the summer after seeing what could be efficiently done using it by my workmate who was pretty much a genius at it and used it intensively.
What was he doing with it then?
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 15:32   #28
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I just tried to order a copy of it, when clicking submit it spewed some java error at me and then timed out

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 15:33   #29
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Thought you became a student to get money for food, not software.
One of the perks of being a student is the discounts you can gain.

The NUS card for example is a powerful tool in the hands of a student.

Unread 2 Oct 2007, 16:45   #30
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

He complained about not having money, and he thus decided to become a student so he
Quote:
Did not have to live on the streets

He aparently has done this now, and even though discounts are nice for students, I fail to see why he would buy software with the money he doesn't have (much of) instead of housing and food.

Unread 2 Oct 2007, 16:53   #31
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
He aparently has done this now, and even though discounts are nice for students, I fail to see why he would buy software with the money he doesn't have (much of) instead of housing and food.
You're completely missing the point of student life.

Unread 2 Oct 2007, 18:18   #32
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Apparently I might be a bit old fashioned and still believe you should study to become something useful and get a positive cash flow

Unread 2 Oct 2007, 18:37   #33
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pretty much anything Access can do, Excel can do better (unless you're dealing with gigantic amounts of data). I hate Access and really don't see the point in teaching it at all at GCSE or A-level ICT.

I still use Word and Powerpoint quite a bit, but then my job is a lot different to other jobs so it's to be expected.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 18:52   #34
Nodrog

Quote:
Apparently I might be a bit old fashioned and still believe you should study to become something useful and get a positive cash flow
This isnt old fashion its a stupid modern idea.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 19:15   #35
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Pretty much anything Access can do, Excel can do better (unless you're dealing with gigantic amounts of data)
This is pretty much entirely wrong.

And you'd all be surprised at how often Access gets used in the wild. Ok, probably not that surprised, but still. If you can knock me up a data-driven application with user-level access control that generates reports I can print without writing a line of code in Excel then you go nuts.

Edit:
Not defending Access for almost anything that it actually gets used for

Edit #2: You teach ICT?
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 19:21   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Pretty much anything Access can do, Excel can do better (unless you're dealing with gigantic amounts of data).
As much as I dislike Access, I'd dispute this point. Lots of tasks benefit from a relational model, which tends to be easier to setup in Access. Although it's still evil, obviously.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 19:56   #37
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the best spreadsheet software is something i am ignorant of.

i would need to ask my secretary
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 20:04   #38
All Systems Go

Quote:
He complained about not having money, and he thus decided to become a student so he .

Where did I say I was buying software?
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 20:15   #39
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Where did I say I was buying software?
stop it. darling darling darling ... DO NOT let such a non entity "play you"
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 23:15   #40
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
You teach ICT?
Yes.

I've never found a single use for Access. Maybe in programming or something it's used, but I've never encountered it anywhere I've worked (doing temp work in offices or whatever).

As far as database software goes, there's better stuff out there, surely? And for anything less, Excel serves me just fine. I love Excel
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 23:42   #41
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Pretty much anything Access can do, Excel can do better (unless you're dealing with gigantic amounts of data). I hate Access and really don't see the point in teaching it at all at GCSE or A-level ICT.
Excel is not a database. Yes you can probably get away with using Excel for small amounts of data, but you should at least understand the importance, the power and the flexibility of using a real database.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 23:48   #42
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
you should at least understand the importance, the power and the flexibility of using a real database.
Why?

Surely it's something you can come to learn by doing Computing or similar at college/university.
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 06:38   #43
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the words "importance", "power" and "flexibility" should answer your question.

P.S. But yes, it seems pointless to teach Access to 15yo's, considering how 95% will probably never even open the program after they're done.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 10:14   #44
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Teaching Access probably isn't necessary but the logical processes involved in database schema design are probably useful and more readily demonstrable with something like Access than just a whiteboard
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 12:31   #45
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Why?

Surely it's something you can come to learn by doing Computing or similar at college/university.
Yes, but they dont teach you access because lets face it, access sucks for most things.
they teach you sql and relational database theory so you can use it on multiple *proper* database systems. They might be doing MDX sometime soon too so thats something excel and access wont support at all
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 12:40   #46
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Teaching Access probably isn't necessary but the logical processes involved in database schema design are probably useful and more readily demonstrable with something like Access than just a whiteboard
Fair point.
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 15:58   #47
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

It may be something specific to the Australian MS products, but here you can still purchase Academic editions as long as it is for private home use.
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 16:26   #48
All Systems Go

Quote:
Why?

What exactly do you teach?
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 16:42   #49
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

people pay for microsoft products? you ****ing muppets.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 16:48   #50
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Yes.

I've never found a single use for Access. Maybe in programming or something it's used, but I've never encountered it anywhere I've worked (doing temp work in offices or whatever).

As far as database software goes, there's better stuff out there, surely? And for anything less, Excel serves me just fine. I love Excel
Access is good for simple/home/personal databases. Excel, as far as I've worked/programmed it, sucks at creating relations between data. It'll do the job of making a list of your music collection just fine, but don't make it (much) more complex.

Also, Access is usable as database backend for simple applications. You can use it without having Access installed by simply installing some JET database driver and something else that you can download from MS.
And in my opinions Access' drag'n'drop editor is nice for teaching people how relational databases are built up.

But anyway, to get back to the original point, who needs MS Office? Surely the only remotely usefull and hard to replace thing in there is Outlook. In my opinion it's much better than Thunderbird. And for writing documents at home OpenOffice will do the job just fine.