User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 May 2007, 09:42   #1
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Radio 1's Ten Hour Takeover

There was a load of hype about this over the last week. I didn't really care though, but since Radio 1 turns on automatically every morning at 7.30 to wake me up, I've been forced to listen to it.

Now if someone can explain to me why Dick & Dom have got the morning show, I'd be incredibly grateful. BECAUSE THEY'RE SHIT. I COULD DO THIS BETTER THAN THEM.

They don't even have a show on Radio 1 normally - so who decided that they should get the breakfast slot?? They don't queue up tracks properly, they announce on air how long it's taking them to find requested tracks instead of searching for it while the previous song is on - it's a travesty of radio.

To add to all this, they sound like a pair of hyperactive bunnies on speed. If there was an opportunity to punch them in the face right now I would take it with a big smile on my face.

The rest of the day's lineup ranges from mediocre to competent - Chappers & Dave, Edith Bowman, JK & Joel. At least they know what they're doing - have Dick & Dom done a radio show before? You wouldn't have thought so listening to them.

This is enough to make me turn to local commercial radio
Unread 28 May 2007, 09:55   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Radio 1's Ten Hour Takeover

oh dear me. who let them on
they're picking songs to play when someone dies from the sound of it now from requests :/
Unread 28 May 2007, 09:57   #3
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I assume you're referring to Fall Out Boy - Thnks fr th Mmrs? (thanks for the memories)

It's a good song, I'm just waiting for Dick & Dom to **** OFF THE RADIO YOU USELESS ****S.
Unread 28 May 2007, 09:59   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

indeed.
they're playing sodding ant and dec ( pj & duncan ) now :/
Unread 28 May 2007, 10:25   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why on earth would you listen to Radio 1?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2007, 10:29   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Why on earth would you listen to Radio 1?
because in most of the country there are no local radio stations which even approach tolerable and not everyone enjoys Radio 2/Radio 4/trying to get a good MW signal?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2007, 10:41   #7
furball

Er nod, Deffeh got there first with a rant.

And what Phang said - Red Dragon is complete shite, for example. Don't get me started on Essex FM

From nearly two years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Chris Moyles has become a complete twat. I used to find him funny but now he just takes every single ****ing thing too ****ing far. Anything beats Sara "I'm a mate of Zoe Ball" Cox though.

Jo Whiley is quite funny and plays what I consider decent music.

I like Colin Murray and Edith Bowman. I know that most people don't agree with me. However, I find their relationship with each other funny and quite endearing. I hated Celebrity Fame Acadamy for its entire concept, but I enjoyed Colin Murray being genuinely happy for her when she won it.

Radio 1 does get exclusives that other stations don't do. The Coldplay gig made up for me not being able to go to their December gigs in London, and for that I am eternally grateful.

The rest of Radio 1 is pretty crap. The Sunday Surgery. Every evening/night-time DJ (especially that **** Spoony) is shit. If Zane Lowe grated any more, you could rub cheese against him and sprinkle it on a pizza. But when your alternative is Essex FM, I know which one I'm choosing.
Moyles has improved considerably. Jo Whiley remains irritating and shit. Edith now does that show on her own, it's alright but I haven't listened for a while. Scott Mills does the best show. Somehow Sara Cox is still allowed on the radio, and no she hasn't got any better. Still don't listen to evening shows, but a decent mp3 collection stops that from being a problem. I've put on Five Live a few times recently, fills a hole nicely.
Unread 28 May 2007, 10:57   #8
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Zane is the ultimate workplace motivator with his enthusiasm for anything.
Unread 28 May 2007, 11:32   #9
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Chris Moyles is alright, can't get enough of his outgoing track though.
Colin and Edith have suffered due to their separation.
Sara Cox is still alive.
Joe Whiley is pretty decent, she has the Live Lounge.
Zane Lowe is too entusiastic about ever band. this is good if a band you like are on there, but when he's raving about hardcore dance rap death thrash metal, you kind of lose interest.

the music is uniformly terrible and far too repetitive.

I've not heard Dick ad Dom on the radio, but they are fairly entertaining Saturday morning presenters. Or they were when I was up that early on a Saturday, which was a few years go now.

I think Fearne Cotton is good* and sometimes stands in for Sara Cox, which just makes listening to Sara Cox far easier on the ears. Reggie (her childrens tv co-host) is tolerable, but he seems to suffer from the same problem all black radio DJs do. He talks like he just stepped out of the Ghetto.

But hey, at they're no Westwood.

*read: fit
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2007, 12:37   #10
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Chris Moyles is good. Overpaid? Yes. But why should you care? After all, he's being rewarded for pulling in the listeners. I'd listen to him than any other DJ playing a breakfast show in the same station (Scott Mills is just not cool) or elsewhere.

Jo Whiley sounds just as terrible as Lauren Laverne but plays decent music.

I gave up with Sara Cox.

Colin and Edith suffered because of the split.

Zane Lowe gets an orgasm over every band he reckons is awesome which is quite annoying. I do like everything that he plays though.

JK & Joel, I never had the opportunity to listen to their shows (since it's just the Countdown).

Fearne and Reggie, I never bother. They're awful and I don't listen to the breakfast radio on the weekends.

Vernon Kay is good at times and shocking at other times after Reggie and Fearne.

Trevor Nelson should retire.

Westwood should die.

I used to listen to The Rock Show when it was at an earlier slot back in the days.

I don't listen to all of the evening shows (I don't have the time) but when I do, I quite enjoy them too. It doesn't matter if it's Bobby Friction and Nihal (asian music) or Ras Kwame (he plays good music as I'm a fan of UK Black music (I just get the podcast)) or Mike Davies (with the Punk Show).

But today's radio (Dick & Dom and now Chappers and Dave) is just death to my ears.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2007, 12:49   #11
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

radio is for losers
Unread 28 May 2007, 12:51   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Westwood should die.
Amen, sister.

Noone's yet mentioned Annie Nightingale, whose show is the only thing I listen to on Radio 1 beyond the Chris Moyles podcast. I did used to enjoy (read: love, adore, obsess over) Annie Mac but her new Friday show is utter toss.
Unread 28 May 2007, 14:23   #13
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Manchester's pretty fortunate to have Xfm as a decent alternative. Less idle chatter, more music. And not the same 10 tracks on repeat.
Unread 28 May 2007, 14:44   #14
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the Manic Street Preachers are championing the battle to bring XFM to South Wales.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 28 May 2007, 15:12   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

2 years on and you're still listening to the ****ing station even after reading my awesome thread. a couple of points.

1/ What a great deffeh thread

2/ I lolled so hard when i saw recently that colin murray has been reduced to doing a game show on channel five. finally found his level

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2007, 15:35   #16
furball

Colin Murray now does an evening show. It's shit.
Unread 28 May 2007, 16:03   #17
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As an aside there is test match special on listen to that

The best radio show of all time and you shun it
Unread 28 May 2007, 16:08   #18
furball

I'm listening to Five Live for Derby-West Brom, no complaints about TMS either.
Unread 28 May 2007, 16:24   #19
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Manchester's pretty fortunate to have Xfm as a decent alternative. Less idle chatter, more music. And not the same 10 tracks on repeat.
i dunno man, I listened to XFM in London for about 30 minutes to see if they played good music (everyone keeps going on about XFM) and they played no more than three songs in the 30 minutes that I listened, I felt like crying and changed to Capital FM (yes, really mainstream but at least the presenters are semi interesting and you get to hear more music than inane idle chat)

That said, after reading more positive stuff here about XFM, I might try to listen to it again to see if it's better during the day.
Unread 28 May 2007, 16:30   #20
lokken
BlueTuba

anything with adverts is just not getting on my radio, unless it is the pompey commentary.
Unread 28 May 2007, 16:46   #21
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't listen to radio 1 between the hours of 6am-4pm. It is a truly horrible station.

Chris Moyles is terrible. Just not funny. I have gone past the age of caring about what some fat yorkshire twat cares about in life. His jokes aren't funny, his choice of music is shit and the people on his show or boring and make you want to cut yourself.

But he has been very very clever. The thing about listening to Chris Moyles is that it is some what cliquey. You either love him or hate him, which actually transpires into you either listen to him or you dont. At this place I worked at a few years ago there were a few colleagues who would listen to radio 1 in the car on their way to work. Every morning they would have the same conversation about the shit that moyles et al churned out.

It's a bit like Big Brother. If you don't watch it, it's shit. We all know it's shit and as far as entertainment goes it isn't great. But we also don't want to be excluded from the clique that talk about it at the office.

Closest thing to this that I can think of is smoking. Especially when the ban comes in, when people go outside for a cigarette, you will wonder what they are talking about. You will want to be part of the conversation. Of course I am not saying that you should take up smoking, but a couple of times it will cross your mind that you should endure the smoke, the cold etc just so you can be part of the conversation.

As far as radio one goes I listen to two shows. I listen to Scott Mills if I am ever travelling etc and I quite like listening to pete tong on a friday night before I go out, he pumps me up for the weekend.

I actually listen to a local radio station in the mornings.

It's called Heart FM. I listen to this because the presenters are actually decent at what they do. They don't chat for to long, easy on the ears and play a good variety of easy listening music.

Ye sure it might be shit in some peoples eyes but I enjoy it. It's still far better than radio 1.
Unread 28 May 2007, 17:14   #22
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I quite like listening to pete tong

You are a terrible human being. Fact.
Unread 28 May 2007, 17:21   #23
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
You are a terrible human being. Fact.
Pete Tong is a fantastic DJ, I really like to listen to some Funky House before going out on a friday night, it psyches me up.

iirc deffehs thread from 2005, you said you like Chris Moyles...
Unread 28 May 2007, 17:35   #24
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
iirc deffehs thread from 2005, you said you like Chris Moyles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Younger Self
I quite enjoy Colin and Edith and Chris Moyles (although i'm never up early enough to listen to him). the selection of music is appaling and they do perpetuate the drinking culture as a good thing.
It's hardly an outstanding recommendation. As DJs go, he doesn't make me want to kill someone so he's one of the better ones. But in the world of the world of the blind, the one eye man is etc etc...
Unread 28 May 2007, 17:51   #25
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
II actually listen to a local radio station in the mornings.
I've never actually listened to Heart in the morning, I tend just to flick to it in the hope a good song might be on*. I'll have a listen sometime though, wouldn't take much to outdo the other brum stations!

I only ever get into a routine with radio when I'm commuting by car anyway, which is rare.

*Unlikely.
Unread 28 May 2007, 18:38   #26
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwtmc
I've never actually listened to Heart in the morning, I tend just to flick to it in the hope a good song might be on*. I'll have a listen sometime though, wouldn't take much to outdo the other brum stations!

I only ever get into a routine with radio when I'm commuting by car anyway, which is rare.

*Unlikely.
Same here, I just don't really listen to the radio and when I do I swap around. I like to find a station that plays music on a regular basis, the presenters are warm and slightly comic and on a whole it makes the journey go quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG
It's hardly an outstanding recommendation. As DJs go, he doesn't make me want to kill someone so he's one of the better ones. But in the world of the world of the blind, the one eye man is etc etc...
Sorry are you saying that Chris Moyles is a better DJ than Pete Tong.

I am not a fan of say Zane Lowes music, but I would go and watch him play a set (and indeed I have) because he is such a fantastic DJ. Chris moyles plays a good jingle and can press a button or two but thats about as far as his djing skills go.

I guess it's a bit like say someone who supports Chelsea (Chris Moyles). They win all the time (get the most ratings), have the biggest budget (if he wanted to moyles could and has done road trips to the USA) and people with no taste, passion or a sense of individuality supports them (hey you are merely a sheep if you listen to moyles, am i right deffeh)

Compare it to someone who say supports Arsenal (Pete Tong). They play beautiful football, they have their following, loyal fans, constantly reinventing themselves, and everyone knows that push come to shove if it was a contest of who can play the better football (in terms of sexy football etc) they would win.

Of course it's not a contest of sexy football. It's a contest of the same old, tired, worn out format that although it works, is horrible and doesn't recognise the use of beautiful football.
Unread 28 May 2007, 18:55   #27
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Chris Moyles is the only DJ (with perhaps the exception of Annie Nightingale and some of the other low-key players in the early hours of the morning) on Radio 1 I will happily listen to. He's been excellent since I used to listen to him on the way to school, about 10 years ago.

Scott Mills is a twat. "Flirt Divert" alone makes him a terrible person.

The only reason I would listen to Radio 1 is to hear some new music or to find out what's in the charts. I don't think I've listened to the radio at all this year though.
Unread 28 May 2007, 18:56   #28
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

(also how on earth can you compare football teams to pop DJs )
Unread 28 May 2007, 18:58   #29
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig, emphasis mine
I guess it's a bit like say someone who supports Chelsea (Chris Moyles). They win all the time (get the most ratings), have the biggest budget (if he wanted to moyles could and has done road trips to the USA) and people with no taste, passion or a sense of individuality supports them (hey you are merely a sheep if you listen to moyles, am i right deffeh)
NO TRUE SCOTSMAN!

Why should you get to decide what people should like or dislike? To quote from the last version of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I don't see the appeal of many of the things that the majority of Britons seem to. That doesn't mean that the rest of the country is being deluded into thinking these things are good. Just because someone likes something that is popular doesn't make that thing automatically crap. And it doesn't make those people who like it sheep. If it does then every person who likes Ricky Gervais or Peter Kay is a trend following retard.
Unread 28 May 2007, 18:59   #30
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Scott Mills is a twat. "Flirt Divert" alone makes him a terrible person.
Why exactly? I think it's been one of the funniest features of his show.
Unread 28 May 2007, 19:24   #31
Tomkat

Quote:
Why exactly? I think it's been one of the funniest features of his show.
I'll paint you a picture!

You go out into town with a few friends and go to a few bars. Now you aren't being particularly responsible with your drinking, and end up quite tipsy.

At some point in the evening you meet a nice young lady and chat to her for a while. You think things are going pretty well with her. As much as you like her, you'd like to meet her sober and aren't just chatting to her with the aim of getting a one-night stand. She seems to feel the same way so you ask her for her number. She gives it to you and you go away, feeling confident and proud of yourself.

The next morning, you wake up feeling happy and eager to meet this girl again. You'd got on so well the night before, so why not ring her and ask her on a date?

You put off the phonecall. What if she doesn't answer? What if she isn't as nice as you thought? You finally sum up the courage to contact her though, after planning the conversation over in your head about 20 times, and ask her if she'd like to go for a drink.

You get the voicemail after ringing. Never mind, if you leave a message she'll know that you're interested and that the ball is in her court. With any luck she'll call back and you can go on that date.

2-3 days later and no answer. She obviously wasn't that interested. Never mind, you might see her out again with any luck. Then you turn on Radio 1, and Scott Mills is laughing at his hilarious Flirt Divert feature.

You hear a familiar voice coming from the radio.

"Hi there Debbie, it's uhm... It's Mark here. We met last night, if you remember! Haha. I hope you guys had a good night! Well look, if you fancy meeting up for a drink or something at some point, then give me a call back. I look forward to hearing from you! Take care, bye!"

You stare into space for what seems like 10 minutes, unable to believe that that just happened. That girl who you'd been chatting to for 20 minutes or so had thought that you were such a loser that she'd actively given you a false number and thought you deserved to be humiliated on national radio. She was so unimpressed by you and thinks you're such a twat that she decided to do this to you.

THAT'S why it's a terrible game.
Unread 28 May 2007, 19:41   #32
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
because in most of the country there are no local radio stations which even approach tolerable and not everyone enjoys Radio 2/Radio 4/trying to get a good MW signal?
I hope you arent seriously defending listening to Chris Moyles or Edith Bowman.

Dont you people have mp3 players? Even if not, silence is preferable to terrible music and chav banter.

edit: calling these people 'DJs' is ridiculous.

Last edited by Nodrog; 28 May 2007 at 19:49.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:01   #33
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I hope you arent seriously defending listening to Chris Moyles or Edith Bowman.
The music isn't good, the presenters are twats, but enough is happening that it's something of a distraction and none of the daytime R1 DJs are actually distractingly annoying.
Quote:
Dont you people have mp3 players?
Not that works.
Quote:
Even if not, silence is preferable to terrible music and chav banter.
on the tube, yes. in the car, no. in a hairdressers or shop, no. in a small office, no. in the background when you're getting up to go to work, no.
Quote:
edit: calling these people 'DJs' is ridiculous.
unless you apply any commonly accepted definition of the term
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:06   #34
Nodrog

Quote:
The music isn't good, the presenters are twats
This is all that needs to be said really, I dont understand why you would choose to listen to something that you freely admit is crap just becuase it fills up your sound space.

Quote:
.unless you apply any commonly accepted definition of the term
Being a DJ involves some modicum of talent and training. Very few of these people would have any idea how to go about creating a set which would satisfy hardened clubbers; their shows largely consist of playing tracks from a pre-determined playlist given to them by the station organisers. Most of them would probably burst into tears if you gave them a set of turntables and asked them to do something interseting. Putting Chris Moyles or Edith Bowman in the same class as a good club DJ is silly, and trying to compare them to decent hip-hop DJs/turntablists is just so ridiculous it makes me want to weep. Pushing a few buttons to play tracks which someone else has selected does not make you a DJ.

They are radio presenters/entertainers who happen to play songs every now and then.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:15   #35
furball

Quote:
Being a DJ involves some modicum of talent and training. Very few of these people would have any idea how to go about creating a set which would satisfy hardened clubbers; their shows largely consist of playing tracks from a pre-determined playlist given to them by the station organisers. Most of them would probably burst into tears if you gave them a set of turntables and asked them to do something interseting. Putting Chris Moyles or Edith Bowman in the same class as a good club DJ is silly, and trying to compare them to decent hip-hop DJs/turntablists is just so ridiculous it makes me want to weep.

They are radio presenters/entertainers who happen to play songs every now and then.
The word DJ is an umbrella term that applies to both daytime radio presenters and club DJs, although obviously it's better applied to the latter.

It's incredibly difficult to be a top radio presenter and it's not until you work in some form of radio that you can truly understand that. A lot goes into radio shows - you can never turn up unprepared if you want to hold onto listeners - and you can't afford to make mistakes, ever. You need to be creative enough to come up with good ideas for links (the time between tracks) and to have decent features. You need to be organised so that you don't overrun your slots and can fit everything in - e.g. news on the hour and half-hour, adverts set for designated times, etc.

No, I doubt most daytime radio presenters can use turntables to any respectable degree. On the other hand, most club DJs would, to use your metaphor, burst into tears if they were asked to present a 2-3 hour radio show. It's two very different skills and as soon as you realise that the word DJ is simply being used incorrectly, you might understand that.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:19   #36
Nodrog

Quote:
It's incredibly difficult to be a top radio presenter and it's not until you work in some form of radio that you can truly understand that. A lot goes into radio shows - you can never turn up unprepared if you want to hold onto listeners - and you can't afford to make mistakes, ever. You need to be creative enough to come up with good ideas for links (the time between tracks) and to have decent features. You need to be organised so that you don't overrun your slots and can fit everything in - e.g. news on the hour and half-hour, adverts set for designated times, etc.
I've no doubt hes got a demanding job; very few people could do what Chris Moyles does. However the difficult part of his job isnt being a DJ, its being able to entertain listeners with banter. The actual music-related aspect of his job is trivial, which is why I think it makes more sense to call him a presenter/entertainer than a DJ.

Quote:
It's incredibly difficult to be a top radio presenter
Depends what you mean by 'top'. If you mean listening figures, then sure. But if youre a radio presenter at a station which is mainly about actual music rather than inane banter, then the 'features and links' aspect of the job becomes a lot less important.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:22   #37
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I didn't know people listened to the radio except for sports commentary and because they have no cd's in the car.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:26   #38
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Depends what you mean by 'top'. If you mean listening figures, then sure. But if youre a radio presenter at a station which is mainly about actual music rather than inane banter, then the 'features and links' aspect of the job becomes a lot less important.
if you're at a station that's mainly about music, links have to be either really ****ing good or really ****ing subdued because otherwise your listeners do shell out on mp3 players.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:31   #39
Nodrog

Quote:
if you're at a station that's mainly about music, links have to be either really ****ing good or really ****ing subdued because otherwise your listeners do shell out on mp3 players.
Huh? On the rare occassions I listen to music radio, its to hear new music. So the most important thing is that the presenter has good taste and is likely to play something interesting. Links dont really matter; a bit of talking is fine as long as it's both worthwhile and music-related, but ultimately they just need to state the track name and artist, and give some background about it. Theres not really any competition with an mp3 player - an mp3 player is generally about hearing stuff you already know about, whereas radio is about hearing new things.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:40   #40
All Systems Go

Quote:
whereas radio is about hearing new things.
Oh Nog, you and your nieve optimism.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:45   #41
Nodrog

I specifically said that was for me, I'm well aware that isnt why most people listen to the radio (especially radio 1).
Unread 28 May 2007, 21:02   #42
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Huh? On the rare occassions I listen to music radio, its to hear new music. So the most important thing is that the presenter has good taste and is likely to play something interesting. Links dont really matter; a bit of talking is fine as long as it's both worthwhile and music-related, but ultimately they just need to state the track name and artist, and give some background about it. Theres not really any competition with an mp3 player - an mp3 player is generally about hearing stuff you already know about, whereas radio is about hearing new things.
You ever listen to any of Gilles Peterson's show? I know it's Radio 1 and all but he did, at least once, used to run a brilliant weekly show of obscure 'world-wide' music.
Unread 28 May 2007, 23:55   #43
Tomkat

Quote:
I specifically said that was for me, I'm well aware that isnt why most people listen to the radio (especially radio 1).
It's why I listen to radio 1. It's the only reason - to hear new songs by artists I like but might not otherwise hear about (especially since I no longer download music*).

*although am considering changing this on June 1st as I want to listen to bands/artists playing at Glastonbury so I have a better idea of who I want to listen to (and will know their songs rather than be listening to them for the first time)
Unread 28 May 2007, 23:55   #44
All Systems Go

Quote:
It's why I listen to radio 1. It's the only reason - to hear new songs by artists I like but might not otherwise hear about (especially since I no longer download music*).

*although am considering changing this on June 1st as I want to listen to bands/artists playing at Glastonbury so I have a better idea of who I want to listen to (and will know their songs rather than be listening to them for the first time)
Why not?
Unread 29 May 2007, 01:01   #45
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

i listen to radio 1 because i don't like adverts
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2007, 01:14   #46
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:

o man tomkat man you should go see these dudez at Glasto
Unread 29 May 2007, 18:18   #47
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
I'll paint you a picture!

[cut]

THAT'S why it's a terrible game.
That's bollocks. They only play the message if it is funny, i.e. the guy makes a complete arse out of himself or sounds freaky, they don't do it for your average 'i enjoyed last night, did you want to get a drink some time?' call.

Also if you remember the number, or text, or don't be such a fanny on the phone, then you wont have this problem.
Unread 29 May 2007, 19:02   #48
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
That's bollocks. They only play the message if it is funny, i.e. the guy makes a complete arse out of himself or sounds freaky, they don't do it for your average 'i enjoyed last night, did you want to get a drink some time?' call.
I'll embellish the story a little for your benefit.

In the middle of your chat with the girl, you find you remember a silly program you used to watch when you were kids. It's the old chestnut of chatting about Kid's TV programs. You say that she reminds you of one of the characters, and do an impression of that character. You call her by that name.

On the phonecall the next day, anxious she should remember you, you put on the silly voice for part of the recording. Noone else will hear it, and you're confident she'll remember it as she seemed to laugh at the impression and enjoy it.

Then that recording on Flirt Divert comes on, and you hear yourself doing that silly impression that was only for her benefit.
Unread 29 May 2007, 19:13   #49
All Systems Go

Quote:
I'll embellish the story a little for your benefit.

In the middle of your chat with the girl, you find you remember a silly program you used to watch when you were kids. It's the old chestnut of chatting about Kid's TV programs. You say that she reminds you of one of the characters, and do an impression of that character. You call her by that name.

On the phonecall the next day, anxious she should remember you, you put on the silly voice for part of the recording. Noone else will hear it, and you're confident she'll remember it as she seemed to laugh at the impression and enjoy it.

Then that recording on Flirt Divert comes on, and you hear yourself doing that silly impression that was only for her benefit.
that was YOU?
Unread 29 May 2007, 19:14   #50
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Then because it's taken out of context it's funny. I don't see how this is bad, except for the person who made the call.

Did this happen to you by the way?