User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 May 2007, 11:17   #1
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Touch-typing

When I type I don't think about what I'm doing. I either look at the keyboard for the first letter, or perhaps I just know where it is, and then I continue typing without looking down. I can invariable copy reasonably long lengths of text from a paper source onto the computer with ease. Sometimes I get the alignment wrong, or see an incorrect letter appear on the screen, but I soon correct that.

I have no visual map of the keys. I seem to use my kinetic memory for that. I couldn't tell you where the R key is on the keyboard, but when I'm in the middle of word with R in it I reach the key without a problem.

That is, I've been using that approach until recently. Because I have a masochistic desire to use baroque Unix programs that use a stupid amount of keyboard short-cuts for pretty-much everything I now need to know where the R key is, amongst others, from nowhere. Therefore, I've been learning to touch-type.

I can touch-type now, but quite slowly. If I'm typing in a few things in I'll touch-type. But If I've a large amount of text I need to enter I fall back onto my older, faster kinetic approach out of frustration.

Who out of you touch-type? Have you been in a similar situation where you've had to relearn how to type? It's a cocking joke to be honest.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 12:26   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: Touch-typing

If you actually touch type you should know where the letters are instinctively.
To me it seems od you have problems finding the keyboard shortcuts if you manage to type olly olly oxen free without watching them elusive keys.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 12:37   #3
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Well, now I can, I do.

It is odd. That's why I posted this thread. I explained the difference.

I like how I'm reiterating the thread for you.
Unread 5 May 2007, 12:53   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use two fingers at great speed. Its difficult to explain how stupid or insane i look until you actually see it happening.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 12:53   #5
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
I use two fingers at great speed.
Just like i do with your mum.

Unread 5 May 2007, 13:15   #6
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I type with the index and little fingers of my left hand, and the middle and ring fingers of my right hand. My left hand is in a normal typing position, but my right hand sits with the index finger on B and my little finger on P, at a bit of an angle. It's very odd, but I don't look at the keys and can type pretty fast.
Unread 5 May 2007, 13:15   #7
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Introvert dialog? :|

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 13:20   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I touch-type but I have no idea how or when I learnt to, I think it was just a natural progression. Makes typing and watching the tv easier though.
Unread 5 May 2007, 13:27   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Touchtyping is using all fingers on your hands and if any of you do do that it's quite impressive, as you have to learn how to do it.

Personally, I only use the middle fingers of both hands (like Deffeh) and occasionally my index finger for things like backspace or enter. I don't have to look at the keys - that isn't touchtyping though. It's just not looking at the keys :P

My school's recently given/lent me a laptop and the / and \ keys are next to each other on the far right of the keyboard. It really messes me up

Last edited by Tomkat; 5 May 2007 at 17:19.
Tomkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 14:19   #10
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

I just instinctively reach for the keys, I know where each key is on the keyboard though if I ever need to remember or something (yes I'm sad enough to think about where the keys are on the keyboard whilst on long journeys.)
I use all my fingers to type although my little fingers aren't used very much at all, I guess I use them to hit enter, shift, tab and \ and /
Unread 5 May 2007, 14:29   #11
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Touchtyping is using all fingers on your hands and if any of you do do that it's quite impressive, as you have to learn how to do it.
I think i could learn to do that given some effort, because when I try to I can pull it off but really, really slowly. As it is I just type with two (mostly) but never look down.
Unread 5 May 2007, 14:36   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Huh? I'd be amazed if the majority of hardcore computer users here couldnt touch type. I dont think I could take someone seriously if I saw them typing with a single finger on each hand (noone takes Deffeh seriously anyway).

If youre spending all that time at the computer, you might as well learn how to type properly. Mavis Beacon isnt that expensive, and its something you should have learned at school anyway. The idea of typing up a 1000+ word essay using 2 fingers horrifies me - I had no idea that practice still went on in the civilised world.

Last edited by Nodrog; 5 May 2007 at 14:42.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 14:41   #13
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I use two fingers at great speed. Its difficult to explain how stupid or insane i look until you actually see it happening.
Likewise. Left index finger for keys on the left side of the keyboard, right index finger for keys on the right side of the keyboard, left/right thumb on the spacebar, 60 WPM tyvm.
Unread 5 May 2007, 14:45   #14
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i have no idea how i type, while i am typing this i think i use a combination of my index, middle and ring finger.
my pink is barely used and my thumb only for the space ...the pink is only used for the occasional enter.

My hands are fairly big to what a normal keyboard is designed for, so using my pinky on the Q or something would be 'uncool' and unneeded...
Unread 5 May 2007, 14:51   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Likewise. Left index finger for keys on the left side of the keyboard, right index finger for keys on the right side of the keyboard, left/right thumb on the spacebar, 60 WPM tyvm.
I dont believe for a minute you can reach 60wpm with single finger typing, what sort of test did you do?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 14:55   #16
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I touch type with all my fingers except for my little fingers, and am reasonably quick.

Im not sure how i learnt, but i had a computer in the house all my life, so i guess it was just lots and lots of practice

edit: after reading Dante's post i realise i do use my little finger for shift/ctrl/etc

Last edited by Deepflow; 5 May 2007 at 16:53.
Deepflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 15:09   #17
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I dont believe for a minute you can reach 60wpm with single finger typing, what sort of test did you do?
I just did the first four results for "typing speed test" on Google and got 65-67wpm on each of them if that's any use...
Unread 5 May 2007, 15:59   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I remember only ever using one finger per hand to type when I was about 10, but as I got older, like Pabs said, it just evolved to the point where I can almost touch-type. I've tried to "re-learn" to type using the formal methods, but I find it incredibly frustrating (just as Weeks said) and give up.

I have two possible theroes/excuses.
1. I simply have learnt too many bad habits and don't have the motivation to unlearn them (this is true with a lot of programming stuff but much less so than a few years ago).
2. My hands are the wrong shape/size. They don't seem to fit where your fingers should sit according to the diagrams I've seen. Since most typists (originally) were women (possibly, I've no evidence at all for that statement), is there a optimal range for certain styles of typing which is likely to be quite low?

edit : Most "one finger" typists I've seen to tend to use their little finger occassionally, even if only for occassional use of the shift key.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2007, 16:39   #19
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Like hebdomad i can basically touch type as long as i don't think about it - which is more than a little ****ing diffucult attis moment as im having to think about it - im typing with all fingers on both hands except for my little fingers that seem to be balancing my palms tail like. I vaguely remember only typing with both index fingers but that was soon overcome with AOL chatrooms.

edit here you go deffeh
Unread 5 May 2007, 17:06   #20
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I did a test (Wizard of Oz) just now and got 75 WPM with 1 error, but it was quite easy. I then did another one (Fishing in Finland) and got 68 WPM with 3 errors.

www.typingtest.com

It's just a case of knowing where the keys are and being able to move your fingers very quickly. I'd love to type 'properly', since I'm probably near the maximum speed for this style of typing, but as Dante said it's very difficult to do.
Unread 5 May 2007, 17:26   #21
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

I got 91 WPM on the Fishing one. I only really use my middle fingers.

On Wizard of Oz I got 93 WPM with 2 fingers and made 15 mistakes. Most of those mistakes were from misplacing my fingers for the shift keys for the capital letters.
Unread 5 May 2007, 18:09   #22
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

that's pretty terrible accuracy, try again and see how you do when you're down to 1 mistake per minute.
Unread 5 May 2007, 18:42   #23
Tomkat

Yeah I guess it is. The main reason for my inaccuracy is because I'm very fast at typing in lowercase (from using IRC) but not for writing reports/essays etc (where capital letters are needed). Also because your middle finger isn't the right position to find the shift keys quickly.
Unread 5 May 2007, 19:03   #24
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

hey guys at least this thread didnt turn into a pissing contest

Unread 5 May 2007, 23:22   #25
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

I use all my fingers (including my little fingers for shift, enter, del and the arrow keys and my thumbs for pressing the space-bar), yet I don't touch type (using the formal method). I'm fast enough - I can generally type as fast as the touch-typers, but I just don't know where the keys are if asked.

I quite like the fact I'm using my kinetic memory for it, but I still think I'd be better if I touch-typed properly. But it requires motivation and the usage of my visual memory which I always find taxing.
Unread 5 May 2007, 23:25   #26
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can type pretty well.

It used to be my party trick to sit in a packed library and chat up a girl while I was looking at her and chatting and at the same time typing away.

I know from what I am writing when I make a mistake without looking at it and automatically undo my damage. All without looking.
Unread 5 May 2007, 23:43   #27
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I know from what I am writing when I make a mistake without looking at it and automatically undo my damage. All without looking.
Same here. I made mistakes on the typing test but as long as you hadn't finished the word, you were allowed to go back and correct them without it being counted as an error - and my hands automatically do that.

(I just realised that my right little finger operates the shift key, how cool is that)
Unread 6 May 2007, 00:26   #28
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Left little finger here.
Unread 6 May 2007, 06:05   #29
dda-II

dda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud of

I learned to touch type when I was in the 9th grade taking a typing class in school. Oddly enough it was on a thing called a typewriter rather than a keyboard. Quaint.

(Congratualations for no one up to this point saying they touch type with their male member.)
dda-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2007, 12:28   #30
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm not sure what I do. I think I use all my fingers when typing, but I might not be using them on the "correct" buttons according to touch-typing. Typing and finding the correct letters has become some kind of a reflex to me; I know how to do it without thinking about what to do next. Kinda like learning how to drive a car or ride a bicycle I guess.
Unread 6 May 2007, 12:47   #31
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

It appears at the moment that i only use my index and middle fingers on each hand to type, with left little finger operating shift and ctrl etc. Currently I'm alternating between using my left thumb and right index finger on the space bar.

My mum on the other hand does touch type, but then she was a typist in the Home Office before having my sister and I
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2007, 12:49   #32
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Are you the result of an illicit affair with Michael Howard?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2007, 13:00   #33
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

I managed to get 74wpm with six errors on the Oz test. I use pretty much every finger on both of my hands but i think the reason i do this i because since year 7 i have been taught to do so.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2007, 13:09   #34
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use two fingers on each hand. lus my left thumb for the spacebar.

I can't do any tping tests on this computer as one of the letters doesn't work.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 7 May 2007, 00:16   #35
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've been able to type alpha numeric + caps pretty much blindfold for the last 6 or 7 years now, due to the amount of time I spent in IRC chat rooms when I was 13/14/15. I definitely have bad habits and don't type properly (my right hand is too far over and I never use my right little finger to type enter, I think), but I use most of my fingers and when not thinking about it can type pretty quickly. I cba with wpm tests at the moment, but the wpm drastically drops when I need to include things like !£$%^&*. I can usually get () and . , : ; because I use them more often .
Unread 7 May 2007, 13:16   #36
Tomkat

Quote:
hey guys at least this thread didnt turn into a pissing contest
I only made that post to prove nodrog wrong. It's these little triumphs that get me through each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
It used to be my party trick to sit in a packed library and chat up a girl while I was looking at her and chatting and at the same time typing away.
Library Parties
Unread 7 May 2007, 16:05   #37
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

85 wpm with two errors on whatever the **** nonsense about business I was typing, but that was on a laptop keyboard and I'm pretty sure I'd be more proficient on a proper one.
Unread 7 May 2007, 16:24   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Surely neural-links are less than a decade away in terms of text input, maybe with another year to have filter stuff so you don't get output like:
"And as we see in Figure 2.1, the economic...
oh my god look at that girl out there, I wonder what whipping her until she bled would be like...no hang on, she's about 13....no way, 18 easy....so why the school uniform then...shit, it's all so wrong...maybe you should go back into therapy....
...system of Chile suffered a massive decline between..." and so on, which would get tedious to go back and edit.
Unread 7 May 2007, 16:27   #39
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
..." and so on, which would get tedious to go back and edit.

Likewise it'd be fairly easy to correct - it'd only take a single thought to erase a portion of text and (theoretically) visualise how the section of text should look.
Unread 7 May 2007, 17:00   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use all of my fingers to type when I'm on a proper keyboard, on a laptop keyboard because it's so much smaller I almost never use the last two fingers on my right hand or the small finger on my left hand. Actually just from typing there I realised on a laptop keyboard I use my little finger on my left hand for the shift/caps lock shit and the third finger (index?) on right hand for backspace and return. I guess I know how to touch-type but I never really learned it formally so I assume there'd be a bunch of errors I was making (in terms of speed and proficiency, not actual typing errors).
Unread 7 May 2007, 17:48   #41
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Surely neural-links are less than a decade away in terms of text input, maybe with another year to have filter stuff so you don't get output like:
"And as we see in Figure 2.1, the economic...
oh my god look at that girl out there, I wonder what whipping her until she bled would be like...no hang on, she's about 13....no way, 18 easy....so why the school uniform then...shit, it's all so wrong...maybe you should go back into therapy....
...system of Chile suffered a massive decline between..." and so on, which would get tedious to go back and edit.

you must spread some reputation arond before giving it to dante again!

that is the single funniest thing i have read all month
Unread 11 May 2007, 14:18   #42
All Systems Go

I had a job interview today and as we were gonig through my CV the interviewer sounded incredably surprised by the the fact that I could touch-type 70wpm

Until this thread I wasn't 100% sure what touch-typing was. I can't touch-type, though I can type rather quickly though I do tend to look down at the keyboard at time but I think this is more of a force of habit rather than any real need to see what I am doing. Whilst saying that I'm not looking at what I'm typing and I seem to be making more mistakes than usual and my typing is slower.
Unread 12 May 2007, 01:27   #43
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Being a reasonable typist and generally quick to navigate around Windows (i.e. knowing a few keyboard short-cuts) has probably impressed more people during my working life than any other single thing I've done.

This speaks volumes about the qualities I possess as a human being.
Unread 12 May 2007, 01:36   #44
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Touch-typing

I learned touch-typing in high school but that was back in the pre-PC days when typewriters roamed the earth.

Given my eventual profession as a computer programmer it turned out to be far more useful than I ever would have imagined.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote