User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Apr 2007, 10:56   #101
viC
Carnivorous Flamingo

viC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to behold
Re: Best Sci-Fi Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
What about the following movies:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Frequency
I honestly wasn't aware that anybody with the ability to type was also stupid enough to like A.I.
viC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 12:34   #102
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Apparently A.I. is better the second-time you watch it. But I'm not taking that chance. I wonder if the director's cut is just the first 60% of the film and then nothing.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 12:37   #103
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Apparently A.I. is better the second-time you watch it. But I'm not taking that chance. I wonder if the director's cut is just the first 60% of the film and then nothing.
If the Director's Cut were a test-card with the words 'Sorry for the inconvenience' and some easy-listening jazz playing in the background, it'd be an improvement.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 13:27   #104
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Putting Serenity at #1 is a bit silly given that its essentially a Star Wars clone.

Star Wars pretty much defined the 'scifi action' genre so putting any other similar film above it is fairly indefensible. If you were trying to be somewhat objective, it would be extremely hard to argue against Star Wars being the best sci-fi action film ever made, regardless of whether you personally like it.

However, treating 'sci-fi' as a single genre is stupid, since action films like Star Wars/Serenity/Independence Day have very little in common with sci-fi like 2001 or Greg Egan novels. You cant just say that two totally different films are in the same genre based on a criteria as superficial as them both being set in the future - you might as well argue that 300 is 'the same type of film' as the Passion of the Christ.

Last edited by Nodrog; 10 Apr 2007 at 13:34.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 14:05   #105
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viC
I honestly wasn't aware that anybody with the ability to type was also stupid enough to like A.I.
Apart from the last 20-30 minutes, AI is an excellent film.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 15:48   #106
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If I waved my cock in your face for the last 20-30 minutes of an expensive dinner date you'd surely agree that it was ruined though?
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 23:18   #107
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop1964
5)starwars 3
Star Wars 3, are you mad!

I'm not sure if you mean Revenge of the Sith or Return of the jedi but either way neither is great. The prequel trilogy is weak in comparison to the original trilogy so none of those can be considered great. And the original trilogy is let down by Jedi really, its the weakest of the movies and is far from the quality level of Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
I personally think A.I gets alot of unnecessary flack. Spielberg did two sci-fi movies close together in A,I and Minority Report and both had half a fantastic Sci-fi movie in them but was let down by Spielberg's inability to end a movie. He often seems to take the view of "Why end a movie once when you can end it twice". In A,I's case there was really 3 'endings' in the movie and the natural end really was after the second one and we didnt need the "happy ending" with the aliens/robots and in Minority Report the natural ending was the 'downer' where we find out Tom Cruise had done it and it didnt need the 'happy ending' tacked on

Quote:
Serenity Stuff
I think it really depends what group your asking. If you ask normal film goers whats the best sci-fi movie serenity probally wont register. While it does a good job of being a stand alone movie, certainly a better job than alot of movies from TV shows has done, it is a movie based on a tv show so has the problem these type of movies has in having to explain things but not being able to really explain things 'correctly' without annoying your core auidenece. As such a normal viewer simply cant get really invested in the charachters.

However when the people being asked about the best sci-fi films are Sci-fi fans I think it will stand the test of time as these people will have mostly seen the TV show which helps you emotionally connect and as such makes its qualities alot more prominate.

I know personally its near the top of my list as a sci-fi fan as both serenity and firefly do a great job of taking alot of the good things about sci-fi, weeds out alot of the parts that drag others down and throws in the quality of writing and dialog that youd expect in a good quality drama

Quote:
Fav Scifi movies?
Some people have mentioned Starship Troopers and I have to say Its a movie I really like. However its a movie ive never really felt stands up as a good sci-fi movie as such, it plays alot more like a Political/Military Satire imho. Donnie Darko is another thats often labeled a Sci-fi movie and is a movie I really like but when you start looking at it as an out and out Sci-fi movie its not that good

I also enjoyed the X-Files movie and it would be fairly high on my list but like Serenity its a movie that somewhat requires you to have seen the series. Same thing also for the Star Trek Movies (Some of which are excellent, but others are dismal) so i'll ignore them too.

This probably leaves Gattaca and 12 Monkeys at the top of my list. I'm sure Blade Runner would be up there but its one of those movies I want to see but for whatever reason haven't ever got round to it (The 10 million different cuts probably hasnt helped me get round to seeing it).

The Matrix would have also probably been up there but I get the same reaction when I think about the movie due to the sequels as I do every week when I watch Lost because like Lost Matrix took what was a great start and decided to forget everything that made it great just so they can make more money by making more thus damaging the overall product
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 23:25   #108
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Let's not forget, Spielberg's War of the Worlds, I really wanted to shoot myself during the 30 minutes (at least it seemed that long) of Tom Cruise stuck in the basement with Tim Robbins, and was glad when Tom Cruise's character finally killed him. The biggest problem Spielberg has with Sci-Fi is he has too many long 'dramatic' scenes where nothing is really going on and it's just a waste of film and people's time.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 23:32   #109
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The director's cut of bladerunner is the best one probably. I don't think it's really fair to blame the matrix for having shit sequels though. We're not judging the best trilogy here, we're judging the best film.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 23:55   #110
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
The director's cut of bladerunner is the best one probably. I don't think it's really fair to blame the matrix for having shit sequels though. We're not judging the best trilogy here, we're judging the best film.
I'm sure I'll get over my matrix problem and get to a point where I can enjoy the Original film but its just a case its still just too soon after the sequels for me to be able to get any real enjoyment out of the original anymore. I had the same problem with Jaws, Rocky and Superman for a long time (and Currently having it with X-Men as well) but did get my issue with them once my memory of the sequels was fuzzy enough for me to not spend the first 10mins where all i can rememeber is how painful the sequels were and thus unable to get into the original

Cheers for the Bladerunner version tip, i'll try and get around to acquiring a copy tommorrow
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 00:15   #111
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You think that X-Men II is drastically worse than X-Men I? III I can understand, but II?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Minority Report the natural ending was the 'downer' where we find out Tom Cruise had done it and it didnt need the 'happy ending' tacked on
I don't really see how you can view the ending of Minority Report as a particularly happy one, especially as the ending of the short story on which it is based ends with him actually being reunited with his wife.

The film isn't about him so much as it is about precrime, and the philosophical question of free will. Having it end with him having committed the crime changes the message entirely, and I don't see why you haven't observed this given that in the same post you criticise science fiction films for not being about the sci fi elements
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 10:48   #112
jezebelus

I think the best sci-fi is Planet Of The Apes
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 02:47   #113
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I haven't read the book but I think the film is an outstanding parody on western militarism brought as an entertaining brainless action flick with laser guns and big ass spaceships.

Well i think the film is neither parody nor ironic. If you think otherwise please tell me why.

Anyway at it's most basic the book is about citizen participation in the election of a Government (you have to do something for society, not necessarily go kill things, to be deemed worthy enough to have a say in the society). At it's most basic the film is about HOW FUN IT IS TO BE BLOWING THINGS UP GUFFAW GUFFAW! And when i say that's the film's most basic message i actually mean that that's pretty much the only message.

So i re-itterate: "the film is shit because it's nothing like the book" (the book has a point to make ... the film just involves lots of shooting). Even if the book didn't exist then the Starship Troopers would still be a shit "lets shoot things" film.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 05:54   #114
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Well, to me the entire film oozes parody, everything is way over the top. The way the characters communicate with eachother, the entire idea of drilling people into a war guided with the over the top music, how they motivate each other, over the top pieces of propaganda on a lots of infilm television casts, two dimensional cliched american highschool like characters. It's all rather clear to most people, it's not even hard to recognize. Especially not when you've seen stuff like Robocop from the same director, it's not like Verhoeven has problems putting subtile messages and refferences in his films, I guess you should watch it again with a clear mind without putting it against your favourite scifi story.

Verhoeven got bored of the book, so he changed the aproach, he's not the kind of director that just put in a lot of pew pew and some neat looking effects to just create an action flick.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 06:09   #115
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
In his commentary on the DVD edition of the film, director Paul Verhoeven states unambiguously that the movie's message is "War makes fascists of us all", and that he sees the movie as a satire of American militarism. On the same commentary, screenwriter Ed Neumeier (who worked with Verhoeven previously on Robocop) broadly concurs, although he sees the satire as applying to the whole of human history, rather than solely to the U.S.
From wikipedia. I agree wholeheartedly with silversmoke on this point. Judging a film on its faithfulness to a novel is silly if you're merely trying to ascertain the "quality" of the film. Art can stand in its own right dudes.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 06:36   #116
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
From wikipedia. I agree wholeheartedly with silversmoke on this point. Judging a film on its faithfulness to a novel is silly if you're merely trying to ascertain the "quality" of the film. Art can stand in its own right dudes.
Surely the fact that a film is deliberately trying to increase its box office revenue by dishonestly luring people into the cinema under false pretences is something that should be taken into accuonts when assessing its merits?
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 10:52   #117
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Surely the fact that a film is deliberately trying to increase its box office revenue by dishonestly luring people into the cinema under false pretences is something that should be taken into accuonts when assessing its merits?
Not really although I doubt that was the actual intent. If I saw a movie called 'Imperialism : The Highest Stage of Capitalism' then there'd be some duty on me to check a review or some background. Of course, if they engaged in a widescale series of bribes and threats to ensure that no-one knew the real truth behind the movie then perhaps I could see your point, but I doubt that happened here.

Anyway, a lot of this depends on whether you're asking what your favourite movie is, or if you're asking what the "best" movie is which match a particular criteria. I would freely admit that The Smiths are more influential / culturally important / whatever than Blink 182 but that doesn't stop me thinking the output of the former is dreadful while quite enjoying the latter.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:14   #118
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Has anyone mentioned Contact yet?
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:23   #119
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Not as a piece of art no, nor is this what actually happened.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:51   #120
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Its very difficult to say what is your favorite movie. When you start talking about sci fi movies it gets even harder imho. Sci fi is such a huge theme so its even difficult to define what sci fi is.

Me personally has Cube as one of my favorites. Granted its a low budget Canadian movie, but its simply one of the best movies of its genre. And it is defiantly recommended. Other movies that deserves a mention is Contact, 2001, Matrix and possibly Mad Max.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 15:49   #121
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Well, to me the entire film oozes parody, everything is way over the top. The way the characters communicate with eachother, the entire idea of drilling people into a war guided with the over the top music, how they motivate each other, over the top pieces of propaganda on a lots of infilm television casts, two dimensional cliched american highschool like characters. It's all rather clear to most people, it's not even hard to recognize. Especially not when you've seen stuff like Robocop from the same director, it's not like Verhoeven has problems putting subtile messages and refferences in his films, I guess you should watch it again with a clear mind without putting it against your favourite scifi story.

I think Verhoeven does dumb movies for dumb people and then explains all the guns and tits away by saying that it's satire in an attempt to retain his artistic credibility. If a different director, one who i respected (eg Christopher Nolan), had produced the exact same Starship Troopers film THEN i could have taken it as a satirical piece. My problem with labelling Starship Troopers as a satire is that it is not in Verhoeven's style to do intelligent stuff.

American Psycho had tits and violence but it was blatantly satirical. Starship Troopers was not so.

Quote:
Verhoeven got bored of the book, so he changed the aproach, he's not the kind of director that just put in a lot of pew pew and some neat looking effects to just create an action flick.
That's EXACTLY the kind of director i think he is!!!

Oh and also ... Starship Troopers is in no way my favourite Sci-fi book. I rate it as average.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 15:53   #122
Nodrog

On a sidenote, why does it even matter whether its satire? An ironically bad movie is a bad movie nonetheless.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 16:03   #123
Dace
so f*cking zen

It matters because "it's satire" seems to be the crux of Silversmoke's argument that it's a good film.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 16:08   #124
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
It matters because "it's satire" seems to be the crux of Silversmoke's argument that it's a good film.

No it wasn't, it's the crux of my argument against your initiate reason to think it's a stupid movie. Which was Starship Troopers is shit because the book was so different.

I never said it's good because I view it as satire. I think it's decent because it amused me and I like the refferences towards western millitarism and all that jazz as I see it. I really don't care how much this was ment to be or made up afterwards really.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 16:44   #125
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think as a mindless action flick then Starship Troopers is excellent. Trying to compare it to the book or saying it's good because of subtle satire is a bit silly. I'd enjoy it on the same level I'd enjoy Predator or something.