User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Apr 2007, 14:31   #51
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of
Re: Best Sci-Fi Movie

I rented 12 Monkeys the other day because of this thread, and my wife who hadn't seen it told me she thought it was a stupid movie...should I burn her at the stake, or forgive her for being part of the mindless mass that only likes sci-fi movies with vampires or witches, and thought Serenity was a good movie?
Unread 8 Apr 2007, 15:26   #52
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
Is there any reason why, in particular?
This has been covered by others already, but just to clarify I dislike 2001 as it's an incredibly boring movie which failed to grip me on an emotional, intellectual or aesthetic level. Perhaps it was technically stunning on release (I've no idea) but that certainly can't count in its favour since it just looks embarrassing now. I don't recall a single "intellectual" concept that the movie explored which got me thinking, but ymmv.

The music was nice in parts, but it's not like the Blue Danube wasn't available before the movie's release.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2007, 19:52   #53
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I feel that Gattaca has been criminally under-recognised thus far.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of Jude Law, Uma Therman or Ethan Hawke, but that was a good film. I even used it in one of my essays about the human genome.
Unread 8 Apr 2007, 23:36   #54
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The transhumanism theme is fairly overt in the "starchild" sequence and while maybe a little less spelt out during scenes such as HAL's 'malfunctioning', it is there. The 'meta-theme', in this branch of the film, far from being an old think scare storey a la frankenstein that tomkat has suggested is that HAL (an AI) is not only sentient and in possesion of the will to live but also feels empathy and indeed guilt at lying to the rest of the crew.
Wait, when does he feel empathy or guilt? The starchild sequence is probably the most pretentious bit in the film, it's purely an image for the sake of an image, rather in keeping with the rest of it in my opinion.

Quote:
I'm genuinely unsure what areas are considered pretentious.
Look it up, it's not exactly the most uncommon criticism inm the history of the universe. We do have the internet for things like this after all.
Unread 8 Apr 2007, 23:59   #55
Bane
Shadows and Dust

Bane is on a distinguished road

Event Horizon was a good film, even though that's sci-fi horror. Took things to a new disturbing level .

R3 or so - Cell/Elysium
Looong break
R20 - Orbit
R21 - Subh (Finished rank 58)
8 year break
R60 - ND -> Ultores (Finished rank 48)
R61 - Rogues

14:05 <Swing> I wear a cape and a burger king paper crown when i play pa
14:10 <Zwanstic> u also talk alot of shit
14:14 <Blue_Esper> you're a weird unit
12:33 <hone> oddr is where we send all the semi retarded and gay bashing ult has beens LOL
12:34 <hone> thats where u should be swing lol
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 00:34   #56
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Best Sci-Fi Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Perhaps it was technically stunning on release (I've no idea) but that certainly can't count in its favour since it just looks embarrassing now. I don't recall a single "intellectual" concept that the movie explored which got me thinking, but ymmv.
I mostly agree, but when I first saw it in 1968 it was quite stunning--not especially technically but emotionally. However, that aspect has not stood up.

The biggest thing about 2001 was that it made the genre (Sci Fi films) "respectable." Prior to 2001, Sci Fi films were low budget 'B' movies that the film industry never took very seriously (like, for example, the other notable Sci Fi release of 1968: Planet of the Apes). 2001 got enough favorable reviews (and Academy Award nominations) to change that.

In that respect, I suppose its an influential film though not a great one.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 00:36   #57
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Look it up, it's not exactly the most uncommon criticism inm the history of the universe. We do have the internet for things like this after all.
OR, you/T&F could explain it. It's frankly ridiculous to make a nebulous claim, dismiss all counterpoints, and demand the other person finds out what someone else said without ever making an argument of your own.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 00:48   #58
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
It's frankly ridiculous to make a nebulous claim, dismiss all counterpoints, and demand the other person finds out what someone else said without ever making an argument of your own.
I feel that it is actually far more ridiculous to say "The "delusions of grandeur", or, what i would call the genuine grandeur, isn't just to be judged on it's ontological/philosophical concepts and suggestions (however made-up you view them to be), but also the aesthetics it acts as a synergist to. "

But then I'm a native English speaker.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 00:57   #59
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
OR, you/T&F could explain it. It's frankly ridiculous to make a nebulous claim, dismiss all counterpoints, and demand the other person finds out what someone else said without ever making an argument of your own.
It's not really my point. As I said to horn one perfectly valid approach would be to ask T&F why he thought that. I'm just curious as to what horn found interesting about the movie.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 01:07   #60
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

How is Forbidden Planet not higher ? 2001 at 8 ? no sign of The Day The Earth Stood Still ? that list is a travesty !

Last edited by Hicks; 9 Apr 2007 at 01:13.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 01:46   #61
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Off-topic but having just watch it, I would highly recommend Office Space.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 05:24   #62
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Did i mention i like Gus van sant? :/
Does this include the film Last Days? If it does you've lost your right to have an opinion on anything ever.

(Some of Van Sant's movies are good however)
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 12:10   #63
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Clockwork orange is vastly over-rated as issue based thinking mans sci-fi, but bearing in mind the era it and 2001 were made in, Kubrick was trying to make a point, and did so.

Gattica is the same attempt in a different era with a different subject matter.

The Island is another one.

Wether they are actually enjoyable movies is much debateable, the moral issues at their basis are the more important factors and what makes them successfull is the fact that we watch them and think about those issues.

Remember that we now live in a vision based life, before that we lived on a sound based, with radio being the media of choice, and before that it was books.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 13:52   #64
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

That would be a hard call to me, so many great sci-fi's especially the lesser heard of ones.

I geuss I'd have to jump on the The 5th Element bandwagon as one of my all time favourites.

That aside there is one movie I'd rate in the top 5 that I am sure would have the crowds booing and popcorn hurled my way.

Battlefield Earth

When it came out all my friends said it was shit, so I never saw it.

When it came to DVD every review on every site I saw said it was shit, so I never hired it.

Then I chanced on a copy that a friend had and being the dedicated sci-fi person I was I had to at least give it a go.

The verdict? I was pleasantly surprised, maybe it was the fact that my expectations had been dragged so horribly low that it seemed so good but I thuroughly enjoyed the film.

The plot was original, none of the effects were overdone, maybe it wasn't everybodies cup of tea but it hardly deserves the bad wrap that critcs gave it. The underdog factor alone elevates it in my eyes.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 16:16   #65
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't see what the problem with Rocky is.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 16:34   #66
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I don't agree with the idea that the starchild sequence is pretentious. Nor do i think it's an image for the sake of an image. It's there to show what Dave has become. Admitedly a posthuman/starchild probably wouldn't look like a foetus but the reason (i assume) why they made it a foetus was to give the viewers a more explicit message as to what exactly has gone on. If they had simply shown some kind of energy-field you'd be saying exactly the same thing.
Man travels to the end of the universe, somehow becomes more than man and travels back in time and floats around in space. Yeah. Unpretentious!

Cool message for a movie though. If you can make it to the end of the universe you too can become a foetus that floats around in space.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 16:36   #67
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Well it certainly didn't have a video before the movie's release.
It was featured in at least 3 movies before 2001 according to Wiki, including one by Kubrick.

Quote:
What does ymmv mean?
It's short for yori moleveloch merasd vakie - literally "you should go look it up" in Russian.

Quote:
It doesn't, i haven't seen it yet.
You should do. The film is just one long pause, nothing happens in it, there's almost no acting, and it's hard to identify any point to the film at all. You'll probably enjoy the ontological duality involved.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 17:05   #68
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

elephant is excellent apart from some amusing gimmicks chucked in here and there such as the two guys being homosexual etc. gerry was good too for the most parts but frankly it's just dull. the real issue with these real experimental, "out there" directors is they tend to completely forget the art of storytelling and leads to being tedious far too easily.

incidentally, i just saw a rather good film by shane meadows called 'this is england', not at all sci-fi but there's no other film thread so i'm just chucking this out there.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 17:13   #69
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Has anyone mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy yet?

I would put this as one of my top 10 sci-fi movies.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 18:05   #70
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It hasn't been mentioned because it's incredibly shit compared to the book.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 18:25   #71
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I never read the book & thought the movie was shit too

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 18:40   #72
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man

I'm not sure that really conveyed what I was going for but **** it, he looks so grinny
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 18:45   #73
viC
Carnivorous Flamingo

viC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to behold

Transformers: The Movie

Not the shit that Micheal Bay is about to stain cinemas with this summer.

The future, robots, war, death, and a kick ass soundtrack by a band called Kick Axe. SciFi can't get much better than that!
viC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 18:50   #74
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man

It's not even in the top 10 best Hitchhiker's Guide related products.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 18:56   #75
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

There is something that worries me. It's not that these meta-conversations discuss obvious subjectivity. Or the general pointlessness of lengthy arguments against someone's film tastes and what simulates them intellectually, emotionally and aesthetically, as Dante put it. But that in a fight between Dante, T&F and horn, milo, myself I still think Dante and T&F would win, even if T&F wears a dress. Damn you 2001!

Last edited by Hebdomad; 9 Apr 2007 at 19:07.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 20:03   #76
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I don't see what the problem with Rocky is.
He can't talk very clearly.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 20:07   #77
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
sorry are you suggesting i should go look up your criticisms a la jbg style or "if you want to go read up on films to get more enjoyment out of them that's your perogative but i myself think it's wack"?
He's suggesting you should look up what YMMV means.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 20:19   #78
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
This is an interesting review of the new one. http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/...987943,00.html
(it also comments on the old rocky, and indeed 2001!)

I'm not terribly concerned with the latent racism mind you, it's just base crap. I like films with, um.... prentious concepts and delusions of grandeur :/
Ignoring, as you say, the apparant "latent racism", that piece misses the mark with Rocky so much it's painful. The fact that Rocky loses is not some forced nod to realism, it's the core of the character movement of the film: the changing of Rocky from someone who goes nowhere and makes excuses about how life didn't give him a fair break to someone who values self-improvement, and gains pride from his achievement without looking at what he didn't manage.

To suggest that Rocky has a victim for the white man because he is shown to work harder than that talky negro is not only misreading the subtext of the film but ignoring what is actually put in front of you.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 20:44   #79
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Sounds rubbish, thanks for the warning.
Indeed, "making something of yourself" doesn't really sound like your thing :v:
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 21:49   #80
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
This view that 2001 has sort of lost the impact it had back in the day (shared by tk earlier in this thread), as far as i can tell isn't really true. Sure it got an academy nomination, but it lost out.... to rocky.
It got several nominations actually, and not just for 'best special effects' which used to be the token Sci Fi category. It also got nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay, which are categories that the film industry takes far more seriously.

(Rocky was released several years later and so did not compete against 2001 for an Oscar.)
Quote:
I've heard it said a few times before that it also got panned by the critics on it's original release and it's only in the last decade or so that it's been recognised as a "great film" or whatever.
As I've suggested, I think people are reacting to the influence wielded by the film rather than to its greatness per se.
Quote:
I'm not sure why the emotional impact of the film would have changed over the years for you.
Well, it might be that I was 14 when I first saw it.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 22:53   #81
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I saw this movie this evening called 2001: A Space Odyssey. Okay. Now, ASG's quick capsule review: Piece of shit. Okay, now yeah, yeah. End of story, by the way. Don't get caught up in that fevered hype phoney ****ing debate about that piece of shit movie. "Is it too ambiguous? And what about the movies, are they becoming too " You're just confused, you've forgotten how to judge correctly. Take a deep breath, look at it again. "Oh, it's a piece of shit!" Exactly, that's all it is. Satan squatted, let out a loaf, they put a ****ing title on it, put it on a marquee. Satan's shit, piece of shit, walk away. "But is it too and what about the aesthetics, they" You're getting really baffled here. Piece of shit! Now walk away. That's all it is, it's nothing more! Free yourself, folks. If you see it: "Piece of shit!" Say it and walk away. You're right! You're right, not those ****ers who want to tell you how to think! You're ****ing right!

[/Bill Hicks]
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 22:58   #82
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I just finished watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and whilst this may not be the thread for it I thought I'd just publicly declare that I'm going to kill every one of my shit-eating, pretentious film-buff friends for stealing two hours of my ****ing life
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:13   #83
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Dude, I liked that film, too. It was less good the second-time I watched it though. Out of all of his films, I think I prefer Being John Malkovich or Adaptation - I can't decide.

I don't fit into the GD film clique
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:22   #84
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I just finished watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and whilst this may not be the thread for it I thought I'd just publicly declare that I'm going to kill every one of my shit-eating, pretentious film-buff friends for stealing two hours of my ****ing life
But you didn't have to pay to see it at the cinema
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:36   #85
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

I would have to say that Blade Runner is probably the best Sci-Fi film of all time, on so many levels. It has it's share of action, but it is also very thought provoking too.

Serenity is an awesome film. The dialog is sharp and witty, and admittedly, a more than passing familiarity with the series does make the film more interesting, you can certainly watch it on its own.

As a personal top 5:
  1. Blade Runner
  2. Star Wars: A New Hope
  3. 2001
  4. Terminator 2
  5. The Abyss

Honourable mentions for: The Running Man, Total Recall and Predator.

I also think that Waterworld is a vastly underated movie.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:49   #86
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

All those people who say Starship Troopers is a great film need to **** off and die.

- The Prestige is an excellent Sci Fi film

- Aliens is one of the films ive most enjoyed (director's cut obviously). Enjoyed time and time again.

- Although i appreciate that there's alot of hate for it Donnie Darko was pretty good too.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:50   #87
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I would say that the directors cut of Aliens, like the directors cut of all Cameron films, is much much more interesting if you have seen the film a few times previous. The pacing is much worse, but there's much more ancilliary information.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:52   #88
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
this however, i thought was very good, what did you dislike about it?

i'm a big kaufman fan too, though i'm still yet to see adaptation.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:55   #89
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I would say that the directors cut of Aliens, like the directors cut of all Cameron films, is much much more interesting if you have seen the film a few times previous. The pacing is much worse, but there's much more ancilliary information.

I've never thought of that before. I guess i did see the normal cut a couple of times before i saw the Director's cut. The automated guns make the film so much more fun \o/

Also ... There was a director's cut of Titanic???
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:57   #90
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I have no idea. The only Cameron films I really care about are Aliens, Terminator and T2.
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 23:58   #91
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I watched it too, it was enjoyable. It was quite fun working what the hell was going on (that took about half an hour), it got a little tiresome since they went through so many of his memories, but it was well worth watching.

It's a relief to finally watch a film that isn't in the basic romance/comedy/action/thriller/bruckenheimer piece of shit/love story mould. So I enjoyed it. The film's touching yet funny, insightful yet not philosophical for the sake of it. Those are things that I like.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 00:01   #92
jerome

the thing with films such as eternal sunshine, as well as memento for another example is it's too easy to blow it off as a one trick pony gimmick with their respective modes of storytelling. but you get a lot more with each further viewing from both movies, to be honest.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 00:03   #93
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
All those people who say Starship Troopers is a great film need to **** off and die.

Why actually?

By the way, I love Donnie Darko. That movie is certainly in my personal top 10 if one ever existed.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 00:07   #94
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Why actually?

In short because it's nothing like the book.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 00:17   #95
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I haven't read the book but I think the film is an outstanding parody on western militarism brought as an entertaining brainless action flick with laser guns and big ass spaceships.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 02:08   #96
viC
Carnivorous Flamingo

viC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to behold

And Denise Richards!
viC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 04:05   #97
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

What about the following movies:

Day After Tomorrow
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Armageddon
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Frequency
Ghostbusters
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 05:28   #98
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I haven't read the book but I think the film is an outstanding parody on western militarism brought as an entertaining brainless action flick with laser guns and big ass spaceships.
That's pretty much the antithesis of the book. :/
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 05:41   #99
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
That's pretty much the antithesis of the book. :/

Somehow I expected a reason like this.

So what?
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 05:45   #100
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Just looked this up on;

The film began development with the working title Bug Hunt,[50] but then a friend of Verhoeven pointed out the similarities between his script and the book. A license was subsequently obtained and the script edited to conform more to the book. However, in the DVD commentary of the film Verhoeven claimed he never finished reading the novel, becoming both bored and depressed after the first few chapters.[51] This may explain the great dissimilarity between the book and the film, and the uproar among Heinlein's fans when the movie was released.[52] It should also be noted that the film is regarded as a strongly satirical portrait of militaristic themes, so if much of the above controversy surrounding the book is to be believed, the two represent drastically different viewpoints.

I can see why it's not much like the book.. Eh wait, according to Dace logics the film is shit and I shouldn't like it now