User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Apr 2007, 22:58   #1
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
First Person shooters with a decent storyline.

Since I've played Doom and Quake I got fed up of the genre First Person Shooters because they all felt like dwelling inside virtual mazes searching for the way out by doing silly puzzles while shooting at enemies so I left the genre as good as abandoned for what it was.

I had a fair share of Max Payne by accident and while I found it rather amusing it didn't hold my attention very long. Half life bored me as it started out in a very generic environment killing annoying little aliens. After years of rpg's, mmorpgs, turn based strategy and a lot of retro faggotry and whatnot I decided to give FEAR and Half Life 2 a good try.

F.E.A.R. is fun. I still haven't went through it entirely because i'm a chicken and gets easily scared by cheap horrormovie effects, man I hate that little girl. It's fun though and I think the game is awesome. Still I didn't feel i missed out on a lot untill I decided to see for myself why people think so highly of Half Life 2.

All I can say is

I'm probably years behind the masses so I want to ask you people; which fps games should I get my hands on because I want more of the goodness. For now I can think of Prey, Painkiller, Farcry. What else should I look out for? Anything between Half life 1 and now will do as long my system will be able to run it (3200+ 2gb ram, x800 GT 256mb video). Please don't mention rpg hybrids or GTA, I know them already probably (like deus Ex, System Shock 2 and the coming Bioshock).
Unread 5 Apr 2007, 23:33   #2
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: First Person shooters with a decent storyline.

Alien Vs Predator ftw
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2007, 23:46   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Alien Vs Predator is good, although it's not so much for the plot as for the sense of being in the film Aliens.

NOLF1 and 2 are pretty essential, there's very mild RPG elements but it's very mild. If you like FEAR, you might like Prey.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2007, 23:54   #4
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I enjoy Day of Defeat (a CS mod with a WW2 setting and weapons). There's no storyline though, but the setting is nice and you get to shoot real people instead of bots Since you have HL, I guess you should be able to install DoD for free.
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 00:06   #5
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Alien Vs Predator is good, although it's not so much for the plot as for the sense of being in the film Aliens.

NOLF1 and 2 are pretty essential, there's very mild RPG elements but it's very mild. If you like FEAR, you might like Prey.

I looked up No One Lives Forever 1 and 2, I never heard of these games before strange enough. I really don't mind rpg elements actually it's what I like but I thought that I know most decent fps with rpg elements already. I guess not then.

I'll try to get my hands on AvP, NOLF and Prey
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 00:08   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
I enjoy Day of Defeat (a CS mod with a WW2 setting and weapons). There's no storyline though, but the setting is nice and you get to shoot real people instead of bots Since you have HL, I guess you should be able to install DoD for free.

Ah no, I completely suck at online pew pew antics. I might give Battlefield a try one day though but I don't think it will draw my attention for long. I'm waiting for Conan and Warhammer, speaking about online gaming.
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 01:17   #7
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

postal 2, it's not so much like the ones you listed as just a bloody good laugh.
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 09:20   #8
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Definetly try Far Cry, one of the best shooters i played in a long long time. Just don't be as disappointed as me when they bring on the aliens / mutations / whatever ...
That really blew the game for me, it was nice and realistic but they ****ed up there.

Also if you feel like playing a 3rd person shooter I recommend you try Gun.
Bit hard when you start with it but now I'm really enjoying riding around in the far west on my horse shooting indians & bandits

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 09:54   #9
Opi
Ensign

Opi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to all

Though it's not strictly a FPS, I'd recommend Mafia. The game is set in the thirties and has a good old mafia family storyline. Not all missions are shooter-type, sometimes you get to drive around a bit (in oldtimer cars, of course), too. But you can shoot out the window while driving, so it's all good. Great game in a not too outplayed (at least for games) setting.
Opi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 10:08   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
Definetly try Far Cry, one of the best shooters i played in a long long time. Just don't be as disappointed as me when they bring on the aliens / mutations / whatever ...
That really blew the game for me, it was nice and realistic but they ****ed up there.
The pathologically retarded AI opponents didn't blow the game for you first?
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 10:35   #11
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opi
Though it's not strictly a FPS, I'd recommend Mafia. The game is set in the thirties and has a good old mafia family storyline. Not all missions are shooter-type, sometimes you get to drive around a bit (in oldtimer cars, of course), too. But you can shoot out the window while driving, so it's all good. Great game in a not too outplayed (at least for games) setting.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest!

The people I know that don't like Mafia tend to dislike it because you spend a lot of time driving around at no faster than 40mph. If you do go faster then the police will start chasing you. If you ignore that minor point and allow yourself to be immersed into the great atmosphere of the game then you should have fun with it. It's got plenty of action for those looking for an FPS experience.
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 13:18   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Don't expect any of those games to live up to HL2 though. I'm surprised you didn't like HL1's storyline

I'm the same though - I got bored very quickly with Quake/Doom etc and had also given FPS up for dead until I tried Half-Life.
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 13:54   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Half Life is designed in an altogether more mature and professional way, though.
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 14:51   #14
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked Call of Duty.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 16:46   #15
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I liked Call of Duty.
Me too, kinda. Got bored of it in one of the final missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Goldeneye

Got it on my N64. Awesome game yeah.
Unread 6 Apr 2007, 19:03   #16
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

The CoD single play was fair good, despite some dodgy sections. You can't tell me you didn't feel something with the music going as you tried to head up the hill after landing on the beach at the start of the russian mission, or at the end of the game where you are scrabbling up to wave the russian flag.

Call of Duty is really though really an online game rather than a single player. I just about liked CoD despite it lacking CTF and love CoD:UO (I play it all the time now), I can't stand CoD2. Been unable to run away from 'nades and been told where they were on the radio really spoilt the game for me.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 20:07   #17
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

The great feeling of killing nazis, rc mayhem?
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 10:53   #18
jezebelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!

Also if you feel like playing a 3rd person shooter I recommend you try Gun.
Bit hard when you start with it but now I'm really enjoying riding around in the far west on my horse shooting indians & bandits
Yeah Far Cry was fantastic in first few stages until unreal crap comes. Man I was so angry when I saw those stupid Serious Sam like creatures. I don't know why people have to ruin everything good . It could be new Delta Force but it turns to be just nice try :crymeariver:
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 23:33   #19
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
The great feeling of killing nazis, rc mayhem?
Well that was/is the problem with CoD. The game has far more balancing problems than PA has due to the nazis vs everyone else format. The mp44 is so overpowered in good hands that I play nazi more often than not and whatever side I am I always look for one.
This balance issue wasn't fixed in CoD2 in my opinion.

But this is all getting very off topic...
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 02:00   #20
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Yeah, the mp44 is awesome, but that merely adds to the joy off killing em, doesnt it. Even if I had to knife em, I would still play allies and invade Berlin
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 02:35   #21
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
The CoD single play was fair good, despite some dodgy sections. You can't tell me you didn't feel something with the music going as you tried to head up the hill after landing on the beach at the start of the russian mission, or at the end of the game where you are scrabbling up to wave the russian flag.
I was thinking mostly " what, you want me to go up there, unarmed?
are you nuts?

Hated that mission until i worked out that you didnt need to be good, a coward sufficed so long as you didnt run backwards
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 05:57   #22
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

I've gone through Half life 2, great game! Finishing a game is a rarity for me these days but this one kept me busy till the end. I'm into Call of Duty 2 now, it's fun as well.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 15:20   #23
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I am reliably informed that Deus Ex has a pretty good story
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2007, 01:07   #24
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice

Go back to HL1. Play it again.

Enjoy

Other than that, what type of feeling are you looking for, do you WANT the game to spook you, do you want to be a part of an army etc.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2007, 06:38   #25
Hideo

Hideo is on a distinguished road

Going back to HL1 after HL2 is painful. It really shows it's age.
Hideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2007, 06:58   #26
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I never liked HL1 or 2.

1 had way too many big open areas where nothing happens and frustrating level design.
2 was far too generic sci-fi/big brother setting.
Unread 22 Apr 2007, 09:39   #27
MrMighty
Chimping

MrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideo
Going back to HL1 after HL2 is painful. It really shows it's age.
Be patient and wait for Black Mesa then.
MrMighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2007, 15:57   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
2 was far too generic sci-fi/big brother setting.
I can't think of a single FPS which doesn't have a disgustingly generic setting.
Unread 22 Apr 2007, 16:01   #29
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Duke Nukem was a laugh when I was 16. Don't know how it has lasted over time though.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2007, 15:31   #30
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri

I remember playing Aliens on the Amstrad CPC 464. you got to listen to this bing bing noise for ages and them something jumped out and killed you. It was crap. But I was eating cheese toasties while I was playing, they were nice.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote