User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Jan 2007, 16:58   #51
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Football] Paul Tomkins Article on Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
You disagree?

You think winning the league means more than winning the European Cup?

No one ever remembers the league winners, they remember the European Cup winners though.
Who are these people you speak of and where do they come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I disagree. The legitamcy is done on the season you qualified.
they finished a very poor fourth. there's not a great deal to be salvaged ouv of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
When Villa qualified we were league champions (81) in the year we won the European Cup we finished 11th (82) now for a team of villa who had a squad of 16 players to achieve league and cup was nigh on impossible.

It was either league or cup.
Do you really think that was the best decision for the club? Wouldn't it have made more sense to try and stabalise a consistantly high performing league club? Or did they pick the cup because they were doing crap in the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Secondly regardless if Liverpools league form before the European Cup season was shite, that doesn't matter. The rules of the competition states that the top 4 teams in Britain qualify for the tournament.
I'm not contesting the rules. I'm just saying that there was nothing about their qualification or winning the cup or subsequent performances that would indicate they were worthy of being crowned champions of Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
It is certainly harder flying to Bucharest then driving to Bolton, or playing Real Madrid instead of Reading.
yet they still perform poorly in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
The European Cup is and will remain to be the watermark for sucessful teams.
So you believe Liverpool hve ben more sucessful thanChelsea in the past couple of years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Chelsea, Blackburn, Man Utd, Arsenal have all shown that if you have money (and perhaps most importantly few teams who can challenge) the league can be yours.
Leeds and Liverpool have shown the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Anyone can win the league.
Yet far less clubs have won the Premiership (since its creation) than have won the European Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
The European Cup is the pinacle of Football. I bet if you asked any European Footballer what trophy do they desire the most, the european cup would be there. Keane wanted to win it so badly (i.e. actually play in it) Legends have been made because of it, and overall there is nothing quite like a European Football night.

Great Football, Great Passion, Great excitment.
Of course the cup has a magic. It's the unpredictability and the potential for an upset with an immediate consequence, which is more difficult to sustain for 38 games.

I have always considered the European Cup to be the icing on the cake. to win it is to declare that you are the best team in Europe. Yet without that Championship trophy (or at least having one in recent memory) it all rings a bit hollow and stinks of unworthiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Of course if a team south of New Street could actually ever win a European Cup I'm sure they would stop harping on about how great the league is.

A good team win the league. A great team win the cup.
A consistant team wins the league. A lucky team wins the cup.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 17:28   #52
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Who are these people you speak of and where do they come from?
Football Fans. Those who have won both (United, Liverpool, Forest heck why not lets throw Villa into the mix) Also fans from abroad (At least fans I have met), the European Cup means a lot to them

Quote:
they finished a very poor fourth. there's not a great deal to be salvaged ouv of that.
1st, 4th doesn't matter as the rules allow it. It's not the same as when Liverpool, Villa, Forest and Manure first won it, but thats still 4 top quality sides from Britain, 4 from Spain, 4 from Italy, etc. That is scary. The amount of quality on show at european games, especially in the later stages. I also like to think that unless you are 1st whats the point, between 2nd and 4th its all the same really. Europe, money etc. (Yes I know you have an extra round in the EC if you are 4th)

Quote:
I'm not contesting the rules. I'm just saying that there was nothing about their qualification or winning the cup or subsequent performances that would indicate they were worthy of being crowned champions of Europe.
You don't have to play nice football to win the European cup, you just have to win.

Quote:
Do you really think that was the best decision for the club? Wouldn't it have made more sense to try and stabalise a consistantly high performing league club? Or did they pick the cup because they were doing crap in the league?
Oh 100% best decision. Villa like Arsenal have a history of winning the league and the fa cup and the league cup etc. However our crowning glory was winning the European Cup. I would give my right leg to win another one in my lifetime. I would rather be Champions of Europe than Champions of England. Plus the amount of teams who have won is quite small. There is that air of exclusivity, something arsenal or chelsea are yet to taste. Yet Brian Clough tasted it twice.

Quote:
yet they still perform poorly in the league.
Do they really? Before Arsenal they hadn't lost at Anfield for 25 games or something rediculous. There away form was getting better and they looked like a team on the up. Arsenal rocked the boat a bit granted, but thats life. Villa lost to Doncaster in the league cup last year.

Quote:
So you believe Liverpool hve ben more sucessful thanChelsea in the past couple of years?
No. Chelsea is a stupid example, I think we all know that. But Liverpool have been sucessful. FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup under rafa, all they are missing is the league. That isn't a bad haul for a "shit manager lolorz"

Quote:
Leeds and Liverpool have shown the opposite.
Except Leeds, as I explained above Liverpool did quite well. No one can compete with Chelsea (21 million Wright-Phillips lol) or Man Utd (30 million for Rooney) when Liverpool go spend stupid money like that, then ye sure say they cant compete. And ffs Leeds was managed by O'Leary. Do I need to say much more?

Quote:
Yet far less clubs have won the Premiership (since its creation) than have won the European Cup.
FU*K

FU*K

FU*K

FOOTBALL WAS CREATED BEFORE 1992. SKY DID NOT CREATE FU*KING FOOTBALL.

Quote:
Of course the cup has a magic. It's the unpredictability and the potential for an upset with an immediate consequence, which is more difficult to sustain for 38 games.
The cup certainly is magic, thats why players play football for the "big" teams because they want to play football in Europe against the best. If pompey were in Europe they could attract better players and it goes on from there.

Quote:
I have always considered the European Cup to be the icing on the cake. to win it is to declare that you are the best team in Europe. Yet without that Championship trophy (or at least having one in recent memory) it all rings a bit hollow and stinks of unworthiness.
I agree and disagree. The European Cup is the cake. Any trophy room the European Cup will take pride. It is the wedding cake of cakes. Sure you can eat a cake every season but you cant get married every year. Unless you are spanish and your neam Real.

Quote:
A consistant team wins the league. A lucky team wins the cup.
When the European Cup was for champions etc, then that idea goes out the window? Villa won the league, then they won the European Cup. Forest won the league, then the European cup etc etc. I see what you mean now, but consistency in Europe is an art form as well.

A great team are a team who achieve the results at all levels, not just against Wigan away on a Monday night 7.45 kick off (another horrible sky invention).
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 17:38   #53
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Football existed before Sky. I like to call it "Barclays League Division 1". The fact that football in this country is now run in an absolutely shit and unfair manner where only a few teams with massive finance can hope to succeed is pretty relevant to us having only a few winners. But i'm sure the greedy chairmen who formed the premier knew what they were doing making sure that only about 4 teams would play better football and the other 16 were left working out how best to survive. Their answer, by the way has been to ask the fans to dig deeper into their pockets and exploit their loyalty.

European Cup is far greater in status and in bragging rights btw - you have to beat top top teams to win it, and there's far less margin for error than in the Premiership. It's a very different cup competition to say the FA Cup, where you might not even meet a premiership team til the final (hello scummers). You have to beat top sides all the time in Europe - in the prem there are maybe 4-5 top sides, 6-8 decent ones and the rest are either crap or just shot of confidence.

Last edited by lokken; 12 Jan 2007 at 17:44.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 17:42   #54
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Lokken has just sumemd up nicely exactly how I feel. The man is a genius.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 18:45   #55
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I could start quoting everyone, but for the last few hours it looks like everyone went on a posting spree - so my post would just end up incoherent and full of babble. So instead I'm going to attempt to explain my thoughts in a little more detail and hopefully by doing that answer some of what pig, etc, say.

There are two main reasons why the Champions League no londer holds for me the reverence that it once did. The 1997 introduction of domestic runners-up, and then the 1999 allowance of 3rd/4th placed teams into the tournament completely devalued it, while the addition of extra group stages meant that it turned into a survival of the fittest rather than a process to find out who the true Champions of Europe are.

There aren't many teams who have been able to win the bigger Champions League and their own title in the same season without being true champions of Europe. Barcelona did it last year, Porto did it two years before that (although the Portuguese league isn't especially strong, much like the Dutch league). Milan finished 3rd in Serie A in 2002/3 and of course Liverpool finished 5th in the year they lifted the trophy.

The European Cup was the great trophy to win because it confirmed a team as the true European Champion. The English successes of Liverpool and Notts Forest are great demonstrations of this, as are the consecutive wins of Ajax (1971-3) and Bayern Munich (1974-6). This just doesn't happen anymore - the favourites get knocked out far too often. I put a lot of this down to the stresses of a European Cup run combined with a full domestic schedule.

Liverpool's victory in 2004/5 is testament to this. Poor (by their own standards) in the league all season and never in the title race, they were free to concentrate on cup silverware. Dumped out of the FA Cup at the first stage by Burnley, Liverpool were left with the Carling Cup and Champions League as the only two sources of a trophy. They lost the Carling Cup final to Chelsea in March 2005, leaving them free to put all of their resources towards Champions League success whereas other teams could not (all the other semi-finalists were in the domestic title hunt, finishing either 1st or 2nd in their respective title races).

So what now confirms a team as being a great team? The European Cup no longer exists; the Champions League is just not the same anymore. Teams like Barcelona, AC Milan and Man United repeatedly won their leagues and then proved that they deserved to be on a higher pedestal by winning the Champions League as well. But if you can't win your own league in the first place, then there is no greatness to be confirmed - you clearly can't beat your domestic rivals on a regular basis let alone dominate Europe.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 19:51   #56
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have to say that i think the European Cup has dramatically improved by the addition of the runners up and the 3rd and 4th placed teams in certain countries.

I realise i am in a minority however.

The major problem most people have is the name - the 'champions league' - well, rename the competition - the elite league, or just, the european cup.

I think the competition has improved markedly, because i think showing you can beat Barcelona and Real Madrid in one season probably means more than showing you can beat Barcelona and Olympiakos in one season. The quality of some of the teams that dont neccesarily win the league is incredibly high - shown of course by the fact that some teams have finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th in their league and gone on to lift the cup.

I think as well - what with the sky-ification of football being inevitable - if players such as gerrard, riquelme etc didnt get a chance to play in the champions league - they would move to the very few clubs that did have a chance. It would just further concentrate the talent in every league in the world.

Another point is that the Premiership wouldnt be as interesting - not only do we have the title race, but you have the race to be in the top 4 and get into the champions league, the race to get top 6 or 7 and get into the UEFA cup. If it was 'title or bust', there wouldnt be much reason to be interested in either Arsenal or Liverpool this season by now, never mind bolton, pompey, spurs, etc etc.

I think as well to answer the Premiership vs Champions league question, it depends on the club, and the fans (as well as the league)

In Scotland, or any of the other second tier leagues, Europe is more important, because the domestic thing 'has been done'. Certainly for celtic/rangers, Europe is always the priority because of the nature of the SPL.

It does depend on the club though - for Chelsea the Champions League is more important than the Prem, because theyve won the prem twice in a row and because they are dying for recognition as a real force.

For Man Utd, if they had the choice this year, i think they would take the League, because they arent used to going this long without winning it, and because Alex is determined to prove Jose doesnt have his number.

For Arsenal, i read what you are saying, but i truly believe the Champions League would be #1 on the boards wishlist - especially after coming so heartbreakingly close last year.

For Liverpool, they won the Champions League recently, and it was so magical that it doesnt feel like it can be repeated so soon, and theyve been also rans in the premiership since 1990, so theres no doubt the League is what they want.

Different people, different priorities

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 19:51   #57
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Lots of stuff about european football
The integrity of the European Cup has been spoiled by allowing runners up etc., of this there is no doubt. However in the days when football didn't exist the UEFA cup was actually a ****ing hard competition to win, as you had a load of 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed teams from the top leagues to beat if you wanted to win.

While they've devalued the european cup in one sense, they've added to it in another sense because the best teams from the best leagues in europe are now playing each other on a regular basis. There are plenty of top teams in Italy, England and Spain that are better than the champions of several countries in europe. The result has been that the eastern european sides have been in decline for some time (cos they have to prequalify), having to live off the scraps of the UEFA cup, which is now a joke competition. In football terms, the European Cup (or what's left of it) is now a harder competition to win, with the UEFA cup now being so devalued, dire sides like Middlesbrough managed by McLaren can reach the UEFA cup final.

But the European Cup for all it's fault, for however much it's been ****ed up by the corporate suits, is still just as hard, if not harder. We'll take the opinion of someone who has lived through both eras to determine what's got the best bragging rights and his footballing pedigree is a lot higher than any of ours:

"For all his horses, knighthoods and championships, he hasn't got two of what I've got. And I don't mean balls." - on Sir Alex Ferguson's failure to match his record of two European Cup wins.

No prizes for who that is.

Liverpool weren't the best side in England when they won it. Forest weren't either, considering they did it slap bang in the middle of Liverpool's golden era. I don't think we should treat their achievement any different apart from the fact that Clough built up Forest from nothing and other people's castoffs.
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 13:01   #58
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Notts Forest

Who the **** are they?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 13:42   #59
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste

Who the **** are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Nottingham Forest Football Club is an English football club, based at the City Ground, which is outside the boundary of Nottingham on the south side of the River Trent. The ground is in the town of West Bridgford in the borough of Rushcliffe. The club lies directly across the Trent from its city allies, Notts County.

Their name is often incorrectly abbreviated to Notts Forest. Fans of the club hugely dislike the team being referred to by this name. This is because 'Notts' is an abbreviation of Nottinghamshire which is the name of their rivals across the river.
Next you'll be telling me that you don't like David Platt either
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 13:52   #60
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
or playing Real Madrid instead of Reading
When did you last beat Real Madrid?
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 17:29   #61
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
In terms of skill, finesse etc probably not. However no one will remember Arsenal for playing sexy football. But they will remember Liverpool for winning the European Cup. It is like Argentina in the previous WC, arguably they played the best football of the tournament. I reckon in a few years people wont remember it, it will be about the great Italian team effort that won it. Not the sexy football of the argies.
I probably will. But that's because I give a shit about good football, not results.
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 00:54   #62
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

While Watford were very poor, 3-0 win was a good way to bounce back.

Did anyone else watch the game? Did you see the huge difference having Reina in goal had, the whole defence played better.

Reina is leading the clean sheet charts this season, despite the "confidence crisis" he had early season, and got a lot of stick for. Blackburns goal is the only one he has conceded in the last 12 or 13 games.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 02:17   #63
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

credit to rafa for the 3-4-3, it utilised the strengths while covering up the lack of fit (or able) wide players.

The real test, as ive said repeatedly, however - is whether liverpool can cut it against the big teams under benitez

Unread 14 Jan 2007, 02:32   #64
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly see us beating chelsea next week, while they had a 4-0 win today, it was mostly down to Wigan being so poor. I mean Lampards goal was unbelievable defending and the passback for Robbens goal was just hilarous.

Can see us almost certianly winning if Cech and/or Terry aren't back.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Unread 14 Jan 2007, 02:44   #65
pig
1up on you

BBC Guy - "Are you signing anyone in this transfer window?"
Marinho - "Yes we are signing someone on monday, 50 million"
BBC Guy - "Great, that is interesting, who is it?"
Marinho - "The best goalkeeper in the world, cech he is back"

Went something like that, showed what a character marinho is.

I reckon Liverpool will lose to Chelsea.

A friend of mine who is a chelsea fan says that whenever chelsea have a bad spell marinho takes the flack and goes into the media spotlight. To take attention off the team. I dont think this is a bad call and I reckon come liverpool chelsea will pose a serious threat.
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 02:46   #66
lokken
BlueTuba

Make no mistake Chelsea will want to send out a message to the rest of the league and they will pull out the stops to absolutely cane Liverpool. With Robben in the team, it's definitely possible.
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 02:54   #67
Stifler

yes and we are going to want/need to win badly to close on them, anyway whatever the result it should be a cracking game.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Unread 20 Jan 2007, 15:47   #68
lokken
BlueTuba

Benitez out FFS
Unread 20 Jan 2007, 16:08   #69
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

2-0
I think the kop will be a bit more forgiving now.
Unread 20 Jan 2007, 16:44   #70
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Benitez out
Seconded.

Oh wait, no liverpool supporters saying this too? How shocking.
Unread 20 Jan 2007, 18:17   #71
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

good thing you didnt actually read the thread, but as an arsenal fan i wouldnt expect your eyesight to be top quality

great game, i stick by everything i said though.

Unread 20 Jan 2007, 19:36   #72
Stifler

Quote:
Benitez out FFS
lol

why? heh

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Unread 20 Jan 2007, 19:36   #73
Stifler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
great game, i stick by everything i said though.

including that we cant beat the other 3 teams in the top4 in the league?

edit: This match was Rafas 100th league game with Liverpool, and he has 56 wins in that time. Compared to other Liverpool managers who are as follows:

Kenny Dalglish (61)
Bill Shankly (56)
Bob Paisley (54)
Gerard Houllier (49)
Roy Evans (48)

He is else better then both Wenger and Ferguson, who have 54 and 45 respectively.

All this just shows that anyone who says Rafa should quit because he is crap and doesnt understand the premier league are quite frankly talking out of theor arse.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Last edited by Stifler; 20 Jan 2007 at 19:45.
Unread 20 Jan 2007, 19:54   #74
Stifler

Sky:
- Were you confident when you saw Chelsea's team sheet?
Rafa:
- I was confident when I saw my own team sheet

Liked this quote in the postmatch interview as well

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Unread 20 Jan 2007, 19:59   #75
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sky:
- Were you nervous about giving Rafa Benitez head?
Stifler:
- No, I'd knocked out my own teeth beforehand just in case.
Unread 21 Jan 2007, 18:57   #76
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I would like to take this moment to declare my unconditional love for Thierry Henry.

The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 22 Jan 2007, 10:53   #77
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Benitez out FFS
aw, I'll pwotect woo fwom the big bwaad bwenitezzzz

yus i will yus i will yus i will
Unread 22 Jan 2007, 17:20   #78
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

He's so passionate and expressive, I'd be very afraid of him.
I once saw him JUMP off the bench. Really, I'm not lying.
Unread 22 Jan 2007, 17:35   #79
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
He's so passionate and expressive, I'd be very afraid of him.
I once saw him JUMP off the bench. Really, I'm not lying.
Wasn't that into the crowd when they were calling 'Baldy, Baldy Fat Fat'?