User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

View Poll Results: Which Name should be used for Round 20?
The New Guard 7 5.30%
Fight for Recognition 19 14.39%
The Legacies of War 19 14.39%
A New Decade 20 15.15%
Beyond the Stars 5 3.79%
Cloaked Clusters 2 1.52%
Dawn of Chaos 25 18.94%
Close Encounters 5 3.79%
Hopes Spring 3 2.27%
Orbital Shift 27 20.45%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 19 Jan 2007, 02:42   #51
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Round 20 Name Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by magistar
Well, we didnt suggest it.
And come on, this is supposed to be a game. We saw an oppurtunity to have a good laugh and took it. Just because we tried to make the rest of the PA community the butt of this joke doesn't mean everyone has to get all pissy. Those who do take this WAY too seriously. Besides, it's not like you have to play, if you hate the name so much
Although I wouldn't expect you to know this, I don't actually play PA anymore. However, that doesn't stop me from looking out for the game and caring about it more than many other people do. I believe that 'minor' aesthetics such as the name of a round can be very important to new players, whereas many regulars simply wouldn't give a damn. It's all about how PA looks as opposed to what PA is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchi
hmm and would alot of the Dawn of Chaos votes come from New Dawn like everyother time dawn apears in a choice??

the fact that it was there to be voted in the first place means it was okayd before voting anyway cos if they though it was bad it wouldn't be in the list
Yes, Dawn is an extremely popular word in round names. However, all proposals referring to ND were canned, as you'd expect - such as the suggestion "The New Dawn". Moreover, I haven't necessarily been pulling any punches with PA Team's shortlist either - I was clear at the time that it was necessary to avoid any names that refer to alliances, and the failure to do so in respect of Orbit is as irritating to me as a round name containing the word "Angels".
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 02:48   #52
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
there iz sum supa p0stin in dis thred yo' !

remember...
u dont matter enjoy ur day

and i think "Honorable Grammar Police Awards" are next door... And you should hurry up coz u have good chance of winning and might miss it
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 03:02   #53
Hutchi
BlueTuba 4Eva

Hutchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koks
:/ I think this round will just be refered to in memory as R20...
i think this sums it up as who ever refers to a round by the name??? its always the number when you talk to ppl about rounds
rnd 21->26 - Orbit HC
rnd 27 - LAZY git
rnd 28 -> Current Orbit HC

The quiet people change the world!
The loud people claim they did!
Hutchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 08:32   #54
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

i was the one who suggested orbital shift (orbital being a reference to the orbit of the planets, the reintroduction of clusters as a shift in gameplay and the way roids can also be referred to as orbitals and the way people fight so dearly for them), i also suggested close encounters (again, the closeness of the new clusters) and cloaked clusters (pretty self explanitory).

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO wITH tHE ALLIANCE ORBIT they didn't even know it existed. Granted it may unintentionally take the name of a very lesser established alliance, Orbit, but why is everyone getting so worked up over this? We had to go thro a list of 50+ suggestions, and many of them were things like 'Omen are Where' or 'The Destiny' or 'A New Dawn' or things like that which we automatically eliminated due to them being obvious alliance references.

At the end of the day, the people voted, and Orbital Shift won. If there's valid grounds to revoke it then let's hear it it doesnt mater all too much to me.

Just get off Orbit's back please?

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 09:15   #55
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Its not orbits fault that the round name is being voted on no, but it is rather faggy of them to go "omg theres a round name which has orbit in it, lets go make everyone vote for it"
Thats the main cause as far as i can tell for this anti-orbit hostility. Not the name itself ( the word orbit was around long before they were after all )

It was a bit of a noob command mistake to 'endorse' it by MAsta_MArk.

Besides, most of the other names 'eliminated' was not because they had an alliance name in them, but because they were shit to begin with. At least that was my impression of a vast majority of the submissions
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 09:28   #56
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have to concur with Phil here. It's a competent round name, not my favourite but other people do like it. No-one's attacking your submission of the name, tuxed0.

A lot of terrible round names are suggested every round, but there's always enough gems to make a decent poll. Forum posters usually choose one of my favourite five - in fact, the names ranked 2-5 are all in that personal top five. It's just a shame that we use first-past-the-post for voting and not a system such as alternative vote where you indicate preferences

If this poll had been conducted with tickboxes (tick which ones you like) then Orbital Shift wouldn't have won. Sorry but it's true, and that's because of Orbit.
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 09:35   #57
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

you're prolly right furball - I'd have preferred a multiple choice one also but whats done is done (unless they want to reopen the voting and pick another?). for the record i didn't realise MM publically endorsed it, that was a bit of a mistake - but to be fair I think only about 4 Orbit members voted for the name (I was talking to MM on irc). Never mind eh, most important thing now is getting the races and stats fixed, eh?

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 09:40   #58
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

a whole 4? Now thats command authority
Im going to be giggling all day now
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 12:40   #59
MAsta_MArk
Welsh palestinian!

MAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to behold

Well i didnt go "Everyone Go vote for ORBITAL SHIFT"
I gave a link to them in the priv channel and told them to go vote.

And as for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
a whole 4? Now thats command authority
Im going to be giggling all day now
You do relise that we are what people would class as one of those smaller alliances? So you know, we dont have mass support, most of our players are enjoying the time off and and comeing back now, checking when round starts, stats etc.
People try to help smaller alliances but then people like you decide to just take the piss out of them.
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 13:29   #60
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAsta_MArk
Well i didnt go "Everyone Go vote for ORBITAL SHIFT"
I gave a link to them in the priv channel and told them to go vote.

And as for

You do relise that we are what people would class as one of those smaller alliances? So you know, we dont have mass support, most of our players are enjoying the time off and and comeing back now, checking when round starts, stats etc.
People try to help smaller alliances but then people like you decide to just take the piss out of them.
mark, mark, mark. you're just making things worse for yourself.
The best thing to do would have been to let it go and slip into obscurity since in a few days it would have been a complete nonissue.
Just as the best thing to do in the beginning was avoiding drawing the parallel between a round name and your alliance name since it could only end badly for you.

Besides im not making fun of orbit, im making fun of your (seemingly lack of) authority.
A hc says jump and the members all ask in unison - how high , etc.
if 4 members are all you could reach, then unless your alliance has about 6-8 people its pretty bad no matter how you try to spin it.
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 14:05   #61
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

Quote:
Besides im not making fun of orbit, im making fun of your (seemingly lack of) authority.
A hc says jump and the members all ask in unison - how high , etc.
if 4 members are all you could reach, then unless your alliance has about 6-8 people its pretty bad no matter how you try to spin it.
Phil^, that's just malicious and mean. Let's just drop it now, and all retire to our caves for some pie?

Unread 19 Jan 2007, 14:07   #62
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-
Phil^, that's just malicious and mean. Let's just drop it now, and all retire to our caves for some pie?
i could have been much worse but was half-hearted in the application
anyway, apple pie?
Alternatively you could have some cookies?
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 14:45   #63
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
phil^, you're being totally out of orbit.
So, im an (inter)stellar bloke? \o/
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 14:47   #64
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
i could have been much worse but was half-hearted in the application
anyway, apple pie?
Alternatively you could have some cookies?
That was written by people from Canterbury uni! (they still work there, I recongised the guy who added the bug fix in because I have many e-mails from him).
we all rock. this is the sort of thing i'll end up writing when I leave uni and people will quote it on the internet. hurray
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 14:48   #65
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
phil^, you're being totally out of orbit.
Orbit you he's just orbit stressed
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 16:38   #66
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wait, since when does anyone even remotely care about the name of a round.
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 17:12   #67
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Wait, since when does anyone even remotely care about the name of a round.
Given that only 27 people voted for the winner I'd say you have a good point there.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 20:05   #68
Crowly
Orbit HC

Crowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to behold

Everyone should totally declare war on Orbit because of this. Those damn, hateful, pa killing bastards need to die!
Crowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 21:08   #69
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

edit: nvm...
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2007, 01:29   #70
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

A new decade seemed more appropriate than orbital shift for me due to the new 5th race
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2007, 08:10   #71
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Or we could go the J.R.R. Tolkien route and name it 'The Battle of the Five Armies'.