User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Jan 2007, 21:58   #1
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Question Migrationwatch: Does this make any sense to you?

From this article on immigration:

"Foreign workers were reducing pay rates by accepting lower wages, prompting many of the unemployed to remain on benefits rather than look for work." And: "Immigration is not essential to our economic growth. Wages should be allowed to rise to make lower paid jobs worthwhile and to encourage productivity. Increasing productivity is the only way that a nation can become richer," Migrationwatch said.

There are a few points that make no sense to me, but the crux of my quandary is the claim that higher wages = increased productivity. Surely if immigrants take up jobs at lower wages they'll be an increase in productivity, not a decrease?

I see decreasing wages in the less skilled sectors as a good argument against immigration, but not productivity. Am I missing something?
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 22:31   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Migrationwatch: Does this make any sense to you?

They're probably misusing the term 'productivity'. In the sense they're speaking it's probably amount of wealth generated by the employee per hour (which isn't the usual definition - quite the opposite).

Arguably if a job pays more then there will be a higher rate of productivity for each hour worked per employee, but again that wouldn't be the normal terminology (since productivity is usually measured by comparing output to labour cost).*

Alternately they could just be talking about productivity among the current (English) unemployed.

* = http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/Brie...ic_benefit.asp - here they seem to be talking about productivity in a completely independent sense - i.e. we don't need immigrants for the economy to grow.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 22:35   #3
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The second possibility is a little stupid; if someone wants to do a job at a lower rate I can't see how that equates to them being less productive.

I'm guessing it's the third, and thus they're idiots.
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 23:05   #4
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

It's quite simple: as long as wages are kept low (due to the influx of immigrant workers who keep the market oversupplied), there will be no incentive for the employer to rationalize, invest in new equipment (constant capital) and so on. Thereby the productivity per hour will remain low.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 00:08   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
It's quite simple: as long as wages are kept low (due to the influx of immigrant workers who keep the market oversupplied), there will be no incentive for the employer to rationalize, invest in new equipment (constant capital) and so on. Thereby the productivity per hour will remain low.
But surely this undercuts their point? Increased capital investment would similarly drive wages / employment down in the same way as immigration? Both immigrant and capital asset in theory replaces the work of the "indigenous" worker.

edit : Also, looking purely at economics misses the point about the immigration debate I thnk.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 03:01   #6
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

I havent checked out the webby thats beeing refered too, nor do I think I would agree with all of it (to be diplomatic).

To widen my first post:

1) Market conditions (labour oversupply or undersupply etc) effect not only the prices of wages directly (competition between employers for the labour), but it also gives increased prices of labour trough the strenghtening of labour trough politics and labour unions.

2) Trough political parties and unions labour can advocate shorter days and better protection at the work place.

3) Yes, as Dante point out: higher wages will lead to workers beeing replaced with machines. That leads to better productivity. More investment in constant capital (machines) make the price of labour a lesser factor. And thats good, so the price of labour can continue to rise.

4) The whole point is to increase productivity per hour of labour. Indeed, if you look at it for a greath deal of time, its vital that it rises per hour. If not, you don't really have any gain.

Let me take two examples.
GDP rises in a country with 2%. At the same time there is increased population. So that productivity per hour has not risen. Meaning that the purchasing power (or level of weath as it is also called) has not risen. The country stands where it is.

Soviet invested heavily in industry. Up to the begining of the 70's they had quite a good growth per year (GDP-wise). However, that growth stopped and then later turned slightly negative. Becouse there was no increase in productivity per hour worked, in the end there would be no rise in GDP per capita. Soviet failed to make the labour more effective (like improving education), failed to develop new ways of producing and new machines.

Ofcourse you can increase the number of hours that each worker must work. But you cannot do this a) for ever b) without cost.
A worker that works longer is most likely less productive per hour, more prone to injuries, less able to develop himself/herself as a human beeing and thus find ways to increase productivity.

The scandinavian model should be looked as an example of how a "high-cost, high productivity" economy can work.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 03:39   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That appears to be a difference of perspective. Productivity by the nation, per capita or by the company/industry in question.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 07:15   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
I see decreasing wages in the less skilled sectors as a good argument against immigration
Why? You dont have a right to a low-skilled job just because youve got white skin. If immigrants are willing to accept lower wages and still manage to live then good luck to them. Anyway, it would probably be possible for the British workers to learn a new skill which would make them more employable than some random low-skilled immigrant - its not like we dont have countless opportunities for education in this country.

Last edited by Nodrog; 4 Jan 2007 at 07:57.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 11:08   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Why? You dont have a right to a low-skilled job just because youve got white skin. If immigrants are willing to accept lower wages and still manage to live then good luck to them.
I don't think it's about "the right to have a job" rather than about people earning a decent wage. Yes, immigrants can "manage to live", but is that enough? And this isn't just about low-skilled work either, there are plenty of immigrants to the US who are qualified programmers (see also the H-1B issue) and a lot of the immigrants from Eastern Europe to Britain are at least semi-skilled in things like construction. In either case, wages could be depressed (whether they are or not is another issue).

Having said this, I'd still reject the idea that immigrants are to "blame" for this - while we have global inequality you're going to have migration of this kind and businesses would be stupid not to utilise it. Obviously there are issues where people blatantly misuse migrant (especially illegal) labour, and there does seem to be a missed opportunity among unions in organising in new communities. America, which is a bit further ahead of Europe in this regard, has shown some movement here recently.

In any case, the entire demographic / welfare / workforce structure of Europe seems to be totally unsustainable and immigrants are only going to be a temporary solution at best.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 18:40   #10
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Why? You dont have a right to a low-skilled job just because youve got white skin. If immigrants are willing to accept lower wages and still manage to live then good luck to them. Anyway, it would probably be possible for the British workers to learn a new skill which would make them more employable than some random low-skilled immigrant - its not like we dont have countless opportunities for education in this country.
I agree with what you've said; however I'm assuming migrationwatch want to sway public opinion against immigration.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 18:45   #11
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Quote:
I don't buy it. The employer would surely rationalise and invest in new equipment to increase profit margins, regardless of how much they pay their workers.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 18:53   #12
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

You don't buy it? Oh well.

Both theory and practise tells us that you are wrong, so I frankly don't care if you buy it or not. Just go to any country with really low wages for manual labour (like India).
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 18:57   #13
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

You're comparing companies in a third-world country to ones in developed countries.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 19:44   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
4) The whole point is to increase productivity per hour of labour. Indeed, if you look at it for a greath deal of time, its vital that it rises per hour. If not, you don't really have any gain.
The 'per hour' part of 'productivity per hour' is surely redundant; noone measures productivity by GDP alone but by GDP per capita which, based on reasonable assumptions, is the same as GDP per hour worked by for some constant scale.

Also, the current economic climate isn't necessarily 'ripe' for heavy capital expenditure for want of interest rates being reasonably high and set to continue to rise, and the strength of the pound narrowing avenues for export. And since immigrant labour is being supplied at under-the-odds, it seems probable that the gross product a company gets out of that unit of labour is higher than for existing members (yeah yeah, diminishing returns), which to me sounds like a net increase in productivity.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 21:29   #15
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

And Im not employed to spell it out for any idiot either.

Unless someone decides to pay me.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 21:47   #16
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Although I shudder to do it, I must agree with Zhukov (there that was definitely a shudder but I shall go on).

A local example, in California, of what is being discussed is rasin production. Illegal immigration supplies a low-cost alternative to innovation and mechanization of the rasin production process.

Short term this has meant that investment in research of better ways to produce raisins suffered. Additionally, when new methods came to the fore in other countries, there was no incentive to investing in the equipment. The farmers were able to maintain their profits by using cheap labor. However, in the longer run, the cost to produce rasins in other countries has continued to fall because, even with higher wages for the machine operators, the per unit cost of the raisin has continued to fall where mechanization and new methods have been employed. In California, the only way to bring down cost is to pay even lower wages to those who supply the labor to produce the grapes.

This means that at least some workers leave the field (so to speak) rather than accepting lower wages, especially in California where welfare benefits are much higher than elsewhere. So, it becomes necessary to bring in even more low income illegal aliens to stay even moderately competitive.

However, minimum wage laws make it impossible to pay the lowest paid workers less. Wages are not elastic downward in this case. The result is that California rasins are becoming more expensive to produce than in other areas which have adapted because labor was in greater demand and shorter supply.

Now, the situation is that the raisin industry in California is going to have to upgrade their machinery and techniques. This is going to cause a dislocation in the market for labor which will cause even more people to go on welfare and/or cause wages in other marginal occupations to fall because of additional desperate people on the job market.

Non-artificial shortages of any part of the production process, promote innovation to overcome the shortage.

Unskilled, low-priced labor reduces the need to innovate. It also reduces the need for skilled, better-paid labor. Thus it perpetuates poverty.

Migration from areas with plentiful supplies of people desperate to work for any wage however low, is going to have a negative effect on the new country.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 22:28   #17
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I doubt you're qualified.
I am.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 22:53   #18
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Yes but this is just comparative advantage*, perhaps the US is not best suited to a raisin market. You should give California back to the Mexicans anyway.

America was built by immigrants and people working for low wages.

*Although I think that the concept of Comparative advantage is something of a myth.
You seem to be flailing a bit.

The method you are looking for to counter the 'zhukov/dda point' is a two pronged attack designed to highlight their disapproval for their own arguments. You might try the following:

1) in re zhukov point out that his argument is essentially 'migrant workers willing to work for low wages delays the increased mechanisation of production' then calmly remind him that once production is mechanised nobody is employed at all to do those jobs and this is BAD for the workers. He should then logically concede that there is nothing obvious wrong with allowing immigrants to work those jobs should they so wish.

2) in re dda point out that immigrant workers willing to work for low pay effectively cushion the small business during the transition to improved mechanisation and highlight that well run businesses will choose to become more efficient or not on their own. if the existence of unskilled labour makes badly run businesses delay investing in efficiency then it doesn't matter because better run businesses will have made the choice to improve efficiency: those businesses who fall will be replaced.

And to anyone who suggests that the presence of unskilled labour in a market place discourages the existence of skilled labour I suggest you just laugh at their suggestion that the existence of macdonalds restaurant staff threatens the number of doctors in a society.

Good hunting young one

xxx
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 22:58   #19
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Yes but this is just comparative advantage*, perhaps the US is not best suited to a raisin market. You should give California back to the Mexicans anyway.

America was built by immigrants and people working for low wages.

*Although I think that the concept of Comparative advantage is something of a myth.
What a bunch of crap.

California is ideally suited to rasin production. It is a huge grape producer.

America was built by immigrants but Amrerica has historically been a country with high wages as compared to other areas. Even in colonial days, America had high wages.

And yes the Mexicans are a marvelous group with nothing but a long string of successes in supporting the rights of their citizens and producing a vibrant economy with a high standard of living for their people. Americans have only drug California down and that is why it is the hell hole that it is. This is why we can't keep Californians from sneaking across the border into Mexico to savor the good life in that country. We are a disgrace.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 23:20   #20
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
You seem to be flailing a bit.

The method you are looking for to counter the 'zhukov/dda point' is a two pronged attack designed to highlight their disapproval for their own arguments. You might try the following:

1) in re zhukov point out that his argument is essentially 'migrant workers willing to work for low wages delays the increased mechanisation of production' then calmly remind him that once production is mechanised nobody is employed at all to do those jobs and this is BAD for the workers. He should then logically concede that there is nothing obvious wrong with allowing immigrants to work those jobs should they so wish.
It may be bad for the migrants but i don't think the article was pointing out the plight of people from other coutries. It seemed to me that it was talking about whether or not the host country was ultimately benefited by the migration. Clearly a rational discussion. Whether or not a country is benefited economically by immigration depends on the contry and the situation. Mexico is benefited by the exodous of uneducated, poor people from Mexico to the US. It is debatable as to whether the US is similarly benefited.

Quote:
2) in re dda point out that immigrant workers willing to work for low pay effectively cushion the small business during the transition to improved mechanisation and highlight that well run businesses will choose to become more efficient or not on their own. if the existence of unskilled labour makes badly run businesses delay investing in efficiency then it doesn't matter because better run businesses will have made the choice to improve efficiency: those businesses who fall will be replaced.
This doesn't talk about what happens when the choices are made and the efficiency in a particular sector goes up. Where do all of the unemployed go? Do we say, "Thank you very much, now go home?" Not in this country at least.

Quote:
And to anyone who suggests that the presence of unskilled labour in a market place discourages the existence of skilled labour I suggest you just laugh at their suggestion that the existence of macdonalds restaurant staff threatens the number of doctors in a society.
It does affect the ratio of doctor to patient rather dramaticly. The emergency health care system in California is verging on collapse because of the additional pressures put on the system by a population which is increasing rapidly at one end and slowly at the other. The pressure on the educational system is also signifigant.

I am neither advocating not opposing immigration by what I have said. Immigration policies are very complicated matters depending on the goals and values of a society. To indicate that they are all good or all bad is naive and foolish.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 23:25   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

A lot of Zhukov's argument assumes that there is mechnical / capital investment which can be undertaken. That is obviously the case in industrial (and many agricultural) jobs, but it's not quite clear that they are the jobs most immigrants actually do (in Britain today at least).

The British economy is dominated by service sector jobs and immigrants are often employed in areas where it isn't always as easy to "mechanise". Cleaners, bus drivers, waiters, etc - these jobs may one day be done by machines, but at present there is only very limited amount of capital investment one can undertake. Even with things like construction - an area which does have quite a bit of mechanisation - the remaining jobs (plumbers, electricians, labourers, bricklayers, carpenters, etc) aren't directly mechanisable. Productivity in these areas can be raised by better use of IT (e.g. PDAs for work orders) but that's not really related to wage levels (since it doesn't really replace the need for any workers).
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 23:31   #22
dda
USS Oklahoma

Do you think that the pressure of low income workers helps or hinders the growth of wages in the service areas?
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 23:35   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Do you think that the pressure of low income workers helps or hinders the growth of wages in the service areas?
In the short term it almost certainly helps depress wages in any sector where there are a large amount of immigrants (as I said earlier in this thread). I'm not sure about the longer term.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 00:38   #24
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
In what way?
1) Studying economics in university.
2) Studying economics trough studies of marxism and imperialism.
3) Studying economical history.
4) Keeping up to date on news about outsorcing, moving of production, moving of services, moving of labour, subsidies, new production methods, how firms react to pressure on margins, etc etc.

Now can you please enlighten me why you are qualified to post about this?
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 01:29   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

At least when mark does a fizhicks thread to death he provides arguments based on maths or provides relevant links. Neither of which you have done.

Oh no he didn't!

OH YES HE DID!
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:00   #26
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Yes but so what?

America is traditionally a place of high inequality. In colonial times you had slaves, don't get much cheaper then that.

What have the rights of Mexican citizens got to do with anything, I thought we were talking about economics before? I was pointing out that its amusing to steal someone's land and then complain when they try to get back in that the immigrants are dragging the place down.
Your arguments keep getting sillier. Maybe you should try the other half of the arse for your half arsed replies.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:06   #27
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Yes but so what?

America is traditionally a place of high inequality. In colonial times you had slaves, don't get much cheaper then that.

What have the rights of Mexican citizens got to do with anything, I thought we were talking about economics before? I was pointing out that its amusing to steal someone's land and then complain when they try to get back in that the immigrants are dragging the place down.
America as such didn't really exist untill the civil war. The Lousiana Purchase and the settlement of California et cetera happened later as far as I know.

And for crying out loud, America has been a melting pot of several cultures untill the manifest destinty slowly forged them into a single nation, and still, still there is the big coast vs. inland approach to life. So don't ever think America has a 'tradition' for the coming hundred years, ever.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:09   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

I remember when inequality in America ended with the civil war. In bizzaro world.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:33   #29
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
A lot of Zhukov's argument assumes that there is mechnical / capital investment which can be undertaken. That is obviously the case in industrial (and many agricultural) jobs, but it's not quite clear that they are the jobs most immigrants actually do (in Britain today at least).

The British economy is dominated by service sector jobs and immigrants are often employed in areas where it isn't always as easy to "mechanise". Cleaners, bus drivers, waiters, etc - these jobs may one day be done by machines, but at present there is only very limited amount of capital investment one can undertake. Even with things like construction - an area which does have quite a bit of mechanisation - the remaining jobs (plumbers, electricians, labourers, bricklayers, carpenters, etc) aren't directly mechanisable. Productivity in these areas can be raised by better use of IT (e.g. PDAs for work orders) but that's not really related to wage levels (since it doesn't really replace the need for any workers).
That's a very valid argument. And yes, there is problems raising productivity per hour in services. But its not impossible, and there are also other solutions.

Lets take some examples off how it be done.
1) Construction: Pre-fabrication. Your basicly build parts of the house or the whole house on a different site and then move the parts or the house to where it shal be built. This is already common in shipbuilding.
This leads to the possibility of serial production and "indstrialization" of construction.

2) Subway, a sandwich-chain, has introduced fordism (or assembly line) in the way it's employees make the sandwich.

3) Less persons on the job. For instance in a bar etc. The bartender serves more costumers per hour. This also means that the costumer might have to wait a bit. In Norway you have to wait and the price of manual labour is high. In India you dont have to wait, and the price of manual labour is very low.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:44   #30
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Zhukov, you are 'generally' approaching 'general' sectors, while you 'generally' asume a lot of things.
Things are going wrong you know when you are classifying service to production companies.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:48   #31
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

If you go to a Subway or a car plant, its still a assembly line, isnt it?

Point is that there is not always a clear distinction between services and production.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 02:53   #32
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

No shit sherlock, there are few services which do not have parts of a production item in them, even barristers who have to produce reports and archives and there are no production lines that are pure produres, since every buy has a contract and a contract is per definition a service. However it is also a matter of classifying.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 08:48   #33
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
What a bunch of crap.

California is ideally suited to rasin production. It is a huge grape producer.
Yes, but that misses the point of comparative advantage. Put simply, California might be good at growing raisins, but California is also good at a lot of other things; it might, therefore, be beneficial for California to decide to import raisins from another place which has few strengths except raisin production (apologies for the over-simplified example; there isn't really an economic entity called 'California' which 'decides' these things, but the point is that simply being 'good' at something doesn't make it the best use of your time and money).

Regarding immigrants in general, if people are willing to move to a country to work, and an employer there is willing to give them a job, what's the problem? Obviously, the work should be legal, and should, at the very least, meet the minimum standards set down in law. One thing we always seem to forget is the fact that immigrants are people too, and denying them the right to come here to work when someone would give them a job is quite unfair. I have little sympathy with the 'dirty foreigners are stealing our jobs!' argument.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 08:51   #34
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
To be honest I find this branch of economic theory to be dishonest.
I prefer to use the term disingenuous rather than imply deliberate malice but that's because i'm a softie.

Quote:
The reason I am not anti-immigration is that I am an internationalist
And I'm not anti-immigration because I'm a nationalist.

We're so cool.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 08:55   #35
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
No it isn't actually.

Which is why you should question what you're being taught.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 10:16   #36
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

There seems to be an inadvertent disregard, in this thread and Migrationwatch, on the difference between illegal immigrants and permanent legal immigrants.

Legal immigration is essential to economic growth because it profits a nation by welcoming additional taxpayers on top of right of blood and right of soil citizens. All a country really needs to do to acquire more legal immigrants is to ease up immigration laws and open up ports for other people to have the opportunity of working and living a way of life that's (most likely) better than where they came from.

Legal immigrants, since taxpayers, have rights to financial aid, educational and housing benefits, welfare, retirement and minimum wage as you would as citizens

Illegal immigrants/workers are a liability for both economic and societies because they are unclaimed, untaxed production in the work force, and with the nature of their residence makes their communities feel "threatened" of their presence.

A good fix for this is openly easing up immigration applications and laws, legalizing illegal immigrants, and then raising wages to encourage productivity.

There are other things though that are concerns regarding immigration other than a nation's economy. Using economics as an alibi because of harboring anti-immigration ideas by Migrationwatch is somewhat disturbing.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 11:27   #37
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Point is that there is not always a clear distinction between services and production.
No Subway that I have been in has been assembly-line esque in its production of my sandwich. Sure, things are laid out in a linear fashion, but that does not an assembly line make. One person cuts my bread, asks me what I want, puts stuff on it and then runs it through the till making sure to see if I want any crisps near the end.

Perhaps other Subway's run differently, ****ed if I know, just speaking from experience here. But assembly-line operation isn't efficient because things are laid-out in a linear fashion, but only because the people working a particular section of that line become very specialised (and shit-hot) at their tiny aspect of making the whole. At least from my experience, Subway is a non-example of this.

Also stop saying 'productivity per hour', it sounds retarded. I think we can assume that, like pretty much everyone else if you were to say 'productivity' we would assume some 'output per hour' metric. It's like saying 'output per hour per hour'; what is that, acceleration?
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 15:37   #38
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Well if you had studied economics seriously you should have realised by now that it is a fairly crude analytical tool and essentially an over-hyped branch of Sociology. The first mistakes most economists make is to think that things like cost, supply and demand are the main actors on economic behaviour. Of course they have a significant impact but they are often difficult to assess and with such massive government intervention and the clearly observable phenomena that neither corporations nor individuals act as purely rational economic actors its difficult to get excited about concepts like "high wages=innovation. What about Government investment in innovation = innovation" Or "high number of competitors=innovation." They all seem just as likely.

Beyond studying you need to give evidence that you have thought about these issues critically, just regurgitating text-book nonsense is not going to get you very far.

I admire your commitment though.
Oh give me a break from that.

I am well aware of the shortcomings of economics (for instance that people are always rational, that perfect information exist etc etc).
And as dda pointed out, this is not merely text-book nonsense.

It would be wiser for you to admit "defeat" then try to make a bigger fool out of yourself with these poor replies.

(and since you don't list your huge list of qualifications on this subject, I assume you really don't have any)

Last edited by G.K Zhukov; 5 Jan 2007 at 17:25.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 17:08   #39
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I just read through this thread about immigration of mine from nearly a year ago.

Some arguments made there might be relevant...

But yeh - it annoys me when people get Legal immigration and Illegal immigration mixed up.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 18:45   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

In this thread someone told someone else on the internet they had been defeated and my head exploded from the pressure.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 18:51   #41
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Your head asploded, you mean.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 19:04   #42
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
(and since you don't list your huge list of qualifications on this subject, I assume you really don't have any)
Oh dear Zhukov. A new low.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 19:19   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

Occasionally, in threads about working, where people don't explicitly list their jobs I assume they don't have one.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 19:23   #44
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Well, I can't tell if someone's posts are good or not until I've read their CV which means I'm mostly confused.
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 20:05   #45
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

It's still not quite as retarded a post as Kenny's 'Russian Space Pen' come-back but the race for jackass-of-the-year's hot hot hot!