User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Dec 2006, 17:35   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Hypothesize : The tiniest event that could have changed your life.

Im sure that in all of our lives there has been something you now look back on and realise was 'the turning point', where things went one way or another. Quite often it can be boiled down to the littlest thing - leaving your wallet in a bar, going back for it and meeting your future wife, or something similarly hollywood. What is it for you? In my case.

The small event

Bobo balde lunging in on Derlei and getting sent off in the UEFA Cup Final in 2003.

The Immediate aftermath

Celtic lost a final i am convinced (!) we would have otherwise won to a spawny deflected shot from derlei. Fireworks went off from Ibrox, and i got so mad that i started drinking and tanned a bottle of champagne in 'moral victory' in about 20 minutes. i kept drinking till about 3am before going home absolutely steamboats.

The medium term aftermath

I got up and went to my 9am Computing Higher (equiv of a or as level) Exam hungover as an absolute bastard, had to leave during it to be sick and couldnt concentrate. Despite the fact i was sitting on an 'A' for my coursework, i managed only to get an Int2A (Equivalent of a 'D') overall. I worked out at the time this must have meant i managed to get less than 7 out of 50 marks in an exam paper i clearly knew how to do.

The long term aftermath

I failed to get into Glasgow Uni because i was one B short - and by the time i got it on appeal (both in computing and german) entry was closed. Subsequently i ended up moving out and going to Stirling to study at 17, i hadnt even considered the possibility of moving out before. I changed my course from English to Politics

How would things have been different?

If i hadnt got out of my house and away from my parents, things - terrible as they are - would undoubtably have been much worse for me. All my old school friends in Glasgow started abusing drugs heavily - and not a single one of them is still in Uni (at least without having failed a year). Although i have done quite a lot of drugs, i havent abused to anything like the level my glasgow mates have, and even still they increase the 'downs' i get when some terrible things have gone on. Had i been in Glasgow doing english literature living at home with my parents and abusing all sorts of drugs (inc heroin) with my friends here, i think things would be a lot different.

Would i take the other road?

No. As much as i wanted that ****ing UEFA Cup, if i had gone home sober and passed that exam, things would have turned out terribly for me, there is a reasonable chance i wouldnt even be alive either directly from drug abuse, or indirectly along with other factors which would have excacerbated my mental health problems probably to a terminal conclusion.

Alright, your turn, use the format if it helps!

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2006, 18:15   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Hypothesize : The tiniest event that could have changed your life.

I don't get it, surely if you'd won the final you would have gotten utterly tarred anyways?

It's like the inverse of a catch 22 I believe.

Edit: My life has been more of a steady downhill slide since the age of 13 but I'll have a think about it and get back to you as regards one single life-altering event.

Double cowabunga edit: Arthur Guinness being born doesn't count does it?
Unread 24 Dec 2006, 21:56   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"I've been ripping the piss out of these twats who play this Planetarion game....but **** it, I'll sign up and see what it's like."

Six years later.......

If I hadn't started playing PA, I would probably have applied myself in my GCSEs and A-Levels and (hopefully) passed my Cambridge interview to do law. If I hadn't got in and still gone to Cardiff, I wouldn't have ****ed up my first year exams HCing Vengeance when I should have been revising. I would have had a better social life and a lot more sex as well
Unread 24 Dec 2006, 23:43   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I don't get it, surely if you'd won the final you would have gotten utterly tarred anyways?

It's like the inverse of a catch 22 I believe.

Edit: My life has been more of a steady downhill slide since the age of 13 but I'll have a think about it and get back to you as regards one single life-altering event.

Double cowabunga edit: Arthur Guinness being born doesn't count does it?
i wouldnt have got drunk in self righteous anger and put away a bottle of champagne faster than a seasoned shelf stacker.thanks for contributing positively to the thread though!

edit : arthur guiness doesnt count if seamus cliche o'malley doesnt count

Unread 25 Dec 2006, 00:23   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If I had been born a couple of days earlier I would have been in a different class in school, made different friends and my life would have been completely different. But probably just as pathetic.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2006, 00:24   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think about 41 minutes ago I was insulted by an angry scotsman and if that hadn't happened my head would have swelled to the point where it imploded in due to its own gravity field resulting in the end of the world and probably my death so that was a pretty big turning point.
Unread 25 Dec 2006, 00:45   #7
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
If I had been born a couple of days earlier I would have been in a different class in school, made different friends and my life would have been completely different. But probably just as pathetic.
If I had been born 2 weeks later I'd be an academic year younger and have different friends etc :crymeariver:
Unread 25 Dec 2006, 00:59   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Were I born 12 days later, I'd have been in a different year for junior international sports, and that might have made a significant difference.

Similarly, were I not introduced to PA, many many strange things would not have happened, and similarly for many other events.

My life is based upon a series of small chances.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2006, 04:43   #9
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

If not for a random PM to a girl in a chat room I was in last May, I would've never met my wife; and I'd have far less stress, and probably more money.

Edit: I can't believe this was my 500th post...I've spent too much time here lately.

Last edited by jt25man; 26 Dec 2006 at 07:46.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2006, 23:15   #10
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

The small event

Going over to a friends place and play UT.

The "Immediate" aftermath

Starting to play the game online and meeting a girl (over the internet LOLZORS).

The medium term aftermath

Starting to chat with this girl and talk about hooking up. Falling in love with her a few weeks later at the point where I was going to university the next year. Eventually getting rejected by her when I was 3 weeks into college.

The long term aftermath

I couldn't cope with university anymore. Ended up going home and studying in the city where I lived. Feeling totally depressed the whole year, ended up rarely going to classes, mostly drinking in bars. Failing that year even at college.

How would things have been different?
If I hadn't started playing UT I wouldn't have met that girl to who I honestly believe is my soulmate but she disagrees. I would've gone to university and met a girl that might or might not had done the same to me at university, would have a different job, different friends (atleast some). And I wouldn't be writing on an online forum about my life on the evening of christmas day.

Would i take the other road?

Hell yes.

Last edited by Sharur; 25 Dec 2006 at 23:26.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2006, 23:51   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharur
Falling in love
A phrase abused horribly by most who have little real appreciation of what the words mean, throwing them away like some pleasantry
Quote:
with her a few weeks later
Yeah there we go.
Unread 25 Dec 2006, 23:58   #12
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
A phrase abused horribly by most who have little real appreciation of what the words mean, throwing them away like some pleasantry

Yeah there we go.
before meeting with her I phoned with her quite often, i fell inlove with her 3 weeks after the first rl meeting with her
you believe you can't fall inlove with somebody under those circumstances? explain me why I could barely eat at that time, was constantly walking on clouds when phoning her or meeting her or after the rejection would compare every girl I meet with her and those girls never being able to even come close to her
and every single time I see her or talk to her have the same feelings as before that I thought I had forgotten about

I was 18 at the time when I met her, I know what love means.

how on earth can u even have the slighest comprehension of how real my feelings towards her are?
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 00:02   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How, genuinely out of curiousity, old were you at the point this happened? I'm generally a cynic but with an open mind for the odd story of triumph, so I'm shooting for a goal with some good news about you not being 17 at the time here.
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 00:03   #14
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Quote:
I was 18 at the time when I met her, I know what love means.
I'm 22 now and I'm still far from over her, when I think I'm over her and I talk to her again or see her again I'm right back at the beginning.
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 00:21   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe. Depends if you're talking internally or externally. A brief crush (or fling or what-not) can affect you emotionally (or neurochemically) a lot more than a medium-term relationship if the circumstances are right.

You may not be justified in calling something 'love' in the eyes of the world if some milestone hasn't been reached (6 months together, sleeping together, a year together, getting married, etc...) but I doubt that makes a difference to the person experiencing the emotions.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 00:25   #16
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Hmmm, maybe. Depends if you're talking internally or externally. A brief crush (or fling or what-not) can affect you emotionally (or neurochemically) a lot more than a medium-term relationship if the circumstances are right.

You may not be justified in calling something 'love' in the eyes of the world if some milestone hasn't been reached (6 months together, sleeping together, a year together, getting married, etc...) but I doubt that makes a difference to the person experiencing the emotions.
Some people that have a longer lasting relationship than another will always look down on what the other claims to be love unfortunately :/
I feel it's the same kind of condescendance that shows in some people that are sure their work is so much better, or their life is so much better.
Or "you don't even know what life is until you experienced what I have!".
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 00:36   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't think of one specific moment which has had a Sliding-Doors / Dimension Jump style effect, but I can think of a few times things might have taken a different course.

- When I was young at one point it looked like I was going to have to live with some relatives because of some financial problems we were having. If that had happened I would have attended a different (much worse) school and not made the friends I did. Unsure of what this would have meant, my half-brother went to the same school and was probably the smartest person in the school (this wasn't a very smart school) and so developed a largeish ego. He now lives in a six bedroom house, is married to some millionaire's daughter and is about to set up his own recruitment firm. I probably would have just got beaten up a lot.

- A bit later my mum wanted me to try out for some private school for a scholarship or something. I think we just missed the deadline or something like that. I doubt I would have got it anyway which would have simply damaged my ego, but if I had got in I can't imagine the horrors. I would have either been at outcast or worse, assimilated and become some Tory voting scumbag. Once again, I wouldn't have met T&F and the rest of my friends.

- When I was made redundant I was paid a month in lieu of notice. In my month "holiday" I was intending to look for work quite early in, but instead took the brave decision to play Civilisation 2 for days on end. This led to a panic last minute scramble to look for work and accepting the first thing that came up (call centre work for a housing association). Next June I'll have been there for five years and am doing work I actually really enjoy.

edit : It's implied, but in all of the above I'm glad things went the way they did.
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 02:03   #18
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Er I guess changing which university I was going to at the last minute (from York -> Exeter because Exeter has better transport links to Jersey) because I thought my ex girlfriend and I would be forever and ever and ever. Obvious reasons - meant I took the degree I did, made the life choices I made, and met the people I did.
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 02:08   #19
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
edit : It's implied, but in all of the above I'm glad things went the way they did.
I don't think anyone should really "regret" any of their life-changing decisions, as it really does determine who you are as a person and what you've done. If you don't like that, then you probably don't like yourself, and changing one or two things that altered your life isn't going to make it all better.
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 02:16   #20
Tomkat

Quote:
How, genuinely out of curiousity, old were you at the point this happened? I'm generally a cynic but with an open mind for the odd story of triumph, so I'm shooting for a goal with some good news about you not being 17 at the time here.
Sorry for my third-in-a-row post here (it is honestly a good thread Deffeh - well done) but I have to say I agree with Dante again (i just HAVE to!!!).

I was 17 when I had my first real relationship. It lasted a year, with one or two breaks in between. I also lost my virginity to her.

We said we were in love, and even now, 6 years later and hopefully wiser (and also not under the stupid illusion we'd be together forever) I still believe I was. She really did shape my values of what I wanted from a relationship and more. I'm not trying to be cheesy, but she defined a lot of what I looked for (and made sure NOT to look for) in future partners. All my girlfriends since have been cut from the same cloth, with alterations that I thought I did or didn't want based on my previous experiences.

For instance, I now find it really hard to trust girls and actually am pretty possessive (which is incredibly hypocritical of me) due to her cheating on me with one of my (then) best friends, and another guy while I was on holiday. I loved spendnig time not just with her, but with her entire family, and I've continued to keep this as a desirable trait in girls I look for. I also - without meaning to sound arrogant here - was more intelligent than her, and liked being the knowledgeable one in the relationship. I still do (maybe that's why i'm single am i rite?!). I like the girl to get on with my friends and family - which my ex didn't do.

I could go on but I think you see my point. Dante put it much more eloquently - that "A brief crush (or fling or what-not) can affect you emotionally (or neurochemically) a lot more than a medium-term relationship if the circumstances are right."

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - I do think a lot of 17 year olds think they're in love when they aren't. But not all.
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 03:42   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

Thinking back on it now the fact a poker game took place on a retreat that I wasn't actually on at the start of sixth year has proved fairly significant. If it wasn't for that a regular poker game probably wouldn't have started up in school. I probably would still hang around more with my old group of friends and some of the choices I've made academically and such probably would be different. Equally financially I'd have been worse off over the past few years. I probably would have gotten into poker when I got into college but the fact I had averaged about 20 hours of poker per week over the previous twelve months by the time I got into college meant I had a significant edge over most of the people I was playing against. Without the money I made from poker I probably wouldn't have gone to america and I probably would have had to work a lot more over the past few years to maintain whatever lifestyle I've had. Seeing as I find working extremely disagreeable this has proven to be a rather fortuitous turn of events.
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 13:16   #22
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

If i hadnt had a daughter ..

i would probably never have gotten a pc..

i would never have sat in a msn chat room..

talked to people who told me about pa...

broken up with my ex... over that and other issues..

met my current wonderfull guy (on netgamers and plays pa)

travelled the world (well europe so far).. meeting people

having the time of my life :-) (at nearly 40)

wouldnt change a thing cos basically i believe that even the smallest thing that happens to u make u the person u are today ... (even buying your mars bar in a different shop )

(on a side note, if i didnt play pa .. battle groups would possibly be a force within alliances still ... i took the unknown step to ban them from my alliance .. an extremely long time ago .. and others jumped on the bandwagon)
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2006, 14:05   #23
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Sorry for my third-in-a-row post here (it is honestly a good thread Deffeh - well done) but I have to say I agree with Dante again (i just HAVE to!!!).
a/ i think it is probably my best thread in this current spree actually and i will be slightly dissapointed if it dissapears off the radar too quickly. everyone can join in and most people should have interesting tales!

b/ the sharur/pab/dante point is interesting though and worthy of comment.

to add my 2 cents on that, id suggest that while its probably legitimate to question the means involved, (reading too much into chat text, putting too much emotion and energy into what is 99/100 times a dead end in terms of social and emotional progress) i dont think it is legitimate for one person to question anyone elses love for anyone else, seeing as it defies logic and is hard to measure.

I know what you're thinking
You wonder why I chose her
Out of all the ladies in the world
That's just a first impression
What good's a first impression?
If you knew her like I do
It would change your point of view

If you could see her through my eyes
You wouldn't wonder at all
If you could see her through my eyes
I guarantee you would fall (like I did)
When we're in public together
I hear society moan
But if they could see her through my eyes
Maybe they'd leave us alone

Unread 27 Dec 2006, 00:54   #24
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

1. guy that plays hockey comes living in my street

--> a few years later i join a hockeyclub (chance on becoming a multimillionaire by exploiting my immense talent for football decreases to nill (i didn't realise this at this point)).

2. hans and i become teammates at my new hockeyclub. hans forces me to install IRC and start playing planetarion.

--> i meet you lot. get addicted to the game. **** up many tests and exams, fail a year, get ridiculed for my 'addiction' by people around me.

in the end things all turn out fine though, and i have no regrets of the choices i made, because i can honestly say i enjoyed life to the full the last years, without getting too much out of track.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 09:17   #25
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
to add my 2 cents on that, id suggest that while its probably legitimate to question the means involved, (reading too much into chat text, putting too much emotion and energy into what is 99/100 times a dead end in terms of social and emotional progress) i dont think it is legitimate for one person to question anyone elses love for anyone else, seeing as it defies logic and is hard to measure.
I was once told that love is finding that someone or something that fills or part fills your personal emotional void, and as that is a personal and unique space, its impossible to quantify it properly to anyone else.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 12:43   #26
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

quit rubbing it in

Unread 27 Dec 2006, 20:53   #27
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

One day my mother asked if I wanted to help her with the shopping (she would need help to carry it home). The weather was nice, so I decided to go with her.
We stopped by at Woolworths to buy a gamecube game for my little brother, and I set my eyes upon her... The World Of Warcraft!!!
I fell in love and decided to buy it.
I played the game, wasn't really addicted until I hit level 60 where I was constantly doing raid dungeons etc.
My GCSE exams were fast approaching, and I attempted to stop playing WoW in order to revise, but I just couldn't, I was too... addicted.
As a result of this, I did quite badly in my GCSEs (relative to my expected grades). Although I consider myself very lucky to have still been given a bursary to the private school which I am now attending!
After getting back from my holidays, I wasn't really interested in playing WoW, just like the previous year (but last year I played it a little and got hooked), and I knew that this was my opportunity to rid myself of the game, I managed to sell my account for £160 (I tried to rid myself of it as fast as possible) which is a little more than I spent on the game.

Another one, also about my exams :crymeariver:

I woke up on the morning of my last science exam (the last 6 modules, there was a total of 18) not feeling as confident as I did on the previous 2 exams - these 6 modules usually took a little thought to answer, unlike the other 12 where the answer just popped into my head upon reading the question. But I still felt that as long as I did ok in this exam, I'd get my A*s - my modular exams were excellent, almost all A*s, I also felt that I did really well in the first 12 modules of the written paper - although my coursework was below par, mainly because I played WoW instead
I had a normal breakfast (eggs and bacon iirc) and picked up a packed of wotsits crisps on my way out of the door, which I consumed on my journey. I rushed to school as I didn't want to be late, which I wasn't.
I walked into the exam hall and sat down. As I was arranging my stationery on the table, I was swamped with nausea - I lost my composure, my concentration and all of the last minute revision. Subsequently, I did terribly in the particular exam.
At first, I thought that the nausea was caused by stress/worrying (I did less revision for this exam than I did for the others). A week or so later, I decided to eat another packet of wotsits from the same big pack that we had - lo and behold, 10-15 mins after eating them, I suddenly felt nauseous. The crisps weren't expired either
The fking packet of crisps denied me my 3 A*s in science, I ended up narrowly missing one in Physics, getting a respectable A in Chemistry and just missing an A in Biology (which deeply upset me)
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 21:13   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
The fking packet of crisps denied me my 3 A*s in science, I ended up narrowly missing one in Physics, getting a respectable A in Chemistry and just missing an A in Biology (which deeply upset me)
Is this likely to have a noticeable impact on your life in the long run?
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 21:24   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
you got some A's instead of A*'s?
i bet the £160 won't even be enough to buy a handgun and end it all. your life is a pile of crap!
It's all relative. Just because you're a miserable failure of a man doesn't mean everyone else has to be.
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 21:31   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
It's all relative. Just because you're a miserable failure of a man doesn't mean everyone else has to be.
It's not even clear that horn has to be either. Recently he seemed to imply he'd prefer to be miserable than adopt a strategy which might lead to happiness or success or something.
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 21:47   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It's not even clear that horn has to be either. Recently he seemed to imply he'd prefer to be miserable than adopt a strategy which might lead to happiness or success or something.
Actually being accurate gets in the way of being rude.
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 23:53   #32
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

2 years ago I was half way through my 1 year masters at Nottingham uni. In the past I'd considered doing a PhD but had gradually gone off the idea and instead had decided to do a one year Masters in a topic I found more enjoyable than my degree and then hopefully find some kind of job in this area. Around Christmas time I applied for all the graduate schemes at the large biotech/pharma companies and started taking the online tests and doing telephone and face to face interviews. Slowly one by one the rejections came in.

It was around this time my Mum nagged me about looking in to a PhD again. I had a quick look round a few websites and at the posters stuck up around uni but couldn't find anything particularly interesting. I didn't see the point of signing up to stay on at uni for 3 more years if it was going to be research I had no real interest in, so I was very picky about what I would and wouldn't work on. As Mum's seem to do she wouldn't drop the topic so I told her what I was interested in so she could search the internet (she enjoys having little jobs like that to do). In the mean time I was content with reading my rejection letters. I told her I would only be interested in doing a PhD in structural biology or something antibody related (specifically as a therapeutic but I cant remember if I said that to her or not).

Weeks passed and I kept looking at job advertisements with the occasional email from my mum with a list of potential PhDs, all of which were of no interest to me (my mum is no scientist so tended to forward anything she thought was even slightly relevant). One day she stumbled upon the New Scientist website and saw an advert for a PhD at Leicester doing NMR on therapeutic antibodies as part of a CASE studentship. This covered everything I wanted, it was both structural and antibody related and involved working for a biotech company so would give me links there thus aiding me with a move into this sector.

My mum had never heard of New Scientist until that day, I'm not sure how she stumbled onto the site and the advert but it was perfect for me and to cut a long story short I got the PhD. How has that affected my life? Well I'm now 1.5 years into the PhD, loving every minute of it, got lots of new friends and I met my girlfriend who I've now been going out with for 9 months. My career prospects (assuming I get the PhD) should increase dramatically and instead of receiving rejection letters I should be able to get a research job without too many problems in any kind of biotech/pharma company, with the company partly funding my PhD being my most obvious chance (working for them after my PhD is not written into my contract).

If my Mum hadn't found that advert I wouldn't be at uni doing a PhD*, I wouldn't have fallen in love with a girl at Leicester uni girl and I probably wouldn't have such a great social life with a superb group of friends.

I might not have had so far to travel to see Rovers home games though .

God I've rambled on, shows what a boring night in does to me.

*Well I did apply for a PhD at the Rutherford Appleton Labs but didn't go for the interview because I'd already been given the Leicester position and wasn't so keen on this one especially as it wasn't directly at a university.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 01:00   #33
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

A scientist/computer geek with a girlfriend...who'd have thunk it possible.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 01:09   #34
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
you got some A's instead of A*'s?
i bet the £160 won't even be enough to buy a handgun and end it all. your life is a pile of crap!
The As were ok, the B sucked because I am doing Biology as an A level and one of the careers that I am considering is very much based on Biology.
Quote:
Is this likely to have a noticeable impact on your life in the long run?
I'm not sure on this actually - I'm not sure what universities look for in your GCSE results, I mean - I'm not sure if I will get into a good university even if I end up getting close to full marks in my Biology AS due to the B in GCSE.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 01:24   #35
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Met Hitler in 1922 in Vienna. Told him his art was crap and that he should try politics as a joke. Have felt responsible for WWII ever since.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 01:27   #36
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

When I was told the easiest way to get out of my shithole of a town was to go to university. So then I became interesting in intellectual pursuits.

Deciding to switch my attention from art to computing. This probably changed my mode of thinking forever.

Being too apathetic to check out decent universities and merely choosing one sufficiently far away. I have no idea how this has affected me.

I wouldn't change anything. Not because I'm happy or unhappy, but because I'd mostly likely be alive and doing things either way. Obviously I wouldn't want to be unable to feed myself, but then head-butting this screen in this empty room could theoretically - god willing - turn me into a millionaire time-travelling zombie.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 02:52   #37
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

The first big thing I can remember is from way back in junior school. I went to the local church school and as we were preparing to move to seconadry school they organised confirmation lessons for us all. I had little to no interest in this so the fact it clashed with football practice was enough to make me hide the letter. I managed to miss the first month, became ill so didn't go to the rest and then didn't get into the same school as all my friends, instead going to the local Boys Comp.

This meant I made completely different friends, was introduced to PA by one of these new friends, became interested in different subjects due to teachers which probably had a knock on effect on the degree and career I have picked, and I also think it stunted my ability to talk to women as I barely spoke to any for years.

The other point was listening to the careers advisor or some teacher that you needed a relavant degree for your job. I would have done a history degree but because of this advise picked Accounting and Economics which obviously had a large effect on the people I met and even the uni I went to.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 02:57   #38
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

hey great thread deffeh

Unread 28 Dec 2006, 11:49   #39
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
The As were ok, the B sucked because I am doing Biology as an A level and one of the careers that I am considering is very much based on Biology.

I'm not sure on this actually - I'm not sure what universities look for in your GCSE results, I mean - I'm not sure if I will get into a good university even if I end up getting close to full marks in my Biology AS due to the B in GCSE.
If you're getting an A or B in your AS I doubt they'll even look at your GCSE biology. For most bio-science courses at uni they are more bothered about your chemistry results than anything else (unless its something like botany or zoology). The first few weeks of university tends to be a quick run through of what you need to know from A level biology so some people even get by without having done biology since GCSE, though I wouldn't recommend that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
A scientist/computer geek with a girlfriend...who'd have thunk it possible.
We live in a crazy world!
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 18:30   #40
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
i'm not sure what post i've previously written that would make you think this but if it was me making a comment about not using available therapy such as CBT it's not because i enjoy depression, it's because i don't think it'd work.
It was related to your remarks here (the last section) but to be honest it's not worth bothering about. At the time I was going to reply but I forgot so I wanted to get my chance without bumping the original thread. Mainly I objected to your use of the term 'attitude' as if it was something entirely out of your control.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 18:35   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

What about electroshock therapy horn?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 18:40   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
if by it being relative you mean that this quandary's gravity should be measured by it's aftereffects/repercussions, well fair enough but seeing as he didn't actually mention that there were any i don't think it was particularly reckless to assume that there weren't any...

if you mean that the value/significance/bearing of the situation in itself is of relative importance to the individual and that no one else may comment on this self justified subjectivist notation, then i think it's time for you to leave the internet.
If by this post you mean that you've killed three people and eaten them, I think you should go get some kind of treatment or punishment.

If by this post you mean that you've killed five...

False dichotomy is a wonderful thing, isn't it.

Quote:
is this aimed at me or you?
In that instance, me.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:02   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
yeah it's pretty cool.
i was going to use it here but i decided to neglect the pretty important cap of "these are the only two things you can possibly mean", feel free to let me know what you meant.
Your second option was reasonably close to the mark, but then you tacked on the "AND OTHER PEOPLE AREN'T ALLOWED TO COMMENT ON IT", which was from left field somewhat. You're perfectly allowed to comment upon it, it's just better form if you accept that the starting conditions are relevent. If I was to wake up tomorrow and find myself homeless and missing an arm, I'd be a lot more upset about it than some homeless guy with no arms or legs would be.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:24   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
yeah i just feel the starting conditions here are of little enough worth for me to make a joke about the importance of his predicament.
I know someone who only just scraped into Cambridge, with his offer (ABC) being the lowest of any he received. If he had gotten BBB instead, his life would have been significantly different, despite being almost certainly the target of similar mockery from you.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:24   #45
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I know someone who only just scraped into Cambridge, with his offer (ABC) being the lowest of any he received. If he had gotten BBB instead, his life would have been significantly different, despite being almost certainly the target of similar mockery from you.
horn has A levels?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:25   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
horn has A levels?
Whether he does or not is not really relevent.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:29   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
the problem is that i have a problem with the premises they're based on. i feel they're a whitewash of reality.
Maybe. I think though that in many cases they're merely supposed to balance excessively negative attitudes. I think I've used this example before, but once I was at home with my wife on a Sunday. Someone was working on their car outside in the street and revving the engines for periods at a time through the morning (not for an unreasonably length of time, nor was it unreasonably early). After a while my wife started articulating some paranoid fantasy where the guy knew it was really annoying but was doing it anyway, he could probably do it any other day too but he probably felt like being a jerk and pissing off her personally by doing it now when she was trying to rest, etc, etc. Your ears soon got used to the noise but now the idea of this thoughtlessness really got on her nerves.

My response was that you could also imagine that his wife is heavily pregnant and he's gotta make sure his car is still running properly in case he needs to take her to the hospital quickly. He's been working longer hours recently because they've got a kid on the way and this is the only free time he's had. In that context, the noise wasn't nearly as annoying and you soon learnt to ignore it.

Now, both scenarios were almost certainly untrue, but if we're going to start assuming stuff without any evidence then where there's zero consequences one way or the other it may as well be the one that leads to be positive/calm about the situation. Obviously this isn't a universal truth - if the guy was doing this 24/7 then clearly excessive leyway would be a mistake but most situations where people seemed to get upset/angry about things don't really seem to be worth it.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:45   #48
JonnyBGood
Banned

I still find it hard to credit that dante was married. Was your wife some form of communist subtextual internet-related plot to undermine the London banking sector?

Edit: Scratch that, I presume you'd still be together if she was
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:33   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

He's correct, but that's an expression of a trend, rather than anything else. It may well make a difference - what if the institution grants lower offers based upon things including the GCSEs, and he narrowly misses his offer?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 21:32   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
are you seriously suggesting 3 A's instead of A*'s at GCSE is going to prevent him getting into oxbridge?
if you are then ok, i'm not going to argue the case. i don't care. when i made the comment it seemed pretty ridiculous to me. (it still does)
Getting all A*s (or whatever) rather than a B would probably make my college, at least, more likely to award someone a matriculation offer, rather than a rather steeper one.