User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Dec 2006, 03:49   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Finish this sentence: "I will probably have to punch someone if..."

I will probably have to punch someone if i hear them order a 'Soco' and lime at a bar.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 03:57   #2
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Finish this sentence: "I will probably have to punch someone if..."

I will probably have to punch someone if I hear the line: "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well"
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 05:16   #3
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fortunately, real people dont actually order 'Soco'. That only happens in that wonderfully execrable advert.

I will probably have to punch someone if I hear them cite another unsourced example of "political correctness" in my presence.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 08:45   #4
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

I will probably have to punch someone if they stop suddenly when I am walking behind them.

Shitty christmas busy times
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 09:19   #5
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i will probably have to punch someone if they're black.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 09:28   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
i will probably have to punch someone if they're black.

haha lol racism is fun because it's controversial right
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 10:15   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Fortunately, real people dont actually order 'Soco'. That only happens in that wonderfully execrable advert.

I will probably have to punch someone if I hear them cite another unsourced example of "political correctness" in my presence.
It was tried on me while I was working bar last year at least three times. So of course I took glee in questioning what it was exactly they wanted, making them point and then say the ****ing name. Seriously, people. JD I can cope with because it's a contraction that people came up with themselves. Soco is retarded.

Though admittedly I had a slightly different bar technique than most. It's easy once you realise everyone on the other side of that wood is an idiot.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 10:29   #8
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

"I will probably have to punch someone if I ever get framed by a biker gang"

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 11:03   #9
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

what's a soco?
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 11:05   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
what's a soco?
From a quick googling, it's an abbreviation for Southern Comfort.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 11:21   #11
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"I will probably have to punch someone if my life depended on it"

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 11:27   #12
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I will probably have to punch someone if, regardless of the fact that I have never met them before in my life, they still try to kiss me at New Year.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 12:11   #13
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Who cares if someone abbreviates the name of a drink at the bar? I mean, I wouldn't do it, but then I don't drink Southern Comfort and Coke. I'd hardly think it was cause for physical violence though (or even particularly annoying).

Do you get angry when people order just "a lager, mate" instead of the full correct name "One pint of Stella Artois please" too?
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 12:17   #14
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Who cares if someone abbreviates the name of a drink at the bar? I mean, I wouldn't do it, but then I don't drink Southern Comfort and Coke. I'd hardly think it was cause for physical violence though (or even particularly annoying).

Do you get angry when people order just "a lager, mate" instead of the full correct name "One pint of Stella Artois please" too?
First off, it's a REALLY bad name for a drink.

Secondly, it's part of a concerted effort by the makers of Southern Comfort to appeal to a younger audience. Which brings me to:

thirdly: Someone was PAID to think up such an abysmal name.

Fourth: People using it are buying into a totally artificial image.

Fifth: It's a REALLY bad name for a drink.

So, in conclusion anyone using SoCo really does deserve a punch in the face, with a knife.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 12:25   #15
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

What All Systems Go said re the first part.

And yes I do find it slightly irritating when people just ask for lager, but that's probably because I'm brand fussy about the lager I drink.

Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:03   #16
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
I will probably have to punch someone if i hear them order a 'Soco' and lime at a bar.
I will probably have to punch someone if I find out they work in marketing.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:11   #17
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
First off, it's a REALLY bad name for a drink.
So is "Wife Beater" for a Stella, but noone gets arsey about that.

Quote:
Secondly, it's part of a concerted effort by the makers of Southern Comfort to appeal to a younger audience. Which brings me to:
thirdly: Someone was PAID to think up such an abysmal name.
Fourth: People using it are buying into a totally artificial image.
Welcome to Marketing 101, dude

While you guys might think it's terrible, I bet that drink sales of Southern Comfort will go up by at least 20% after people see and hear this gimmick. Even if you don't like it, it makes you remember Southern Comfort at the bar when a bit tipsy and trying to decide which drink to buy.

For example - who had drunk Magners (or even heard of it) before 2 years ago? Then they throw a load of ice in a glass, say "Magners and ice is so refreshing!" and suddenly I'm seeing pubs full of people drinking the stuff, as it's "new and exciting".
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:13   #18
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I'm sure the same people would be annoyed if someone asked for "a pint of wife beater" at the bar as well.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:16   #19
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

I believe I am correct in saying that 'Magners' was only released in Great Britain 3 years ago, and it was launched initially in Scotland. So it's new and exciting because it is NEW.

Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:22   #20
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

If someone asks for lager, I ask them what kind they'd like (unless they've just returned, say, a Tennents glass to the bar because that's a bit of a giveaway) since we carry four. It's like if someone says 'a whiskey and lime please' I'll ask what whiskey. That's pretty much a different thing that someone asking for a 'Soco', dude.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:30   #21
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Oh yes, I remember that advert where the man kicks six shits out of his wife after coming home pissed from the pub. It was hilarious. One of the most sucessful marketing campaigns in recent time I believe.

Quote:
Welcome to Marketing 101, dude

While you guys might think it's terrible, I bet that drink sales of Southern Comfort will go up by at least 20% after people see and hear this gimmick. Even if you don't like it, it makes you remember Southern Comfort at the bar when a bit tipsy and trying to decide which drink to buy.
Do you think the issue people have here is that it may not increase the profits of the company? Am I supposed to fall to my knees and weep with joy that an advertisement increases sales of the product it is advertising?

I have a particular hatred of advertising. this hatred increases exponentially when the advert in question tries to sell a product on something other than the properties of the product (i.e. all adverts) and is even higher when they try to start a fad (especially such a shitty one as this).

I have no inverest on what this does for the company (actually, I hope sales go down, just in the interests of justice), it's the principle of the thing.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:40   #22
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I believe I am correct in saying that 'Magners' was only released in Great Britain 3 years ago, and it was launched initially in Scotland. So it's new and exciting because it is NEW.
No, you aren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magners

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Commercial cider production was started in Clonmel, County Tipperary in Ireland in 1935, by local man William Magner. Magner quickly established a successful business and in 1937 he joined forces with the famous English cider-makers H.P. Bulmer and Company. Dowds Lane in Clonmel was the location of this burgeoning enterprise. In 1949 Magner withdrew from the business and the Bulmers name came to the fore. To prevent confusion, this Clonmel-based cider is exported around the world under the brand name "Magners".
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:45   #23
Tomkat

Quote:
I have a particular hatred of advertising. this hatred increases exponentially when the advert in question tries to sell a product on something other than the properties of the product (i.e. all adverts) and is even higher when they try to start a fad (especially such a shitty one as this).
I think advertising is fascinating.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd chosen a "shitty name" for it on purpose, just to stimulate discussion over who hates it the most. Even by discussing it further and further, the Southern Comfort brand is being spread. You might think it's in a negative way, but advertising isn't polarised into "good" and "bad". Especially advertising for alcholic drinks, which rely a lot on their brand names, imagery and people's brand loyalty.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:47   #24
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
If someone asks for lager, I ask them what kind they'd like (unless they've just returned, say, a Tennents glass to the bar because that's a bit of a giveaway) since we carry four. It's like if someone says 'a whiskey and lime please' I'll ask what whiskey. That's pretty much a different thing that someone asking for a 'Soco', dude.
I don't see what the big deal is. As long as the barman knows what is being ordered, who cares?

People used to ask me for "Wickeds" at the bar for ages, because of the WKD advert. It confused me once or twice because they weren't calling it by its correct name. I wouldn't say it was something that really annoyed me though. Maybe I'm just not as angry as a lot of the people on these forums
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:48   #25
All Systems Go

Quote:

Quote:
Since it was first Launched in Glasgow, at the beginning of 2003, Magners Original Irish Cider has instigated a rejuvenation of the cider market and continues to take the market by storm. The result of true dedication to quality, Magners Original cider is without doubt one of the most exciting brands to enter the British alcoholic drinks market in recent years. The unique and refreshing taste of the iconic Magners pint bottle served over mounds of fresh ice, has truly captured consumers attention.
http://www.magnerscider.com/great-britain/
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:51   #26
All Systems Go

Quote:
I think advertising is fascinating.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd chosen a "shitty name" for it on purpose, just to stimulate discussion over who hates it the most. Even by discussing it further and further, the Southern Comfort brand is being spread. You might think it's in a negative way, but advertising isn't polarised into "good" and "bad". Especially advertising for alcholic drinks, which rely a lot on their brand names, imagery and people's brand loyalty.
Propaganda is interesting but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. If you've got a fascination about how the mind of a serial killer works it can interest you, but it doesn't mean the subject of investigation is vindicated because his actions provide you with a distraction from eveyday life.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 13:56   #27
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Working in an establishment where Bulmers and Magners are both sold, I've had plenty of customers who have refused to buy Bulmers which despite being identical to Magners, Magners has the brand and thus is the only cider of this kind people want. Their vomit-inducing advertising campaign with their 'on-ice' gimmick has been shit but effective. Before their advertising campaign we could shift shit in cans faster than Magners, in September the UK actually had a shortage of the stuff, while Bulmers was being left alone on the shelf. People who but into the Magners 'thing' are ****ing idiots if you ask me.

Although proper cider drinkers (as in people who have always drunk cider) don't touch the stuff.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 14:03   #28
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Working in an establishment where Bulmers and Magners are both sold, I've had plenty of customers who have refused to buy Bulmers which despite being identical to Magners, Magners has the brand and thus is the only cider of this kind people want. Their vomit-inducing advertising campaign with their 'on-ice' gimmick has been shit but effective. Before their advertising campaign we could shift shit in cans faster than Magners, in September the UK actually had a shortage of the stuff, while Bulmers was being left alone on the shelf. People who but into the Magners 'thing' are ****ing idiots if you ask me.

Although proper cider drinkers (as in people who have always drunk cider) don't touch the stuff.
That's the point I was trying to make. Thanks Lok.

(and I agree - the whole gimmick is absolutely retarded. it seems to work though - never underestimate the stupidity of the common consumer!)
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 14:05   #29
Tomkat

Quote:
It was rebranded in 2003 as Magners Original Irish Cider. It's existed in the UK market for longer than that, but noone knew of it or bought it. Yet now they do. Because of the "crappy" advertising.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 15:04   #30
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:

(and I agree - the whole gimmick is absolutely retarded. it seems to work though - never underestimate the stupidity of the common consumer!)
Well in my time (a few years) working on and off within a certain retail chain before I get a proper job, no one has ever been as successful as Magners in getting an ad out there and becoming so popular. The surprising thing is that Magners isn't cheap either, yet it's bought in large quantities. The idea of serving a pint* on ice seemed to be unique enough to get people to buy into it.

For me there are tricks in selling where if the pitch is right, you can get anyone to buy anything if they can afford it.

*a lot less than a pint then. What a convenient way for pub chains to save money.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 15:25   #31
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i am happy so many people are similarly incensed by the hellashit soco campaign. 'southern comfort' is fine as it is.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 15:38   #32
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
I will probably have to punch someone if I find out they work in marketing.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 15:46   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

I'd like to point out this was the five hundred thousandth post on GD. Congratulations tk you win a big bag of cancer on a stick!
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 16:54   #34
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The idea of serving a pint* on ice seemed to be unique enough to get people to buy into it.

*a lot less than a pint then. What a convenient way for pub chains to save money.
Actually, the bottle itself contains a full pint - it depends on where you go as to whether or not they give you the half-full bottle as well.

The SoCo advert. May the ****ers who came up with this burn in hell.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 17:26   #35
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

I'm getting awfully confused here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/06052006/17/...d-magners.html

As far as I can make out Magners is called Bulmers in ROI but cannot be called Bulmers outwith ROI because they do not own the trademark for 'Bulmers' outwith ROI, hence it is called Magners. The Bulmers Original cider which we see now competing with Magners is actually produced by English compant HP Bulmer. The company which makes Magners was affiliated with the English Bulmers company for some time but this ended in 1949, hence the product known as 'Magners' has never been called Bulmers in Great Britain. Magners was launched in Great Britain in 2003 and was a new brand to the market.

Anyway this is all straying from the point rather a lot. Actually the whole soco argument is straying from the point but never mind. I don't know why I hate the Southern comfort ad so much but it bugs the arse off me, and if I heard someone ordering a 'soco' in my local I'd have to urge to stab them in the eye with a fork. It's just such bullshit, it's like they're embarassed to call it 'Southern Comfort' any more because it sounds too old or too uncool or something. I think I'll start ordering Bo Sa and tonic and see how far I get.

Unread 19 Dec 2006, 17:35   #36
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably have to punch someone if J.D. Drew's five year deal gets nixed because of shoulder concerns.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 17:52   #37
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
I don't see what the big deal is. As long as the barman knows what is being ordered, who cares?

People used to ask me for "Wickeds" at the bar for ages, because of the WKD advert. It confused me once or twice because they weren't calling it by its correct name. I wouldn't say it was something that really annoyed me though. Maybe I'm just not as angry as a lot of the people on these forums
WKD's a pronounciation thing that I had no problem with. I think if someone asked for a 'vodbull' I'd have taken the piss out of them to the same extent as I did with 'soco' but I can't think of any other stupid contractions I'd been given. Hell, if you can't have some fun with your work, what's the point?
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 18:02   #38
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Hell, if you can't have some fun with your work, what's the point?
Ask Stew, he's the resident accountant
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 19:45   #39
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

That poor son of a bitch.

I was privvy to an accountancy meal once. Jesus ****, I find it hard to understand why people would want to talk about their work all the time outside of it, but accountancy? They had jokes about nominal ledgers. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 21:07   #40
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Janis Joplin's favorite drink was Southern Comfort. I think I should have to punch someone in the nose should they ever suggest that Janis Joplin would ever have ordered Soco.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 21:22   #41
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

I will probably have to punch someone if when asked what size their wife/girlfriend/friend is and they reply *ohh i dont know .. or about your size* for the hundreth time in a day.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 21:29   #42
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
I will probably have to punch someone if I hear the line: "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well"
That's simply the truth and if you try to punch me, I will probably have to punch you.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 22:45   #43
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I can't stand it when smoker's don't pay attention and blow smoke at you, then not even notice you're sitting there waving it away and coughing. That really makes me want to punch them.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 22:47   #44
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
I can't stand it when smoker's don't pay attention and blow smoke at you, then not even notice you're sitting there waving it away and coughing. That really makes me want to punch them.
I will probably have to punch someone if they dont say "excuse me would you mind not smoking near me" and just cough in a very fake way.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 22:59   #45
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
I will probably have to punch someone if they dont say "excuse me would you mind not smoking near me" and just cough in a very fake way.
If you didn't have an addiction there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

If you went to the pub and there were used needles all over the place you wouldn't accept 'oh you should have asked me to watch what I'm doing with the remains of my addiction intake' as an acceptable answer.
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 23:53   #46
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
That's simply the truth and if you try to punch me, I will probably have to punch you.
It absolutely is the truth, and so how about the person saying it to me in a condescending manner to me do it themselves as opposed to being lazy(read sitting inside, watching TV) and give proper specifications as to what completion entails. Oh, and I appreciated getting pulled off programming one of my lab assignments so that I could facilitate his TV watching.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2006, 23:56   #47
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Fake coughing is passive-aggressive bullshit. If you have a problem with what someone's doing you either say so, or shut the goddamn hell up and quit whining.

Like when there's a drunk guy on the bus chatting shit or singing and people tutting or sighing loud enough that there's some sense of camradery between the other idiots on the thing but quiet enough that if they get called on it they can look away into the window and pretend they didn't hear anything.

Jackasses.
Unread 20 Dec 2006, 00:49   #48
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Well that was lame.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2006, 00:50   #49
lokken
BlueTuba

I will probably have to punch someone if they keep thinking their mobile phone is a boombox when in public.
Unread 20 Dec 2006, 00:51   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How can it fail, it's got the sleek dazzling veneer of the nineteen eighties.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote