User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Nov 2006, 12:52   #1
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
Studing in the UK, do`s and don`ts.

It`s another one of those quick quizes. http://education.guardian.co.uk/quiz...947596,00.html. I got 12 out of 13 \o/ .I guess I don`t really count since I`m not an overseas student.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 13:06   #2
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Studing in the UK, do`s and don`ts.

You scored 13 out of a possible 13.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 13:08   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

london orientated unsuprisingly

13 out of 13 anyway

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 13:30   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

10/13

I've only been to London once but I think the travel questions are more idealistic than a reflection of what actually happens.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 14:02   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

12, i didnt read the answers to #2 fully enough
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 14:02   #6
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste

13 out of 13 anyway
Who cares about the barbarians in the north?

12 out of 13 - I said you should read someone else's paper over their shoulder when the right answer was to cause less disruption
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 14:05   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

13/13, but I gave what I knew would be the right answers as opposed to the truthful ones
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 14:20   #8
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You damn foreign students trying to pass yourselves off as UK citizens!

(actually I was classed as an "overseas student" for my university education /o\ )
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 14:21   #9
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I went for push your way on, as it's what most people do anyway, I thought politeness, happiness and kindness had evaporated from our public transport system.

(12/13)
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 14:50   #10
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Foreigners like you are ruining this country Tomkat, NHS tourist that's what you are, sponging off hard working Daily Express readers, I'm emailing John Reid as we speak to ask about deporting you back to Jersey.
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 15:29   #11
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

You scored 11 out of a possible 13
It's finishing school for you. You know the basics but there's room for improvement. But you must venture outside the M25 to improve your street cred.

not bad, not bad. :]

and i can't believe i answered incorrect to the first question "on which side of an escalator do you stand". (i never made mistakes with that when i was in the UK)
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 15:40   #12
Gimmick
Banned

Gimmick is an unknown quantity at this point

You scored 13 out of a possible 13
You know the rules. There's no talking on the Tube and no ducking out of rounds at the pub. Well done duckie. Bob's your uncle and all that.

EASY \o/ EASY \o/ EASY \o/
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 18:58   #13
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I got the soap one wrong and didnt know what 'spend a penny' meant.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 20:13   #14
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

You scored 13 out of a possible 13
You know the rules. There's no talking on the Tube and no ducking out of rounds at the pub. Well done duckie. Bob's your uncle and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I got the soap one wrong and didnt know what 'spend a penny' meant.
The soap one I can understand, but how can any englishman not know what spending a penny means?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 21:22   #15
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

13/13 .. i am english tho ...

now try again with what i know shouldnt happen but does.

9/13 .. but i got every one right :-)

no matter how u stand on a tube ecsulator.. you will end up on the right cos u will be elbowed out of the way if u are not .
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 23:01   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
The soap one I can understand, but how can any englishman not know what spending a penny means?
I'm not English
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 23:04   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I'm not English
they have pennies in scotland as well
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 23:12   #18
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You scored 12 out of a possible 13

I've never been on the Tube
Never been to England either mind you.
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 05:44   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling

I've never been on the Tube
Never been to England either mind you.
You beat me; i only got 10 and i've been to London once when i was 13 for a couple of days...

I said that you should stand on the left hand side of the escalator (which is the practice in perth, i assumed elsewhere too :\ ), I said that the Toad dish was not a traditional dish (apparantly the stout isnt :\), and i said that someone who was going to spend a penny was going to spend (alot) of pounds, not go to the loo.

Seriously, with regards to the last one, does anyone actually say that who is not a nutter?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 06:23   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Only 2 of the 13 questions are specific to London.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 06:31   #21
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Seriously, with regards to the last one, does anyone actually say that who is not a nutter?
Yes, though it's mainly old women
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 10:31   #22
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Only 2 of the 13 questions are specific to London.
I'd consider the first 5 to be actually.

How many other cities in the UK do many people go to work on a train?
And even if they do I can't remember ticket barriers, especially not busy ones, at any other station.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 11:32   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Define "many people". Hundreds of thousands of people use the train to go to work outside of London. Just because you're lucky enough to have a car.

Quote:
And even if they do I can't remember ticket barriers, especially not busy ones, at any other station.
I'm sure I've seen ticket barriers elsewhere, but you may have a point.
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 11:48   #24
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Define "many people". Hundreds of thousands of people use the train to go to work outside of London. Just because you're lucky enough to have a car.
Really?
I'd be interested to see those statistics.

I'm not doubting people actually do use the train but from the (albeit anecdotal) evidence I've seen, trains are used in a much much lower proportion than buses and cars. Especially by students (which is what the article is about), I can't think of any university outside London where people would commute to it by train.

Thinking of the major cities here - Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham etc etc don't have a train network as such.
Trams and metro's yes, but not trains. Liverpool is the only city I can think of with a "train" link.

Quote:
I'm sure I've seen ticket barriers elsewhere, but you may have a point.
Brighton does, but that's practically London these days anyway

Unread 18 Nov 2006, 12:02   #25
Tomkat

This "anti London" sentimentality is very similar to the "Scotland vs England" argument.

People in England don't mind the Scottish, in fact a lot of us regard them as our slightly less intelligent sibling. If there's a competitive event on (for example, an international game of football), then we'll happily support Scotland as they're "kin" to us. However, the Scottish harbour a deep resentment to the English for some reason (I can only think jealousy!) and - as most UKers know - actively support whichever team is playing AGAINST England. It's really rather sad.

The "London vs other major cities" is the same. Londoners don't mind other cities or the people that live there. They just know that they're a little bit inferior! The other city-goers seem to harbour (as with the Scottish/English situation) a deep resentment to Londoners and everything our great nation's capital stands for.

I was the same when I lived in Exeter - I thought of London as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole. Now I love the place and can't wait to move back.
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 12:05   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Really?
I'd be interested to see those statistics.

I'm not doubting people actually do use the train but from the (albeit anecdotal) evidence I've seen, trains are used in a much much lower proportion than buses and cars.
A much lower proportion, yes, but that doesn't stop all the trains between Durham and Newcastle (say) being impossibly backed between about 7:30 and 9:00, and indeed of a night; trains are faster and smoother between Durham and Newcastle, and pretty much all the Durham students who go to the Newcastle clubs and whatnot go by train, at least in my experience. Any examination of the frequency of this event must take into consideration that the Durham clubs are by far the worst I've ever experienced, and as I hate all clubs that's saying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Especially by students (which is what the article is about), I can't think of any university outside London where people would commute to it by train.
Again, Newcastle springs to mind. It's more of a train system than the underground, despite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Thinking of the major cities here - Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham etc etc don't have a train network as such.
Trams and metro's yes, but not trains. Liverpool is the only city I can think of with a "train" link.
The Tyne and Wear Metro may be much more linear than the London one, but that's largely because London is much larger; that doesn't mean it shouldn't count as a "train" if the Underground does.

"The Metro is usually described as Britain's first modern light rail system. However, it can be considered a hybrid system, displaying elements of light rail, heavy underground metro, and longer-distance, higher speed suburban and interurban railway systems." says wikipedia on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The "London vs other major cities" is the same. Londoners don't mind other cities or the people that live there. They just know that they're a little bit inferior! The other city-goers seem to harbour (as with the Scottish/English situation) a deep resentment to Londoners and everything our great nation's capital stands for.

I was the same when I lived in Exeter - I thought of London as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole. Now I love the place and can't wait to move back.
Having been to London on many occasions, I can safely say that my opinion of it as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole which is also far too large is fairly well founded. But then I do think that about Newcastle, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and the rest as well.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 13:35   #27
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Aye well said t' that man an' 'is whippet. T'namby pamby southernors with their fancy metal trains! Get me t'me office by a good horse 'n trap any day!!
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 19:53   #28
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Studying in the UK, dos and don'ts.

13/13 but disturbingly tubecentric
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 11:03   #29
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'd never seen a ticket barrier before visiting Sydney. I didn't know what they were or how to get tickets for them (vending machines!).

It took me ages to work out how to get out of the central metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I learned what it meant of an English friend of mine, who has one of those terribly posh English accents, which I find immensely amusing.
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 14:06   #30
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I'd consider the first 5 to be actually.

Most stations in the UK have ticket barriers these days including the small ones, they've been phasing them in everywhere since privatization. Quite a few people I know commute to Cardiff to work via train.
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 15:11   #31
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

10 of of 13.
It's finishing school for you. You know the basics but there's room for improvement. But you must venture outside the M25 to improve your street cred.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 15:16   #32
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I figured that because it was the Grauniad it was satirical so did the first few tube-related ones as 'being as obnoxious as possible'. That's what you ****s down there do, isn't it?
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 15:20   #33
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I stampeed peoples feet and trip them up at tube stations when I'm not in a rush and they are

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 11:31   #34
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

They missed out an important question

Your in a hurry to get on to the next tube train with several police offers chasing you. Do you:

a) Stop and wait for them to catch up
b) Jump over the ticket barrier and hurtle down the esculators on to the train
c) Pop into the WH Smith in the train station and buy some Lucozade
d) Start shouting out Brazilian

And if you answered B, congratulations - in the eyes of the Law your now a terrorist
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 12:49   #35
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
And if you answered B, congratulations - in the eyes of the Law your now a terrorist
Oi, hang on, hang on! I'm not ethnic/brazillian, so i would never be considered to be a terrorist! \o/

:\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2006, 01:01   #36
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
they have penises in scotland as well
fixed
Unread 21 Nov 2006, 08:52   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
and i live in london so i'm allowed to call it depressing (and it is)
One wonders if you'd be happy anywhere though man.