User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Aug 2008, 03:14   #1
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Capital Ships, same same but different

An idea for Capital Ships:

Each race could build capital ships by doing the proper research (after CR/BS) and construction (CS factory).
The Capital Ship would provide a bonus depending on the race specifics:
- Terran Capital Ship would give an extra shield
- Xan Capital Ship would cloak the pods
- Cath Capital Ship would improve the EMP
- Zik Capital Ship would improve the stealing

A capital ship would slow a fleet eta by 1 tick
A new building "CS Interference Center" would be needed to counter it... you would need to build a different center to counter each race.
Capital Ship vs Interference Center would work just like the amps/distorters system.
Some ships could have anti CS as T3
Unread 9 Aug 2008, 11:31   #2
Eternity
DarK_AnGeL^

Eternity is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Capital Ships, same same but different

I'm not really a fan of the idea, plus what ship would Etd have?
VtS, CpV, RAH, ND, Jenova, xVx, Ascendancy, Rainbows, Kittenz, Faceless, Ironborn and RED.

Played in rounds :
20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31
71 - 85.
Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2008, 12:13   #3
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough

could i see a brep example of how this would work?
hairypalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2008, 09:42   #4
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

This one slightly confuses me, are you suggesting that a ship be added that can attack but can only be destroyed by a building? So, if a planet does not have any of said building, there is no way to destroy it?

If so, I will say no on the grounds that no defense can be sent to kill capships and I think there should be since killing a capship will make a land more costly to the attacker and prevent them from getting overpowered in the middle ranks(in particular) of the game.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2008, 15:38   #5
smith-

smith- is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think that's what he means, I think it'd be a unit that when used in a fleet would give bonuses to said fleet, and that's all.

I don't think the idea would work, as you'd only need to put 1 ship in a fleet in order to give it the bonuses, and everybody would have that one ship because, well, you only need 1.

Hut, if you're suggesting that if the ship got destroyed in combat, the fleet would lose any bonuses for the rest of that battle, it would mean having to go too far in depth looking at the Init section of the stats and changing the battle engine to facilate mid-fight alterations to stats and bonuses, and that's just asking too much of PA as a game, and as a playerbase.

Having a construction that attacks these ships is also bordering on PDS which was removed for a reason (i.e. they're cack). You'd have to create a new class specifically for capital ships (a 'Capital' class, perhaps?) that would allow constructions to target them alone (having a different construction for each Capital ship is also redundant).

Capital Class PDS would also have to fire before the ship itself, or they'd be pointless. And if you only sent one ship, it'd be destroyed. So then it becomes a battle over how many ships you could send against CCPDS, and in turn how many CCPDS you could build. And for the sake of a little bonus here and there, I think that the if implemented, the effort excerted to win the battle of capital class ships vs pds is disproportionate to the benefits you'd get, and wouldn't make the game any more fun.