User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Jul 2006, 00:52   #1
Sun Pin

Sun Pin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cathaar: CO or CR attack fleet

The topic says it all really, and tbh I seem to favour the use of a CO fleet this round. It seems that sending in CR without support of either BS or DE will only result in too heavy losses for it to be profitable. And if you start sending in additional classes to deal with the losses you'll soon have to send all of your ships, which will not only leave you rather open, but also make you a useless asset for your alliance.

However great the strategy of basing my fleet on CO taking on xans seems, I'm sure I've missed quite a lot (especially since I've been gone for quite a while) and I'd like your oppinion on the subject.

(-:
Sun Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 08:14   #2
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Cathaar: CO or CR attack fleet

Normally, I like to use a eta7 fleet if I have one available... CO are great because if you're about, you can get scans at eta7, recall and keep relaunching until you get through! However, there are still some problems with CO; a lot of caths spend a lot of cash on vipers which I'd personally ignore for the most part. Covering your ass vs DE is very expensive unless you're a huge planet; so I'd say that a massive beetle fleet is currently cathaar's best choice.

There are some problems with it; ingal peg/syren/cutter, and ally def of corsair or spider which are both mainly defships and therefore likely to be available for defence.

On the other hand, I'm not too keen on the CR fleet either; I'd definitely build one as the roach is a great ship. Whereas the Widow just stuns (and not very effectively, at that), the roach kills with a reasonable level of efficiency, not to mention its tough armour. It makes you immune to terran BS and can scare off a lot of zik BS too...

Unfortunately, I think it still has some problems. When hitting ziks, you're targetting their main attack fleet and so you will need a lot of roach. Xand spectre shoot first and terran gryphon armour is very tough; tarantulas are only just over 100% efficient, which is crap for EMP!

Overall I think the CR fleet is the weaker of the two, but it's worth building roach for defence purposes, and then using them to attack with when you can...
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 13:48   #3
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

I agree with Gate entirely. At the start of the round I favoured Cr as there was less defence about against it, but at the min I'm going beetle heavy and its raking in the roids with far greater consistency than the cr fleet.
What was said about vipers is true, I'll probably only keep enough to stop small planets launching de waves at me.

And recluse are shit, but thats a given o/
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 19:43   #4
`mac^
Retired insomniac

`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold

Being cathaar myself this round i thought the CR flet looked miles better than the CO fleet. How wrong i was. CR had been very difficult to land for me even when teaming up. However the CO fleet has landed almost evry attack. Also agree with Gate about having to be beetle heavy with minimal vipers to cover the small DE waves.

Currently - Ultores
`mac^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 10:52   #5
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

well the block and kill abillity that cath have vs zik bs is kinda bad somehow makes an entirely race immune vs one other race, well 2 really

the stats are kinda crap this round too
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 12:25   #6
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

A negative post from robban! What a shocking turn of events.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 14:27   #7
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
A negative post from robban! What a shocking turn of events.
well your post was just as expected too, so what?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 14:48   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robban1
well your post was just as expected too, so what?
His post was presumably based on the fact that he is finding it easier to roid with co. Your post is just a value judgement as regards how good the stats are this round with little reference to better sets of stats or suggestions for improvement.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 15:08   #9
robban1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
His post was presumably based on the fact that he is finding it easier to roid with co. Your post is just a value judgement as regards how good the stats are this round with little reference to better sets of stats or suggestions for improvement.
well um change roach targeting then

better?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 15:17   #10
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Change it to target what?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 15:27   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
well um change roach targeting then

better?
Do you mean to a different specific ship or change the targetting pattern of caths, ie remove their ability to EMP all classes? Or remove their ability to shoot normally?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 16:19   #12
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

maybe removing caths ability to shoot normally, and increase their overall armor, and give thoes "normal" ships a bit higher firepower would work ? make cath all EMP ?
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 22:48   #13
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I have always had trouble landing CO attacks, and my CR has a very high level of success. Im not even considering the stats,or the damage ratios or anything, just how it does in practice, and I have found that, simply, my CR makes it through to land much more often.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2006, 01:43   #14
robban1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Do you mean to a different specific ship or change the targetting pattern of caths, ie remove their ability to EMP all classes? Or remove their ability to shoot normally?
not really just the block and kill abillity they have now. the bw blocks zik bs really good atm :/
Unread 1 Aug 2006, 09:52   #15
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
not really just the block and kill abillity they have now. the bw blocks zik bs really good atm :/
Last time I checked Zik Bs are very decent to say the least. And esp with all the faking capabilities (Fr/De/Cr) Zik Bs is a blast!
One might even say Zik is quite overpowered.
Also, I'd say Cath is finally keeping up, where Xan and Ter have much trouble since they are so open to De and Fi.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2006, 16:48   #16
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Wtf? :/

The Widow is about 139% efficient at stunning BS. For a pure defence ship, which is not only targetted, but stolen, this is appalling. Last round the beeetle was 189% efficient against FI, yet caths were routinely roided by it later in the round.

I'd have spammed roach like a big girl and at least made myself immune to terrans/able to scare off medium sized ziks, rather than spend loads on stopping medium sized ziks and being a laughing stock for terran BS fleets.

I'd consider the widow a waste of space tbh, and I'd even say that perhaps ziks are overpowered this round.
Unread 3 Aug 2006, 17:47   #17
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

yes. BWs, eventho still potent this time around, but the fact that they DO get stolen is kinda making them useless...
But i hear someone out there has 1200 BWs. that would be a tough nut to crack
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2006, 21:36   #18
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh
maybe removing caths ability to shoot normally, and increase their overall armor, and give thoes "normal" ships a bit higher firepower would work ? make cath all EMP ?
Oh, problem with EMP...

it tends to make cath a good race if you're huge, but a shit race if you're not particularly big. The efficiency of EMP means that big planets can afford enough stuff to stun almost any attackers. The fact that it doesn't kill means that smaller planets who can't afford enough, are juicy targets and get roided for fun.

I personally don't think that going all EMP is a particularly good solution as it only magnifies the effect we already see...