User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 May 2006, 12:35   #1
big_tweek

big_tweek is an unknown quantity at this point
A whole New suggestion

Hey people!

Here's a suggestion for a change in the game Planetarion.

I've been playing a little wow, and thought it would be cool to have PA like that.

It would be cool to set up the game into to "teams" (good and evil)
Each team will be divided into sectors and then divided into even smaller groups.

Each team will have the oppertunity to choose between different races.
Each race will have different stats, and skills...etc...

the universe could be a huge battleground, where there are strongpoints, and empty planets that are possible to take over etc. etc.
Each team will battle for resources.
it will be possible to take over planets and set up a defense system to guard from the enemy.

A good example:

I have a group of 30 people.
There is a miningplanet at the coords 3:2:1...
By capturing that mine, we secure an income of 1,000,000 metal resources every 24 hours.
the resources captured will be divided by those that capture it.

By capturing a mining planet it is possible to leave ships there to protect it from attacks....

The round will pretty much be more strategic:
some planets that are possible to take over can have different strategic tools.
One planet can research new weapons, another can research spacetravel. etc. etc.

Another example:
If I'm good, and I want to attack an evil planet. I can attack directly from my planet, but the ETA will be alot greater than if I capture empty planets, then move my fleet to that planet, then use that planet as a jump pad to lower my eta...
Or even without the right technology like space navigation, it would not be possible to find your way across the universe.

This would change the game quite drastically

the new dawn of PA

-----------------------------------------------------
big_tweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 15:32   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: A whole New suggestion

There has been some discussion of these kinds of 'objective' varients on the game. The real issue is not so much whether these are good ideas or not, but who is going to sit down and take the time to code them.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:06   #3
big_tweek

Yeah, that would be quite a job...

but to say it like this...

If planetarion was more objective based and more varied, I'd be willing to pay 100 NOK to play for a certain amount of time..

If each round didn't have an end, just 24 hour killing spree all the time, but with oppertunities to research and construct far more, sort of like WOW a real life kinda thing....

Well it seems kind of stupid to suggest something that big, but It's just an idea.. actually doing the idea would take awhile.... :P
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:54   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I dont like the suggestion.
Unread 22 May 2006, 17:07   #5
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I'll give you a penny for the effort, but that's it as it'll mean a total remake of the game we learned to love and hate.
Unread 22 May 2006, 17:37   #6
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I dont like the suggestion.
Why don't you be a helpful lad and explain why not?
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2006, 11:38   #7
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

One quite interesting point up there, is the idea of strategic objects that alliances and galaxies can work towards. Fundamentally changing the system (to replicate what WoW do) wouldn't be so nice or more importantly practical in an implementation sense.
Unread 24 May 2006, 12:34   #8
big_tweek

Yeah, it would give more of an objective to the game...

Those that want to can go after certain objectives and recieve different things for taking over..

be sort of like a golden roid, only a bigger responsibility..

have take-over planets: research planets, construction planets, production planets, mining planets etc etc.....

there's a million things that can be added to the game with this kind of game play...
Just gotta use your imagination.

If I wasn't so lazy right now, I could add a long list of things.
Unread 24 May 2006, 12:47   #9
big_tweek

I was just reading the thread about multiple accounts

Something that would be cool would be able to capture empty planets, then manage those planets like your own, build, research etc etc etc....

you can have a link on the left side of the screen where you can click, then you'll be on the overview screen of your other planets....
Unread 24 May 2006, 14:19   #10
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

Im trying to keep an open mind about this, but im not sure that emulating another game that has a completely different structure is the way to go, I dunno, maybe more examples would help.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2006, 15:14   #11
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure this could turn into a great game, but it wouldn't be PA anymore, imo. I like PA the way it is, from the gameplay. You could, though, take the PA code as basis and work on a second game the way you suggested. And let PA be PA for the rest of this world's existance =P.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote