User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Nov 2008, 03:35   #1
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts
New players and planetarion..

its been years since i played planetarion, back in round... 8 or 9 and i since it's been such a long time planetarion will probably be a completely new game to learn...

How accessible is planetarion for new gamers, because from what i remember from trying to get back into it a couple of years ago, alliances were set up and it was pretty much a old-timers game..

what features of the game make it easier for a new player to play.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2008, 11:54   #2
RuBBeR
speCTacular

RuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura about
Re: New players and planetarion..

Hello and welcome back to planetarion.

A lot of features have (re)entered the game and some have gone.
I don't go so far back in PA that I can tell you all the details but I'l try.

For instance their is a 5th race called ETD. They are a combination of the other 4 races, so they will have some emp ships, some steal ships and some cloak.

Furthermore fuel costs have left the game and so is attacking multiple ticks.
Salvage no longer "floats" around the planet where the ships died but is directly distributed amongst the defenders, the player who lost the most ships also gets the most salvage.

Multi targeting has also made it's return, I don't know what round they changed it to solo targeting, but some rounds ago they changed it back again.

Theirs a new scan about that everybody can use to scan the planet your attacking to see if they have def for your wave or not. You don't see the amount of ships but distorter's are neglected by this scan.
Furthermore "hidden" production is now shown on planetscans.

Covert ops has been introduced into the game a long time ago, and has been drastically changed "last round?"

The amount of planets in the universe has drastically decreased leaving only a handful of competitive alliances left in the game.
This said, it will be hard to get into one of those alliances from the get go, unless you know anybody from when you played back then.

Anyway good luck and have fun
R30 BREAK

RuBBeR has a speCTacular aura about
RuBBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2008, 02:31   #3
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

well..

how do Galaxies work, in the old days you used to be in a certain galaxy and then maybe there were one or two players in the galaxy that were in the click and got us into an alliance....

but then i heard about how people had the option to exiling members out of their galaxies... seems like something like that makes it impossible for new players to get into decent alliances, does that still go on?

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2008, 04:23   #4
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar View Post
well..

how do Galaxies work, in the old days you used to be in a certain galaxy and then maybe there were one or two players in the galaxy that were in the click and got us into an alliance....
pretty much the same thing nowadays

but dont expect to do too much involving your galaxy, they dont mean as much as they used to

Quote:
but then i heard about how people had the option to exiling members out of their galaxies... seems like something like that makes it impossible for new players to get into decent alliances, does that still go on?
its not impossible, honestly, youll probably end up joining a lower ranked one to start off with just so you can get your bearings and move up from there, if you learn quickly enough, you could probably get into one of the top alliances within a couple rounds unless you run into someone you know from way back when, in which case it could be quicker.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2008, 09:45   #5
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
its been years since i played planetarion, back in round... 8 or 9 and i since it's been such a long time planetarion will probably be a completely new game to learn...

How accessible is planetarion for new gamers, because from what i remember from trying to get back into it a couple of years ago, alliances were set up and it was pretty much a old-timers game..

what features of the game make it easier for a new player to play.
Im a returning player from round 5-8ish and ive managed to fight for a top10 spot (until i got podded) and now settling for top50.

Its basically the same game as it was all those years ago, afew new things have been added but the basics of the game is still the same.

1. You can que constructions now, so you dont need to be come online all the time to do them.
2. You can stop research in the middle of it, so if you're not going to be online when it finishes.. you can simply stop the research and start researching something else (which takes longer so it wont finish while your offline) then when you come back online you can continue with your previous research (so you dont miss research time).
3. You have to research the ability to mine roids, this has a huge effect on new players.. as it means that people wont be attacking for roids as much in the early ticks (as they have to wait for research to catch up).
4. Cov-ops has been added into the game but newer players wont ever need it as you wont get noticed. Its only when you get higher up in the ranks/roids that you need to bother getting immune.
5. 5 races to suit your playing style.
6. Alliance Tag limit to 75. So only 75 people can be in any alliance at one time, this means that there's more alliances and as such easier to get into one.
7. Random galaxys with 5 priv members each via buddy pack. This means that even if you know no-one, there's a pretty good chance that you'll end up in a semi-decent galaxy anyway (and if you dont, you could always exile until you land in one).
8. Population, you can set your population to increase productivity in certain area's of the game. (Goverment as well).
9. Quests are implemented to help you get a semi-decent start... Following them isnt necessarily the best start but its much better than doing random things.
10. Attack Limit, you cannot attack people under a certain size %. This means that the top players cant bash the very smaller players.. lowering your chance of being attacked.
11. XP added into the game, You get it for attacking bigger players and defending. It cannot be taken away and is a huge factor in deciding who finishes #1 etc.. So its another incentive for players to attack larger players rather than n00b bashing.
12. No Fleet Fuel costs, it costs you nothing to launch your fleets.
13. Pre-Launch, you can now set your fleet to launch in advance, so you can set it to launch at 3am while you're tucked up asleep.
14. No longer need to research waves in order to initate/find more roids.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2008, 03:35   #6
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Constructions (renamed structures) are now seperated from the tech tree of old (r1-r9).

Structures now need to be built and can be destroyed (with ST killer Ships). The more stuctures of a type you have the more benefit you gain in a certain area. Structures now range from Ship Factories to Resource Mines, Security Centers to Research Labs, and more. In effect there is a structure for every game type you wish play.

As previoulsy mentioned, Covert-Ops has now become a new way to play the game. You can also gain XP for every succesful Operation you perform.

Scanners (Also known as a "Support Planet"), are now a viable option and are requirement by alliances (and also approved by PA). In my own opinion, I believe wave distorters and amps should just be removed altogether, but thats a discussion for a different thread.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote