User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 10 Jan 2007, 12:37   #51
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold
Re: Neg Reps

Neg Reps 9 Jan 2007 22:41 I disapprove of your posting in general because your name is too short and you smell of stoom's semen (anon neg rep ftw)

this rep amused me. kudos to whoever gave me it

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 12:45   #52
Walldo
Stealth & Shadows

Walldo is on a distinguished road

CBA, why whining about neg rep's, atleast some people are giving attention to you.

Negative attention is still attention.

Be happy, that someone borthered to neg rep you

and CBA, just CBA alot more !

Playing since RND1 and counting

Proud to have been

Newdawn

Wolfpack - WPO - OoO - Kralizec Stealth & Shadows - []LCH[] - [1up] - VisioN - TFD
Ultores - Conspiracy Theory - Concordium - WaC - Blue Tuba - Fury - Thieves & Pirates - OUZO -Vengeance - Elysium - Mistu - LOST - 4S - GoCi - FAnG - Novus Ordo Seclorum - Xanadu - BULL - VGN -xVx
Walldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 13:42   #53
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Your Reputation Power is 0 Points

all i can spread is white dots so no biggie

robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:24   #54
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

hey i think i've gone back in time

by the way horn leshy is right the whole 'exactly why is it that you debase people's valuation of you simply because while conversing your facial expressions aren't on show?' thing makes no sense grammatically or in any other way i can imagine
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:39   #55
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

multiple postings ftl > here comes the negrep !

ps: How can i edit out siggy out of the post ? I hate the way it looks stupid with 2 lines text and 10 lines of siggy :/

Last edited by Mighteh; 10 Jan 2007 at 15:49.
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:40   #56
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Planetarion Discussion I can see theres alot going on in the universe atm

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:43   #57
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
Planetarion Discussion I can see theres alot going on in the universe atm
There is currently no round taking place...

PS When you go to advanced post there's an option just below your post which says "show your signature" and has a tickbox. Wax on, wax off.
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:46   #58
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
PS When you go to advanced post there's an option just below your post which says "show your signature" and has a tickbox. Wax on, wax off.
Then why don't you use it? :/

Retired
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:49   #59
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Then why don't you use it? :/
That portion of my post was aimed at mighteh who asked how to switch off his signature precisely one post above yours.
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:50   #60
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i bet he's still posting in reply to the first post. just wait till he sees all this!
crazy!
i've only been id'ed 3 times since i turned a MAN (back in sept) how frustrating console me
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:50   #61
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

ty JBG. ure my hero

oooh... lookie, got a new one

Neg Reps 10 Jan 2007 09:45 this is a shit post, either neg rep me or make a post, don't try and come across as a hero fighting a cause that isn't there. you sig is also shit. -****

made me lol

and yes, its signed woot !

edit: and my siggy is just for people like you
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:50   #62
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Quote:
That portion of my post was aimed at mighteh who asked how to switch off his signature precisely one post above yours.
And I thought it was another whine about my signature :P my apologises Seems I'm not always centre of attention :/

Retired
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 15:56   #63
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
1: you can judge the validity/value of the criticism for yourself with more (often crucial) information at your disposal.
No, you can't. To judge whether you deem a giving of rep to be valid or invalid, you need to know the reason why someone repped you, not whom repped you.
Quote:
2: it will prevent people from neg repping for reasons that corrupt the rather noble ideals of the rep system.
Yes, it will add a barrier to the giving of negative rep in order to prevent people from neg repping you back. However, this affects both invalid and valid neg rep pretty much equally, and brings the added disadvantage of people giving neg rep out of spite; which means that this particular solution brings back the exact same problem it attempts to solve, merely in a different form.
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 16:01   #64
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Seems I'm not always centre of attention :/
CBA seems to have beaten you to the focal point of the universe for a brief while. Hi.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 16:23   #65
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

neg rep threads deserve neg rep - tsm
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 16:44   #66
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I see the purpose neg rep has for critique purposes. However people tend to dish it out to anyone that doesn't share their exact same views or thoughts on a subject or discussion.

There seems to be little or no repsect for another mans (or womans) opinion. I've always been brought upto have respect for what other people think and when discussing it keeping in mind that fact when challenging their arguements. This doesn't appear to happen ever on the internet. I think mostly becuase of the fact the internet is so impersonal. It's just text on a page, there is no emotion or body language to read in the words.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 16:59   #67
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
u shud go in2 sicology

edit: that was pretty uncalled for, sorry marv it's just that all this has been said before
Probably.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 17:25   #68
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
ok because above, you were saying the only measure of validy was whether the repper took the time to rep you or not.
No, that wasn't what I was saying.

I did say that you could consider the actual presence of rep as a sign of validity, considering your post would already have made enough impression to convince someone to give out rep. However, the only real measure on whether you can consider rep to be valid is if there is a reason given that allows you to see whether there is some logic behind the giving of rep, or whether it was just random for no good reason.

And no, knowing who gave you rep - be it with or without comment, does not help you determine this anymore other than for the assumption that someone is giving you neg rep out of spite, which does not need to be the case. I've gotten both positive and negative rep from the same people, and have likewise given positive and negative rep to the same people in the past.
I've read it. Your argumention in that post is nonsensical, given the fact that it relies on other people seeing what reputation has been given to a certain post. This implies that people are actively checking each post to see what reputation has been given to it, which simply doesn't happen.

So far your entire argument seems to boil down to "I want to see who neg repped me so I can disagree with that ****er's reason because he just dislikes me and lied about his reason to neg rep me, the twat", which is exactly why the rep system should remain anonymous, if anything.
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 18:33   #69
jerome

i just read through a few pages of that thread again, it was a very enjoyable read

horn honey i forgot how manipulative you are, that thread shows more similarities between you and yahwe than i'd have hoped for though
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 19:20   #70
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
you wrote this on my birthday :crymeariver:
well you do idle and post a lot on your bday now go away and do bday things

robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 19:59   #71
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
yeah i'm saying this is complete crap. unless by "valid", you literally mean "they repped you". which seems pretty worthless.
The fact that someone reps you either positively or negatively already implies that that person has taken notice of you in either a favourable or disfavourable manner. As such, the rep that they give merely reflects the change to your overall reputation within the community as a result of them taking notice of you.

And that holds true regardless of whether they even give a reason for repping you.

Quote:
ok, now what about the 95% of neg rep that offers either no reason at all for the rep or a pretty baseless "lol u suck". also, even if you got a short essay in the rep, it still doesn't mean you have the full reason for the rep. i'm fairly certain i could give "good" reasons to neg rep people despite the real reason for me doing so being that i just don't like them.
I fail to see how any of this is relevant to whether or not names are shown alongside the reputation, since giving no reason, or giving a false reason are seperate things from the issue at hand.
Quote:
are you seriously suggesting that because you have received neg and pos rep from the same user in the past that it shows anonymous neg reps aren't given out in spite?
Again, this is not at all what I'm saying - maybe I should spell things out for you.

You claimed that knowing who gave you reputation helps in determining whether it was valid. The only scenario in which this realistically can be true, is if you assume that someone else is giving you negative reputation because they dislike you, rather than the reason that they stated.
To that effect, I made the above reply; reputation can easily come either way from people that like you, as well as from people that dislike you. Whether or not their names are present on that reputation doesn't necessarily affect the veracity of their reasons for repping you.
Quote:
what do you mean it doesn't happen? was there some kind of a beta test i missed?
I dare to say with great confidence that the amount of people that actually sit there clicking each post's reputation button to see what other people said about that post is not particularly large, and that nearly all reputation given is only ever read by the recipient.

I'm willing to concede that I could be totally wrong on this, but it would very much surprise me.

Quote:
no, my argument(s) consist of deconstructing the supposed merits of having anoymous neg rep in the first place, then showing how unconcealed rep would be of bennefit to the community.
I have yet to see one solid argument from you in favour of signed reputation, whereas ironically, you keep throwing up arguments against it:
  • "If you can see the name of someone who repped you, you can decide whether they are lying or not."
    Of course, if names are revealed on reputation, you actually increase the chances that people will lie to you, rather than give you the truth anonymously.
  • "If you can see the names of people repping, people are less likely to give negative reputation without a good reason."
    Of course, there is little to no reason to assume that revealing names on reputation will actually change the amount of comment-less reputation. On the other hand it increases the chances that people will lie about their reasons for negatively repping you more, and it is very much probable that the amount of "revenge rep" will in fact increase, abusing the system even more. Additionally, it may put people off giving justified negative reputation out of fear for being neg repped in return.
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 20:39   #72
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

this conversation is truly pointless as long as people dont understand something.

Noone really gives a festering **** about rep points. But having it unsigned is like talking shit anonymously... Its a way to direct a personal attack. As such, it MUST have a name behind it. Otherwise u get can get bullshit like

I think you are shit, your mom sucks cock, and i hope u wither and die most horrible death -Mister "X" or -Zorro
(god i hope cussing filters are on)
It makes me cry on the inside that i do not know who reps me. Not because i would like revenge paid in blood, but because people would not say what they do in reps if they knew that their name will come out. and those blank ones that rep you just for the hell of the click.... Imho, thats even more important. when u rep someone, please tell them WHY u rep them one or anotehr way. otherwise WTF is the point ?

IF i see a red blob without anything, i know that some dick disagreed with what I said... and... thats it. :`(

Change repping rules. save a puppy.
See alot up there
But dont be scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 21:02   #73
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Neg Reps 10 Jan 2007 14:42 stop typing u for you like a spastic please, we pretend to be civilized here. Silversmoke

my new favorite neg rep
See alot up there
But dont be scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 15:06   #74
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
1: it would introduce the community to accountability.
2: it would curb shit neg reps.
3: it would curb circle jerking.
Circle jerkers almost always sign their reps.

Anyway horn, you care too much about what other people think.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 16:27   #75
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 16:45   #76
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
it's kept me alive so far!
But are you alive horn? Are you?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 17:29   #77
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
ok, you keep changing what you're saying. is a rep "valid" becuase of the reason behind it or because someone has taken the time to rep you?
I've never changed what I said. The only real meaningful way in which you can determine whether the rep that someone gives you is by having a description that you can either deem a valid or invalid reason for yourself. However, failing that, you could make the argument that reputation given is valid by default as per the arguments I outlined above.

Those are not contradictory statements, nor are they mutually exclusive.
Quote:
no they aren't. i'm saying that having your name next to the rep would prevent you from acting like an idiot under the guise of anonymity
Comedy "But this forum is full of people who are happy to act like idiots when their names are right next to their posts" option.

Quote:
i was suggesting something more like the PB system.
As far as I know is this not PB, and the system there only has a "thank you" function so that you can see who has given props to an individual post. How that is even comparable to the system on these forums, or how that is in fact not more of a circle-jerk than the reputation system here completely eludes me.

Quote:
1: it would introduce the community to accountability.
It would also introduce the concept of neg repping out of spite for neg rep received. You keep on completely ignoring the fact that making reputation named is easily open to more neg rep being given for improper reasons, the very thing that you are trying to solve.

Quote:
2: it would curb shit neg reps.
3: it would curb circle jerking.
I see absolutely no reason why 3 would be true - as Dante already said, and I even find 2 rather unlikely, given the fact that having your name next to rep does not prevent you in any way from leaving the field empty or lying about your reason to give out neg rep.

The system is already largely self-regulatory since people who are shitty posters and are likely to throw around shitty comments will likely have little to no reputation themselves, and as a result their positive or negative rep will hardly affect your rating.
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:24   #78
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
so you're saying that in lieu of satisfactory information to judge the validity of the rep, all rep should be considered valid?
Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Quote:
in respects to it being more of a circle-jerk... how? would you really want to lick someone elses arse in public? you'd look pathetic.
That's pretty much what the PB system is.

Quote:
no i don't, i just keep assuming you've read the post you said you had. i'll paste the relevant part...
Except that it's still, as I have stated earlier, a bunch of nonsense.

People cannot privately engage in a repping war because of the restrictions on repping the same person multiple times, and having public rep is of absolutely no use when people lie about why they are giving out rep, because their name is right next to it. If you give me neg rep on Planetarion Discussions, and for my revenge I give you negative rep saying "Please give your threads some actual content", no one but you is going to know that it's some form of 'revenge reputation'.

And yeah, I'd go around murdering people if it wasn't for people thinking I'd be petty and shit

Last edited by Leshy; 11 Jan 2007 at 19:35.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 15:10   #79
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
It also allows people to hound you without you finding out who they are

Actually, I reckon if you're in goods with someone with the "power" to see who has given whichever rep, you can actually just ask who gave a specific anonymous rep to you and get an answer. I'm quite convinced this happens, although I haven't yet made my way into a mod's message box with such requests. Assuming this happens, it effectively abolishes the claim that negreps are anonymous so you wouldn't get backfired; or at least for the inner circle it would do so. It's a 'tarded system nevertheless.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 15:39   #80
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Hey don't you know what they say? There is no inner circle!
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 17:06   #81
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
i know at least one user who does this. i don't doubt there are more.
Who? I mean no offence here but if you don't give me some proof of this you can **** right off because I've lost track of the number of people I've had to say no to on this point.
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 17:34   #82
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Delete this thread, deal with the fact that you got a bunch of neg rep and move on. Make some decent posts and get some positive rep back. No one cares about their Internet Points anyway.
Edit: Apparently I did indeed add my name. I'm a proper Internet Tough Guy I am
So after complain about this thread and telling CBA to delete it you go on to reply 11 times!!! This thread has over 1000 views So maybe it does interest people more than you think.

When I was new and got my self some negative reputation it did sort of worry me as It felt like I done something wrong and that maybe people wouldn’t bother to read my threads cos I was scum. Kind of like if you where a woman and people started to call you a slut.

I now know not to take it so seriously but it’s a bit rich you guys beating up on CBA when you yourselves have like several million pos reps!
CBA, People who neg rep you are just upset at losing the argument and couldn’t think of anything clever to say. So maybe we should all be like leshy and use it as a badge of honour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
its useless trying marv, Evidently he doesnt want to listen - only to whine
P.S Phill and stoom stop whining.
zokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 21:34   #83
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Who? I mean no offence here but if you don't give me some proof of this you can **** right off because I've lost track of the number of people I've had to say no to on this point.
I know at least one user too.
The story continues in your private mailbox.

edit. True, JBG had it correct.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 13 Jan 2007 at 21:43.
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 21:50   #84
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokka
So after complain about this thread and telling CBA to delete it you go on to reply 11 times!!!
Yes. A discussion has sprung up in this thread which has captured my interest. However, the possibility that a proper discussion might start in an otherwise useless thread is no argument in favour of useless threads.
Quote:
CBA, People who neg rep you are just upset at losing the argument and couldn’t think of anything clever to say.
No, generally people who neg rep you think you said something stupid and/or useless.

The fact that I have trillions of pos rep (it's actually nearly off the human scale, I have to scroll right for about three minutes to get to the end of the number) has nothing to do with whether someone else makes a good post or a crappy one.
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 08:56   #85
JonnyBGood
Banned

The enabling of reputation on this forum has been an interesting enough social experiment in terms of internet communities. How should reputation work and how does it really work in reality. I think, in general, we'd all like reputation to be a perfect barometer of how good a poster you actually are. However there are, obviously, problems with this. For one we all have different ideas of what makes up a good poster. I seem to encounter people who think posting pleasant banalities at a rate of knots is somehow beneficial to a forum. On the other hand I personally view the existence of people who post two word compliments in any thread as an offense so vile it's sufficient proof for the existence of the devil.

Equally we rarely want to admit we're actually not good at posting on the internet. A lot of people when they get neg-repped seem to have this bizzare desire to let the entire world know they've been neg-repped and it a) doesn't bother them b) is unjustified or c) proves their point from earlier. Trust me, all it proves is that someone disagreed with your initial post and maybe you should briefly reflect, aided hopefully by the helpful comment left, as to why this post may have been of poor quality. If we do admit to making poor posts it's usually closely followed by "if ur gd at posting on the internet it means u have no life lol" or some variant of the above. The idea here being that by belittling something being inexcusably rubbish at it becomes, well, excusable. It's a rare man who will type out something, read back over it and correct it hoping to make it a better post instead of just mashing their face into the keyboard and praying the post submits. That's sort of why reputation might never work.

How we hope reputation works is that people get positive repped for good posts they make and are therefore more likely to repeat posts involving the same techniques of internet posting again. Conversely if people make bad posts they get neg-repped and are therefore likely to think about where they went wrong and how they can correct this in future. Eventually this leads to a community of brilliant posters who possess such dazzling charm, wit and command of the english language that even the sun god himself wears tinted shades when looking straight at the forum. There is no intrinsic reason why the above doesn't work and to a certain extent it probably has worked slightly along those lines. Most of the people I recognise as good posters have fairly high rep, whether they've actually achieved this due to being positive repped for good posts is a different issue.

Since the reputation system was introduced I've seen some very clear, and fairly disheartening examples of circle-jerk repping. By now, I think, most of this has stopped, hopefully due to some sort of internet cull of stupid people. I mean, you don't have to take the internet seriously or anything but if you want to make a big joke out of it at least try to make it funny. Or absurd. Or some adjectivised combination of the aforementioned. I think positive rep certainly has served to increase the amount of goodwill on the forums. Personally I like to throw a little party each time I get pos-repped. Neg-repping has increased the amount of illwill on the forums and unfortunately with anonymous repping this illwill becomes slightly unfocused and instead of that appalling pm you receive on irc from someone who disagreed with some utterly insignificant point in a post you can barely remember making now we get people spewing their tripe (delightful image I thought) all over threads people are actually desperately struggling through in the vain goal of finding a post that doesn't make them wish Al Gore had just really not been arsed that day he invented the internet as a replacement for morse code.

The idea that rep is valueless is missing the point. Reputation is designed to be there to help people think and to offer a gentle pat on the ass to people who do well while offering a firm dick up the ass to people who don't do so well. The second thing is relevant only because people act differently based on it for some god unknown reason and the first is obviously a personal reaction thing. Reputation is a tool which people are free to use and act on in any way they wish to. If you want to stay up at night and worry about your last neg rep because you're a whiny neurotic feel free to do so. If you want don't even want to read it, don't bother looking at your user CP. Just for the love of god don't start another thread about it
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 17:52   #86
JonnyBGood
Banned

I guess I could enforce a ban on people posting about rep. That would certainly ease my mind anyways.
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 17:52   #87
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
i'll pm you /o\

...and is anything actually going to get done about the rep problem?
No, viewing anonymous reps is a power only granted for moderators to (ab)use. The rest of it seems like planned forum function. If something was to be done, wouldn't you expect it had been done during the dozen previous threads?
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 18:07   #88
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
No, viewing anonymous reps is a power only granted for moderators to (ab)use.
As JBG has already said, any abuse of the ability to view reps will be taken very seriously. If there is a problem, inform him as opposed to shouting about it on the forum.
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 20:09   #89
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Ban rep thread starters!

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 05:48   #90
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Only true faggots neg rep people and unless you have 10 green dots in front of your name and over 1k posts your just going to get abused by those who do
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 08:18   #91
.Disc.

.Disc. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Only true faggots neg rep people and unless you have 10 green dots in front of your name and over 1k posts your just going to get abused by those who do

my view is, kill keizari/keizafk whatever his name is, he neg reps more than a 13 yo wanks, its crazy, half of em are for pure shit reasons neway. so, slay keizafk, u sort the problem, simple
.Disc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 08:51   #92
Tietäjä
Good Son

Oh, actually, I do posrep more. A lot more. Why am I even answering.
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 08:54   #93
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

:crymeariver: This thread makes baby jesus want to go on a murderous rampage
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 16:43   #94
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
you may have missed it but jj made an announcement stating that anonymous neg rep was to be done away with. there has been no follow up action or announcement. either would be nice.
The question is do we need (not me personally but I can see why it is brought back up on a regular basis due to inaction) to keep bring up the same type of thread until something is done... either an accouncement even if it is a "Cant be arsed to change the stats quo" and talk a good game or the annon rep gets repealled even if it takes a bit of work/coding etc?

Is this asking for too much?
Or ladies and gentlemens.....we bring bring you revealled rep.
lets us all know please.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 16:18   #95
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

and btw, to the europeen smartass who thinks he knows shit about baseball (in rep) :

I am not a red sox... spy... If i were i'd be rich. I wish i was tho.
other then that, go Bombers ! Ignorant europeen twat.
See alot up there
But dont be scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg